Share Your Experiences With Ayurvedic Hair Products Please...

Nini90012

Can you clarify what you are asking @Nini90012? Please explain what exactly you need to know.
@Chicoro mentioned
LHCF process = Oil hair [dirty] hair+ apply Indianpowders [tea/paste/in conditiner]+ Deep Condtion Hair

When do you shampoo the hair? After the oil but before applying powders? Or
After applying powders but before deep condtioning the hair? Or

When?

Aggie

@Chicoro mentioned
LHCF process = Oil hair [dirty] hair+ apply Indianpowders [tea/paste/in conditiner]+ Deep Condtion Hair

When?
Okay I see your confusion. Some of us use ayurveda powders and oils on oiled dirty hair because our hair most likely have no buildup on it and the reason for that is that we already wash and deep condition our hair on a regular basis, ie, one to two times per week.

There are some who do not wash and DC that often, some do so once every 2-4 weeks. If there are some that use the latter, they would have to shampoo before using ayurveda powders and oil recipes in order to reap the maximum benefits of the powders.

The ones that shampoo and DC more regularly,ie, at least once per week, could use the syurveda powders on pre-oiled dirty hair without shampooing first. Either way, you would have to oil your hair and scalp just before adding the ayurveda powder treatments.

I hope this clears up some of the confusion.

Nini90012

Okay I see your confusion. Some of us use ayurveda powders and oils on oiled dirty hair because our hair most likely have no buildup on it and the reason for that is that we already wash and deep condition our hair on a regular basis, ie, one to two times per week.

There are some who do not wash and DC that often, some do so once every 2-4 weeks. If there are some that use the latter, they would have to shampoo before using ayurveda powders and oil recipes in order to reap the maximum benefits of the powders.

The ones that shampoo and DC more regularly,ie, at least once per week, could use the syurveda powders on pre-oiled dirty hair without shampooing first. Either way, you would have to oil your hair and scalp just before adding the ayurveda powder treatments.

@Aggie Thank you for your response. I shampoo my hair weekly. Should I refrain from shampooing my hair on the days I use the oils and powders?

Keen

Question:
Has anyone seen a video or article where Indian women oil the hair first for the purpose of preparing their hair to receive the powders?
There’s a lady on YouTube who makes oil out of fenugreek seeds (roast, ground, infuse coconut oil with the powder over low heat). She oil her scalp, massage, let it sit a bit then use the strained powder to make a hair mask.

That’s how I first used fenugreek seed. I didn’t feel like infusing oil for weeks.

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
Oh my word! You are so right @Chicoro. I have never seen an Indian woman oil their hair prior to applying the powders/pastes. It has only been black women that are known for this practice. It's not hard to understand why either. Our scalps do not have as much oil as that of a Caucasian or Indian woman. This is so astute of you to notice that. I totally missed it myself. Thanks a million for mentioning it.

Thank you, that is so sweet of you to say. Thank you for responding as well.

This is why I say that growing long, healthy afro-textured hair is a THINKING GAME! One has to really analyze and understand the hair process. I've seen where some people say that don't want to become a scientist, they just want to grow their hair.

But our hair is so far outside of what is 'considered' mainstream, like many other things that impact Black women, our hair needs are overlooked. Thus, we have to make our own way. This 'twist' on the ayurvedic process, of oiling our hair FIRST, then applying the powders, represents the analyses that we have to apply, and do so successfully, to our hair to get the results and benefits we need for us.

Last edited:

Chicoro

@Chicoro mentioned

When?

Hey @Nini90012 ,
Thanks for asking the question. I can't speak for others but this is what I do:

High Level [No Detail] Process:
  1. I oil my dirty hair.
  2. I wash/shampoo with Baby wash.
  3. I deep condition my hair with conditioner that has some powders in it.
  4. Add my leave-in products and style hair

Detailed Process:
  1. Oil Hair
    • Unbraid my hair by wetting the braids.
    • Place a mixture of aloe vera, oil, and glycerin and some essential oils on hair.
    • Place each hair or section in a bantu knot after applying mixture.
    • Then GO BACK to first bantu knot, unravel and apply melted coconut oil on top of bantu and the mixture [my Deep Moisture Method].
    • Braid my hair back into loose braids. I use the same parted sections because I do not use a comb.
    • Let everything soak in for a minimum 30 minutes[ to overnight-which I rarely do myself].
  2. Shampoo hair
    • Rinse braided hair with warm to hot water to get out the oil.
    • Apply baby wash to hair as my form of shampoo and wash all braids and rinse.
    • Rinse hair thoroughly and leave in braids.
  3. Deep Condition Hair
    • Mix 2 teaspoons of amla powder with 1 teaspoon shikakai powder in about 2 tablespoons of any oil of you choice and dissolve in oil. I add this to my conditioner. (Or, you can boil the powders in water and add it to your conditioner).
    • Place conditioner on braided hair.
    • Once the braid is coated with conditioner, finger comb to detangle and remove shedded hair. Re-braid (Sometimes I detangle after I rinse the conditioner. It varies depending on how my hair is acting.)
    • Sit under the dryer for 15 to 30 minutes (sometimes)
    • Rinse conditioner from hair
  4. Add my leave-in products and style my hair
    • Sometimes I may add some Infusium and neutral color for extra protein diluted with water (It depends on how my hair is acting and feeling). If I do, I use that mixture first.
  • One braid at a time, unbraid and add Scurl throughout whole, entire section that I am working on.
  • Add a light tap of gel around hair root.
  • Add a glob of my Shea Butter mix onto the entire section.
  • Re-braid hair tautly.
Daily Ends routine (which starts the next day after my wash day) : Rinse half of braid, starting from the ends, in very warm water. Coat with castor oil. Protect ends and go to bed.

I have gotten down to about 1 hour per wash session. I wash 1x per week, ideally. When I first started the no-comb process it took me 2 hours because my hair was sticking together without the Scurl and unraveling without the Shea Butter. Unbraiding and braiding my hair was taking lots of time and I had awful tangles still. After I re-introduced Scurl and added shea butter, my hair clumped together nicely and my braids did not unravel and the un-doing my braids and re-doing them become faster.

Last edited:

Chicoro

There’s a lady on YouTube who makes oil out of fenugreek seeds (roast, ground, infuse coconut oil with the powder over low heat). She oil her scalp, massage, let it sit a bit then use the strained powder to make a hair mask.

That’s how I first used fenugreek seed. I didn’t feel like infusing oil for weeks.

Thank you @Keen. Do you have a link, please? Or, the title so I can look it up!

Aggie

@Aggie Thank you for your response. I shampoo my hair weekly. Should I refrain from shampooing my hair on the days I use the oils and powders?
In this case, it's not necessary. Just go right on ahead and use your powders.

Bear in mind there are so many ways to use these powders. One way that might work for me may not work for someone else, hence the reason for tweaking the process to best suit your hair needs. That is what I have done and they still work fine.

ETA:

Oh please remember to pre oil your hair and scalp before using the powders as some of them can be drying. Sometimes I prepoo with the oil overnight on slightly damp, not wet hair. Some refer it to a Green House Effect (GHE). This method keeps the hair moisturized but I don't believe it should be done everyday as you can end up with mushy hair if you do.

Last edited:

Keen

So I have an issue with the infused oil method. Let me know if I'm on to something or if I'm wrong.

I feel like fenurgreek seeds don't expand in oil as it does in water. So I'm not sure how much of the properties of the seed gets infused in the oil. Maybe that's why so much is used? When I did my batch using Curlyproverbz method, I grind a couple of table spoons into powder and add to the oil. For my next batch, I'm thinking of grinding half of the seeds. Am I thinking too much?

Chicoro

Ladies, here is the video.

Thank you for taking the time to provide the video link. You are right that she mentions using the strained parts as a paste mixed with yogurt. But, the video process is still consistent with what I mentioned above in that she [Indian woman] oils her hair, washes it and shampoos and she's done.

If we are going to use powders, we oil our hair first. We with afro-textured hair, oil our hair for the purpose of preparing it for the powders. When using powders, for Black women, it seems like it's always a 2 Step Process. That's the slight difference and it's the twist that Black women have added to the ayurvedic process.

Her hair is beautiful, by the way.

Smiley79

I think it was in another thread. I said you should shampoo first but if you have a lot of buildup, clarify first in order to get the full benefits of the powder treatments.

Okay Thanks @Aggie. I have Kalpi Tone, Amla and 1 other powder that I can't remember right now. I'm excited to jump into using them. I keep putting it off because I've been busy but I will get into that this weekend. I'm so on the fence with henna because of the color but I am thinking of trying the Henna Gloss since that is just henna with conditioner. I dunno yet. Let me just get through my boxes of the Ayurvedic powders and see how that works for me first.

Aggie

Okay Thanks @Aggie. I have Kalpi Tone, Amla and 1 other powder that I can't remember right now. I'm excited to jump into using them. I keep putting it off because I've been busy but I will get into that this weekend. I'm so on the fence with henna because of the color but I am thinking of trying the Henna Gloss since that is just henna with conditioner. I dunno yet. Let me just get through my boxes of the Ayurvedic powders and see how that works for me first.
You're quite welcome @Smiley79

Aggie

So I have an issue with the infused oil method. Let me know if I'm on to something or if I'm wrong.

I feel like fenurgreek seeds don't expand in oil as it does in water. So I'm not sure how much of the properties of the seed gets infused in the oil. Maybe that's why so much is used? When I did my batch using Curlyproverbz method, I grind a couple of table spoons into powder and add to the oil. For my next batch, I'm thinking of grinding half of the seeds. Am I thinking too much?
@Keen, It still works even though it doesn't expand in oil. You can smell that stuff a mile away - that's how I know :lol:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I'm going to try adding my ayurvedic powders to my DC.

I use 1.5 oz of DC per session. I have amla, brahmi, shikakai, rose, henna, hibiscus, and aloe Vera powders.

Any suggestions on how much of what I should add to my 1.5 oz of DC?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Aggie

I'm going to try adding my ayurvedic powders to my DC.

I use 1.5 oz of DC per session. I have amla, brahmi, shikakai, rose, henna, hibiscus, and aloe Vera powders.

Any suggestions on how much of what I should add to my 1.5 oz of DC?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
I'd say 1 teaspoon each. You might want to skip the shikakai in your DC though. It's a cleansing powder and if you do use it, only use half a teaspoon. It could be pretty drying when too much is used.

Nini90012

Hey @Nini90012 ,
Thanks for asking the question. I can't speak for others but this is what I do:

High Level [No Detail] Process:
  1. I oil my dirty hair.
  2. I wash/shampoo with Baby wash.
  3. I deep condition my hair with conditioner that has some powders in it.
  4. Add my leave-in products and style hair

Detailed Process:
  1. Oil Hair
    • Unbraid my hair by wetting the braids.
    • Place a mixture of aloe vera, oil, and glycerin and some essential oils on hair.
    • Place each hair or section in a bantu knot after applying mixture.
    • Then GO BACK to first bantu knot, unravel and apply melted coconut oil on top of bantu and the mixture [my Deep Moisture Method].
    • Braid my hair back into loose braids. I use the same parted sections because I do not use a comb.
    • Let everything soak in for a minimum 30 minutes[ to overnight-which I rarely do myself].
  2. Shampoo hair
    • Rinse braided hair with warm to hot water to get out the oil.
    • Apply baby wash to hair as my form of shampoo and wash all braids and rinse.
    • Rinse hair thoroughly and leave in braids.
  3. Deep Condition Hair
    • Mix 2 teaspoons of amla powder with 1 teaspoon shikakai powder in about 2 tablespoons of any oil of you choice and dissolve in oil. I add this to my conditioner. (Or, you can boil the powders in water and add it to your conditioner).
    • Place conditioner on braided hair.
    • Once the braid is coated with conditioner, finger comb to detangle and remove shedded hair. Re-braid (Sometimes I detangle after I rinse the conditioner. It varies depending on how my hair is acting.)
    • Sit under the dryer for 15 to 30 minutes (sometimes)
    • Rinse conditioner from hair
  4. Add my leave-in products and style my hair
    • Sometimes I may add some Infusium and neutral color for extra protein diluted with water (It depends on how my hair is acting and feeling). If I do, I use that mixture first.
  • One braid at a time, unbraid and add Scurl throughout whole, entire section that I am working on.
  • Add a light tap of gel around hair root.
  • Add a glob of my Shea Butter mix onto the entire section.
  • Re-braid hair tautly.
Daily Ends routine (which starts the next day after my wash day) : Rinse half of braid, starting from the ends, in very warm water. Coat with castor oil. Protect ends and go to bed.

I have gotten down to about 1 hour per wash session. I wash 1x per week, ideally. When I first started the no-comb process it took me 2 hours because my hair was sticking together without the Scurl and unraveling without the Shea Butter. Unbraiding and braiding my hair was taking lots of time and I had awful tangles still. After I re-introduced Scurl and added shea butter, my hair clumped together nicely and my braids did not unravel and the un-doing my braids and re-doing them become faster.
@Chicoro and @Aggie Thank you for your responses.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Bought some additional Powders:
Brahmi (b/up)
Amla (b/up)
Neem
Rose Petal Powder
Tulsi

And a bottle of Nylie Oil that has: Henna, Fenugreek, Hibiscus

Been overnight-ting with Oil and been mixing Powder in my DC'ers.