Shea butter Growth and Retention thread 2021

bzb1990

3b/3c. henna/cassia.
Shea butter makes my hair so soft, but pillow soft hair usually means frizzing for me. Styles won’t last long and tangles easy. Not a problem if I’m in a protective style/ not wearing my hair out. But I like to transition my protective styles into out styles eventually and then it becomes a problem.

Does anyone else experience this? How do you mitigate?
I remember Jostylin would just mix hemp seed oil and Shea butter in her palms on the spot (iirc) and run it through the braid out... her hair type might be ok with something others cannot do of course.

GGsKin

That's a good question and I'm curious as well. I read from chicorro in prior shea threads that she couldn't wear out styles with shea butter, only protective.

By the way, do you all melt your butters before you whip or do you whip as is? I've seen various ways and just wondering what everyone does. Does your decision to melt or not melt depend on the butter?

I no longer melt my shea butter before whipping it up. Over the years, I noticed that it was an unnecessary additional step and I prefer as few steps as possible. I just use a knife or spoon to scrape or slice and add to the mixing bowl- the thinner the better. I use the beater attachment first, and then go in with the whisk attachment to make it light and fluffy.

Cloudina Dreams

I no longer melt my shea butter before whipping it up. Over the years, I noticed that it was an unnecessary additional step and I prefer as few steps as possible. I just use a knife or spoon to scrape or slice and add to the mixing bowl- the thinner the better. I use the beater attachment first, and then go in with the whisk attachment to make it light and fluffy.
Thanks for your help. I am going to try it this way and see how it comes out. I just got one of those handheld immersion blenders (my bootleg handmixer broke on my last mix lol). I wanted to do a multi butter blend with 3 kinds of shea butters and some cocoa butter in there. All are different textures! I'll scape thin layers from the firmer butters, add some type of oil and see what we get :D

bzb1990

3b/3c. henna/cassia.
I feel like I'm making meringue but it's just whipped SB...has anyone here used aloe in it?
If so do you make small batches so it won't go bad or does it need a preservative?
This stuff is so multi-purpose. The remnants of the melted SB make a great face mask. I just washed it off with my Nablus OO soap and my skin feels awesome.

ItsMeLilLucky

Aka Giveme D’Monee
I feel like I'm making meringue but it's just whipped SB...has anyone here used aloe in it?
If so do you make small batches so it won't go bad or does it need a preservative?
This stuff is so multi-purpose. The remnants of the melted SB make a great face mask. I just washed it off with my Nablus OO soap and my skin feels awesome.
If you’re using aloe, you need a preservative unless you make a really small batch that you can use in a week.

yamilee21

I have been mixing shea with aloe, other oils and essential oils for years. I usually make several large jars at a time. I do not use a preservative, and the mixes last months without ever going bad. However, my house is very cold, even during the summer sometimes, so that probably helps.

ItsMeLilLucky

Aka Giveme D’Monee
You Rick Rolled me - and I don't even use shea! That's what I get for lurking :lachen:

The Bob Ross 'Joy of Painting' Vault Is Wide Open, and We're Ready ...

That was a happy little accident :lol:

bzb1990

3b/3c. henna/cassia.
My youngest actually touched my hair (while sitting stop the step ladder during Zoom call to show off to his classmates) and pulled at a strand and went, 'I like this hair.'

It was just a WNG with Revlon Uniq and the simpler shea butter mix I put together, used lavishly.
Then some ic HP aloe gel. Normally, he pulls at my hair and goes, 'No I don't LIKE this! No take it off please.'
:lol:

caribeandiva

Human being
My hair progress so far! I big chopped in December 2019. Started over from scratch. I haven’t straightened my hair since January 2020. I’ll post comparison pics of my straight hair when I get it done later this month. My regimen is simple:
-shampoo and deep condition weekly with Satinique moisturizing shampoo and conditioner. Then turban towel dry. Honestly I don’t get to deep condition under a hooded dryer after every shampoo (I do maybe once a month or less) but I always condition for at least 5 minutes after every shampoo while I’m showering.
-apply S-curl as leave in conditioner then slather on whipped Shea butter to seal and flat twist.
-do twist outs in the morning then retwist at night using LOC method with water, s-curl and whipped Shea butter.
-protein treatments as needed. I use Aphogee 2 step every 2-3 months followed by a moisturizing deep conditioner.
-I haven’t been to the salon or had a trim in over a year thanks to the pandemic.
-I couldn’t do twist outs until April 2020 because my hair was too short. I did wash and gos from January to April because of that.

5A06B093-9B1E-44F1-896D-19D29B19E8BC.jpeg

9A3B59A1-6798-4761-99DB-124ACA2E7A1C.jpeg

naturaldoll

My hair progress so far! I big chopped in December 2019. Started over from scratch. I haven’t straightened my hair since January 2020. I’ll post comparison pics of my straight hair when I get it done later this month. My regimen is simple:
-shampoo and deep condition weekly with Satinique moisturizing shampoo and conditioner. Then turban towel dry. Honestly I don’t get to deep condition under a hooded dryer after every shampoo (I do maybe once a month or less) but I always condition for at least 5 minutes after every shampoo while I’m showering.
-apply S-curl as leave in conditioner then slather on whipped Shea butter to seal and flat twist.
-do twist outs in the morning then retwist at night using LOC method with water, s-curl and whipped Shea butter.
-protein treatments as needed. I use Aphogee 2 step every 2-3 months followed by a moisturizing deep conditioner.
-I haven’t been to the salon or had a trim in over a year thanks to the pandemic.
-I couldn’t do twist outs until April 2020 because my hair was too short. I did wash and gos from January to April because of that.

View attachment 467267

View attachment 467269
Congratulations! Your hair looks beautiful, I remember your set back and was wondering how you were doing

Goombay_Summer

Admittedly I only lurked in last year's thread although my commitment to Shea Butter remained steadfast. I have a testimonial even if it isn't my own, July 2020 my parents returned to the Bahamas and I gifted my mother 3 jars of my diy shea butter mix at which time her and my disrespectful niece looked at me like I'd developed 3 heads.

Actually they hurt my feelings because they laughed at Queen Shea although I had her in professional looking packaging and combined with great oils like EVCO, grape seed, tamanu, aragan, and pracaxi oilss . Then last week completely out of the blue my mother called in a panic and said that they were all out of lotion could I possibly fedEx some if I wasn't able to bring it myself. I replied that the whole island of New Providence couldn't possibly have run out of lotion lol.

Then she stated that they needed more of that diy stuff that I had given them. She started using it on her skin and was having excellent results when she remembered me stating that it could be used on the body as well as hair with excellent results. Mama Goombay claimed that it made her hair feel extremely soft and then my Daddy Summer started getting in on the act and started using it has well but she said that he was a little heavy handed with it lol. That's how my parents became converts.

awhyley

Admittedly I only lurked in last year's thread although my commitment to Shea Butter remained steadfast. I have a testimonial even if it isn't my own, July 2020 my parents returned to the Bahamas and I gifted my mother 3 jars of my diy shea butter mix at which time her and my disrespectful niece looked at me like I'd developed 3 heads.

Actually they hurt my feelings because they laughed at Queen Shea although I had her in professional looking packaging and combined with great oils like EVCO, grape seed, tamanu, aragan, and pracaxi oilss . Then last week completely out of the blue my mother called in a panic and said that they were all out of lotion could I possibly fedEx some if I wasn't able to bring it myself. I replied that the whole island of New Providence couldn't possibly have run out of lotion lol.

Then she stated that they needed more of that diy stuff that I had given them. She started using it on her skin and was having excellent results when she remembered me stating that it could be used on the body as well as hair with excellent results. Mama Goombay claimed that it made her hair feel extremely soft and then my Daddy Summer started getting in on the act and started using it has well but she said that he was a little heavy handed with it lol. That's how my parents became converts.

If you're sending to the Bahamas, don't forget ya people. (I have a Fedex account) :laugh:

snoop

I'm in. Now that I can use it without my hair feeling like rocks, it's safe to go in my hair without hesitation. I have been using it as part of LCOB, where B is my shea butter and I use it as a detangler as I install my twists. I will use it at random times to seal my hair as well, but I'm less consistent with that as I'm now trying out a new regimen.

I have some whipped shea that I'll apply on my skin after lotioning. I love feeling soft.:look:

ItsMeLilLucky

Aka Giveme D’Monee
I’ve been testing out my LCBG combo, then I baggy the next day since it’s really dry in the place I’m at. So far so good. I don’t know how long this combo is gonna last, but as long as my head isn’t itchy I’m all for it. I’m at 9 weeks or so post relaxer.