“setting To Success” 2016

coilyhaircutie

Welcome @danysedai ! Girl your hair already looks like MBL to me.

Hey ladies, tonight I'm trying to figuring out what to do with this hair. I've done the pin under style above Mon-Wed. Now it won't work anymore because it rained today, so the curls have fallen and my hair is beautifully frizzy haha.

Will attempt this style and wear it for the rest of the week. Wish me luck.

hairdo.jpg

coilyhaircutie

Here's how my hair ended up turning out. I'm happy with it. I'll play around with it more next time so it looks more loose and relaxed like the tutorial.
DSCN0387.jpg
DSCN0389.jpg
Going to un pin the braids, moisturize my hair in the braids tonight and pin them back up tomorrow morning. Never knew protective styling could be so low key. I'm loving the laziness I can have with my hair now. Moisturize, wear the same style for 3 days, and it loves me. Retains length like a weed lol.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Here's how my hair ended up turning out. I'm happy with it. I'll play around with it more next time so it looks more loose and relaxed like the tutorial.
View attachment 350311
View attachment 350313
Going to un pin the braids, moisturize my hair in the braids tonight and pin them back up tomorrow morning. Never knew protective styling could be so low key. I'm loving the laziness I can have with my hair now. Moisturize, wear the same style for 3 days, and it loves me. Retains length like a weed lol.

@coilyhaircutie Nice!

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Question of the Week:

Ladies, do you roll down or up?

It depends on the area.

My rolling style is the Mohawk. I start with the middle row and go top to bottom. Roll the first roller going towards my forehead, all other rollers going down towards the floor. The right and left sides of the Mohawk, I roll up towards the sky. So....Middle down to the floor....sides up to the sky. That's how my sister explained it when she taught me...it was catchy and easy for me to remember.

toaster

@lulu97 I bought two packs as well!

I'm under the dryer now, but in anticipation of my new rollers I used my hourglass rollers which I think are 1 3/4 inch, and I did the mohawk method! I even used the metal clips. I feel like a real setter now. I used 17 rollers so I think my two packs will be great.

I highly recommend the hourglass rollers to anyone who's hair isn't long enough for the 2 inch mesh roller group buy right now. They are vented for quicker dry time, and the plastic grips are sooo helpful with getting straight ends.

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
Do you like them? I would buy a bigger size but I got the French mesh.

Please don't tell me you love them or that I need both. :drunk:
I ordered French Mesh too, lol! I need to practice with them. I think the hourglass shape threw me off. Well hayle, I need to practice period. :look:

toaster

I ordered French Mesh too, lol! I need to practice with them. I think the hourglass shape threw me off. Well hayle, I need to practice period. :look:

I bought the hourglass years ago and couldn't figure them out. After practicing for the past 10ish weeks every week I'm pretty convinced I could roll on anything. I wonder if the hourglass is more pronounced in the bigger rollers? Mine is a pretty slight indentation so the regular duckbill clips worked fine.

I'm seriously so excited for those mesh rollers. But I blame you for telling me I need them.

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
@toaster I certainly will let y'all know. I plan to learn how to perfect my roller sets this year. I've gotten into a rut with my hair and I need to expand my hair style repertoire.

So talk to me about the hourglass shaped rollers. Why is the learning curve more difficult?

toaster

@mzteaze For me, I wasn't used to using rollers without snap covers. Before I bought them a few years ago I didn't use metal clips, so I couldn't get the hang of it.

Today's set went really well, so I'm hoping it wasn't a fluke. I used the regular duckbill clips (two for the Mohawk and one for the rollers on the side). I will say, with flat rollers you can probably anchor one roller to your head and clip the rest of the rollers to one another, but because of the hourglass shape you can't really connect two rollers. But it wasn't a problem.

I highly recommend them.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Last post! Sorry! Just googled and my hourglass rollers are 1.5 inches. Those 2 inch french rollers are going to be huge! Wow.

What size rollers do you ladies use for your hair length?

@toaster I use the pink ones with the snap on caps the most...not sure of the size...I think maybe 1 1/2 inch? I also use my grey rollers too from time to time and they are 2 inches.

Last edited:

Blairx0

Hey ladies!

My hair and i have been chilling. With using heat the frizz stays at bay much longer, so I didn't set or wash last weekend. Now I am preparing to rinse out my conditioner and roll. I really like the braided style you posted, @coilyhaircutie. I think I may try that for style week 2. I am going to set today and right before I leave for a work trip at the end of the month!

I miss playing in my hair, but I enjoyed the weekend off from hair care. Depending on how my hair responds I may wash bi-monthly and just oil my hair scalp as needed.

coilyhaircutie

What size rollers do you ladies use for your hair length?
Every week - I use the long 14" curlformers.
Very rarely - I use the green jumbo perm rods from Sally's - 7/8"
Occasionally - I use purple & gray flexirods on dry/damp hair (not sure about the diameter)
When I want to look cayute/wear my hair out during the week - I use soft, satin rollres. Haven't done that in a long while.