Shea butter Growth and Retention thread 2021

yamilee21

here it is. I told y'all I fell off, I feel like my hair is shorter than in the OP. Plus this is my first time straightening in 10 years, so I had no idea my ends were so choppy. Do I need a cut?

I resist cutting as much as possible, but my ends were similar (more lopsided though), so I sucked it up and cut. How does it look when your hair is gathered together, as compared to spread out over your shoulders? The scissor-happy stylists on Instagram seem to spread the hair out more, as in your picture, in order to cut more off on purpose, but I always suspect that less would need to be cut if the hair were gathered together.

ETA: Never mind, @Chicoro gave you great advice in the other thread. :D

Last edited:

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
When I saw this woman's hair, I IMMEDIATELY knew she used Shea butter in her regimen:

She wrote me a little note. Here is her video with her using her Shea butter mix. In the video she says she mixes Shea butter, castor oil, sweet almond oil and some un-named essential oils.

Last edited:

keranikki

Natural, 3abc/4a, Fine, medium density
Salutations to all! It's definitely been a while. I cut my hair on 3 December. I couldn't tell you the length, but it's too short to put in a bun. I'm enjoying it. I'm currently doing a hair detox, so I have refrained from using Shea or any oils to that matter. So far, my curls are doing great. We'll see what the future holds.
All of the dye is gone. I'm rocking my nature color and I love it. Hopefully, the picture comes out okay.
Please don't mind the background. I'm at the in-laws.

Edit: Photos
54803D5F-A173-49EB-8D8A-140759D49640.jpegF2C4041C-E73C-47E1-9153-1182F24BC36F.jpeg56C51F50-535E-4DAB-B94B-CD5EE3FBF697.jpeg

Last edited:

Chicoro

Salutations to all! It's definitely been a while. I cut my hair on 3 December. I couldn't tell you the length, but it's too short to put in a bun. I'm enjoying it. I'm currently doing a hair detox, so I have refrained from using Shea or any oils to that matter. So far, my curls are doing great. We'll see what the future holds.
All of the dye is gone. I'm rocking my nature color and I love it. Hopefully, the picture comes out okay.

Edit: the picture won't upload. I will try again later.
Waiting for the repost of the picture!!!!

Chicoro

Edit: Photos
View attachment 477929View attachment 477931View attachment 477933
Is it shoulder length?

Black Ambrosia

Found another Shea butter user. She is relaxed, too!

Thanks for sharing. I like how light and moisturizing this appears to be. I may try it soon. I really want to get better about my hair habits. WFH has been great in minimizing the times I put heat on my hair and I've been able to run without the stress of worrying about how my hair looks but I've become lazy. I wash my hair, put it in a protective style, and forget about it. I'm not moisturizing regularly and I end up spending too much time detangling before the next wash day. I know better habits will be good for my hair and my scalp.

Chicoro

Thanks for sharing. I like how light and moisturizing this appears to be. I may try it soon. I really want to get better about my hair habits. WFH has been great in minimizing the times I put heat on my hair and I've been able to run without the stress of worrying about how my hair looks but I've become lazy. I wash my hair, put it in a protective style, and forget about it. I'm not moisturizing regularly and I end up spending too much time detangling before the next wash day. I know better habits will be good for my hair and my scalp.
What is WFH? Yes, her product is gorgeously light! Unfortunately, tangles can set your length goals back quicker than almost anything else. Tangles are dangerous for our Afro hair, as it relates to length retention.

Black Ambrosia

What is WFH? Yes, her product is gorgeously light! Unfortunately, tangles can set your length goals back quicker than almost anything else. Tangles are dangerous for our Afro hair, as it relates to length retention.
Sorry. It's a common acronym here for working from home. One positive of the pandemic is not going into the office so lots of manipulation is eliminated.

Chicoro

I've been sleeping on the job and my Spidey Shea butter senses slipped just ever so slightly. This Youtuber is named Yaa Yaa. It almost slipped past me. Then, I caught myself, did some digging and confirmed that YES, she's a Shea butter use.

I knew it!!!!!

Here is her hair straightened:

Here is here is the video of her using Shea butter:

yamilee21

Maybe a little off-topic but… I stumbled onto the Instagram account of the anti-butter/anti-oil ladies, and I am so curious to see before/after pictures of a long-term, long-haired shea user who has stopped using butters and oils for at least a year. Their Instagram has pictures where almost everyone has very similar wash & go styles (regardless of texture), and very few pictures that seem to be of really long hair.

I cannot imagine *not* using butters and oils. For years, I would find styling products, they would get discontinued, and I would have to find something new. Once I found shea and the rest, I was able to make my own styling products… been doing this for maybe 13-14 years now. My kids have easy to care for hair in great condition, and mine is in fairly good shape, despite stress, illness and aging (e.g., perimenopause). We’ve had some months here and there when we ran out of shea, etc., but we always go back to it, because our hair is better with butters and oils.

Last edited:

Chicoro

My Spidey senses are tingling.

The MOMENT I saw her thumbnail, I KNEW she used Shea butter. The proof came @6 minutes and 13 seconds.

Her recipe in the description box from another one of her videos:

Recipe: 1 cup Shea butter 1/2 cup cacao butter 1 cup coconut oil 1/4 cup olive oil 1/3 cup sweet almond oil

Last edited:

Chicoro

I'm going to have to log off of YouTube for a while. My Spidey senses are tingling to the point of distraction and being overwhelmed. These Shea butter heads of hair are coming from everywhere. "I see Shea heads," Chicoro starring in the Sixth Sense.

It's just too much.

naturaldoll

Maybe a little off-topic but… I stumbled onto the Instagram account of the anti-butter/anti-oil ladies, and I am so curious to see before/after pictures of a long-term, long-haired shea user who has stopped using butters and oils for at least a year. Their Instagram has pictures where almost everyone has very similar wash & go styles (regardless of texture), and very few pictures that seem to be of really long hair.

I cannot imagine *not* using butters and oils. For years, I would find styling products, they would get discontinued, and I would have to find something new. Once I found shea and the rest, I was able to make my own styling products… been doing this for maybe 13-14 years now. My kids have easy to care for hair in great condition, and mine is in fairly good shape, despite stress, illness and aging (e.g., perimenopause). We’ve had some months here and there when we ran out of shea, etc., but we always go back to it, because our hair is better with butters and oils.
Honestly I've never anyone doing the no butter no oil method with hair I'd actually want. I was once booted out of a Facebook group because all of the members were super into it, and kept linking to these 2 stylists that supposedly came up with the idea, and I pointed out that neither of them had particularly nice looking hair, and that this no oil thing could be a scam to make their customers hair so unmanageable that they no choice but to run to the beauty shop.

That didn't go over well

yamilee21

Honestly I've never anyone doing the no butter no oil method with hair I'd actually want. I was once booted out of a Facebook group because all of the members were super into it, and kept linking to these 2 stylists that supposedly came up with the idea, and I pointed out that neither of them had particularly nice looking hair, and that this no oil thing could be a scam to make their customers hair so unmanageable that they no choice but to run to the beauty shop.

That didn't go over well
That’s what I keep thinking too… on their page, I only saw maybe 2 pictures of hair that looked noteworthy; everything else looked unremarkable at best. Meanwhile, Spidey-sense @Chicoro finds channel after channel of gorgeous, versatile hair, all with shea butter use in common. I need better evidence from the no-butter team.

Chicoro

That’s what I keep thinking too… on their page, I only saw maybe 2 pictures of hair that looked noteworthy; everything else looked unremarkable at best. Meanwhile, Spidey-sense @Chicoro finds channel after channel of gorgeous, versatile hair, all with shea butter use in common. I need better evidence from the no-butter team.