Seventh Day adventist

rara171

Well, I went to Pine Forge my junior year of high school. It was great spiritually but needed some improvement in other areas. It was also expensive. Plus I wanted to come home and graduate with all my friends back home for senior year.

As for Oakwood, my parents never really pushed it like that. They converted to Adventism a few years before I was born so there is no Oakwood legacy there. There were other people who wanted me to go to Oakwood, but it wasn't for me. If I had attended an Adventist school, it would have been Andrews or CUC. :yep:

Totally agree.
Oakwood wasn't for me and all the other adventist schools are out there are in the boonies....not really my style.:nono:

I think Oakwood is lacking in certain areas that i find important in a university. It wasn't for me. I talked to God about it and I think I made the right decision.

It hasn't been easy all the time (especially when I lived in the residence halls), but i think everyone is entitled to their own choices.

divya

Totally agree.
Oakwood wasn't for me and all the other adventist schools are out there are in the boonies....not really my style.:nono:

I think Oakwood is lacking in certain areas that i find important in a university. It wasn't for me. I talked to God about it and I think I made the right decision.

It hasn't been easy all the time (especially when I lived in the residence halls), but i think everyone is entitled to their own choices.

:yep: You and I are completely on the same page. A lot of people push Oakwood, which is fine because it is our university. However, people have to understand that it simply is not for everyone. Honestly, I had good grades/scores coming out of high school and wanted to go to a well-ranked school. There were tough times. but I would still choose it over Oakwood. It was also in-state and far less expensive. You'll be fine as long as you keep your eyes on God and continue to study His Word.

divya

Have any of you ladies studied the sanctuary message in detail? If so, could you recommended a good book with all the Scriptural references?

I realize that this is one of our core beliefs, one that I have not studied in depth. I would really appreciate a recommendation...

divya

Not sure if this was posted previously, but there is now a website with C.D. Brooks' sermons. For those who may not know of him, he's an old rock in our faith...known for preaching the gospel message straight.

http://cdbrooks.com/

Under the Sermons tab, you can find recent sermons and under Archives are lots of older sermons. Tonight my family and I listened to number 44 in the Archives - "I Want My Church Back!" It was powerful. Makes you take a second look at the issues/struggles in our faith and put things into perspective.

May you all have a blessed Sabbath!

JinaRicci

Wow @ this thread! It's cool to see so many SDAs. Are most of all you still on here?

Divya- thanks for the link. I love hearing CD Brooks speak too. I just listened to the one on Ghosts and Zombies. He broke it down! "The safest place to be at midnight... is in a cemetery." LOL but so true.

shinyblackhair

Have any of you ladies studied the sanctuary message in detail? If so, could you recommended a good book with all the Scriptural references?

I realize that this is one of our core beliefs, one that I have not studied in depth. I would really appreciate a recommendation...

I am a former SDA (actually I believe I am somewhere in this thread when I was still SDA) however, the "Sanctuary and IJ doctrine" pretty much lead me out of the church because of the fact that it is completely unscriptural. I haven't "officially" left the SDA church and am still a member in fact, but these unresolved issues have caused me and my husband (who was born and raised SDA) to stop going. No body can answer my questions and provide a reasonalbe explaination of this "doctrine".

dicapr

I am a former SDA (actually I believe I am somewhere in this thread when I was still SDA) however, the "Sanctuary and IJ doctrine" pretty much lead me out of the church because of the fact that it is completely unscriptural. I haven't "officially" left the SDA church and am still a member in fact, but these unresolved issues have caused me and my husband (who was born and raised SDA) to stop going. No body can answer my questions and provide a reasonalbe explaination of this "doctrine".

I understand having some questions about the doctrine of the SDA church. I have some questions about somethings that we preach also and at one time was ready to walk away. I was convicted that it was o.k. not to agree 100% with everything the church preached. Actually, the Lord showed me that I could still worship with the SDA and remain a member even if I didn't agree with everything. ( I have found that there is a fateful group in the church that agree with most but not all of our beliefs.) . May the Lord lead you and guide you in your decisions.

divya

Thanks for responding. I asked the question earlier this year and have since truly studied that doctrine for myself. I believe my experience may be a bit different from others though. I learned the sanctuary and IJ message completely via the Scriptures. Some people choose to teach and learn it differently but guess that is a choice in approach. I studied with a book called 1844 Made Simple as a guideline that goes through it the doctrine with nothing but the Holy Scriptures. It really solidified my faith.

I was raised SDA and understood basic doctrine but recently am delving into the great details. So this was actually my first personal study of the issue. My family raised us on the Holy Scriptures first and foremost and only read Spirit of Prophecy as a supplement. In my belief that's the way it should be - so the sanctuary message had to be understood this way for me. :yep:

How did you come to study the sanctuary message and IJ? Was it a completely Scriptural approach?

Last edited:

divya

I understand having some questions about the doctrine of the SDA church. I have some questions about somethings that we preach also and at one time was ready to walk away. I was convicted that it was o.k. not to agree 100% with everything the church preached. Actually, the Lord showed me that I could still worship with the SDA and remain a member even if I didn't agree with everything. ( I have found that there is a fateful group in the church that agree with most but not all of our beliefs.) . May the Lord lead you and guide you in your decisions.

I respect this. :yep: I've studied quite a few other faiths/religions and chose the SDA faith for myself. There has been nothing comparable. One of the things that keeps me here is that we are a movement. That how we began and how many continue today. I generally even refrain from using the term denomination (as a preference) as it seems less descriptive of the faith. The fact that the leaders of faith periodically reexamines our doctrine together is very important to me. So is that fact that we are encouraged to study and reexamine issues for ourselves so that we are living according to the light we have. Even my parents disagree on certain issues, but both are still searching, growing...moving. There are approaches or interpretations that individuals take to our doctrine that I disagree with. I do, however, embrace the core tenets of the faith and definitely appreciate the movement way of life.

Last edited:

shinyblackhair

Thanks for responding. I asked the question earlier this year and have since truly studied that doctrine for myself. I believe my experience may be a bit different from others though. I learned the sanctuary and IJ message completely via the Scriptures. Some people choose to teach and learn it differently but guess that is a choice in approach. I studied with a book called 1844 Made Simple as a guideline that goes through it the doctrine with nothing but the Holy Scriptures. It really solidified my faith.

I was raised SDA and understood basic doctrine but recently am delving into the great details. So this was actually my first personal study of the issue. My family raised us on the Holy Scriptures first and foremost and only read Spirit of Prophecy as a supplement. In my belief that's the way it should be - so the sanctuary message had to be understood this way for me. :yep:

How did you come to study the sanctuary message and IJ? Was it a completely Scriptural approach?

Thanks for replying. I first found out about the sanctuary and IJ through the Sabbath School lesson study about 3 years back. Honestly, I wish I were still blissfully ignorant of this teaching because my family would still be faithfully worshipping with my dear, dear brothers and sisters at my church. I have not found another church that feels like family since. No other church feels right, yet this teaching is a complete and utter stumbling block.

I was not born an SDA, though my husband was. I was baptized into the church in January of 2005 along with my husband. I just wish I could go back, but the thing is that the IJ is a *fundamental* belief of the church...sometimes I think that we will just go back and just ingore the fact that we promote this doctrine, but I don't know...

If you remember a while back I posted a thread for non-SDA churches. I believe in the Sabbath, and many, many other things are SO positive, but just this one teaching...

I get so sad when I think about what my family has missed out on back at our home church. My Pastor visits and calls and prays for us...

blazingthru

I am a new SDA, I come across questions. I been so fortunate I can find the answers to them and struggle no more. but I do struggle with the SDA saying they are the remnant Church that is the only thing I have an issue with but not a concrete issue. I believe with my heart and soul that they have the truth and that they are following the commandments and the testamonies of Jesus Christ. I just don't know if any church can just out and say that still I press on as long as the church is holding on to the true teachings in the bible I will remain forever. This is what I found and for me I have no issues with it. I hope it helps, if not I still would want to know why so I can do some more research.

The Investigative Judgment in Matthew

In Desmond Ford's Critique of the Third Quarter 2006 Adult Sabbath School, he asks the following question:

“Furthermore, if we placed a New Testament in the hands of the Lesson author and asked for evidence of an attenuated Investigative Judgment, to what would he turn?”

To the New Testament book of Matthew. Here the Investigative Judgment is taught by Jesus Christ himself:

Matthew 22:1-14
(1) And Jesus answered and spake unto them again by parables, and said,
(2) The kingdom of heaven is like unto a certain king, which made a marriage for his son,
(3) And sent forth his servants to call them that were bidden to the wedding: and they would not come.
(4) Again, he sent forth other servants, saying, Tell them which are bidden, Behold, I have prepared my dinner: my oxen and my fatlings are killed, and all things are ready: come unto the marriage.
(5) But they made light of it, and went their ways, one to his farm, another to his merchandise:
(6) And the remnant took his servants, and entreated them spitefully, and slew them.
(7) But when the king heard thereof, he was wroth: and he sent forth his armies, and destroyed those murderers, and burned up their city.
(8) Then saith he to his servants, The wedding is ready, but they which were bidden were not worthy.
(9) Go ye therefore into the highways, and as many as ye shall find, bid to the marriage.
(10) So those servants went out into the highways, and gathered together all as many as they found, both bad and good: and the wedding was furnished with guests.
(11) And when the king came in to see the guests, he saw there a man which had not on a wedding garment:
(12) And he saith unto him, Friend, how camest thou in hither not having a wedding garment? And he was speechless.
(13) Then said the king to the servants, Bind him hand and foot, and take him away, and cast him into outer darkness; there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
(14) For many are called, but few are chosen.

There are 5 points we want you to notice here:

Point # 1: Once the wedding was furnished with guests, the king comes in to “see” those present. While seeing, he finds a man unprepared for the wedding (verse 11). With all the people that were present the king found one unprepared individual there. The king’s “seeing” and finding this certain individual must have therefore been an investigation he performed upon those who were there.

Point # 2: This is not a scene of heaven, but of earth, because both “good and bad” are present. This means that when the king “investigates” those present, he is investigating those upon the earth.

Point # 3: The king can be none other then God himself. If God, then he has to be in heaven, looking (investigating) down upon the earth, for God on earth would result in the destruction of the earth by reason of his glory. Therefore God, from heaven, is investigating both the good and bad people on earth.

Point # 4: After the king performs the “investigation” of the people at this wedding, he finds a man unprepared and as a result pronounces a “judgment” upon him (verse 13). This is therefore an “Investigative Judgment” because along with the investigation there was a Judgment.

Point # 5: This scene of the “Investigative Judgment” takes place before the Second Coming. Notice what Jesus says in Luke 12:

Luke 12:36-37
(36) And ye yourselves like unto men that wait for their lord, when he will return from the wedding; that when he cometh and knocketh, they may open unto him immediately.
(37) Blessed are those servants, whom the lord when he cometh shall find watching: verily I say unto you, that he shall gird himself, and make them to sit down to meat, and will come forth and serve them.

Notice in verse 36 how it specifically says that Jesus will come “from” the wedding. If therefore the wedding and the marriage were the same event, how is it that he comes “from” the wedding to pick up his children? The marriage, says John the Revelator, is the Second Coming:

Revelation 19:7
(7) Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour to him: for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and his wife hath made herself ready.

If the above verse were read in context, you will find two very important points:

A) Just before verse 7, all those in heaven proclaim, “True and righteous are his Judgments…” (verse 2) God has performed a Judgment in heaven upon the wicked on earth before Jesus’ Second Coming. The greek word translated “Judgments” here is “krisis” which can be subjectively (for) or objectively (against). In other words, God just finished performing either subjective or objective Judgments upon people before the coming. This is why we read of both “good and bad” in the Investigative Judgment (the wedding) of Matthew 22. An objective Judgment was pronounced upon that “great whore” –verse 3.

B) Right after this verse, a scene of the Second coming of Jesus Christ is seen:

Revelation 19:11- 21
"And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war. His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself. And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God… And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS."

The fact that verse 7 says that the marriage “of the Lamb is come” and that his wife has “made herself ready” shows how both Christ and his bride (the true church) will be “united” with him at his Second Coming. The “marriage” is the “unity” of Christ with his bride the church… as a marriage is the unity of a man with his wife.

That the Investigative Judgement is taught by Jesus Christ himself should be good enough for our critics... we hope.

blazingthru

this is from the site that divya mentioned thanks Divya. I have to post, I want and hope all SDA are in unity.
Introduction: Last week we studied one of the most important prophecies of the Bible. We learned, from Daniel 9:22-27, that the specific dates of the coming of Jesus the Messiah were revealed hundreds of years in advance through Gabriel's message to Daniel. As far as I am concerned, this is the most important message of Daniel. God reveals to His people not only the details of the sweep of history, He reveals the timing of the coming of His Son. Of course, we learned a number of other important things as well. We learned that the sanctuary will be rebuilt and then destroyed again. We learned that the gospel will go from being a message directed to the Jews to a message for all of us today. There are, however, a few "loose ends." (Aren't there always?) One unresolved question is the meaning of the 2,300 days of Daniel 8:14. Let's dig into Daniel to see what other secrets God has revealed to us today!

The Sanctuary

Read Daniel 8:13-14. Put yourself in Daniel's place. If you had a short "wish list" about the future, what would be on it? (Recall that Daniel had been taken from his home when he was a very young man. He would want to return to his native country, Judah.)

What would come to Daniel's mind when the sanctuary was mentioned in his vision? (Daniel would surely think about the sanctuary (temple) that was built by Solomon. See 1 Chronicles 22:17-19.)

Did Solomon's temple exist at the time of Daniel's vision? (No. The Babylonians had destroyed Jerusalem and Solomon's temple. This was part of the tragedy of his youth. He had been taken captive, and the important institutions of his country had been destroyed. This included the city of Jerusalem and Solomon's temple, the center of Jewish worship.)

When Daniel heard that the sanctuary would be "reconsecrated" (NIV) ("cleansed" NKJV) what would he logically think was going to happen? (It is logical to believe his first thoughts were that Solomon's temple would be rebuilt. This vision of the future could be about one of Daniel's most dearly held hopes - that the Jewish worship center would be back in operation.)

What other possibilities might come to Daniel's mind when he heard about the sanctuary being reconsecrated? (Read Psalms 102:19, Exodus 25:8-9 and Hebrews 8:1-5. Moses had originally been given "the pattern" so that the sanctuary in the wilderness was modeled after the sanctuary in heaven. Solomon then built a permanent version of the sanctuary to house the ark of God and to continue the worship and the sacrificial services. Only the copy on earth had been destroyed. The heavenly original still existed. Since the sanctuary on earth had been destroyed, Daniel might have thought this had something to do with the sanctuary in heaven.)

What time frame is given for the sanctuary being reconsecrated? (2,300 days.)

Let's back up a minute and read the context for the 2,300 days of Daniel 8:14. Read Daniel 8:9-13. What sanctuary do you think is being described in these verses? (In Lesson 5 of this series (on Daniel 8), we concluded that this "horn" was the Pagan and Papal phase of Rome. Thus, this would be the rebuilt sanctuary promised to Daniel.)

If this is true, could Gabriel be speaking of a literal 2,300 days - a little over six years? (No. This had to be symbolic days (meaning a day equals a year), not literal days. We know that Rome was hundreds of years in the future.

Read Daniel 8:19-26. This is Gabriel's explanation of the "vision of the evenings and mornings" and he says it concerns "the distant future." Is there any possible way that the 2,300 days are literal days? (I cannot see any way that this is possible!)

So, what happens at the end of this 2,300 years? What does it mean for the sanctuary to be reconsecrated? What sanctuary are we talking about? Is this the end of the world?

Living in the twenty-first century, we know that thereafter the temple in Jerusalem was rebuilt and for hundreds of years Jews held their daily sacrifices and worshiped God in the sanctuary. We also know that in 70 A.D., the Romans destroyed the sanctuary. Given our knowledge, what sanctuary do you think is being referred to in Daniel 8:14? (Read Daniel 8:17. Since this is a vision "of the end," and since we know the sanctuary on earth was destroyed almost 2,000 years ago, that logically leaves only the sanctuary in heaven as the subject of this vision.)

What argument can you make that the vision might refer to a sanctuary that is again rebuilt in Jerusalem before the world ends? (Such an argument would deny that Jesus is the Messiah. It would ignore Jesus' High Priestly ministry in heaven referred to in Hebrews. If the Jews rebuilt a temple in Jerusalem it would be to continue the same sacrificial system which Jesus fulfilled by His life and death.)

Read Hebrews 9:8-12. What does this suggest about the possibility of a new temple being built in Jerusalem? (Hebrews tells us that the temple on earth was both an illustration and an impediment to Jesus' work for us in heaven. The idea that it would be rebuilt at some time before the Second Coming of Jesus is completely at odds with Hebrews and the entire concept of Jesus fulfilling the symbolism of the sanctuary service.)

The reasonable conclusion, based on what we know about history, and our understanding of the gospel, is that the sanctuary to be reconsecrated (cleansed) is the heavenly sanctuary.

blazingthru

The Nature of the Cleansing

If Daniel 8:14 is about reconsecrating (cleansing) the sanctuary in heaven, the logical question is, "Why would it need to be cleaned?"

Read Leviticus 16:32-34. These three verses describe in summary form a yearly event for the Jewish people. Can you tell me about this event? (Throughout the year the people would come to the temple to sacrifice an animal for the forgiveness of their sins. Symbolically, the shed blood of the animal transferred the sin from the person to the sanctuary. Then once a year, on the Day of Atonement, the sanctuary itself was cleansed of all of these sins which had accumulated over the year. On that day the High Priest entered the Most Holy place of the sanctuary.)

What about the sins of the people? Were they completely taken care of during the year? (Read Leviticus 16:29-30. It appears that the cleansing of the sanctuary on the Day of Atonement was the final act in the removal of the sins from the people.)

Since the sanctuary on earth was patterned after the sanctuary in heaven? Do you think there is a parallel activity in heaven? If so, what is it? (According to the text in Hebrews that we previously read ( Hebrews 9:11-12), Jesus is the sacrifice for the heavenly sanctuary. He is also the High Priest who enters the Most Holy Place.)

When Daniel 8:14 tells us that the sanctuary will be reconsecrated (cleansed) could it mean that after the 2300 day period the Day of Atonement in heaven will take place? (That seems to be what is meant. Since the sanctuary could not be the sanctuary on earth, it must be the sanctuary in heaven. Hebrews tells us that Jesus will enter the Most Holy place of the heavenly sanctuary - so it makes sense that this is the meaning of Daniel 8:14.)

The Meaning of the Day of Atonement.

Let's review a minute. The sanctuary referred to in Daniel 8:14 is the sanctuary in heaven. The historical meaning of the cleansing of the sanctuary is the Day of Atonement. So, the next question is what would be the meaning of a Day of Atonement in heaven? Read Daniel 8:26-27. Did Daniel understand what it meant to reconsecrate the sanctuary in heaven?

Notice that verse 27 says that Daniel did not understand the vision. Did he not understand any of it? (This is the Ram/Goat/Horn vision of the first half of Daniel 8. Gabriel told Daniel about the meaning of the Ram and the Goat. It was only the horn and the 2,300 days that was not specifically explained. Since Daniel calls the this (v.26)"the vision of the evenings and mornings" it must be the 2,300 days that most specifically created the mystery.)

What do you think the Day of Atonement in heaven represents? Is this the beginning of the judgment? The end of the judgment? The Second Coming of Jesus?

In trying to solve this mystery, it sure would be nice to know when this 2,300 years ended. What do we need to know to determine this? (When that period of time started.)

Does Daniel 8 say when the 2,300 year period begins? (No. Indeed, Daniel 8:26 seems to say the details are "sealed up" for now.)

Let's re-read what we studied last week: Daniel 9:25-27. We have some very hard dates from this. Does this sound like the same subject matter? (Yes. I'm quite certain that Daniel is not understanding what sanctuary Gabriel is speaking about, but we are back to the theme of the future of the sanctuary and its "desolation.")

Let's make the assumption - a reasonable one - that our "Seventy Weeks" message of Gabriel in Daniel 9 is a further answer and explanation of Gabriel's message of Daniel 8. Since we concluded last week that the seventy weeks began in 457 B.C., where does 2,300 years end? (1844 A.D. The title of our lesson is "1844 Made Simple." The math is surely simple, but I'm far from sure any other aspect of this is simple!)

If we are right about tying the two prophecies together and starting them in 457 B.C., what does that clarify about the previous question about the nature of the cleansing of the sanctuary, this Day of Atonement? (It does not mean the end of the world - unless God is simply delaying His coming. We know from the parallelism in the visions we have studied that the end of the world starts with a judgment of the righteous and ends with the Second Coming of Jesus. Historically the judgment and the "conclusion" to sin, occurred within the Day of Atonement.)

What should the reaction of a Christian be to this prophecy? (The message is important, it came straight from the throne of God by Gabriel. The message is reliable - because all of the other prophecies given to Daniel came to pass. Whether 1844 was the "target time" for Jesus' Second Coming, or whether it begins the time of the final judgment, our main conclusion should be that Jesus' Second Coming is imminent. Something very important is happening in heaven and it has to do with our Messiah bringing sin to its final conclusion.)

Friend, are you ready for the judgment? For the Second Coming? Are you looking for your Savior to return?

divya

Thanks for replying. I first found out about the sanctuary and IJ through the Sabbath School lesson study about 3 years back. Honestly, I wish I were still blissfully ignorant of this teaching because my family would still be faithfully worshipping with my dear, dear brothers and sisters at my church. I have not found another church that feels like family since. No other church feels right, yet this teaching is a complete and utter stumbling block.

I was not born an SDA, though my husband was. I was baptized into the church in January of 2005 along with my husband. I just wish I could go back, but the thing is that the IJ is a *fundamental* belief of the church...sometimes I think that we will just go back and just ingore the fact that we promote this doctrine, but I don't know...

If you remember a while back I posted a thread for non-SDA churches. I believe in the Sabbath, and many, many other things are SO positive, but just this one teaching...

I get so sad when I think about what my family has missed out on back at our home church. My Pastor visits and calls and prays for us...

Bless your heart Shiny. This is an emerging issue in our church and will continue to be one in the future. The SDA church needs to teach our entire doctrine completely Scripturally to those incoming. You should not have heard of the sanctuary message and IJ only via the Sabbath school lesson after joining. I know our church is not a perfect one though, and guess it is something we all have to remember.

The sanctuary message and the IJ are actually the beliefs that are unique to our faith, as opposed to the well-known seventh-day Sabbath belief. However, it was predicted sometime ago that our faith would begin to downplay its complete message. The Sabbath School lesson is not the method to first expose someone to these beliefs at all. That is just so saddening. My heart goes out to you and your husband, and I pray that you are able to come to understanding of these matters via Scripture alone.

If you can, maybe check the book 1844 Made Simple. It's a very little book that just points you to Scripture that you can analyze on your own. It should give you a totally different perspective than the Sabbath school lesson. Hopefully the explanation of the IJ that Blazingthru has posted is helpful as well.

Keep searching the Scriptures and praying, as I am sure you already do. I know things must be very hard for you, being separated from your church family. However, as you are faithful to God, and He in turn will be faithful to you and lead you in the right path. God bless you and your hubby sis!

Psalm 48:14 For this God is our God for ever and ever: he will be our guide even unto death.

Last edited:

divya

As I am home sick this Sabbath, I decided to read up on treatment of Christmas within our faith. Of course, the holiday is not Scriptural, which is why it receive no official regard within our doctrine. However, I also found this thought interesting....

Christmas is Coming

"Christmas is coming," is the note that is sounded throughout our world from east to west and from north to south. With youth, those of mature age, and even the aged, it is a period of general rejoicing, of great gladness. But what is Christmas, that it should demand so much attention? This day has been made much of for centuries. It is accepted by the unbelieving world, and by the Christian world generally, as the day on which Christ was born. When the world at large celebrates the day, they show no honor to Christ. They refuse to acknowledge Him as their Saviour, to honor Him by willing obedience to His service. They show preference to the day, but none to the one for whom the day is celebrated, Jesus Christ.

The twenty-fifth of December is supposed to be the day of the birth of Jesus Christ, and its observance has become customary and popular. but yet there is no certainty that we are keeping the veritable day of our Saviour's birth. History gives us no certain assurance of this. The Bible does not give us the precise time. Had the Lord deemed this knowledge essential to our salvation, He would have spoken through His prophets and apostles that we might know all about the matter. But the silence of the Scriptures upon this point evidences to us that it is hidden from us for the wisest purposes.

In His wisdom the Lord concealed the place where He buried Moses. God buried him, and God resurrected him and took him to heaven. This secrecy was to prevent idolatry. He against whom they rebelled while he was in active service, whom they provoked almost beyond human endurance, was almost worshiped as God after his separation from them by death. For the very same purpose He has concealed the precise day of Christ's birth; that the day should not receive the honor that should be given to Christ as the Redeemer of the world--one to be received, to be trusted, to be relied on as He who could save to the uttermost all who come unto Him. The soul's adoration should be given to Jesus as the Son of the infinite God.

http://www.whiteestate.org/issues/Christmas.html

As we see further down in the link, we are certainly forbidden in taking part in Christmastime activities but counsel is that it should be limited. A tree, if we must have one, should only have donations for the poor on them (angel tree) as opposed to the usual decorations. Our actions should be towards others and not self, so that Christ will be glorified. So what I gather is that the season should be for service to others in Christian love. Any other thoughts?

JinaRicci

Thanks for sharing that Divya. I hope you're feeling better today.

I see Christmas as an opportunity for witnessing & for teaching kids about giving to others. It should be less about all the things we can get and more about what we can give. Sometimes we lose sight of that... But that is the true meaning of Christmas- mirroring the sacrifice that Jesus made for us. I agree with you- in doing so we should become more selfless and point others to Christ.

My view on Christmas is that it is a celebration of his birth & life much like the world celebrates and honors all mothers or all fathers on one particular day. We should be clear though to note that Jesus wasn't actually born on this day. I am glad that God hid the true day from us- some people with that birthday might think they are better than others or that they are Christ!

The message of Christmas also gets diluted when the focus is placed on Santa and Frosty and all that other stuff. I could never understand how people who don't believe in Jesus still celebrate Christmas but that's how- the celebration now can have nothing to do with Christ. I think we as Christians shouldn't get caught up in that and should do our part to make sure that the honor continues to be given to Jesus.

divya

Thanks for sharing that Divya. I hope you're feeling better today.

I see Christmas as an opportunity for witnessing & for teaching kids about giving to others. It should be less about all the things we can get and more about what we can give. Sometimes we lose sight of that... But that is the true meaning of Christmas- mirroring the sacrifice that Jesus made for us. I agree with you- in doing so we should become more selfless and point others to Christ.

My view on Christmas is that it is a celebration of his birth & life much like the world celebrates and honors all mothers or all fathers on one particular day. We should be clear though to note that Jesus wasn't actually born on this day. I am glad that God hid the true day from us- some people with that birthday might think they are better than others or that they are Christ!

The message of Christmas also gets diluted when the focus is placed on Santa and Frosty and all that other stuff. I could never understand how people who don't believe in Jesus still celebrate Christmas but that's how- the celebration now can have nothing to do with Christ. I think we as Christians shouldn't get caught up in that and should do our part to make sure that the honor continues to be given to Jesus.

Completely agree with the bold. I do hope that as time goes on, we are all able to see how the holidays can be used to be a real blessing to others. But yes, plenty people who don't believe in Christ celebrate Christmas, because it's largely secular. Also, in some religions, it's acceptable to simply add another deity to those already celebrated on particular days (Hindus, Orisha faiths etc.) . Seeing that has helped me to understand the danger than can arise when we don't emphasize the truth about Christmas - that Jesus wasn't born on Christmas and that honor or recognition of Christ cannot be confined to a day or season. But all in all, we have to make the best of it...and that as you have noted, is mirror Christ's sacrifice for us.

Merry Christmas!

JinaRicci

Hey, you're up early. Happy Sabbath to you too! I love Sabbaths like this. It's snowy and beautiful and just perfect.

cia_garces

O ok. Its interesting that you went to Pine Forge and not Oakwood...

why was that?

I know that when I decided against Oakwood my family and some friends were disappointed. They thought I was going to become this giant heathen. lol.

It's my second year and I am still very much an Adventist.:yep:

Girl, I am from Huntsville so I can tell you right now, anybody who goes to Oakwood to AVOID heathens is in for a rude awakening. There are MANY a heathen at Oakwood...just like they were at my Methodist college...and just like they are everywhere. :lol:

cia_garces

You guys... Can we talk for real? I mean like for real, for real? I've been considering becoming SDA but... Eh. I'm just not sure. I'm currently in the process of learning and figuring out which way I want to go but I don't think I could go back to a Sunday church having learned what I've learned. But I'm still very unsure about committing to adventism.

I have tons of questions but I'll start with a few....

I read some where in this post about someone wanting more "church" when they go to church. Who on here feels like that? And what do you feel "having church" means?

For those of you who have considered something else, are considering something else or have completely left adventism, why? I'm gonna go ahead and assume that if you're raised sda then your tendency to question if what you know as the truth is really true or if it's true b/c that's what you were raised to believe is greater.

Jenibo

I've been SDA for over a year now. Only one in my family. It hasn't been easy, but I thank God for showing me the truth. I've been fortunate to meet people who have encouraged me- including a couple of ladies on this board.

I've ben learning alot- but sometimes I feel like i'm being over-stimulated with knowledge! Just this past 3 months alone i've been convicted about my entertainment choices, music, clothing, diet, jewelry,.... And more.

I would like to know which speakers and pastors you ladies like. I really enjoy listening to Ivor Myers and Walter Veith. I just discovered Nyse Collins and his health sermons... Very interesting stuff.

cia_garces

I've been SDA for over a year now. Only one in my family. It hasn't been easy, but I thank God for showing me the truth. I've been fortunate to meet people who have encouraged me- including a couple of ladies on this board.

I've ben learning alot- but sometimes I feel like i'm being over-stimulated with knowledge! Just this past 3 months alone i've been convicted about my entertainment choices, music, clothing, diet, jewelry,.... And more.

I would like to know which speakers and pastors you ladies like. I really enjoy listening to Ivor Myers and Walter Veith. I just discovered Nyse Collins and his health sermons... Very interesting stuff.

See, I don't get convicted about jewelry or clothing b/c I'm not someone who's very attached to and ruled by it. I probably need to study more, but I don't understand the big deal with jewelry. I try to be respectful and not wear gaudy or a ton of jewelry when I go to an SDA church, but I normally don't do that anyways.

Xaragua

See, I don't get convicted about jewelry or clothing b/c I'm not someone who's very attached to and ruled by it. I probably need to study more, but I don't understand the big deal with jewelry. I try to be respectful and not wear gaudy or a ton of jewelry when I go to an SDA church, but I normally don't do that anyways.

I want to know more regarding Seventh Day Adventists and jewelry. I was born from a SDA family, about two years ago, I pierced my ears and I wear jewelry from time to time.

dicapr

I am a born and raised SDA and wear earrings on the regular basis-even to church. I believe that the key belief about jewelery is the issue of adornment. I agree that our adornment should be on the inside and not what we place on our bodies. With that being said, what is adornment to one person is not adornment to someone else. I personally feel more adorned in a pair of strappy heels than I do in my earrings. For someone else that may not be the case. With all things we must be open to the Holy Spirit to lead and guide us. The question we must really ask ourselves is that if we were convicted to give these things up would we ? I also wear make-up which is not an issue in white churches but can be in a black church.