Shea Growth And Retention Regimen 2018

Has Shea Butter 'got you'?

• Let me look over my investment portfolio and see if I have room for shea related stocks.

Votes: 21 12.8%
  • I've got 8 pounds in the house, I need to order me some more because I don't want to run out.

Votes: 29 17.7%
  • 1 Day without sealing my ends is just unthinkable.

Votes: 12 7.3%
  • It works for me for now.

Votes: 45 27.4%
  • Nah, I can take it or leave it.

Votes: 12 7.3%
  • Meh, I'm here for the posts.

Votes: 28 17.1%
  • That stuff just weighs down my hair. No thanks!

Votes: 17 10.4%

• Total voters

Daina

Tips on mixing your Shea butter if you have a standing mixer:

Mix dry first with no oils on low. Scrape the butter off the sides of the mixer and pile the butter to the middle of the bowl. I usually do this for a few rounds.

View attachment 427086

I put the oils I plan on adding into a squirt/applicator bottle and just squeeze the oil into the bowl a little at a time while the blender is mixing. Speed it up to medium.

This is how I know when the Shea mix is ready:
With each round I lift the mixer to scrape off butter, less butter clings on to the whip attachment.

It goes from this:
View attachment 427088

To this:

View attachment 427090

To this:

View attachment 427092

See how the butter is moving away from the whip attachment on its own? This is the point where I add my fragrance oils and I turn the blender up to the highest speed. I cover the bowl with saran wrap and let the butter rest for a few days to allow the fragrance to "cure" or settle in.

View attachment 427094

Test on my hands. If I feel any lumps still mixed in Shea, I re-whip on high for a few minutes. If the fragrance is not as strong as I'd like, I add a few extra drops and re-whip again.

Ssshhhhh! My Shea baby is resting for the night. She needs to adjust to the lovely fenugreek infused avocado and apricot oil that I added to her. I will test her later to see if she is whipped enough to become a Princess. If her fragrance is settled in and good, she will then be added to the throne to become Queen Shea. :lachen:Good night Shea siblings. :2inlove:

This is awesome information, especially about the resting phase to let the fragrance settle! Thanks for sharing as I am making a new batch tomorrow as I am suddenly all out. I suspect my last 4 oz jar from my previous batch somehow found it's way to my husband's toiletries bag when he left for his trip earlier this week!

Daina

OMG.....red velvet cake .....from scratch?!?!.....let's do this lololol...

I will have to add some candied yams, potato salad and home made banana pudding....the real kind. With the meringue! Not that instant box pudding thrown on top of some vanilla wafers (I use Nabisco wafers lolol) and bananas with whip cream....,smh

That's how my grandmother made her banana pudding as well!

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
This is awesome information, especially about the resting phase to let the fragrance settle! Thanks for sharing as I am making a new batch tomorrow as I am suddenly all out. I suspect my last 4 oz jar from my previous batch somehow found it's way to my husband's toiletries bag when he left for his trip earlier this week!

That is so sweet. Shea got your man stealing. :giggle:

Last edited:

Chicoro

Can't remember the post in the thread, but in post #1, under the "Discoveries" I added the information, @ElevatedEnergy provided, that explains the exact process and the number of drops needed for fragrances. It also addresses in some detail the curing process.

Chicoro

OMG.....red velvet cake .....from scratch?!?!.....let's do this lololol...

I will have to add some candied yams, potato salad and home made banana pudding....the real kind. With the meringue! Not that instant box pudding thrown on top of some vanilla wafers (I use Nabisco wafers lolol) and bananas with whip cream....,smh

Can you add some green beans and a pan of homemade macaroni and cheese, please?

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal

Mix dry first with no oils on low. Scrape the butter off the sides of the mixer and pile the butter to the middle of the bowl. I usually do this for a few rounds.

View attachment 427086

I put the oils I plan on adding into a squirt/applicator bottle and just squeeze the oil into the bowl a little at a time while the blender is mixing. Speed it up to medium.

With each round I lift the mixer to scrape off butter, less butter clings on to the whip attachment.

It goes from this:
View attachment 427088

To this:

View attachment 427090

To this:

View attachment 427092

See how the butter is moving away from the whip attachment on its own? This is the point where I add my fragrance oils and I turn the blender up to the highest speed. I cover the bowl with saran wrap and let the butter rest for a few days to allow the fragrance to "cure" or settle in.

View attachment 427094

Test on my hands. If I feel any lumps still mixed in Shea, I re-whip on high for a few minutes. If the fragrance is not as strong as I'd like, I add a few extra drops and re-whip again.

Ssshhhhh! My Shea baby is resting for the night. She needs to adjust to the lovely fenugreek infused avocado and apricot oil that I added to her. I will test her later to see if she is whipped enough to become a Princess. If her fragrance is settled in and good, she will then be added to the throne to become Queen Shea. :lachen:Good night Shea siblings. :2inlove:

That is VERY helpful. I bought a hand mixer when I should have purchased a spare whip for my Kitchen Aid.

Chicoro

Sweet?!?!?! :eek: As our Queen, I respectfully ask that you declare, “Off with his Shea moisturized head!” We cannot continue to condone stealing by our males in Sheakanda. :giggle:

The Shea effect got these men out here breaking laws. :lachen:

I have spoken...but maybe...

Naw, @Daina 's man, he just needs a bit of training. I believe he's teachable. :grin:

Last edited:

Jade Feria

Your shea mix looks so fluffy!!! How long will that batch last you?
Did you mean to respond to @ElevatedEnergy's post?

Either way... the last batch I made like this was 16 oz on Feb 7, and I'm still working on it. I did re-whip it a few days ago when it was halfway through, and combined it with some other leftover Shea mix, so it will be a while before I'm out, maybe another couple of months.

jennex

View attachment 427086

It goes from this:
View attachment 427088

To this:

View attachment 427090

To this:

View attachment 427092

View attachment 427094

:urock:This is super helpful! Thank you for sharing this with us!

Chicoro

Did you mean to respond to @ElevatedEnergy's post?

Either way... the last batch I made like this was 16 oz on Feb 7, and I'm still working on it. I did re-whip it a few days ago when it was halfway through, and combined it with some other leftover Shea mix, so it will be a while before I'm out, maybe another couple of months.

I'm still tickled :lachen::lachen::lachen:by the photo you took through the window of your car, of you staked out in front of that store with the Shea butter piled up against the store front window, on shelves...waiting ...in a no park zone, until after the Muslim owner finished his prayers...so you could swoop in for your Shea.

:funny:

It's POST #1519 of this very thread!

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Your shea mix looks so fluffy!!! How long will that batch last you?

@ThatJerseyGirl Thanks Sis! This particular batch was not for me, and was alot more than what I would make for myself.

I usually make around 8 ounces for my personal use but it doesn't last long because I use it daily on my skin and usually 2-3 times between wash day sessions on my hair. So maybe 3 weeks to a month?

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing

My husband stay stealing my Shea butter. I have learned to make him his own batches but just scent them with masculine fragrances. LOL

Jade Feria

I'm still tickled :lachen::lachen::lachen:by the photo you took through the window of your car, of you staked out in front of that store with the Shea butter piled up against the store front window, on shelves...waiting ...in a no park zone, until after the Muslim owner finished his prayers...so you could swoop in for your Shea.

:funny:

It's POST #1519 of this very thread!
:lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: The things we do for the love of Shea!
Those standing mixers are some lil powerful boogers huh?! My Shea mixes have become some fluffy, light and airy masterpieces. I :2inlove: it!
They really are, I love it!

ArrrBeee

@Chicoro

Do you have any plans to come back to the states?

With all this talk of food, I think the Shea siblings need to have a family reunion somewhere down south. We can meet, eat, and marvel at each other's hair.

I'm about to prepoo with aloe vera juice and Shea. I found some Rosehip and Hibiscus tea at Homegoods. Mixed that with Amla, Brahmi, and something else, and black tea. Strained it and I'll put it on between poo and deep condish. I am loving this routine of making and taking time to care for my hair. It brings me joy.

Chicoro

@Chicoro

Do you have any plans to come back to the states?

With all this talk of food, I think the Shea siblings need to have a family reunion somewhere down south. We can meet, eat, and marvel at each other's hair.

I'm about to prepoo with aloe vera juice and Shea. I found some Rosehip and Hibiscus tea at Homegoods. Mixed that with Amla, Brahmi, and something else, and black tea. Strained it and I'll put it on between poo and deep condish. I am loving this routine of making and taking time to care for my hair. It brings me joy.

I love the bolded! Good for you.

I try to get back to the States 1x per year. I stay anywhere from 2 weeks to 1 month. I usually land in California, then I tend to make my rounds. This Fall, I might be headed through New Orleans, New Jersey and then parts of Georgia and Alabama. There are lots of variables that have to be considered and aligned.

I'm not big on planning events for groups of people. But you know what they say:

I gained about 12 pounds last summer. I'm not doing that again. I'm JUST now getting that weight off. So as long as there is space for my Cheese Popcorn from Piggly Wiggly, I am quite open to suggestions and invitations!

This would be before the Shea Made Hair Unicorn Extravaganza, in December, right?

Last edited:

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
My hair was so soft after using my Shea butter and oil (olive, coconut, castor, grapeseed) mix microwaved and then hardened into a really creamy texture. I used just glycerine and water spray, with a little APB Cupuacu Avocado and sealed with the Shea butter/oil mix. Hair was so soft for days.

sunnieb

Ordered some Shea butter on Amazon this morning. Then went to CVS and noticed they had some so I bought that too. :look:

My first batch may have been a waste, but it did show me how easy it is to make.

I'll whip up another batch tomorrow. I even told my mom I'll give her a container of it. Her fro will love it!

ArrrBeee

I love the bolded! Good for you.

I try to get back to the States 1x per year. I stay anywhere from 2 weeks to 1 month. I usually land in California, then I tend to make my rounds. This Fall, I might be headed through New Orleans, New Jersey and then parts of Georgia and Alabama. There are lots of variables that have to be considered and aligned.

I'm not big on planning events for groups of people. But you know what they say:

I gained about 12 pounds last summer. I'm not doing that again. I'm JUST now getting that weight off. So as long as there is space for my Cheese Popcorn from Piggly Wiggly, I am quite open to suggestions and invitations!

This would be before the Shea Made Hair Unicorn Extravaganza, in December, right?

What is the Shea Made Hair Unicorn Extravaganza? And where do you find these crazy gifs?

Chicoro

What is the Shea Made Hair Unicorn Extravaganza? And where do you find these crazy gifs?

It's our [symbolic] end of year celebration. I put it in post #1 of this thread. You may want to take a look. That post has the list of the Shea-Made Hair Unicorns, and all of our Shea Discoveries, thus far.

Girl, don't be talking about my gifs! :look: I think of an idea I want, then I'll put it in google and put the word 'gif' behind it. If it fits what I want, I use it.