Seventh Day adventist

cia_garces

I want to know more regarding Seventh Day Adventists and jewelry. I was born from a SDA family, about two years ago, I pierced my ears and I wear jewelry from time to time.

I am a born and raised SDA and wear earrings on the regular basis-even to church. I believe that the key belief about jewelery is the issue of adornment. I agree that our adornment should be on the inside and not what we place on our bodies. With that being said, what is adornment to one person is not adornment to someone else. I personally feel more adorned in a pair of strappy heels than I do in my earrings. For someone else that may not be the case. With all things we must be open to the Holy Spirit to lead and guide us. The question we must really ask ourselves is that if we were convicted to give these things up would we ? I also wear make-up which is not an issue in white churches but can be in a black church.

I think I could give up jewelry if I was REALLY convicted to by the Holy Spirit, or at least I think I would be. If it's purely based on the Holy Spirit, then I think it would deal with each person accordingly. Kind of like the difference between one person winning the lottery and the other. God knows that if one person one the lottery it would take their focus off of God, so he wouldn't allow them to have it. But it wouldn't change or diminish the other person's life.

But whatever. I'm just thinking and assuming outloud. I think all three of us just need to up our studying and figure it out...with the Holy Spirit's guidance of course. Either that or just watch 3ABN non-stop for a month. :lol:

tyrablu

I think I could give up jewelry if I was REALLY convicted to by the Holy Spirit, or at least I think I would be. If it's purely based on the Holy Spirit, then I think it would deal with each person accordingly. Kind of like the difference between one person winning the lottery and the other. God knows that if one person one the lottery it would take their focus off of God, so he wouldn't allow them to have it. But it wouldn't change or diminish the other person's life.

But whatever. I'm just thinking and assuming outloud. I think all three of us just need to up our studying and figure it out...with the Holy Spirit's guidance of course. Either that or just watch 3ABN non-stop for a month. :lol:

Hey y'all,

From what I remember the wearing of jewelry has to do with a number of things:

1. Being in the world, but not being of the world.
2. Having other false idols etc. before God
3. Do you remember when Moses went up on the mountain to receive the Ten Commandments, and when he returned the children of Israel had made the Golden Calf?

There maybe something else that I am missing so please forgive me as I am a bit rusty. I only just recently started going back to church after a brief (long :look:) absence.

ETA: If y'all really want to start a study group, I'm interested.

dicapr

I have to agree with you. I have not been convicted to give up my earrings and to remove them just to go along with what the church preaches feels dishonest to me. At the same time, I would give them up if I was shown by the Holy Spririt that it was not for me. I have studied jewelry for myself and have come to the conclusion it was the attitude that came along with the display of wealth rather than the objects themselves. God specifically told them he took away the jewelry that he gave them because of their bad attitude and the fact that they forgot who gave them their riches. If jewelry was the problem, God would have never given it to them. The problem remains that when some individuals gain riches, they forget that they need God.

dicapr

Hey y'all,

3. Do you remember when Moses went up on the mountain to receive the Ten Commandments, and when he returned the children of Israel had made the Golden Calf?

There maybe something else that I am missing so please forgive me as I am a bit rusty. I only just recently started going back to church after a brief (long :look:) absence.

That would be good. I could use some encouragement because to tell you the truth I've got one foot in and one foot out of the SDA church. I've been going to another Sabbath Keeping church about 1 or 2Xs a month a bit now.

Jenibo

I have to agree with you. I have not been convicted to give up my earrings and to remove them just to go along with what the church preaches feels dishonest to me. At the same time, I would give them up if I was shown by the Holy Spririt that it was not for me. I have studied jewelry for myself and have come to the conclusion it was the attitude that came along with the display of wealth rather than the objects themselves. God specifically told them he took away the jewelry that he gave them because of their bad attitude and the fact that they forgot who gave them their riches. If jewelry was the problem, God would have never given it to them. The problem remains that when some individuals gain riches, they forget that they need God.

I had a bible study with my pastor and he showed me places in the bible where God gave them jewelry. He showed me that whenever God was telling someone to take there jewelry off- it was because they were being punished. Now I only wear my small studded earrings instead of my more flashy things.

On clothing... I feel some of the teachings are a little extreme- but I do agree with modesty. I watched "Truth About Jewelry and Adornment" by Isaac Olatunji Jr and he talked about causing our brethren to stumble. From the EGW quotes and 1 Tim 2:9 we are to dress plainly and modestly. The notes to the sermon even list all things "we shouldn't wear" including trousers and vests.

Last edited:

dicapr

I had a bible study with my pastor and he showed me places in the bible where God gave them jewelry. He showed me that whenever God was telling someone to take there jewelry off- it was because they were being punished. Now I only wear my small studded earrings instead of my more flashy things.

On clothing... I feel some of the teachings are a little extreme- but I do agree with modesty. I watched "Truth About Jewelry and Adornment" by Isaac Olatunji Jr and he talked about causing our brethren to stumble. From the EGW quotes and 1 Tim 2:9 we are to dress plainly and modestly. The notes to the sermon even list all things "we shouldn't wear" including trousers and vests.

I also only wear studs as an act of modesty. Big, flashy jewelry isn't my style anyway. I like things understated. I make sure my clothing is not too revealing but I don't have a list of what I won't wear. I've found that modesty can be linked to body shape just as much as the actual piece of clothing. My sister and I have two different body shapes and used to share clothes when we were kids. A shirt on her (flat chested) that would be cute but with me (DD) would be too revealing. A pair of slacks on me (flat butt) was fine but on her ( big booty) looked too revealing. I judge my clothes by the reflection in the mirror rather than having a list of what is inappropriate.

Jenibo

I also only wear studs as an act of modesty. Big, flashy jewelry isn't my style anyway. I like things understated. I make sure my clothing is not too revealing but I don't have a list of what I won't wear. I've found that modesty can be linked to body shape just as much as the actual piece of clothing. My sister and I have two different body shapes and used to share clothes when we were kids. A shirt on her (flat chested) that would be cute but with me (DD) would be too revealing. A pair of slacks on me (flat butt) was fine but on her ( big booty) looked too revealing. I judge my clothes by the reflection in the mirror rather than having a list of what is inappropriate.

That's a good way of looking at it. The pastor on the vid encouraged long sleeve tops and long flowy skirts. He even encouraged veils. My older friend at church keeps her hair covered for church and covers it when she prays. She has taught her granddaughter to do the same. She said that the 3 angels removed their crowns before they entered God's presence- and our hair is our crown and glory... You get the jist. I will have to study that soon.

cia_garces

That would be good. I could use some encouragement because to tell you the truth I've got one foot in and one foot out of the SDA church. I've been going to another Sabbath Keeping church about 1 or 2Xs a month a bit now.

Hey y'all,

Sure, why not. Study to shew thyself approved, right? :yep:

cia_garces

I'm thinking that for me, I have to operate from the bible to the SDA church. Not from the SDA church to the bible. I'm not an SDA, so I don't hang on its every word or believe everything to be law, but... I don't know. I stay confused about this. It's like every week I have to start off with, "Okay, what do I believe? I believe there is a God. I know this to be true. And I believe in Jesus. I know this also to be true." And now that I think about it, I haven't even gotten to the Holy Spirit. :perplexed You sure you wanna do this bible study? 'Cause this is what you're gonna be workin' with? :lol:

dicapr

I'm thinking that for me, I have to operate from the bible to the SDA church. Not from the SDA church to the bible. I'm not an SDA, so I don't hang on its every word or believe everything to be law, but... I don't know. I stay confused about this. It's like every week I have to start off with, "Okay, what do I believe? I believe there is a God. I know this to be true. And I believe in Jesus. I know this also to be true." And now that I think about it, I haven't even gotten to the Holy Spirit. :perplexed You sure you wanna do this bible study? 'Cause this is what you're gonna be workin' with? :lol:

Sure. We would love to study with you. We all have times in our lives where we have to stop and ask ourselves where our beliefs stand. There is nothing wrong with that. However, we must always make sure that our beliefs are in line with the bible and not from our own understanding. And that is where everything gets tricky. I used to ask my mom how can we all read the same book, all profess to have the truth, and all come to different conclusions?

cia_garces

Sure. We would love to study with you. We all have times in our lives where we have to stop and ask ourselves where our beliefs stand. There is nothing wrong with that. However, we must always make sure that our beliefs are in line with the bible and not from our own understanding. And that is where everything gets tricky. I used to ask my mom how can we all read the same book, all profess to have the truth, and all come to different conclusions?

Yeah... What gives with that?

I always wonder if I favor Christianity b/c that's what I grew up knowing? Like if I'd been born Jewish or Buddhist, would I be having the same dilemma with Judaism or Buddhism but still know that I will essentially return to them? *sigh* So much to learn and wrap my mind around....

divya

Happy Sabbath ladies! I've missed you all, and hope to be back regularly soon. Special welcome to Cia. Praying for you and all of us in our search for more truth, in seeking our Lord.

cia_garces

Happy sabbath everyone! Hopefully you ladies were more prepared than I was :ohwell:

Happy Sabbath!!!

Speaking of preparation, if you guys only knew what I had to go through to get a quarterly... Since many of you have been familiar with adventism long before I have, I'm pretty sure you guys know that you can just go to church and get one. Well, I didn't know that. So I took upon myself to call around and see who had one. The closest place that had them in stock was 15 minutes away. In 5 o'clock traffic it was more like 40 minutes. I'd gotten the closing time of the store mixed up with another store I had to go to that night, and got there 30 minutes after it closed. :sad: It actually turned out to be a good thing. My sda friend told me to just go to church the next sabbath and get one. So not only did I find a church (I'm new to the city I live in), but I also saved 4 bucks!!!

blazingthru

what happen to the study? Cia, I am new too, I been SDA for two years almost come August. Don't worry about the little stuff they become clearer over time. I wear make up once in a while but is very light, I don't wear jewerly at all, none perhaps a brooch every blue moon. that's about it it doesn't' bother me and whats funny, I spent thousands on the best I could find and now I wear nothing. I wouldn't let these things be an issue for you. I go to a great great Church, there is no pressure there, Pastor said to me one time, there are more things to worry about then wearing jewerly. He said besides the young come to service without jewerly but he runs into them and they don't even look like they have ever stepped foot in the church and so its not pushed in my church as strongly. But I would say 75% of the members don't' wear jewerly some where wedding bands and so forth, I probably would wear a band. I don't know,

AJamericanDiva

Happy Sabbath!!!

Speaking of preparation, if you guys only knew what I had to go through to get a quarterly... Since many of you have been familiar with adventism long before I have, I'm pretty sure you guys know that you can just go to church and get one. Well, I didn't know that. So I took upon myself to call around and see who had one. The closest place that had them in stock was 15 minutes away. In 5 o'clock traffic it was more like 40 minutes. I'd gotten the closing time of the store mixed up with another store I had to go to that night, and got there 30 minutes after it closed. :sad: It actually turned out to be a good thing. My sda friend told me to just go to church the next sabbath and get one. So not only did I find a church (I'm new to the city I live in), but I also saved 4 bucks!!!

You do know they have the Quarterly online, right? www.ssnet.org
Also, if you can't make it to church there are several you can watch online. www.praizevision.com as well as www.churchpond.com. Praizevision will be celebrating their anniversary this Sabbath & will be having a concert with Youthful Praise & other guests. You can watch online too, this coming Sabbath afternoon.

Last edited:

JinaRicci

I didn't know they had a phone app. Speaking about the quarterly, anyone interested in studying it on this forum? It would be nice to study with all of you.

divya

I didn't know they had a phone app. Speaking about the quarterly, anyone interested in studying it on this forum? It would be nice to study with all of you.

Yes, absolutely! And we just started a new one, so it would be great to start now.