Shea Growth and Retention Regimen 2015

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Is anyone interested?:look:

All you have to do is use pure shea butter or a shea butter blend on your hair at least once a week. Thats it!

I know there is a Oils,Grease,Pomades,Butters,Lotions,Cremes Challenge but this challenge would only be focused on shea butter.

So many long haired naturals use shea butter as their main sealant so we would be doing this challenge to see if shea butter can help us retain the hair that we grow.

Thanks if you want to join

Last edited:

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
I really haven't felt the need to seal my hair. My hair feels and looks very moisturized. Maybe I will once it gets cooler. I use a lot of products that have shea butter but I have never used just straight shea butter on my hair. I keep pure shea butter in the house we use it for our skin. I will be lurking in this thread to see how it works for you.

Last edited:

Bunnyhaslonghair

Ebonics Queen
I'm in! I plan on straightening for Thanksgiving or Christmas so that will be my starting pic. I plan to make it easy on myself by buying products that contain a decent amount of shea butter and using them mostly. I will do my own mixes from time to time to switch it up. My hair loves shea but if I use too much it can coat my hair. So I have to find the right balance.

I just hit APL forreal-forreal so i'm aiming for BSL by March :O.

Last edited:

beauti

Napp how can I pass this up after seeing that fotki you posted?? :nono: maybe my hair will grow to butt length with this :cool2:

I've got a thing of shea butter sitting around. Can everyone please post their shea butter recipes? I don't have one

PlainJane

I would join. I'm already doing something similar to her regimen by adding water and conditioner then sealing with grease. I've never tried shea butter, I know I know, but if it acts as a heavy sealant then I'm sure it's healthier than the grease I'm using now.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Napp how can I pass this up after seeing that fotki you posted?? :nono: maybe my hair will grow to butt length with this :cool2:

I've got a thing of shea butter sitting around. Can everyone please post their shea butter recipes? I don't have one

beauti it actually seemed like no one wanted to join. i thought i was gonna have to do it myself!

I currently am using Kuza shea butter in mango tango. its is nice and creamy and smells great. i bought it at a bss because im not in to mixing and whipping product. perhaps someone might give u a good recipe

Bibliophile

Hair toy Aficionado
I'm in too. Will use the following:
Nubian Heritage infused sheabutter
butters-n-bars scented sheabutter
Tropic Isle JBCO Hair Food (sheabutter based)
El Shaddai sheabutter (from LHCF member empressri)

Sent from my SGH-T599N using LHCF

bebezazueta

Sign me up! I dusted off my HQ Systems 5 day moisture which is mostly Shea.

Applying it to my transitioning hair now.

beauti

I'm gonna use naptural85's mix:

-Unrefined Shea Butter at Room Temperature
-About 1 Tbsp Coconut Oil
-About 1 tsp Olive Oil
-About 1 tsp Castor Oil
-About 1 Tbsp Jojoba Oil
-About 1/2 tsp Vitamin E

AnjelLuvs

-About 1 tsp Olive Oil
-About 1 tsp Castor Oil
-About 1 Tbsp Jojoba Oil
-About 1/2 tsp Vitamin E

I have the same type mix, only difference is no real measurements taken just like a couple of drops here and there for each oil...

I plan to do mostly twist on co/washed hair n retwists, until midst of winter when I will flat-iron I will make sure to keep track if that's possible...
:yep:

lenu80

Add me to the list. I usually just mix shea, Virgin coconut oil, jojoba and rice bran oil (high in vitamin e).

beauti

when is the official start date? I will use my shea moisture blend to moisturize my wash and go before applying my gel

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I'll join. I started using Shea Butter mixed with various oils this year along with Eco Styler Olive Oil Gel. My main hair style is the wash n go. I'm hoping I can retain length this time around.

Last edited:

Firstborn2

Stop frontin, you know me!

-About 1 tsp Olive Oil
-About 1 tsp Castor Oil
-About 1 Tbsp Jojoba Oil
-About 1/2 tsp Vitamin E

I'm just now seeing this, I'm all in I have a tub of shea butter I need to mix. I usually add Castor oil and olive oil to my mixture but I want to try this one out. Napp, when does the challenge begin?

Last edited:

PlainJane

I bought some shea butter today and just used it so if my hair feels fine by the morning I'll use it to replace my beloved blue magic.

Dilettante

I'm in as well. I never gave shea butter a fair try since I have fine hair and everyone always says to go for lighter oils if your hair is fine.

I'm using a shea butter mix from SheaMoisture's baby eczema cure line, because that's what I have. Once I finish that I'll make my own shea butter mix.

Where do you ladies buy yours from? I'm looking for high quality and unrefined, but haven't done any research yet.

Firstborn2

Stop frontin, you know me!
I'm in as well. I never gave shea butter a fair try since I have fine hair and everyone always says to go for lighter oils if your hair is fine.

I'm using a shea butter mix from SheaMoisture's baby eczema cure line, because that's what I have. Once I finish that I'll make my own shea butter mix.

Where do you ladies buy yours from? I'm looking for high quality and unrefined, but haven't done any research yet.

I get mine from here
http://www.butters-n-bars.com/unrefined-sheabutter-half.html

ThatJerseyGirl

I recently made my own shea potion. The ingredients are as follows:

Unrefined shea butter
Mango butter
Vatika Coconut oil - it has yummy indian herbs in it. I love this stuff
Brahmi Amla oil - ordered off Amazon and had a bottle of it.
Aloe vera gel - the organic kind. I used a dollop.
Glycerin - you can get a bottle at Vitamin shop or GNC
Jamaican black Castor oil
Natural Oasis Honey Creme Liquid Balm - had some around the house and used it because it has honey as well as other yummy ingredients as well as preservatives

I whipped using a blender. Well first, I melted the butter and added all of the ingredients. I did not use specific measurements. Im ole school, so I poured all of the oils to my taste. I was heavy handed.

I let it sit in the fridge for 10 minutes and kept on blending until it was whipped. It looks yummy. I almost grabbed a cracker and dipped it! Lololol!

The result? It came out like cake batter and I love it. My hair loves it. I even oil my scalp with it since shea absorbs the skin well.

This is my shea growth blend. I love how it feels on my hair and because of the Brahmi and Vatika, I massage my scalp with it for at least 5-10 minutes with a hand held massager. Im lazy like that but it feels so good on my head. It puts me to sleep!

Natural-K

I'm in too. I revamped my regimen which includes shea butter a month ago so this is right on time.

I use Naptural85 creamy leave in.

prettybyrd

I'm going to lurk this thread because I always join challenges and then forget about them. I use Alikay Naturals Moisture Rich Hair Parfait now, but I'm interested in your forumlations and to see how we all retain with the shea butter.

bebezazueta

WHY didn't I use SB years ago?! I sealed with it on Monday and did a slight touch up on Thursday! Hair is still moist and the air is cooler and dryer here now. Breakage is very minimal on my 14 month transitioning hair! YES!

Afroditeee

I am joining. I love Shea butter, only discovered it a few months ago but its really good for sealing/ preventing frizz

amii

Hey! I'd like to join. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can do this in protective styles? Does anyone put Shea on their scalps or know of a company that makes a spray-able(mixed with other oils) versions?
I'm planning on redoing my crochet braids till spring.