Shea butter Growth and Retention thread 2021

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!

I kept looking at this lady's hair. I know she uses commercial products, TGIN Butter Cream and hair grease. Then, I checked out TGIN ingredients. Guess what's ingredient #3?!!!!

Water (Aqua), Glycerin, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Cetearyl Alcohol, Coconut Oil, Amodimethicone, Brassicamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Oleo Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Theobroma Cacoa (Cocoa) Seed Buter, Prunus Amygdalys (Sweet Almond) Oil, Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Oil, Peg 4 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Ceteareth-20, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Panthenol (Pro-Vitamin B5), Aspatric Acid, Fragrance, Cyclopentasiloxane, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Dmdm Hydantoin, Benzophenone-3, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Tetrasodium Edta, Simethicone, Bht.

Chicoro

Found another one! As soon as her video came up in my feed I KNEW she was a Shea butter user. I could see it!

This is the video that I saw first and my Spidey Senses started going wild once the video started to play!

Below video,
It is in this video, at around 8:00 minutes where she talks about the products she uses.

Video title:

07 CHOSES QUI ONT CHANGÉ DANS MA ROUTINE CAPILLAIRE ! OBJECTIF POUSSE ET FACILITÉ​

Mon Afro Libre

(Things that changed within my hair routine! Objective Growth and Ease )

The product that she uses: lollubay hair mask. First ingredient: SHEA butter!

Last edited:

Dare~to~Dream

I've read parts of the older shea butter threads but they were much too long so I didn't finish them. However, since this thread is short, I read it from beginning to end. I would love to get the benefits of using shea butter in my hair but the first time I tried it years and years ago, I pretty much hated it. Back then mango butter reigned supreme for my hair but it began to get difficult finding quality unrefined mango butter so I stopped using it. Though I can find unrefined mango butter a bit easier now, it's still didn't seem to be of the same quality I used years ago.

Back to shea butter: I decided to try it again for about 2-3 months last year after reading some threads on here. Once I perfected the way I mixed it with other oils, I liked it a lot. However, it still began to be too much for my fine hair over time. Yet, I keep seeing these videos that are posted in here of women with long(er), thick(er) hair and I want that for myself. So I watched a video today of a woman using her shea butter mix as pre-shampoo treatment. I could incorporate it that way or maybe I could just add 1-3 tablespoons in my deep conditioner. That way I would be rinsing it out instead of sealing with it and leaving it on to weigh my hair down. I am hoping that I would still see results by using it this way. I probably won't start this until probably January 2023 though.

Last edited:

Dare~to~Dream

Update: I've been looking at videos of shea butter mixes but only found one other video where someone mixed shea butter into their deep conditioner. I have a great deep conditoner that I've been using for almost a year now and had no plans of using another deep conditioner. I believe I still have some raw shea butter in the fridge from last year and planned on adding that to it. However, I decided to search for deep conditioners that contained shea butter besides drugstore brands like Shea Moisture and Cantu. I found one that seems promising but it's more on the expensive side. If I buy it, I would alternate weeks using it as I still want to use my regular deep conditioner. It's probably more cost effective mixing up my own shea butter and adding as much or as little as I need to my regular deep conditioner.

After all the video watching and extensive internet searches for deep conditioners that contained shea butter, it came to me to check the ingredients on my current products. I've been using the Sienna Naturals product line for the last few months and for the first time ever, I love a shampoo, rinse-out conditioner, leave-in, and spray moisturizer from one product line. Turns out, the leave-in conditioner has shea butter as the 5th ingredient! Not sure how I forgot that since I thoroughly investigated each ingredient before I decided to buy. I love this stuff! It definitely has just the right amount because my hair is never weighed down but feels light and stays moisturized for days after I wash and condition before I have to moisturize again. So happy to find this out (again). I still want to use a deep conditioner with shea butter in it too but for now I like knowing that for the past few months, my leave-in conditioner has it and it's been working quite well for me.

Chicoro

Update: I've been looking at videos of shea butter mixes but only found one other video where someone mixed shea butter into their deep conditioner. I have a great deep conditoner that I've been using for almost a year now and had no plans of using another deep conditioner. I believe I still have some raw shea butter in the fridge from last year and planned on adding that to it. However, I decided to search for deep conditioners that contained shea butter besides drugstore brands like Shea Moisture and Cantu. I found one that seems promising but it's more on the expensive side. If I buy it, I would alternate weeks using it as I still want to use my regular deep conditioner. It's probably more cost effective mixing up my own shea butter and adding as much or as little as I need to my regular deep conditioner.

After all the video watching and extensive internet searches for deep conditioners that contained shea butter, it came to me to check the ingredients on my current products. I've been using the Sienna Naturals product line for the last few months and for the first time ever, I love a shampoo, rinse-out conditioner, leave-in, and spray moisturizer from one product line. Turns out, the leave-in conditioner has shea butter as the 5th ingredient! Not sure how I forgot that since I thoroughly investigated each ingredient before I decided to buy. I love this stuff! It definitely has just the right amount because my hair is never weighed down but feels light and stays moisturized for days after I wash and condition before I have to moisturize again. So happy to find this out (again). I still want to use a deep conditioner with shea butter in it too but for now I like knowing that for the past few months, my leave-in conditioner has it and it's been working quite well for me.
Look at this analysis, reflection and understanding. I always say growing afro textured hair is a thinking game, not a guessing game. YOU are and will continue to be successful. Bravo! Looking forward to taking a ride with you as you continue on your wonderful hair journey.

yamilee21

Alaffia makes relatively inexpensive conditioners with shea butter. I found that the Everyday Shea ones felt as if they just coated the hair, but the Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating one worked well. (The regular Everyday Coconut does not contain shea butter.)

Dare~to~Dream

Look at this analysis, reflection and understanding. I always say growing afro textured hair is a thinking game, not a guessing game. YOU are and will continue to be successful. Bravo! Looking forward to taking a ride with you as you continue on your wonderful hair journey.
Aw thank you for the kind words! You are right. This whole year has been an analysis and reflection of sorts for me: what worked really well and what worked just okay with one or two things not working that great at all. At the beginning of the year, I wrote out my hair regimen that highlighted what I'd be doing for maximum growth and length retention. I switched products a couple of times but always used them long enough to evaluate how my hair liked them and/or whether my hair thrived with them. I also wrote out a new regimen for late summer/fall and will do the same for winter/early January. The techniques don't change much but sometimes the products do depending on my hair's needs. However, I won't be changing my core products since I've found what has been working so well.

I've also been mindful of my nutrition: drinking smoothies with greens, fruit, vegan protein with non-dairy milk and making sure that any gaps are met with supplements. There are more things I could be doing in this area though and hopefully I can improve them and get back on track with some other things as well.

I'm definitely looking forward to this ongoing journey to longer, stronger and healthier hair.

Chicoro

Aw thank you for the kind words! You are right. This whole year has been an analysis and reflection of sorts for me: what worked really well and what worked just okay with one or two things not working that great at all. At the beginning of the year, I wrote out my hair regimen that highlighted what I'd be doing for maximum growth and length retention. I switched products a couple of times but always used them long enough to evaluate how my hair liked them and/or whether my hair thrived with them. I also wrote out a new regimen for late summer/fall and will do the same for winter/early January. The techniques don't change much but sometimes the products do depending on my hair's needs. However, I won't be changing my core products since I've found what has been working so well.

I've also been mindful of my nutrition: drinking smoothies with greens, fruit, vegan protein with non-dairy milk and making sure that any gaps are met with supplements. There are more things I could be doing in this area though and hopefully I can improve them and get back on track with some other things as well.

I'm definitely looking forward to this ongoing journey to longer, stronger and healthier hair.
I'm gone be right there with you! Stalking, staring and being nosey.

Chicoro

Another lovely Shea butter head. She is just starting her journey in 2022. I think she started to use Shea butter probably less than 6 months. You can see the deep color and shine of her jet black hair. She uses straight, unmixed Shea butter directly on her hair. She also uses a commercial mask with Shea butter for deep conditioning.

Chicoro

I realized that I have become a Shea butter head, myself. I rooted around in my Fotki and pulled a photo from 2005. My hair was thick and beautiful then, but the quality and hydration of my hair were different. I started using Shea butter eleven (11) years later in 2016. My Shea butter journey started in December 2016. Thus, I have been on my Shea butter journey for 5 years. Here is my Shea hair transformation:

NaturalHairandBun Feb 6th 2005.jpegHair Dry Oil with Flax Gel Nov 27th 2022 C.jpeg

Caveat: 2005 has no product. It's freshly washed and conditioned hair.
Caveat: Nov 2022 hair is completely new. I lost 10 to 12 inches of hair when I over-trimmed my own hair in 2012 and had to start hair journey over after that set-back.

February 2005 texture vs November 2022 texture ( 5 year Shea butter user started Dec 2016)

Last edited:

caribeandiva

Human being
I realized that I have become a Shea butter head, myself. I rooted around in my Fotki and pulled a photo from 2005. My hair was thick and beautiful then, but the quality and hydration of my hair were different. I started using Shea butter eleven (11) years later in 2016. My Shea butter journey started in December 2016. Thus, I have been on my Shea butter journey for 5 years. Here is my Shea hair transformation:

View attachment 484975View attachment 484977

Caveat: 2005 has no product. It's freshly washed and conditioned hair.
Caveat: Nov 2022 hair is completely new. I lost 10 to 12 inches of hair when I over-trimmed my own hair in 2012 and had to start hair journey over after that set-back.

February 2005 texture vs November 2022 texture ( 5 year Shea butter user started Dec 2016)
Wow!!! What a difference!