Shampoo For Dry Scalp?

trueimage.

What are some good shampoos for DRY SCALP? Everytime I shampoo my hair I look at my scalp and there are white flakes and my scalp is dry its like I didn't even shampoo and when I take my comb and scratch my scalp white flakes start to come up .. All my shampoos are SULFATE free. Should I be using a Sulfate Shampoo??

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
Giovanni Smooth as Silk Deeper Moisture Shampoo is hydrating and sulfate free.

Let's explore some reasons why this may be happening.

Do you have any skin conditions?
Does your hair seem dry, too? is your hair relaxed or natural?
What products do you use? How often? How do you wear your hair?
Any medical issues or chemical (medicine, etc) use?

Last edited:

trueimage.

Let's explore sole reasons why this may be happening.

I don't have any skin conditions. I have relaxed hair and my hair is also dry .. I moisturize and seal daily because my hair seems to just soak it all up.. I shampoo and deep condition my hair weekly. I just wear my hair down.. its cut into a bob so yea.

I will check out the shampoo you recommend :)

NappyNelle

I don't have any skin conditions. I have relaxed hair and my hair is also dry .. I moisturize and seal daily because my hair seems to just soak it all up.. I shampoo and deep condition my hair weekly. I just wear my hair down.. its cut into a bob so yea.

I will check out the shampoo you recommend :)

Thanks for responding. Which products do you use? Do you use heat to style your hair?

trueimage.

Thanks for responding. Which products do you use? Do you use heat to style your hair?
I shampoo with the Keracare Hydrating Detangling Shampoo and I deep condition with the Keracare Humecto creme conditioner with heat for 1 hour. I also use the Tropic Isle Leave In Conditioner & Detangler I don't blow dry or flat iron my hair I just let it air dry. Maybe I should clarify my hair with a sulfate shampoo ?

MilkChocolateOne

I shampoo with the Keracare Hydrating Detangling Shampoo and I deep condition with the Keracare Humecto creme conditioner with heat for 1 hour. I also use the Tropic Isle Leave In Conditioner & Detangler I don't blow dry or flat iron my hair I just let it air dry. Maybe I should clarify my hair with a sulfate shampoo ?

Keracare Hydrating Detangling shampoo left build up on my scalp. I would try clarifying with a different brand of clarifying shampoo.

Smiley79

First when i have dry or itchy scalp I do one wash with Shea Moisture African black soap shampoo. Then I proceed with one wash using Shea Moisture Moisture Retention shampoo. (It is veryyyyy moisturizing).

Other great shampoos for dry scalp
Elasta QP Moisture shampoo
Keracare Hydrating Shampoo
Paul Mitchel Awapuhi Shampoo

Last edited:

trueimage.

First when i have dry or itchy scalp I do one wash with Shea Moisture African black soap shampoo. Then I proceed with one was using Shea Moisture Moisture Retention shampoo. (It is veryyyyy moisturizing)

Other great shampoos for dry scalp
Elasta QP Moisture shampoo
Keracare Hydrating Shampoo
Paul Mitchel Awapuhi Shampoo
Thanks so much :drunk:

Smiley79

Let's explore sole reasons why this may be happening.

Agreed.

NappyNelle

Keracare Hydrating Detangling shampoo left build up on my scalp. I would try clarifying with a different brand of clarifying shampoo.

Hm... then yes, clarifying may be in order.

I used to have the worst dry scalp issues... large flakes, itchiness, a nearly white and crusty scalp. :( It was awful! I realized it was product, sebum, and environmental build up, too.

I suggested the Giovanni moisturizing shampoo, but I actually use their Tea Tree Triple Treat shampoo much more often. (I rave about it all the time. @Smiley79 also uses tea tree!) This particular shampoo is a gentle clarifier that makes my scalp breathe, rather than feeling tight. I follow up with a good deep conditioner and I'm all set. I also like to use oils on my scalp, which work much better now that I clarify my hair and scalp weekly to biweekly.

trueimage.

Hm... then yes, clarifying may be in order.

I used to have the worst dry scalp issues... large flakes, itchiness, a nearly white and crusty scalp. :( It was awful! I realized it was product, sebum, and environmental build up, too.

I suggested the Giovanni moisturizing shampoo, but I actually use their Tea Tree Triple Treat shampoo much more often. (I rave about it all the time. @Smiley79 also uses tea tree!) This particular shampoo is a gentle clarifier that makes my scalp breathe, rather than feeling tight. I follow up with a good deep conditioner and I'm all set. I also like to use oils on my scalp, which work much better now that I clarify my hair and scalp weekly to biweekly.
You use a sulfate shampoo every week?

Allandra

Let's explore some reasons why this may be happening.

@trueimage.

I agree on exploring some reason why this may be happening.

My scalp use to act up, and I thought I had dry scalp (for a long time), but after I changed my diet (went gluten free), my scalp started to be normal again (as in no more flakes). Changing my diet was the best thing for me and my scalp.

For some folks, it may not be diet. It could be product build up (which can really cake up on the scalp). Scalp exfoliation can also work wonders.

Aggie

If at all possible, may I recommend not getting any conditioner on your scalp. You can use just your shampoo on your scalp but not your conditioners as they cause buildup on the scalp as well. The use of scalp exfoliant is a great recommendation as well. Nioxin Scalp Renew is a great one to use but there are others out there.