• Classic

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Mid Thigh

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Knee

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters

PlanetCybertron

That mix sounds nice. Side eying the fact that this whole time "kibe" is just regular ol' homemade butter.

I was meaning to put up a picture, but I kept forgetting. I’ve made a new batch since my other one went pretty quickly. I use it in the shower for quicker and full coverage.

But I did make another Shea batch. This one is with Beta Carotene in it though.

mayoo

This whole time I've been applying olive oil then shea butter to wet hair after washing and DCing... From this week I decided to switch to applying a leave in (maui moisture curl milk for now) , then the shea butter, then the oil... How come nobody told me?:eek:

My hair is darker, more moisturised and shinier than ever before, I feel robbed of the last couple of years :cry3:

My hair is screaming YESSS!

Mapleoats

This whole time I've been applying olive oil then shea butter to wet hair after washing and DCing... From this week I decided to switch to applying a leave in (maui moisture curl milk for now) , then the shea butter, then the oil... How come nobody told me?:eek:

My hair is darker, more moisturised and shinier than ever before, I feel robbed of the last couple of years :cry3:

Any reason your not mixing your oil and butter together?

NaturalShe94

You apply oil after Shea now? I was just doing Scurl or Leave in then Shea. I should probably do oil after huh?

Prisangela

Yup, regular butter from heavy cream. I make it in my nutribullet blender, but I think any blender works. Or of course by hand but I've never tried it by hand.

This is the thread from lipstick alley where I learned about it:

https://www.lipstickalley.com/threads/how-to-make-ethiopian-hair-butter-at-home.1280228/

It's been just this past year, pre pooing with butter and sealing after washes with shea butter that my daughter's hair finally looks long. I don't know if she's actually retaining more length, or if her shrinkage is less, but I'm use to her shrunken hair drawing up to between her ears and shoulders, now her shrinkage is apl.

I've never used edible butter on my own hair because my hair has been in two strands twists since easter, and I wash in my twists, and I'm not confident I'd be able to rinse the butter out of the twists well enough.
Thank you! I will definitely try with my next butter mix

mayoo

Any reason your not mixing your oil and butter together?

I have tried whipping my butter before but I think my hair prefers it thicker, somehow. Like, I remember that my hair was drying out a little faster.

Plus, when I remoisturise throughout the week, I don't add any oil while doing so (just water and Shea or now, water, leave in and Shea) . I only add oil to the ends when I unravel the braids/twists to lubricate. Otherwise I tend to mistake oil slick for moisture so I stopped reapplying throughout the week :spinning:

mayoo

You apply oil after Shea now? I was just doing Scurl or Leave in then Shea. I should probably do oil after huh?

I do~ but only on wash days. I'm not sure if it changes anything though. I'm just locked into the whole leave-in, cream, oil thing :spinning:

I will say that I was applying oil before shea butter before and I don't think it worked as well. My hair seems happier when I apply the shea butter first.

Also, I don't reapply oil during the week when re-moisturising. I only apply a little to the ends while unravelling braids/twists

NaturalShe94

I'm not sure what I did different on wash day last Sunday, but the top of my hair (the part that gets pulled back toward the bun) has been moisturized ALL week. Wash day is approaching again on Sunday and the top of my hair is still moisturized and if you put your hands on it, you can still feel the Shea Butter and its shiny.... Usually by now, its really dry at the top; only the plait would still be moisturized.

Silverstreaks

I’m in. Plan to continue using my Shea mix for sealing. I also made a batch with henna, bringhraj, Amla, panthenol, bamboo extract, glycerin, stinging nettle, and keratin amino acids as a deep conditioner. I’m also going to continue to use my flaxseed gel as a detangler. My new recipe products for the new year. We’ll see how it works. Fingers crossed :look:

NicWhite

I’m in. Plan to continue using my Shea mix for sealing. I also made a batch with henna, bringhraj, Amla, panthenol, bamboo extract, glycerin, stinging nettle, and keratin amino acids as a deep conditioner. I’m also going to continue to use my flaxseed gel as a detangler. My new recipe products for the new year. We’ll see how it works. Fingers crossed :look:

using flaxseed gel as a detangler is a great idea. Noted. :bookworm:

Attachments

• pulpdance.gif
    pulpdance.gif
    10.8 KB · Views: 1

Z-kitty

Oooooh :( I’m glad you posted the ingredients, thank you! As much as Shea can make my scalp itch, coconut oil is like setting it on fire :couchfire:

My nilotica (from 3CayG) was chunky & a bit grainy too. I thought about whipping mine with some rice brain oil.

I do believe the Alikay leave in is setting my scalp on fire for about 24 hours after I use it. Thought it was the rice water but I didn’t use it today after washing. I now need to find another natural liquid leave in to try that has aloe Vera as a top ingredient.

I also used black rice water as my moisturizer every other day for the last two weeks and sealed with the Shea yogurt. My hair was so soft and I saw a big decrease in shedding, but didn’t seem to improve breakage.

Going to try a hard Aphogee treatment on wash day in 2 weeks.

NaturalShe94

Skipped wash day Sunday but washed tonight. I love how the SB makes detangling so much easier. This wash day detangling was even easier than last wash days! This time I detangled in the shower under running water and my hair had so much slip due to SB. It was soooo easy to detangle and the shed hairs slipped right out! Because my hair stays in a bun all week, I usually have a ton of knots and tangles by wash day and detangling takes a while. Looks like the left over SB on my hair under running hot water is all I need now! Even had less mess in the shower

NaturalShe94

Ive gotta brag on Queen Shea as she saved the day today. Went two weeks without washing my hair or taking my plaited bun down at all. It was dry, tangled and somewhat matted. I prepared for 30+ mins of detangling, but thanks to Queen Shea it took 10 mins or less. As the hot water ran through my strands it reactivated the two week old SB in my hair which left my hair silky and slippery loosening the tangles. I did not think there was any SB left on the top of my hair after two weeks of re-spritzing water and brushing it back. Finger detangling was a breeze. Bigs ups to Queen Shea! Im amazed.

GGsKin

Late on Saturday I decided to take down and wash a section of my twists. My hair still felt soft and not dry at all after being buttered up and left for weeks.

I whipped up a new tub of Shea last night. I tried to stick to my go-to mix & scent. I need more vanilla bean fragrance for future mixes. I've already slathered some on my blow dried hair before braiding up some sections.

LavenderMint

So I had my baby at the beginning of January. I had just washed my hair not too long before I delivered. It took me until yesterday to have enough time & energy to wash and style my hair. This is the longest I have ever gone without washing my hair. I have to give props to Shea butter for enabling one of the easiest detangling sessions I’ve ever had. Like someone upthread mentioned, once the warm water hit my hair the tangles all melted out. It’s also been easier than ever before to part my hair & access my scalp. I’m loving this!!
Edit- oh and I’m certain my hair is longer than it was before. However, I’m going to need much more time to blow it out before I can report results for sure.

naturaldoll

So I had my baby at the beginning of January. I had just washed my hair not too long before I delivered. It took me until yesterday to have enough time & energy to wash and style my hair. This is the longest I have ever gone without washing my hair. I have to give props to Shea butter for enabling one of the easiest detangling sessions I’ve ever had. Like someone upthread mentioned, once the warm water hit my hair the tangles all melted out. It’s also been easier than ever before to part my hair & access my scalp. I’m loving this!!
Edit- oh and I’m certain my hair is longer than it was before. However, I’m going to need much more time to blow it out before I can report results for sure.
Congratulations on the sweet baby