Evolving78

Under the dryer now. I spent. Off of the morning reorganization get. G rollers they where a mess.
I have a ton of rollers in a big trash bag. I got out the ones I wanted to use, but had to dig in there for 6 more. I know I got 20 plus rollers in my head! I wanna get rid of some. I don't wanna ever have to go back to the smaller ones. I won't say ever, I'm done with short hair for awhile.

Curls&Justice417

I threw in some satin rollers tonight on a whim after I washed my hair. My hair was pretty damp, but I blasted the blow dryer around my head on medium heat because I have no hooded dryer :lol:
I've been having a hard time styling my hair. Tonight after I clarified because I had so much product buildup and I used silk elements megasilk to DC and that was a disaster! My hair felt like hay, it was tangled, and DRY as a bone. I stood in front of the mirror with my jaw down to the floor. :eek: I don't know what happened because I used that conditioner before with mediocre results, but not terrible. I had to slather another conditioner on my head just to get a comb through it. :nono:

Sorry to derail the thread I'm just venting lol. I really hope this set turns out decent.

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
I'm sorry to hear that you had a ruff wash day! I'd freak out if my hair felt like hay. What poo did you clarify with?

Can you buy one of those soft hoods that you attach to the handheld blow dryer, until you get a dryer?

I don't do mediocre products on my hair. If they don't make my hair feel fabulous, I don't mess with it. Throw that SE Mega Silk out, or give it to someone that loves it.

Have you tried Joico Moisture Retention Balm?

Can't wait to see your results.

Evolving78

I threw in some satin rollers tonight on a whim after I washed my hair. My hair was pretty damp, but I blasted the blow dryer around my head on medium heat because I have no hooded dryer :lol:
I've been having a hard time styling my hair. Tonight after I clarified because I had so much product buildup and I used silk elements megasilk to DC and that was a disaster! My hair felt like hay, it was tangled, and DRY as a bone. I stood in front of the mirror with my jaw down to the floor. :eek: I don't know what happened because I used that conditioner before with mediocre results, but not terrible. I had to slather another conditioner on my head just to get a comb through it. :nono:

Sorry to derail the thread I'm just venting lol. I really hope this set turns out decent.
When you clarify, do you follow up with a Moisturizing shampoo? And was the SE conditioner in the tan jar, or the green? If it was the green, you just gave yourself a protein treatment. And drying your hair on the satin foam rollers wasn't a good idea either. When your hair is damp, you need rollers that will allow air to circulate and to get the hair smooth as possible. I can airdry with rollers, some can't, but you can always get you a soft bonnet and attach it to your dryer. Sally's has one that's $5-$8 I think? That SE is a pretty nice conditioning treatment, it just depends on which on you used. But things work differently for others. Like Joico doesn't work for me, due to the protein in it.

And from your post, it sounds like you have been trying to figure out some things. Can you bun your hair? Get some goody Spin pins, some good day hair pins, and bun your hair, if you can. Just do this until you can figure out what style would work for you creating.

Curls&Justice417

I used the one in the tan jar. For my clarifying poo I used ORS creamy aloe because it also gets rid of mineral deposits. I've used it for years with no problem. It always made my hair soft despite the harsh ingredients. I never followed up with a moisturizing poo because I didn't want to "over shampoo" and since I'd be dcing anyway I never thought to do it. Something occurred to me though. When I was putting the DC in it didn't feel the same as the first time. Almost sudsy. And my hair was soooo dry. I don't think I washed that damn shampoo out of my hair completely! So basically I DCed shampoo into my hair for 7 minutes with heat.:nono:

And yes, I do plan on getting some type of dryer for my hair. I feel like it's essential. My birthday and Christmas is coming up after all. I've always had a difficult time using any other rollers but practice is key I suppose.
And yeah bunning and doing twisted updos is in the near future for sure lol

Thanks ladies!

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
Wow I miss roller setting my hair :cry:
I will definitely be back when I have more than 3 inches :yep: :lol:

Willing to help out any naturals with setting tips....here's a flexirod set a few months ago before I shaved my head. I have a frizz halo because I never wear scarves but I think you can see in the pic I get fairly smooth results with 4a/4b hair

Attachments

• IMG_0291.JPG
    IMG_0291.JPG
    163.3 KB · Views: 97

faithVA

Willing to help out any naturals with setting tips....here's a flexirod set a few months ago before I shaved my head. I have a frizz halo because I never wear scarves but I think you can see in the pic I get fairly smooth results with 4a/4b hair
Pretty. I can't believe you cut off all of that hair.

Dee-Licious

Spill the deets! What are your setting tips for 4a/4b?

Curls&Justice417

My set was a disaster! It reminded me of that episode of the Golden Girls where they get their hair done with Sophia Petrillo's hairdresser. :lachen:

I just finger combed it and bobby pinned it back. It doesn't help that my hair was still as dry as the Sahara, especially my ends. They aren't splitting or damaged. I just got my hair cut in October and have been babying my ends. They're not breaking off yet thankfully but they are rougher than they've been in forever. My hair felt beautiful up until now. Hopefully after a good hot oil treatment and moisturizing deep conditioner it'll be fine:(

Are the magnetic rollers the easiest to use for newbies?

faithVA

My set was a disaster! It reminded me of that episode of the Golden Girls where they get their hair done with Sophia Petrillo's hairdresser. :lachen:

I just finger combed it and bobby pinned it back. It doesn't help that my hair was still as dry as the Sahara, especially my ends. They aren't splitting or damaged. I just got my hair cut in October and have been babying my ends. They're not breaking off yet thankfully but they are rougher than they've been in forever. My hair felt beautiful up until now. Hopefully after a good hot oil treatment and moisturizing deep conditioner it'll be fine:(

Are the magnetic rollers the easiest to use for newbies?
I have used them all and I find curlformers to be the easiest to use and the most consistent.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
Spill the deets! What are your setting tips for 4a/4b?
Sure!
-I think flexirods are the easiest types of rollers to get a smooth set on natural hair. You're able to get a lot of tension almost up to the scalp. Specifically, the orange flexirods. When I flexirod, I only have to tap the root with a flatiron for an extra smooth finish and I'm good. Once you get flexirods down, you will find them easy.

-If you don't want that spiral curl, go up to the gray or green flexirods and don't place them vertically. This type of larger roller will likely require you to flatiron the root for a smooth look.

-Your hair must be kept soaking wet the entire time OR should be blowdried/stretched almost straight. When I set 4b hair (cousins), I sometimes like to blowdry it and then add my wrap foam for some hold and I get the hair very smooth.

-My favorite products: deep conditioner of your choice, light leave in (Miss Jessie's), foam wrap (Elasta QP), serum with cones (that fake Argan Oil from Sally's).

-I think serums with cones are kinda key to setting natural hair. They make it easier to use a fine tooth comb, which results in a smooth set. I haven't ever found a cone-free product that imparts that silky quality to the hair, so i kinda stopped looking. cones don't bother me anyways.

-Finer strands will=smoother set, regardless of texture, so just accept that and work with with you got. I can get my baby cousins fine 4b hair much smoother than another cousin who has more coarse type 3.

Hope that helps!
I will also drop in here from time to time when I have more hair to work with too. :yep:

faithVA

Girl i wish somebody had reminded how much i hate this growing out stage :cry:
i LOVE that bald look and then i LOVE when i get back to about neck length. In between is just :nono: like i considered relaxing the other day, i was so irritated. but i'm gonna persevere and stay up in that SL challenge for support.
I like the bald look to. I will keep an eye on you.