*** Setting To Success 2018 Challenge ***

Dee-Licious

Darn it I’m in.
I wanna see if I can manage my natural hair with less heat. Otherwise, I might head back to a relaxer and rollersets like when my hair was thriving years ago.

I have magnetic rollers of many sizes, perm rods, flexi rods, curlformers, Ethiopian/hourglass/Italian rollers, and steam rollers.

keranikki

Natural, 3abc/4a, Fine, medium density
I think they are worth the investment, but that's coming from someone who is a regular roller setter. For someone who only sets every now and again...IDK if they would be worth it. Magnetic rollers would be a cheaper option. I used those for over 10 years before I moved on to other rollers, and still pull them out ever so often.

If you plan on purchasing the hourglass rollers, I don't think you need the pins. I use the metal clips that you would use with regular magnetic rollers. When I purchased mine, I grabbed 3 packs of the pink 1.65 inches for $19.99 each from longing4length, but could have just grabbed 2 packs and that would have been more than enough.

Thank you! I went on the longing4length site, but I don't think they sell them anymore. I have a plethora of rollers. I will start with what I have first.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
I want to join. I have curl formers, perm rods, flexirods, and magnet rollers. I never use any of them :oops:

Yes!!!! We have the wash and go Queen @Coilystep up in here!!! Now don't be trying to do one set and dip on us! LOL 2018 is the year of stepping out of our comfort zone and trying something new. I'm trying a few new things myself! I can't wait to see your sets. Are you gonna push for once a month setting and wash and go's the rest of the month?

Taleah2009

Thank you! I went on the longing4length site, but I don't think they sell them anymore. I have a plethora of rollers. I will start with what I have first.

I just ordered from her last month. Or actually end of October. I actually plan to place another order with her in a few weeks. I want a pack of white and and another pink

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
Yes!!!! We have the wash and go Queen @Coilystep up in here!!! Now don't be trying to do one set and dip on us! LOL 2018 is the year of stepping out of our comfort zone and trying something new. I'm trying a few new things myself! I can't wait to see your sets. Are you gonna push for once a month setting and wash and go's the rest of the month?
Yes I will at least try one set and do wash n goes the rest of the month.

LushLox

Ladies I would like to hear your techinque for keeping your ends smooth and tangle free when doing a roller set!

The hair should be as wet as possible, have a spray bottle to hand as you roll. You could use a fine tooth comb to help with that, but my comb isn't too fine as I don't like to over manipulate the hair. What sort of rollers are you using, magnetic? If so just ensure that you smooth the hair on each roller as neatly as possible. Make sure there is a lot of tension as you roll.

imaginary

Did a set this wash day with some lottabody setting lotion that I put in a foaming bottle because it was cheaper than buying the mousse and I got more product. Did a ponytail rollerset with rubber bands and my diy mesh rollers. I keep underestimating how many rollers to use for each section. The drying time took longer because of it. Next wash day I'll be on point.

Next year I'm hoping to stick to the fast installation/drying rollers like curlformers and these mesh ones. I may even bump up to those hourglass rollers and the barrel curlformers, but I'm still deciding if I want to spend more money to crowd my room with even more rollers I don't use.

Evolving78

The hair should be as wet as possible, have a spray bottle to hand as you roll. You could use a fine tooth comb to help with that, but my comb isn't too fine as I don't like to over manipulate the hair. What sort of rollers are you using, magnetic? If so just ensure that you smooth the hair on each roller as neatly as possible. Make sure there is a lot of tension as you roll.
Lol I wasn’t asking for advice! Lol I was asking what was your technique. You might use two different combs, smooth the hair with a comb on the roller, roll at a certain angle, etc.. I guess I didn’t make myself clear on what I was asking for. I was trying to spark a discussion. My apologies. Oh and I use magnetic rollers, but I have a ton of different rollers and rods.

LushLox

Lol I wasn’t asking for advice! Lol I was asking what was your technique. You might use two different combs, smooth the hair with a comb on the roller, roll at a certain angle, etc.. I guess I didn’t make myself clear on what I was asking for. I was trying to spark a discussion. My apologies. Oh and I use magnetic rollers, but I have a ton of different rollers and rods.

My bad I misunderstood. I only use one comb, I bring the hair forward slightly as I roll, I get the most tension like that. The pin placement is quite important I think, I always put the pins at the base of the roller. The magnetics helps the hair to stick to the roller just as long as it's wet enough so I just use my fingers to do the smoothing at that point.

Speaking of pins I need to buy some more.

I think I'll buy a mousse for light hold, I'll still need to partner it with a good leave in.

Evolving78

My bad I misunderstood. I only use one comb, I bring the hair forward slightly as I roll, I get the most tension like that. The pin placement is quite important I think, I always put the pins at the base of the roller. The magnetics helps the hair to stick to the roller just as long as it's wet enough so I just use my fingers to do the smoothing at that point.

Speaking of pins I need to buy some more.

I think I'll buy a mousse for light hold, I'll still need to partner it with a good leave in.
I just saw on Deeper Than Hair Tv (tube channel) where she used Let’s Jam shining Jam wrap foam. I didn’t catch the entire name of the product, but she said it provides a soft hold. I think I might get it if it is an alternative to Keracare. Is Let’s Jam sold out there by you?

Last edited:

LushLox

I just saw on Deeper Than Hair Tv (tube channel) where she used Let’s Jam shining Jam wrap foam. I didn’t catch the entire name of the product, but she said it provides a soft hold. I think I might get it if it is an alternative to Keracare. Is Let’s Jam sold out there by you?

Yeah Let's Jam is available here, I had no idea they did a foam wrap, I'll check it out.

keranikki

Natural, 3abc/4a, Fine, medium density
CB38B08D-4F4B-47DF-A8F9-1A66F10B3B2F.jpeg Lessons for first rollerset of the season:
Use setting lotion with shea mix instead of shea by itself
Use filtered water to moisten dried hair instead of aloe vera juice. Aloe makes hair frizzy.
Order smaller hourglass rollers. The blue ones (med) are to big for some parts of my hair.
Work on pinning rollers.

I was able to get tension, but was unable to keep due to the pinning. Some curls definitely came out better.

Glass if half full though. My hair is stretched and moisturized. It will go into a French roll or bun.

My hair finger combed.
image.jpg

Last edited:

Soaring Eagle

Singin’ the praises of the baggy method
I am not sure if I qualify for this challenge, since I don’t roller set all of my hair. I’m sure someone would let me know. If not, I’ll just see myself out. :lachen:I use rollers every wash day to stretch ONLY my ends.
I keep my hair in about 13 braids (with my own hair) and then roll my ends using My Curl Squad Rollers until dry or semi-dry. I do not undo my braids. I just Bantu knot the ends and baggy until next wash day (applying shea butter in between) Do I qualify?

Dee-Licious

Darn it I’m in.
I wanna see if I can manage my natural hair with less heat. Otherwise, I might head back to a relaxer and rollersets like when my hair was thriving years ago.

I have magnetic rollers of many sizes, perm rods, flexi rods, curlformers, Ethiopian/hourglass/Italian rollers, and steam rollers.
I plan to do my first set this weekend preparing for setting in 2018. I plan to use my Ethiopian/hourglass rollers for the 3rd time since I got them December 2016. I had to check my emails to see when I ordered them.. smh