Shea butter...

anherica

To Anherica or anyone who knows- is it ok to use pure aloe vera juice (the kind you get in the pharmacy part of the store)? It is very watery-like.

TIA

I haven't tried the juice myself, but I've read where other people have had trouble with it separating in their mixtures.

nitavcc I'm glad it worked out for you! :yep:

baddison

natural for good
:grin:

... I think I am on the brink of making my own hair butter...

Luv you guys soo much!

Ditto. I just made a really great recipe for my own moisturizer...mmmmm..:lick:...just looking at it on paper makes me can't wait to see what it does for my hair. I think this will be my staple moisturizer especially for my Bun For Growth challenge. I'll be bunning with my own concoction daily....yahoo....:yep:

tgrowe

Me luv some shea butter. I mixed melted shea butter along with oils in my Pantene R&N Deep Conditioning Mask and my hair feels oh so like butta every time. Absolutley love the mix

betty-boo

I put what I'm going to use in a dry plastic container with a lid on it. Then I put the container in a large bowl with very hot water and leave it until the water cools. As long as the container has a tight seal, I just put something across the top to keep it from floating around too much. The shea butter is usually soft and pliable by this time and the perfect consistency for mixing once I add the oils. You can also melt it completely, like Misshairdiva described. I don't melt mine, because I couldn't get the temp correct, and never thought about using the oven. (good idea!) I read a recipe where softened shea was used instead of melted, and that's been working for me and I haven't experienced graininess thus far.

Anherica this is a great idea! this is what I'll do with mine. But once it has cooled though, does it become hard and solid again, or is it smooth and very soft like butter to apply to hair? Or do you still have to warm it up between your hands before applying?

Sorry for all the questions, just want to get this correct!

anherica

Anherica this is a great idea! this is what I'll do with mine. But once it has cooled though, does it become hard and solid again, or is it smooth and very soft like butter to apply to hair? Or do you still have to warm it up between your hands before applying?

Sorry for all the questions, just want to get this correct!

Once you've mixed it with the oils, and let it cool it will be a softer consistency than what you started with. About the consistency of cake frosting-I add my oils and aloe vera gel until I get this consistency. You will still have to warm it between you hands, but it's a much easier to apply than it would be if you just used shea butter by itself.

betty-boo

Oh thanks so much Anherica! This is very good to know. I'm going to try this. I now have a trial size of 100g of shea butter at home and your advice has been invaluable!
:kiss:

blue_flower

I don't like using shea butter. It's too thick and it doesn't spread easily. It's like it just coats and weighs my hair down. I don't have time mix it and whip it up with other stuff. I also don't like the way it smells. I just stick to my avocado and aloe butter.

betty-boo

I'm glad I could help Betty-Boo! I hope it works out and you like it as much as I do.:yep:

Anherica, I tried it last night and it worked!!!!!!:pepper:

I am SO happy right now. :sunshine: I cannot thank you enough. It is just the consistency I would like - so soft and spreadable, and much easier to work with.

This is going to stay with me forever!

:bighug:

Betty-boo

nitavcc

I don't like using shea butter. It's too thick and it doesn't spread easily. It's like it just coats and weighs my hair down. I don't have time mix it and whip it up with other stuff. I also don't like the way it smells. I just stick to my avocado and aloe butter.

I thought the same thing, but I knew that shea butter had to have great moisturizing capabilities for the hair.. That's why this thread was started, to find out how others use it... Its about mixing it with other oils.. Works great!

hairsothick

Black and Magical
I use it to seal my ends and lay my edges down when I'm bunning. I also use it on my face and body. I put it on at night because the smells is soothing when I'm sleeping.

anherica

Anherica, I tried it last night and it worked!!!!!!:pepper:

I am SO happy right now. :sunshine: I cannot thank you enough. It is just the consistency I would like - so soft and spreadable, and much easier to work with.

This is going to stay with me forever!

:bighug:

Betty-boo

:clap: Great!!!! I'm so glad it worked well for you!!