Shampoo or hard water causing breakage?

Sheabutterboy

After shampooing I notice that my hair breaks easily when I am trying to put them back in twists.

I wash twice a month, the first time I braid my twists and don't dunk them underwater too much- hair stays soft

The second wash is after I thoroughly detangle, my hair has a lot of oils and detangler in it, so I run shampoo in my hair twice and it is dunked underwater for longer, since its a more thorough wash. I do condition after. But I experience some breakage and brittleness after this and harder to manipulate even though its saturated in oils and moisture. By the end of the day once the twists are done my hair very well moisturized.

Any tips on mitigating this? Anyone else experiences this?
I am thinking perhaps my hair doesn't need a thorough wash as I suspected
don't put it under too much water as the water is hard
or moisturize and wear a plastic bag for a few hrs to soften the hair.

oneastrocurlie

Could it be the saturating your hair in oil? I don't use oil on my hair it causes that brittle/dry feeling. Or maybe it's time to switch to a new DC like a protein one if you've only been using a moisturizing one or vice versa?

abioni

I would recommend a hard protein treatment to combat the breakage. I used Aphogee 2 steps and it stopped my breakage right away.

charmtreese

1. Are you properly detangling prior to saturating your hair with water?
2. Are you concentrating the shampoo to the scalp area primarily?
3. Are you washing your hair in sections?
4. Have you tried to use a different shampoo?

NaturalEnigma

It could be either or. Maybe try changing the shampoo and if your hair is still hard get a shower filter. Does the water make your skin dry? When I first moved into my apartment One of the first signs that made me realize I had hard water was by the way the water made my skin dry and ashy after showering, When I washed my hair a few times I noticed my hair was dry and I then I realized I had hard water.

snoop

I'd change your shampoo and only shampoo your hair once instead of twice in a row.