Daina

Going to attempt my first set today...pray my strength!

I think it came out pretty good for my first set!!!! I put in pin curls for church tomorrow. I will be back with a more detailed update, too tired tonight. I learned a lot and have a bunch of questions for the rollersetting OG's to improve my pimp game with the sets!

Attachments

• 20170107_185513.jpg
    632.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 20170107_191630.jpg
    707.9 KB · Views: 34

Daina

Thanks @MileHighDiva! I really like it for stretching the hair and as an alternative to twisting or braiding.

Details:
I used Aphogee green tea and keratin reconstructor, lotta body coconut styling lotion and Cream of Nature 7-in-1 leave-in treatment. Need some advice on what products to use that won't leave my hair so dry? Especially at the roots where there is a lot of texture? Were the roots not wet enough, I was really surprised by the dryness?

It took me an hour and 49 minutes to finish the set. Getting the rolling technique down was half the battle! My roots suffered and didn't get as straight because I kept losing the angle. Ok setting OG's, what is the max time it should take to finish setting? I thought my arms were going to fall off! My hair is between MBL and WL is there an easier way to set the hair once I get to the back? I've watched a ton of videos but how do you keep the right angle while rolling?

I sat under the dryer for 90 minutes not sure if my hair over dried? I wanted to make sure it was dry and I dried on high heat most of the time. Should I turn the dryer down to medium?

All in all I think setting will be a great option for me just have to get better technique. My husband was home today and occupied my 2 year old. But if he's not here it's going to be hard to dedicate 4 hours to my hair with rolling and drying. Has anyone here ever done a silk roller wrap? Was watching a Mo Knows video and I see she likes that technique.

For now I am going to try to set once a month, I actually enjoyed it!

LavenderMint

Current hair length: shoulder
Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Loc'd: natural
Current Setting method and styling choices: flexi-rods & curlformers
Current Setting products: carol's daughter hair milk styling foam, CRN curl maker
How long have you been setting? First timer!
Thing(s) you would like to work on/are hoping to achieve: new styling options, fall/winter hair fun since my spring/summer hair is usually a wash and go
How often do you plan to set?: at least twice a month since I'm a weekly washer.
Currently working on a ponytail flexirod set. Hair plan for the week is a bun. Hopefully it works! Will post pics either way.
Eta: have already learned the 7in flexirods are too short, even for my ponytail hair

Last edited:

Browndilocks

Browndisha Brownie Sundae
Haven't washed my hair in 2 weeks and last time I washed, I straightened. So this week's focus is on moisture & strengthening. I'm using:

Moroccanoil Hydrating Shampoo
Moroccanoil Smoothing Conditioner
Moroccanoil Restorative Hair Mask
It's a Ten to set
Purple Magnetics for a tighter curl
Moroccanoil Original oil for after the rollers come out

Attachments

• IMG_2830.JPG
    IMG_2830.JPG
    579.8 KB · Views: 48

imaginary

Did another lazy perm rod set this week. This one was a bit more sloppily done so the base of my braids were frizzier but I didn't care, just wanted my hair done quickly. Next wash day will have to be a hard protein treatment, so I may break out the curlformers.

AgeinATL

Gonna experiment with using perm rods on the ends of my twists to keep my ends smoothed/stretched.

@Daina

Need some advice on what products to use that won't leave my hair so dry? Especially at the roots where there is a lot of texture? Were the roots not wet enough, I was really surprised by the dryness? Try scrapping the aphogee green tea and keratin reconstructor. Sometimes protein leave-ins can make your set hard. Is the lotta body a setting product? If so, try scrapping that too. Those can also leave a set feeling dry and crunchy. Try a moisturizing , creamy, light leave-in conditioner or a really light-weight hair milk and just plain old water. You may also try adding a serum to help add slip, softness and shine.

Ok setting OG's, what is the max time it should take to finish setting? I thought my arms were going to fall off! I think it took a minute because this was your first set. My first set took over two hours (when I was relaxed). Your first set will always take the longest because you are learning the process. Once you get the hang of it, that time will be shorter. I don't think there is a max time, it depends on so many factors and it varies from person to person.

My hair is between MBL and WL is there an easier way to set the hair once I get to the back? I've watched a ton of videos but how do you keep the right angle while rolling? I use the mohawk method and I roll up to get my roots flatter. It also makes it a bit easier to roll the back section of the mohawk. I pull my hair to the side, place the roller on top of the hair and roll up.
Rolling down: vs
Rolling up: (the method that I use)

Should I turn the dryer down to medium? I dry on medium-high for an hour and then a lower setting for another hour. Definitely experiment with how long your hair needs to dry. Try an hour, take out a roller or two to see if your hair is dry. Overdrying a set can cause your roots to be crispy (in addition to using the wrong products to set).

Has anyone here ever done a silk roller wrap? Was watching a Mo Knows video and I see she likes that technique. I have not tried one yet.

Just keep practicing. Play around with products, roller placement, drying times, and roller sizes. Good luck!

Daina

@AgeinATL, thank you so much! All very good suggestions that I will incorporate next time. I think you are definitely spot on about the Aphogee and the crispness at the roots you described is exactly what I had. I think I stayed under the dryer way too long. I will watch the videos you posted above as well...my arms were so tired and I started getting hand cramps from the pins! I rolled the majority up but by the end I was going in both directions just to get done.

AgeinATL

@AgeinATL, thank you so much! All very good suggestions that I will incorporate next time. I think you are definitely spot on about the Aphogee and the crispness at the roots you described is exactly what I had. I think I stayed under the dryer way too long. I will watch the videos you posted above as well...my arms were so tired and I started getting hand cramps from the pins! I rolled the majority up but by the end I was going in both directions just to get done.

Girl, I hear ya! After my first set, I wasn't sure I ever wanted to do one again! I loved the results, so I kept at it. I promise that you will get faster as you keep practicing. I really believe that rolling up will also make things a bit easier. Please keep us posted on your progress!

Beany

I set my hair yesterday and i didn't detangle well so my set wasn't as nice. I'm going to set again next week with a full detangling session. I start my new job on the 23rd and I need to get a feel for the environment to see if i can wear headwraps.

faithVA

Washed, DCd, colored and rollerset. I'm sitting under the dryer now. I've been under here for about 50 minutes. I'm going to check it at 1 hour and 15 minutes to see if it is dry. I didn't time the install but I'm sure it was quicker than the curlformers. I will see if it dries as quickly as curlformers.

How many rollers did I use? All of them :look: :lol: I will count when I take them down.

I don't plan on styling it. I just wanted to stretch before I put in my flat twist. I haven't done a rollerset in years so it was time. I'm currently in the green rollers. Can't wait until I graduate to the pink :yep:

faithVA

After 1 hour and 10 minutes my hair is still wet. I thought it would be. The question is would I rather the install be faster or the dry time be faster ? I'm not sure :lol: I guess during the winter having a longer dry time is fine. In the summer I don't want to be under the dryer very long.

I will wait until I take these out to see what they look like before drawing any conclusions.

faithVA

I didn't take pictures after I separated the curls. I started snipping splits and by the time I finished it was just sort of crazy looking. I put it into 9 flat twist. I would love to wear a flat twist out but I don't think it will last. So I will probably figure out some flat twist style to convert these too.

Overall, the rollerset is faster to install but much longer to dry. It stretches well but not as well as the curlformers. But it is wearable. It definitely stretches enough to put into flat twist. I think it may be better for my ends because the ends stay away from the heat. However, because it takes so long for my ends to dry, my roots end up extra crispy. The rollerset is easier to get under my dryer.

I may play around with it some more. What I need to figure out is, if I sit under the dryer for 1.5 hours, how much longer would I need for my hair to finish air drying?

I will keep working with the rollerset over the rest of the year to see how I can improve it.

AgeinATL

After 1 hour and 10 minutes my hair is still wet. I thought it would be. The question is would I rather the install be faster or the dry time be faster ? I'm not sure :lol: I guess during the winter having a longer dry time is fine. In the summer I don't want to be under the dryer very long.

I will wait until I take these out to see what they look like before drawing any conclusions.

I know what you mean. Rollerset are so much faster to do than curlformers but CF dry wayyyy faster. And I prefer the stretch that I get from a rollerset. I just hate the time it takes to dry and the longer that my hair gets, it takes even longer to dry.

imaginary

This is my struggle with perm rods. Super quick install, but the drying time is ridiculous when compared to culformers.

SuchaLady

Hey ladies. I did a rollerset last night to stretch my hair for a big bun for my birthday today :)

Couple thoughts about this. I didn't take a long time to roll my hair at all because I didn't care about parts. That's not a big enough deal for me right now. I do however need some rollerset friendly leave ins. I used CON Argan foam wrap and water but I want to use something moisturizing before hand that's creamy.

I think rollersetting will also be done on my protein weeks twice a month. All that combing on wet hair had me like :eek:

And the entire bottom row of my hair was still wet! I'm at a loss with that one because I am not looking to buy another dryer.

imaginary

Hey ladies. I did a rollerset last night to stretch my hair for a big bun for my birthday today :)

Couple thoughts about this. I didn't take a long time to roll my hair at all because I didn't care about parts. That's not a big enough deal for me right now. I do however need some rollerset friendly leave ins. I used CON Argan foam wrap and water but I want to use something moisturizing before hand that's creamy.

I think rollersetting will also be done on my protein weeks twice a month. All that combing on wet hair had me like :eek:

And the entire bottom row of my hair was still wet! I'm at a loss with that one because I am not looking to buy another dryer.

:birthday2:

You might have to twist your head around so that air gets to the back of your head more.

PlainJane

Between traveling and holiday functions, my hair is in bad shape. I probably used my flat iron more in December and January than I used it in the past two years.
And you know what? It wasn't even worth it. My hair was still frizzy and poofy after a few hours. SO even said "can you wear it curly (twist out) again? I like your hair that way."
I think I've finally learned my lesson :lol: I'm going to protective style and DC weekly until my hair feels normal again.

How do you all baby your hair after you've been neglecting it?

SuchaLady

@SuchaLady :happybirthday2: Have a blessed Born Day!

What kind of dryer are you using?

Thank you! A Gold N Hot Hooded dryer. This one.

upload_2017-1-15_21-29-59.jpeg

:birthday2:

You might have to twist your head around so that air gets to the back of your head more.

I did that and my bottom roller was still soaked! I may have to go down a size from the purple. I literally have nowhere to put another dryer :lol: Or either take the rollers from the top out after they dry and go back under

Attachments

• upload_2017-1-15_21-29-41.jpeg
    upload_2017-1-15_21-29-41.jpeg
    8.3 KB · Views: 22

sharifeh

chi silk infusion is a wonderful leave in for rollersets
protein week? you gotta share a regimen with your girl :look:

and happy birthday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

imaginary

Between traveling and holiday functions, my hair is in bad shape. I probably used my flat iron more in December and January than I used it in the past two years.
And you know what? It wasn't even worth it. My hair was still frizzy and poofy after a few hours. SO even said "can you wear it curly (twist out) again? I like your hair that way."
I think I've finally learned my lesson :lol: I'm going to protective style and DC weekly until my hair feels normal again.

How do you all baby your hair after you've been neglecting it?

Chelate, protein treatment and then a moisturising DC and then my hair is :happydance: