Shea Growth And Retention Regimen 2018

Has Shea Butter 'got you'?

• Let me look over my investment portfolio and see if I have room for shea related stocks.

Votes: 21 12.8%
  • I've got 8 pounds in the house, I need to order me some more because I don't want to run out.

Votes: 29 17.7%
  • 1 Day without sealing my ends is just unthinkable.

Votes: 12 7.3%
  • It works for me for now.

Votes: 45 27.4%
  • Nah, I can take it or leave it.

Votes: 12 7.3%
  • Meh, I'm here for the posts.

Votes: 28 17.1%
  • That stuff just weighs down my hair. No thanks!

Votes: 17 10.4%

• Total voters

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
A combination of both. I've been working on my technique for about 6 months and adding Shea in to each process a little at a time. Once I included Shea in each step is when the process came full circle and the results were amazing! Hope that makes sense.

YES! Now, I understand. Was your shampoo bar made with Shea as well?

GGsKin

When you used it with your Shea mix, did the Shea consume the scent so it was barely detectable? Or, can you smell the vanilla really well in your Shea mix?

Ok, I'm adding another fragrance to this batch but at the moment it only has the Shea (3 different vendors), oils, herbs, and vanilla bean scent.

I added 3ml of the vanilla scent in total (.5ml at a time) and whisked. In the bowl, I can smell the dominant Shea with vanilla undertones. 2018-03-18_16.24.54.jpg 2018-03-18_16.29.58.jpg

However, when I rub the butter on my skin I get vanilla scent, really well. The vanilla works great with the natural scent of these Shea butters but it is misleading in the bowl. If I hadn't tried it on my skin, I would've thought the Shea was dominant, and added more (unnecessarily). I continued by adding two drops of rosemary and lavender essential oils. I also added 2ml of pink kisses fragrance oil. The overall scent is light and sweet. This batch filled a 500ml jar.2018-03-18_18.02.03.jpg

Chicoro

Ok, I'm adding another fragrance to this batch but at the moment it only has the Shea (3 different vendors), oils, herbs, and vanilla bean scent.

I added 3ml of the vanilla scent in total (.5ml at a time) and whisked. In the bowl, I can smell the dominant Shea with vanilla undertones. View attachment 426720 View attachment 426722

However, when I rub the butter on my skin I get vanilla scent, really well. The vanilla works great with the natural scent of these Shea butters but it is misleading in the bowl. If I hadn't tried it on my skin, I would've thought the Shea was dominant, and added more (unnecessarily). I continued by adding two drops of rosemary and lavender essential oils. I also added 2ml of pink kisses fragrance oil. The overall scent is light and sweet. This batch filled a 500ml jar.View attachment 426724

Thank you for this detail! This is exactly what @ElevatedEnergy stated above: put on your skin to test the scent. I appreciate you reporting back, too!

My favorite scents are lemon cake batter and I just adore french vanilla. Does your brand of scents ship to France? I'm having some challenges finding sites I trust. Ideally, I'd love to be able to get it off of Amazon.fr. They rarely have products that I am seeking out, though.

GGsKin

Thank you for this detail! This is exactly what @ElevatedEnergy stated above: put on your skin to test the scent. I appreciate you reporting back, too!

My favorite scents are lemon cake batter and I just adore french vanilla. Does your brand of scents ship to France? I'm having some challenges finding sites I trust. Ideally, I'd love to be able to get it off of Amazon.fr. They rarely have products that I am seeking out, though.

You're welcome @Chicoro. If it wasn't for someone on this board, I wouldn't have found the gracefruit site when I did. I ordered the fragrance sampler set, as well as a few other things and I will order more oils from there. They do ship to mainland Europe. Not sure of the costs but you should be in luck if you decide to order.

Last edited:

Chicoro

Shea Made Unicorn Statistics: Average - 2 Per Month
(Dec 2017 to March 2018 over 3.5 Months)

Limitations of Statistical Data 1:Lurkers may be getting great results.
Limitations of Statistical Data 2: People who don't post photos may be getting results.
Limitations of Statistical Data 3: Decisions are photo-based which greatly limits Unicorn pool.

@caribeandiva - Dec 2017 to Jan 2018 ~ 1 inch of retained hair
@lalla - January 20th, 2018 ~ New avatar 'outted' her as a Shea-made hair unicorn. (Snatched waist-extra points)
@ElevatedEnergy - January 10th, 2018~ Post # 2201 'outted' her as a Shea-made hair unicorn. (16 year old body after 4 babies-extra points)
@AbsyBlvd -February 24th, 2018~ Elegant Shea Made Updo identified her as a Shea-made unicorn.~ Post # 2543 'outted' her as a Shea-made hair unicorn.
@sgold04 - March 6th, 2018 ~ Post #2794 'outted' her as a Shea-made hair unicorn. Her colored hair is long, healthy and full.
@ArrrBeee - March 16th, 2018 ~ #2990 'outted' her as a Shea-made hair unicorn. She has made a tremendous shift as it relates to caring for her hair. She totally changed the way she thinks about and how she treats her precious afro-textured hair.

Currently six (6) Shea Made Hair Unicorns are in the Herd...And growing!

Last edited:

Chicoro

I've taken my braids down and have bantu knots. I'll re-braid my hair prior to washing. I think I'll wash my hair tomorrow in the early evening. I'll be making a coconut conditioner with a nice generous dollop of whipped Shea butter. I haven't decided if I'll do a pre-poo or not, yet!

Chicoro

I just wrote the 3000th post a couple of days of ago.
Already we are at post #3,100. But I'm not complaining. :nicethread:

This thread is moving fast. :roadrunner:

It doesn't hurt that I write about 20 posts a day, myself. :giggle:

Okay, I unwound my bantu knots. Each month, more of the hair in the back, when pulled over my shoulders from the back, is actually touching the top of my thighs. :shocked: It's only March. Like @lalla mentioned in another thread, we got a whole a lot of time :timer:, as in 9 more months to GROW! :rocker:

I have NEVER, NEVER, NEVER had hair this long before. It's the Shea. :pray: Please continue to work for me, Queen Shea. I'm on a budget, but I will always find money to shop :shopping:and stay stocked in unrefined Shea butter.

I got about 8 pounds in my stash as we speak. :happydance: But that's mere peanuts compared to ya'll with your 10, 25, 40 and 50 pounds in your respective stashes. It's not nice to compare, though, right?!

Well, let me get to some household :laundry: chores.

GO!

QUEEN SHEA

:thewave:

This is post #20 in this thread for me today! :toocool:

Night, night ya'll. Have a great week!I

Last edited:

FadingDelilah

I think I understand! Are you experiencing and document in route to try to determine whether or not Shea works, and how best to apply it for your hair?

I will definitely keep note of what works and what doesn't. But my first impression was based on the way my twists looked and felt. I just took them down and my hair is actually SOOO SOFT! I was in shock! It has never felt that soft. When my hair dries in twists, after sleeping on them they feel crispy and rough for some reason :( so I thought the shea butter wasn't adding much softness. But once I felt my hair while it was out, I was like:

It feels amazing! I officially love shea butter on my hair! It would be nice if my twists felt softer after sleep but I never wear them out in public so its okay. I also judged the color of my hair based on this one bathroom in my house with lighting that makes everything look ashy so thats why I thought my hair looked dull. I don't go in there often so the fact that it does that had slipped my mind. :lachen:

Anyways, I'm so glad I finally have soft hair :2inlove: and I learned how to flat twist today so I have an easy, quick solution to how I can style my hair after I wash it now. No more three-four house mini twist sessions. Today is a good hair day in history for me... even though my flat twists still look horrible, lol. Now I'll stop talking so much, I promise. :rolleyes:

Edit: I keep watching this video every time someone likes my comment and I go to check the alert. I've laughed hysterically all nine+ times that I watched it. :lachen:Something is honestly wrong with me. :oops:

Last edited:

Chicoro

I will definitely keep note of what works and what doesn't. But my first impression was based on the way my twists looked and felt. I just took them down and my hair is actually SOOO SOFT! I was in shock! It has never felt that soft. When my hair dries in twists, after sleeping on them they feel crispy and rough for some reason :( so I thought the shea butter wasn't adding much softness. But once I felt my hair while it out, I like:

It feels amazing! I officially love she butter on my hair! It would be nice if my twists felt softer after sleep but I never wear them out in public so its okay. I also judged the color of my hair based on this one bathroom in my house with lighting that makes everything look ashy so thats why I thought my hair looked dull. I don't go in there often so the fact that it does that had slipped my mind. :lachen:

Anyways, I'm so glad I finally have soft hair :2inlove: and I learned how to flat twist today so I have an easy, quick solution to how I can style my hair after I wash it now. No more three-four house mini twist sessions. Today is a good hair day in history for me... even though my flat twists still look horrible, lol. Now I'll stop talking so much, I promise. :rolleyes:

Congratulations!!

Queen Shea scores again!

Last edited:

GGsKin

@AbsyBlvd , your mix looks so thick, rich, dense and creamy! How long does that batch you made last? Do you use it exclusively for your hair? Or, do you use it for your skin, too?

I've made 3 batches using different techniques each time. This one is the airiest of my mixes.

This is the largest batch I've made. The two previous times, I made 8oz/ 227ml batches. The first lasted about 8 weeks. I'm about a third of the way through my second batch now (but I added a little more Shea and oils when I mixed with a beater for the second time because it was too hard).

Really I make it for my hair but I will use any excess on my body. Rarely, I use it to seal in my lotion if I'm feeling extra.

Last edited:

Chicoro

Yes, I always include Shea butter in my bars due to the high amount of unsaponifiables. This will ensure that a small deposit will be left behind upon rinsing. It also helps to keep the bar hard and long lasting. Shea butter is everything!

I'm going to be 'ghetto' and just add some Shea butter mix to my shampoo during wash :bath:time. The last time I delved into soap making, I ended up with a 10 pound bar. :eek: :confused: So, I'm going to use what I have in the house. I never thought to do this until now.

It seems I'm just a copy cat when it comes to your processes. :giggle:

Chicoro

Shea Butter Can Help Save the Hair of an Incapacitated, Bedridden, Loved One

I have a family member who was not necessarily hospital or bed bound, but she was unable to get to the shop to get her hair done due to health issues. In fact, she wasn't able to get to her hair for 8 months. She felt really bad and I told her not to focus on that. Any type of distractions like this is a form of stress that can interfere with or adversely impacts someone's healing process. Thus, for some of us, hair is tremendously importantly to us, even during some forms of illness.

What she did do was use Shea butter in her hair, that was mixed with vitamin e and castor oil. The anti-fungal properties, which are the non-saponifiables of Shea butter, specifically the triterpenes of Shea butter, prevented any odors from arising from the scalp and kept her scalp clean.

If this were to befall her again, or someone else I know, I would recommend a two-step process: Scurl first, then apply Shea butter daily.

There will be repercussions to not grooming the hair for this period of time, of course. That is because the shed hair will remain in the confines of any braids, ponytails or twists that one may have during the illness. Thus, there will be matted hair and tangles.

Once the person is ready to wash the hair, have them pre-poo with glycerin and oil to loosen up the shed hair and help lubricate the strands. Never put water, shampoo and conditioner on month old or older, matted hair.

I have learned from experience that matted hair can be saved. I helped saved relaxed hair with Scurl and now natural hair with Shea butter.

If you have a bedridden loved one, even if the person is male, consider a little Shea butter in their hair. It may comfort them in more ways than we will ever know.

When she was able to get her strength and go to the shop, the person who did her hair stated that it had grown and had gotten longer! :clapping:

reallynow

Just popped in to say I love this thread and I've been lurking. I was anti-shea (for my hair) for years. My mother is a mixtress and made me a sheabutter mix for Christmas. I finally got the jar out about a month ago because of you ladies. I wasn't sure how I was going to use it. I'm transitioning so I wear twist outs, washing and retwisting weekly.

First shea wash - I was using shea butter daily to fluff my twist out. The day before I washed my twist out was on it's laaassstttt leg. I slathered it with shea and pulled it into a ponytail. The next day I didn't have time to prepoo. My hair is easy to tangle so prepooing helps me detangle and section for washing. Let me say - my hair hates sulfate shampoo so I usually use a shampoo bar, diluted shampoo, sulfate free or cowash. Well, I was rushing and grabbed the wrong bottle, a sulfate shampoo. I was shook because I hadn't diluted this bottle yet. First section couldn't be saved, so I thought. Before I put in a cheapie conditioner to try to detangle I started finger detangling and ladiesssssssssssssssssssss. The tangles and knots were easy to get out and I was able to mostly finger detangle that section. Was it the shea slide??? I wasn't convinced yet because the shampoo I grabbed was "natural" so I thought it could be the poo.

Second and Third shea washes were basically the same. No prepoo, just a slathered sheabutter ponytail. The shea coupled with diluted shampoo or my shampoo bar and I can literally finger detangle with ease and I've never been about that life. It's the sheabutter!!!

I'm not a mixtress so I've placed a order with my Mamma for some more sheabutter for my hair. She doesn't remember what she put in this batch but it's almost gone so...:look:

I may order a pail, just in case. :spinning:

Aggie

I've made 3 batches using different techniques each time. This one is the airiest of my mixes.

This is the largest batch I've made. The two previous times, I made 8oz/ 227ml batches. The first lasted about 8 weeks. I'm about a third of the way through my second batch now (but I added a little more Shea and oils when I mixed with a beater for the second time because it was too hard).

Really I make it for my hair but I will use any excess on my body. Rarely, I use it to seal in my lotion if I'm feeling extra.

I guess I'm always feeling extra then, because I use Queen Shea on my body all the time :lol:. I so :love: love how it makes my skin looks.