Shampoo Vs Co Washing

vevster

I notice my hair is less dry when I cowash more than shampoo. Of course I need to clarify periodically, but shampoo seems to dry me out.

Anyone else?

vevster

I've noticed the same, with my hair and my kids' hair. However, it's more effective if we cowash 2-3 times a week regularly; cowashing only just once a week seems to lead to build-up faater for us.
I can see how that could happen.

sunflora

Flowah Powah
Do you concentrate your shampoo only on your scalp, and not lather the rest of your hair? Do you use a sulfate free shampoo? Do you pre-poo? My hair will feel waxy after cowashing for awhile. If I at least lather my scalp and let the suds rinse down the rest of my hair, it will feel nice and clean and not stripped. I can't go more than a week without shampooing, even if I co-wash in between.

kupenda

I could honestly cowash one week and shampoo the next if I wanted to, as long as I don’t forget to moisturize and seal throughout the week. On shampoo weeks I would have to deep condition whereas on cowash weeks I can get away with a simple rinse out conditioner in the shower

vevster

Do you concentrate your shampoo only on your scalp, and not lather the rest of your hair? Do you use a sulfate free shampoo? Do you pre-poo? My hair will feel waxy after cowashing for awhile. If I at least lather my scalp and let the suds rinse down the rest of my hair, it will feel nice and clean and not stripped. I can't go more than a week without shampooing, even if I co-wash in between.
Yes, yes, and yes. When it gets waxy I will deg wash it.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
My hair responds better if I use a cleansing conditioner specifically made for co washing. When I co wash with regular conditioners, my hair feels dry.
@gemruby41
:goodpost:
Exactly this.:yep:

For cleansing purposes, I never use a regular conditioner. (In my personal regimen, regular conditioners are only used as R/O's) and not for cleansing my Hair.

fluffyforever

My hair can feel dry no matter if I use shampoo or not if I don't follow up with conditioner and seal with a nice butter. That's key for me. A nice shampoo that isn't too harsh, a conditioner, and seal in moisture. Maybe your shampoo is too strong for frequent use?

My scalp needs shampoo to stop and prevent itching, so I shampoo weekly. I wash 2x to get a nice lather. And I focus on both hair and scalp.

Cowashing only with regular conditioner causes a lot of filmy buildup in my scalp and hair, which caused me a lot of breakage in past.

Wen products dried out my hair so I haven't tried any other cowashes specifically for shampoo replacement.

I never had a Komaza hair strand analysis, but based on the feedback received from so many who have on this board, I will never only cowash (like I used to) and now I use shampoo and protein weekly and clarify once a month.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I also have VO5 Kiwi & Lime Clarifying Conditioner and As I Am Cleansing Pudding in my Stash as well as R/E/D/K/E/N Cleansing Creme (which I rarely use).

I will use the VO5 Kiwi & Lime Clarifying Conditioner or As I Am Cleansing Pudding if I need a super deep cleanse and I will pull out the R/E./D/K/E/N on occasion.

Or, I'll use a Detox or Clay Treatment to get to the root of the matter (no pun intended)

There are plenty of decent (good) Cleansing Conditioners on the market.

Aggie

I tried the cowashing thing, with regular conditioners and with cowash conditioners. I don't like either. My scalp responds better to actual shampoo with and without sulfates. I simply apply to my scalp only and as it travels down my hair during rinse-out, the buildup is removed since I tend to smooth my hair down as I rinse.

My hair breaks off too much with just co-washing. I guess everyone's hair is different. I would say, know your own hair and use what works for YOUR hair.

NaturalShe94

Same here as well. But, I may be just a little different. I actually expect shampoo to dry out my hair, unless I'm using a sulfate free one. Co-washing cleanses hair without completely "cleansing" it.... It has conditioner in it so it leaves a residue in your hair, as it's suppose too. I expect shampoo to strip my hair because the DC or Conditioner penetrates better to add back the moisture. I believe that too much co-washing can actually do more harm than good. But, of course that's not factoring in porosity and all that jazz.