Shea butter Growth and Retention thread 2021

naturaldoll

Hi ya'll!:hiya:

Although i'm still pretty new, and don't know the ends and outs of the board, I can see from my time here that past shea retention threads started by @Chicoro and @planet cybertron and inspired by @ThatJerseyGirl have been a important -wealth of knowledge about the growth of hair and miraculous-ness of queen of hair care, shea butter. As such, i can't stand to see these threads end, so a picking up the torch so that future members can learn about amazing queen shea.

So here we are! let's bow to the queen and celebrate the magnificent Shea

Copied from @Chicoro with many recipes from @ElevatedEnergy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Things We've Learned About Shea Butter in 2019
  • Shea butter greatly impacts the physical appearance afro-textured hair in three (3) areas:
    1. Other worldly Thickness
    2. Other worldly Length
    3. Other worldly Darkness/Blackness (hair coloring)NEW! in 2019
  • Shea butter is biologically active. Unlike hair grease with a petroleum or paraffin base, which is inert.
  • Shea butter covered hair tends to have LESS SHRINKAGE, especially when used in conjunction with a leave in hair conditioner. (Post #427 and #428)
  • Shea butter mixed with coffee infused ceramide oil, in conjunction with dry exfoliation can lighten scars and stretch marks. (Post # 160)
  • Shea butter mixed with citronella essential oil can help to repel mosquitos. (Post # 702)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RECIPES
  1. Shea Butter and Coffee Oil for Scars: Post #160 by @ElevatedEnergy
  2. Shea Butter and Glycerin: Post # 514 by @water_n_oil
  3. Shea Butter Mosquito Repellent: Post #703 by @Chicoro
  4. Shea Butter Melt, Freeze and Whip: Post #227 by @ElevatedEnergy
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Shea Vitamins
  1. Vitamin F = Linoleic Acid (@PlanetCybertron )
  2. Vitamin A =
  3. Vitamin D =
  4. Vitamin E =

My Hair
With my hair personally, i had beautiful, thick-ish hair as a child. Then as a teenager, i began to experience breakage, that got worse when I started
caring for my own hair and became over processed. My hair would snap off whenever touched, nothing seemed to help, and i ended up around chin length. For years i lived with that, I had no idea how to fix my hair, or that it was even possible. I used the internet for celebrity drama, i had no idea hair boards or hair youtube existed. I thought i just had terrible hair, and it was my destiny to always have terrible hair

When I was 23, I found a copy of Cathy howes's book at goodwill, and It was like a bomb went off in my head. I devoured that book, finished in a day. Then started clicking around on google searching for more information. That's how i found my way to curly nikki's blog, and the concept og going natural was introduced to me.

Within a month I had begun transitioning. 13 months later, i cut my hair off.

My hair grew quickly at first. Within the first two years, i made it to APL. But never could get breakage and tangling under control. I would hear hair youtubers say their hair was braided or twisted 90% of the time and hair should be styled no more than once a week. Then i'd try say a headful of plaits for a week, and my ends would tangle and mesh together like a impossible spiderweb and untangling would eat my ends to shreds.

During this time I would not use Shea butter. I tried it early in my natural hair journey, but it stank, was rock hard, and seemed to flake and make my tangling worse and contribute to dryness. My hair wasn't too short, it hovered between APL and BSL in length, but stayed there for several years, and i used various store bought products products that made my hair look healthy and all. But i wasn't convinced it was the best it could be.

Then i found my way to 22nd century natural's youtube and hair products. MY HAIR THRIVED LIKE NEVER BEFORE!! Immediately it was shiny, i had never known my hair to shine, and defined, and soft, but not coated feeling, and it stayed detangled! Around the same time I randomly found my way to LHCF, and the 2018 shea growth thread. What was being said sounded like what i was experiencing with 22nd cn's products. Then i realized, her products are based in shea. So i decided to give Shea another chance. I went out to walart and got a 8oz tub of ok natural's yellow shea butter and the rest is history.

Today i keep my hair in two strand twists nonstop, only taking down once i month to redo. I wash in those twists and everything. But i try to moisturize and seal with shea butter daily. And on redo day they come apart as easily as fresh, day old twists, with minimal tangling. The shed hairs slide out with barely any effort. This has helped me finally break past BSL after 8 years natural. I'm now kissing waist length in the back (my sides and front always grow a little slower, so i'm BSL on the side and APL in front)

hair1.jpghair2.jpghair3.jpghair4.jpg

If I can do it YOU CAN DO IT!!

Nothing is impossible with Queen Shea!!

Up until I measured this morning, I believed i was a solid BSL all the way around. I had no idea I was waist length in back or even that it was possible for e to hit waist length. I thought of it as a far off dream. Now I know it's all possible.

My next goal is Hip length in back !! And i know i can do it with queen shea on my side!!

So please join me and shaking off the dust of 2020, and continuing to explore the benefits of and pamper our hair with wonderous shea butter

Trusted shea butter vendors

Fragrance oils

Most users whip their she butter, or otherwise mix with various carrier oils, to soften the shea, make application easier, and absorbtion better. I personally like a mixed of mostly shea and a small amount of safflower, and mamey seed oils, blended with a immersion blender until creamy. But oils, ratios and method of mixing, or whether to mix at all is totally up to you. Have fun, and tell us about your shea adventures.

past threads included:

Alright shea unicorns, let's go!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

naturaldoll

Every year I say I'm going to do this and every year I fall behind on the thread and give up. This year I plan to do better.

@naturaldoll What's the benefit of it being biologically active? I don't really understand what that means.
I'm assuming that's from 22nd century, if so, i think that was her was of saying unrefined as opposed to refined shea butter. I know the refining process takes out some of the beneficial vitamins and nutrients

Also never worry about falling behind, you are welcome to jump in at any time! Every day is a new chance to get started, or back on the wagon.

Cloudina Dreams

Bless you for picking up the torch! And thank you for sharing your story. Your hair is gorgeous. I am looking forward to see how far shea is going to bring us in 2021. I got my 3cayg order maybe around 1-2 weeks ago and I am very impressed with the quality. Her shea doesn't have the lingering firewood smell at all like some other brands do.The wait for shipping wasn't bad either as she uses fedex.

Black Ambrosia

@Black Ambrosia

A portion of Shea butter is bioactive due to the vitamins that are in it.

Thanks. I'm probably not being clear on what's confusing me.

What does bioactive mean? According to google, that means it has a biological effect but I'm still fuzzy on what that means. Sounds like it does something but what? Should I infer that other hair products aren't biologically available? If I read a label and a product has different nutrients and vitamins listed, is it safe to assume the product is biologically available aka bioactive? I'm guessing both terms mean it can access the good stuff in the ingredient list but I'd appreciate more info because I've been assuming that about products in general and it sounds like maybe that's wrong.

keranikki

Natural, 3abc/4a, Fine, medium density
Thanks. I'm probably not being clear on what's confusing me.

What does bioactive mean? According to google, that means it has a biological effect but I'm still fuzzy on what that means. Sounds like it does something but what? Should I infer that other hair products aren't biologically available? If I read a label and a product has different nutrients and vitamins listed, is it safe to assume the product is biologically available aka bioactive? I'm guessing both terms mean it can access the good stuff in the ingredient list but I'd appreciate more info because I've been assuming that about products in general and it sounds like maybe that's wrong.

Ah, I think I got it. I just don't know the best way to explain it.

Bioactive mostly refers to living things. Shea butter is bioactive, due to the vitamins and nutrients that are a result of the "biological effect" of the growth of the Shea nut.

Products claim to be bioactive due to the extracted vitamins and minerals that are placed in it, but technically they are not for the vitamins are not a result of a "biological effect" of the making of the product. It's also not a guarantee that the vitamins are truly viable after exposure to the processing of the product.

I hope this makes sense.

Black Ambrosia

Ah, I think I got it. I just don't know the best way to explain it.

Bioactive mostly refers to living things. Shea butter is bioactive, due to the vitamins and nutrients that are a result of the "biological effect" of the growth of the Shea nut.

Products claim to be bioactive due to the extracted vitamins and minerals that are placed in it, but technically they are not for the vitamins are not a result of a "biological effect" of the making of the product. It's also not a guarantee that the vitamins are truly viable after exposure to the processing of the product.

I hope this makes sense.
Thanks. I think I'm starting to understand. So shea butter is bioactive because the shea nut naturally contains those vitamins as opposed to them being added and they're still viable after processing?

bzb1990

3b/3c. henna/cassia.
This was very comprehensive thank you.
It was also written so the whole thing doesn't sound overwhelming. I hope you have a blog and if not, should consider one.
My writing is unstructured and erratic...
so I always notice when ppl have a naturally structured anf eloquent style

SB has helped,
made easier to use when liquified with other oils (those being smaller quantities) as I dont own an egg beater machine.
The challenge is to keep it away from face/scalp due to risk of breakouts
That too is doable with the satin cap at night and twists pinned back during the day.
I noticed it no longer makes me break out as long as I keep it away from face AT NIGHT. Daytime doesn't seem to matter.

This morning used SB + Grapeseed oil + bit of cacao butter.

This year, I hope to be able try Shea Nilotica (which ItMeLilLucky mentioned as being her fave)...as soon as my NOW S.B. is finished.

I really like this line - when combined with the result in your pictures:
I thought i just had terrible hair, and it was my destiny to always have terrible hair
:urock:

Have Shea butter (with grapeseed and cacao) melted into Body Butter Base from New Direction Aromatics
(in Ontario, Canada for anyone who lives here.... they are just as good as Eden Botanicals and other US companies in sourcing but no need to pay additional S&H + import fees cost!)
The new directions already has Shea butter in majority of their ready made mixes including the body butter base
... which my hair liked in the past. Adding it just gives an extra kick.
They also sell different types of shea butter!! I really like this company for DIY .. they list lab reports and sources.

naturaldoll

Starting the new year off strong

Last night i moisturized/re twisted with xcel-21 and sealed with my last shea butter mix, this one i believe was actually y daughter's skin mix, but it was closest. It was shea and cocoa butters, with broccoli seed and apricot oil, scented wit p&j french vanilla. Not y favorite for hair,it's too light,works awesome for skin though.

this morning i washed my daughter's hair, then slathered on the same shea butter and put in 8 plaits, 4 on each side.

I gotta get us back on track. We kept up our same routine for most of 2020, then in the last quarter completely fell off. Last spring we moved to a primarily white area, and my daughter's been begging to wear her hair down like her friends, so this fall i relented and let her wear alot of braid outs. Her hair's still pretty long, she's around tailbone length, but it looks alot less healthy to me. so back into the plaits she goes. plus it's easier for when she wants to play.

my hair stayed in my twists but went weeks and weeks without washing or moisturizing. I bought a new scent from amazon back in august, it's called "carribean queen" but i haven't used it yet because i haven't run out of the last batch of shea butter. i'm gonna make some of my hair ix scented like carribean queen whether i need it or not probably when i get a chance tomorrow.

This week i also did protein treatments for each of us with unflavored gelatin. Am I the only one doing that? I saw it on a naptural85 video, have been using it ever since and it works fine, but i've been wondering lately if i should switch to aphogee or something

bzb1990

3b/3c. henna/cassia.
Starting the new year off strong

Last night i moisturized/re twisted with xcel-21 and sealed with my last shea butter mix, this one i believe was actually y daughter's skin mix, but it was closest. It was shea and cocoa butters, with broccoli seed and apricot oil, scented wit p&j french vanilla. Not y favorite for hair,it's too light,works awesome for skin though.

this morning i washed my daughter's hair, then slathered on the same shea butter and put in 8 plaits, 4 on each side.

I gotta get us back on track. We kept up our same routine for most of 2020, then in the last quarter completely fell off. Last spring we moved to a primarily white area, and my daughter's been begging to wear her hair down like her friends, so this fall i relented and let her wear alot of braid outs. Her hair's still pretty long, she's around tailbone length, but it looks alot less healthy to me. so back into the plaits she goes. plus it's easier for when she wants to play.

my hair stayed in my twists but went weeks and weeks without washing or moisturizing. I bought a new scent from amazon back in august, it's called "carribean queen" but i haven't used it yet because i haven't run out of the last batch of shea butter. i'm gonna make some of my hair ix scented like carribean queen whether i need it or not probably when i get a chance tomorrow.

This week i also did protein treatments for each of us with unflavored gelatin. Am I the only one doing that? I saw it on a naptural85 video, have been using it ever since and it works fine, but i've been wondering lately if i should switch to aphogee or something
I would not mind having French vanilla scented skin or hair..

I did the Knox gelatin thing with same blow drying etc technique as for Aphogee years ago as a new mom, when i couldn't afford the Aphogee.. it worked way way better than the Aphogee. I googled the instructions for Aphogee (makeupallet had good tips) and followed it

I tried Aphogee after including the pH balancing conditioner.. the Knox thing with my simple Natures Gate Aloe condish worked far far better. Actually had to cut out much of the hair that had been Aphogee'd twice only...a year or 2 down the line.

Aphogee 's main protein treatment doesn't work on my fine hair nor their green tea spray. I think you're not missing anything. I think the spray is actually worse since it clings on unevenly and renders a rough surface unless omyou soak the hair in it, but that isnt cost effective.

I would have continued with the Knox except that gelatin is technically haram for me to use, and I feel bad using it on my hair even...when I have alternatives...I bet the Aphogee and others also contain these things.. but the knox worked way better imo.
Anyway your daughter is lucky to have a mom who does the braiding etc my mom was awful to me with my hair! She just wrenched the comb through mercilessly and created more tangles! Lol
The Caribbean scent sounds good. I have a whole bottle of FO (Champaka) to get through though, that I shouldn't look into anything else. It takes so little though... if you overdo it, it is basically hideous.

Godsdaughter001

Thank @naturaldoll you for this thread! I will be stopping by often as I can. I was a lurker of the other shea butter threads, but I was using it as well and noticed longer length, but more importantly THICKNESS galore - and I already had thick hair. But it is on another level now. I will continue to use it this year as well. Good luck everyone on your shea butter hair goals :)

Mapleoats

Shea butter makes my hair so soft, but pillow soft hair usually means frizzing for me. Styles won’t last long and tangles easy. Not a problem if I’m in a protective style/ not wearing my hair out. But I like to transition my protective styles into out styles eventually and then it becomes a problem.

Does anyone else experience this? How do you mitigate?

Cloudina Dreams

Shea butter makes my hair so soft, but pillow soft hair usually means frizzing for me. Styles won’t last long and tangles easy. Not a problem if I’m in a protective style/ not wearing my hair out. But I like to transition my protective styles into out styles eventually and then it becomes a problem.

Does anyone else experience this? How do you mitigate?
That's a good question and I'm curious as well. I read from chicorro in prior shea threads that she couldn't wear out styles with shea butter, only protective.

By the way, do you all melt your butters before you whip or do you whip as is? I've seen various ways and just wondering what everyone does. Does your decision to melt or not melt depend on the butter?

Mapleoats

That's a good question and I'm curious as well. I read from chicorro in prior shea threads that she couldn't wear out styles with shea butter, only protective.

By the way, do you all melt your butters before you whip or do you whip as is? I've seen various ways and just wondering what everyone does. Does your decision to melt or not melt depend on the butter?
Since switching to Shea nilotica I just use it straight out the tub no whipping

I didn’t see the post where @Chicoro mentions she can’t wear out styles with Shea butter. Interesting

Mapleoats

Shea butter is HORRIBLE on my hair for "out" styles. It leaves my hair dry, dull, hard and coated. BUT, for my braids, it leaves them moist and soft. It's amazing how little tweaks can make a product work for your hair.

That is why I always, always tell people to document their hair journey with written text and especially pictures. I love how @AdoraAdora24 records her process with pictures. She writes information on her pictures that she posts, which kills two birds with one stone. I do the same, but mainly in my Fotki album. I may start doing that some more here, too.
Thanks @Cloudina Dreams found it!

bzb1990

3b/3c. henna/cassia.
Early morning -
ACv rinse then Argan oil. Plain Shea butter last.
SB with camellia Emu cocoa butter rosemary cassia etc on edges and the bald spots. Idk if it makes any difference.
Pleased to notice no issues re: breakouts still.

Seems going the extra mile in my case is not worth it, because apparently Argan is similar to EVOO, CO or palm kernel in that it does absorb into the hair strands somewhat.
So layering that oil first, then SB as the coating to soften and protect strands, is working better than mixing multiple oils into SB, I think. Used 'steam' from the kettle to help it melt a bit. Nilotica should not need that.
Simplicity always works best with my particularly fragile hair.