Shea butter Growth and Retention thread 2021

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
Came across another Shea Butter Hair Product Line: Afro Candy Hair Products, based in England

1672421990295.png

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!

This lady says she has seven steps that helped her break her growth plateau in the last three (3) years.
  • Step number four is use a deep conditioner: She adds Shea butter.
  • Step number six seal ends with Shea butter and bees wax.

It's the Shea butter for growth, Alex!

She got her recipes for steps four and six from the lovely lady:

Last edited:

CityGirlLuv

I'm assuming this thread continues into 2023 (couldn't find a 2023 challenge). I've purchased Shea Nilotica recently (and a few more butters). as about six years ago, I grew my hair to BSL quite fast (from about shoulder length) using a shea butter and cocoa butter mixture from an Etsy shop. They had closed and I regret not just continuing it by whipping it up myself. I have a suspicion that's the shea form they used as the western shea butter always makes my hair feel weird. I'm at MBL as we speak, but getting back into using this mix.

ETA: Im actually at MBL, not BSL.

Last edited:

Dare~to~Dream

I still like reading about the benefits of using shea butter in this thread and other threads as well as watching the videos that are shared here. I will continue to use products that incorporate some shea butter since that is best way for me to use it in my hair. For my fine hair, it just works best if a commercial deep conditioner or leave-in includes it as one of the ingredients as opposed to using it as a pure butter to seal my ends.

Recently, I have found a hair butter that is excellent so far. This will be my third week using it. It is mango butter based which has always worked great on my hair but it has some shea butter in it as well so I'm getting the benefits of both in this one product. I haven't tried nilotica shea butter and I just might try it one day to see if it works better as a pure butter for my hair.

CityGirlLuv

I still like reading about the benefits of using shea butter in this thread and other threads as well as watching the videos that are shared here. I will continue to use products that incorporate some shea butter since that is best way for me to use it in my hair. For my fine hair, it just works best if a commercial deep conditioner or leave-in includes it as one of the ingredients as opposed to using it as a pure butter to seal my ends.

Recently, I have found a hair butter that is excellent so far. This will be my third week using it. It is mango butter based which has always worked great on my hair but it has some shea butter in it as well so I'm getting the benefits of both in this one product. I haven't tried nilotica shea butter and I just might try it one day to see if it works better as a pure butter for my hair.
It's weird how picky hair is. I also have fine hair, but medium density and commercial products just don't do it much justice. It still ends up being dry within an hour or so. But I also use the LOC method and using shea butter last (in place of the cream). I do have a moisturizer I am using, but also trying to use it up as well.