Severely Tangled/Matted hair - Product help please

brg240

What products would you use about tackling extreme tangled/matted/dreaded hair?

I would say the hair is matted kinda like this.
(I checked out the product they use in this vid but the ingredients aren't listed anywhere)

Between taking care of an ill parent and then ended up getting a serious head injury and the recovery from surgeries it's been over a year since anything has been really done.

I tried to help a couple months ago but I went about it all wrong. Tried to clarify + acv to remove dirt & used cheap slippery conditioners to help. Which was just the opposite of what I should have done b/c it drew up and then became heavier b/c of conditioner. :/

They said they'll have to cut it but have been too depressed to do so.

I've been trying to watch youtube vids for suggestions but a lot of the 'extremely matted!' hair vids are not actually extremely matted at all.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was thinking maybe I could cut some of it away and then see if I could detangle the rest?

Product recommendations?

So far I've ordered Cowboy Magic Detangler and Shine.

I've seen these mentioned on the board from old threads. Opinions?
GVP - The Detangler
EQyss Survivor Super Detangler
EQyss Avocado Mist Detangler
SLIP-N-SLIDE, KNOT-PROOF HAIR GLIDE

silverbuttons

Not Impressed
I would use a non-water based product at first. water will cause your hair to curl up ... your hair more tangled.

take a day off, find a comfortable spot with a bingeable show or an audio book (preferable to have a mirror nearby)

Use oil. It will help hair slip out of their knots easier.
try to separate it into natural sections, don’t force your hair to separate to the root just yet.
Clasp both hands to the hair and pull down (I think they call this the prayer method) to remove any small shed hairs.
take a small section (like how much hair you would need for a mini twist) and start finger detangling from bottom to top.

As you start making headway, twist your hair so it can remain stretched.

Black Ambrosia

Naturalicious Moroccan Rhassoul 5-In-1 Clay Treatment (Step 1)​

There are videos online but idk of any showing it being used on severely matted hair. Wet hair thoroughly. Apply clay. Detangle under water. It may need to be applied a couple of times but it'll get easier each time.

Black Ambrosia

Ok, I responded before watching the whole video. I still recommend the clay treatment but detangling under water isn't realistic for hair that requires hours of effort. I'd saturate a section of the hair, apply clay, detangle, re-wet with a spray bottle as needed, reapply clay treatment, detangle under water once you start seeing progress (this speeds up detangling considerably) and continue until that section is done. Knowing me, I'd take a break and probably detangle a section a day.

ETA: I should add that I used this on my hair when it was badly matted - not like the video but it was bad from neglect. I put it off for the longest because I dreaded it and then I felt foolish because it was much easier than expected. It took awhile but my hair responded to the product right away. I saw it start to stretch and hang but it was still matted. From there it was just a matter of having patience while I combed through it and pulled out the shed hair. This is where the water really helps. Before using this product, I felt like I needed to detangle before getting it wet because it would be harder but I don't feel that way anymore.

Last edited:

snoop

I would use a non-water based product at first. water will cause your hair to curl up ... your hair more tangled.

take a day off, find a comfortable spot with a bingeable show or an audio book (preferable to have a mirror nearby)

try to separate it into natural sections, don’t force your hair to separate to the root just yet.
Clasp both hands to the hair and pull down (I think they call this the prayer method) to remove any small shed hairs.
take a small section (like how much hair you would need for a mini twist) and start finger detangling from bottom to top.

Or oil + rinse out conditioner. Some oils have have more drag than slip. I am not sure about the texture that you're dealing with, but my hair cannot handle dry detangling with oil. Adding a slippy detangling product like Kinky Curly Knot Today to your oil + conditioner may also help. I would try leaving the mix in your hair over night to a few days before detangling.

I haven't tried that clay product, but for me in general, clays dry out my hair in 10 minutes if I don't add a bunch of stuff to them. Not conducive to detangling.

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
I sometimes help people who are bedridden or who have been incapacitated and who are unable to attend to their hair. As a result, their hair has become matted. Also, the reason I began to finger detangle is because my hair would get matted at the root and I am extremely tender headed. Necessity, is the mother of invention!

1. Get two to four bottles of pure glycerin. (start with 1 Cup of glycerin)
  2. Mix in 1/2 cup of olive oil.
  3. Warm up the glycerin and olive oil so they are warm but not hot, to the touch.
  4. Squeeze the glycerin and olive oil into the hair and saturate the hair. Try to squeeze the mixture deep into the entire head and especially the matted hair.
  5. Place a plastic shower cap on the hair for 30 minutes. You want the hair to soften with the glycerin.
  6. Get in front of a mirror with a metal rat tail comb or some kind of stick with a dull point so you can poke into the hair.
  7. Pick a section that is not as matted as the rest. Why? To give yourself a psychological boost of success detangling a less severe section. This may inspire you to not give up.
  8. Examine the section. Sometimes we mat the hair more by pulling in the wrong direction.
  9. Try to examine what that section is doing.
  10. Is it wrapped up by other hairs? Is the hair turned inside itself and knotted? Once you understand the matted section, you may have a chance of undoing it.
  11. Be prepared to lose and break some of your hair.
  12. If you get tired and discouraged, stop. Put the plastic cap on, and re-start again.
  13. Have extra bottles of glycerin around in case you need them.
Glycerin is a 'lipotropic' in that it breaks down fat such as grease and oil and particles that add to tangles. The glycerin breaks down product in the hair. The oil will lubricate the strands. Use warm to hot water in a spray bottle lightly, only on the section upon which you are working.

More importantly than being gentle with your hair, please be gentle with yourself.

brg240

Thank you so much. I checked and Cowboy Magic isn't water based. Do you have an oil suggestion?
I'll look up the prayer method.
I wish I could help you! Let us know how it turns out. when you get to the root and it’s matted together.. a gentle but firm pull will usually give you enough space to d’étranglé.
I will definitely let you all know how it goes. I talked to her about it today and I hope she will be willign to try this coming weekend.

Naturalicious Moroccan Rhassoul 5-In-1 Clay Treatment (Step 1)​

There are videos online but idk of any showing it being used on severely matted hair. Wet hair thoroughly. Apply clay. Detangle under water. It may need to be applied a couple of times but it'll get easier each time.
Thank you so much I'll look up this product.
Ok, I responded before watching the whole video. I still recommend the clay treatment but detangling under water isn't realistic for hair that requires hours of effort. I'd saturate a section of the hair, apply clay, detangle, re-wet with a spray bottle as needed, reapply clay treatment, detangle under water once you start seeing progress (this speeds up detangling considerably) and continue until that section is done. Knowing me, I'd take a break and probably detangle a section a day.

ETA: I should add that I used this on my hair when it was badly matted - not like the video but it was bad from neglect. I put it off for the longest because I dreaded it and then I felt foolish because it was much easier than expected. It took awhile but my hair responded to the product right away. I saw it start to stretch and hang but it was still matted. From there it was just a matter of having patience while I combed through it and pulled out the shed hair. This is where the water really helps. Before using this product, I felt like I needed to detangle before getting it wet because it would be harder but I don't feel that way anymore.
Thank you. My only concern is that she still has pain from the surgeries. So I worried about leaving her hair wet all that time. I'll watch some of the videos for the product.

OP, are we talking your hair or your parent's hair?
parent's

Or oil + rinse out conditioner. Some oils have have more drag than slip. I am not sure about the texture that you're dealing with, but my hair cannot handle dry detangling with oil. Adding a slippy detangling product like Kinky Curly Knot Today to your oil + conditioner may also help. I would try leaving the mix in your hair over night to a few days before detangling.

I haven't tried that clay product, but for me in general, clays dry out my hair in 10 minutes if I don't add a bunch of stuff to them. Not conducive to detangling.
Do you have any specific product recommendation for the oils and conditioner. My hair can't do dry + oil either but idk about her's.

Thank you for your help.

I sometimes help people who are bedridden or who have been incapacitated and who are unable to attend to their hair. As a result, their hair has become matted. Also, the reason I began to finger detangle is because my hair would get matted at the root and I am extremely tender headed. Necessity, is the mother of invention!

3. Warm up the glycerin and olive oil so they are warm but not hot, to the touch.
  4. Squeeze the glycerin and olive oil into the hair and saturate the hair. Try to squeeze the mixture deep into the entire head and especially the matted hair.
  5. Place a plastic shower cap on the hair for 30 minutes. You want the hair to soften with the glycerin.
  6. Get in front of a mirror with a metal rat tail comb or some kind of stick with a dull point so you can poke into the hair.
  7. Pick a section that is not as matted as the rest. Why? To give yourself a psychological boost of success detangling a less severe section. This may inspire you to not give up.
  8. Examine the section. Sometimes we mat the hair more by pulling in the wrong direction.
  10. Is it wrapped up by other hairs? Is the hair turned inside itself and knotted? Once you understand the matted section, you may have a chance of undoing it.
  12. If you get tired and discouraged, stop. Put the plastic cap on, and re-start again.
Glycerin is a 'lipotropic' in that it breaks down fat such as grease and oil and particles that add to tangles. The glycerin breaks down product in the hair. The oil will lubricate the strands. Use warm to hot water in a spray bottle lightly, only on the section upon which you are working.

More importantly than being gentle with your hair, please be gentle with yourself.
That's exactly the situation, so thank you so much.

The step by step is good and I'll send it to her. B/c it sounds doable that way.

Warm oil and detangle little by little. I may take a couple days. If the hair locked up on itself, you’ll have to cut it.
Thank you. Is there a specific oil or oil mix you would suggest?

Get some Unite 7 Seconds Detangler. This stuff will melt all of the tangles out of matted hair. I always keep at least one bottle of this in my stash.
Thank you so much I'll look into this product.

frizzy

OP, I highly agree with the suggestions @Chicoro listed in Post #8. I've untangled locked hair on a child once. Her hair had been repeatedly brushed up into a puff and not combed/detangled for I don't know how long. :sad:

I also took care of an elderly grandmother where I set up a hair washing situation at the kitchen sink. I had a hose and a chair high enough where she only had to tilt her head back so I could wash it.

HTH!

snoop

@brg240 I use either coconut oil or babassu oil (+ hemps seed). As for conditioner, my regular rinse out conditioner is Giovanni Smooth as Silk. I don't think that the conditioner matters. I got the idea of combining the coconut oil + conditioner together and then leaving it in for an extended time from YT'er Natrually High Hair. You can add a bit of extra conditioner as you work. I also find that spraying a little bit of water on the section as I got through works for me. (My texture is fine/medium and cottony.)

snoop

Saving this to try on my hair, sometime.