SEW & GROW LONG

ajacks

My siggy shows my one year progress with weaves. I am doing it again this year and hoping for the same results!

KinksnCurlz

I've used sew-ins in the past but not to grow my hair. I usually change them up often because I do them myself. The key to finding a good stylist is to consult with them first. If them mention the IMPORTANCE of leaving your edges out AND take the time to explain to you HOW to properly condition your own hair then they are a keeper.

This is what I do (I net weave)...

Once a week I have one of those hair dye tinting bottles (with the pointer on top) and I fill it with 1/3 shampoo and 2/3 water). I squeeze it onto my scalp and wash my scalp by moving my weave around (hands on head and move up and down). Then I rinse for a good 5 minutes. It's VERY important to get all the shampoo off your scalp or else your head with ITCH LIKE NOBODY's BUSINESS!

Then I do the same thing with the conditioner (but I don't concentrate on my scalp). I put the conditioner on my weave as well and smooth the weave out (from top to bottom, then detangle). Then I rinse for a good 5-10 minutes in cool water.

When I have to deep condition, I follow the "condition rules above" and go under the dryer for 30 mins OR put a plastic cap on my head, warm my towel in the microwave 30 seconds and place it on my head. I re-warm it every 10 mins..

Every other day, I oil my hair and scalp using the same type of pointy container, making sure not to get any on my weave. This is a very important step b/c it keeps my hair nice and moist when I take down.

I keep my weaves in anywhere from 2 - 6 weeks. I DEEEEPPP condition (heat for an hour or overnight) in between weaves and let my hair "breath" for at least 2 days before re-weaving.

Last edited:

NaniDiamond

Im using weaves to grow out my hair. I used them even throughout my transition even though i wasnt too pleased with the stylist that i was going to but during the transition i would do full weaves with no hair left out. Now im fully natural(1 year and 8 months) and i do leave hair out at the top(its easy for me because my hair easy to straighten but i donot apply heat to my hair all the time either).

I use Extensions Plus hair which can be expensive but it can be reused over again. This is the second time ive used this hair for an install and the hair cost me 260--i believe i purchased it from a member on BHM. The stylist i go to I love her its the same one that Jamiacanlovely goes to also(Shonda) she does the hair of ATL college hill ladies!! :) she is such a sweatheart!! and she knows what she is doing and very knowledgeable. I was actually able to keep my weave in for the first time last time for 2 month this time im going for 3 months!! I usually pay her about 240 i believe. I'm trying either to go to the end of this year with weaves!! :)

I'm very low maintenace with weaves i try to condition and spray in between the wefts but its hard because i have a net so its kind of hard getting to the scalp...

I used extensions

i am using weaves to grow my hair for the 2nd time...last time I went the whole year 2007 w/weave and my hair went from 4" to 12", however, I had a problem w/thyroid and lost about 5 of those inches..so i am back to weaves for 2009 (and I take RawThyroid to keep my thyroid under control)...

jaszymeen

thats what i do. i wear a weave for about 3 or 4 months then i relax to check my progress and then i'll wear my hair for a little bit and then i'll weave it right back up

Ciacia

To the ladies who go at Reniece salon can you please answer these:
- is she doing a specific braiding pattern?
- is the braiding pattern horizontal or vertical?
- does she uses only your own hair to braid or some extensions?

Sorry to ask all these questions but as I live in France and therefore am not able to see her I would like to know more about her weaving technics :eyebrows2

Urban

What's the best way to protect your edges when in weaves? Are you ladies getting full weaves or leaving out the perimeter of your hair.

NaniDiamond

LOL! ...or, some new tires...or, enough Indian Remy hair to do 5 heads of weave...or, enough to pay this old utility bill on my credit report...or, enough to make a down payment on a cruise :lachen:...I'm wit u, that is WAY too much money!

A good weave in Los Angeles is going to set you back at least $600 or one of the following (1) months car note and insurance on a BMW 3 series (2) rent for a 1 bed room apartment in a mid-America or southern town (3) a flight from NYC to London (4) or 2-3 treatments of permanent laser hair removal:lachen::drunk: :lachen:

DaPPeR

NIBERIANGIRL
Southern Tease When I am wearing a weave, I don't deep condition. I just make sure that the braids underneath the weave are nice n moist (I use my home made braid spray- ingredients are Rose water/Main n Tail Hair Strengthener/Infusium 23/Glycerine) and the scalp is clean. I try to do gentle scalp massages when I remember. I ALWAYS oil the edges so if the braids are tight, my scalp will feel good. I wash once evry two/three weeks, but in between I spray and cleans my scalp with water/cleansing braid spray. As soo as I take the weave out, I deep con.

I wear a weave 99% of the time and also find that this helps retention
of length. I do my weaves myself...I don't feel as comfortable going to salons...plus what's the ponit in spending all that £££ when I can do it my self... :imo: ?

Everything u stated, I do EXACTLY. Down to the homemade spray :yep: