Shea Growth And Retention Regimen 2018

Has Shea Butter 'got you'?

• Let me look over my investment portfolio and see if I have room for shea related stocks.

Votes: 21 12.8%
  • I've got 8 pounds in the house, I need to order me some more because I don't want to run out.

Votes: 29 17.7%
  • 1 Day without sealing my ends is just unthinkable.

Votes: 12 7.3%
  • It works for me for now.

Votes: 45 27.4%
  • Nah, I can take it or leave it.

Votes: 12 7.3%
  • Meh, I'm here for the posts.

Votes: 28 17.1%
  • That stuff just weighs down my hair. No thanks!

Votes: 17 10.4%

• Total voters

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
So all your Mixtresses out there just may find a great cure with the help of Queen Shea.

ArrrBeee

I messed up! I didn't use any of my Ayurvedic products and my hair is tangled. What I did was prepoo with a mix of Shea and some Tresseme and went to bed. Woke up with shedding and tangles. I rinsed my hair out and not sure what to do next.

Help.

Chicoro

I messed up! I didn't use any of my Ayurvedic products and my hair is tangled. What I did was prepoo with a mix of Shea and some Tresseme and went to bed. Woke up with shedding and tangles. I rinsed my hair out and not sure what to do next.

Help.
My suggestion would be to..

Got any glycerin and oil in the house? Mix up 1/4 cup glycerin and 1/2 cup oil. Something runny like olive oil. Do not use castor or wheat germ or sesame as the are too thick. Take your time and section with your fingers and hands. Go from there.

Daina

My suggestion would be to..

Got any glycerin and oil in the house? Mix up 1/4 cup glycerin and 1/2 cup oil. Something runny like olive oil. Do not use castor or wheat germ or sesame as the are too thick. Take your time and section with your fingers and hands. Go from there.

What she said, the glycerin/olive oil combo works wonders! My mother's hair was matted and tangled for months after her stroke and she didn't have the energy or strength to let me do it until a week ago. I tried this combo based on what @Chicoro said in another thread about caring for the hair of sick or elderly and it worked miracles!

Chicoro

What she said, the glycerin/olive oil combo works wonders! My mother's hair was matted and tangled for months after her stroke and she didn't have the energy or strength to let me do it until a week ago. I tried this combo based on what @Chicoro said in another thread about caring for the hair of sick or elderly and it worked miracles!

You are full of all kinds of information and surprises and testimonies. Thank you so much for sharing this. I am glad you were able to use that combination to help your mom feel good and look good by getting the tangles out. I bet she was so relieved and felt so good when you did her hair!

Chicoro

Not Shea butter related but....let me start this way...

How many of ya'll know people that DO NOT have afro-textured hair, who use castor oil in their hair on a regular basis?

Stay with me now....

So, L'oreal has a new line of products for long hair. The product tag line is to reinforce your hair instead of cutting it, so you can have long hair of your dreams. The key ingredients are keratin and CASTOR OIL!

Hmmm....I wonder from whom they got that idea? Oh and guess what? There is NOT ONE SINGLE women with afro-textured hair featured in the campaign marketing that I have seen.

Exhibit A:

"You dreaming of having super long hair? Stop cutting [it] and continue to dream! Dream Long reinforces the hair and repairs the ends, to save [protect] the last 30 centimeters [of hair length.] That's 11 inches for the non metric unit initiated. Dream of even longer hair..."

This product REPAIRS the ends of the hair?

You don't say?!

Really!

Ooooookay! But this is L'Oreal, you might say...Per usual, they need to have a seat.

If they called me to come on site, I would be there before the dial tone clicked off! Grinning while asking, "May I help you?" :giggle:

-------------------------------------------------

My point? African American women lead and drive many many trends. Don't be fooled and distracted by talk that says you aren't desirable, you aren't promotable, you aren't whatever. Value what you bring to the table.

Although it is presented as if what you bring does not count and is ignored, it's not the case. Black women are always 'nailing it' when it comes to trends whether they be related to technology or hair.

--------------------------------------------

'Tis all. Carry on.

Last edited:

ArrrBeee

Good luck. Just take your time.

It worked. Thank you so much. :bighug:

My mistakes were leaving in an untried conditioner overnight, waiting 2 weeks to shampoo my hair, and not using the ayruvedic products.

It could have been much worse. I have to remember a setback is just a set up for a comeback.

I don't know what was more annoying, this or burning the plantain that I had ripening for the past 2 weeks.

Last edited:

GGsKin

Not Shea butter related but....let me start this way...

How many of ya'll know people that DO NOT have afro-textured hair, who use castor oil in their hair on a regular basis?

Stay with me now....

So, L'oreal has a new line of products for long hair. The product tag line is to reinforce your hair instead of cutting it, so you can have long hair of your dreams. The key ingredients are keratin and CASTOR OIL!

Hmmm....I wonder from whom they got that idea? Oh and guess what? There is NOT ONE SINGLE women with afro-textured hair featured in the campaign marketing that I have seen.

Exhibit A:

"You dreaming of having super long hair? Stop cutting [it] and continue to dream! Dream Long reinforces the hair and repairs the ends, to save [protect] the last 30 centimeters [of hair length.] That's 11 inches for the non metric unit initiated. Dream of even longer hair..."

This product REPAIRS the ends of the hair?

You don't say?!

Really!

Ooooookay! But this is L'Oreal, you might say...Per usual, they need to have a seat.

If they called me to come on site, I would be there before the dial tone clicked off! Grinning while asking, "May I help you?" :giggle:

-------------------------------------------------

My point? African American women lead and drive many many trends. Don't be fooled and distracted by talk that says you aren't desirable, you aren't promotable, you aren't whatever. Value what you bring to the table.

Although it is presented as if what you bring does not count and is ignored, it's not the case. Black women are always 'nailing it' when it comes to trends whether they be related to technology or hair.

--------------------------------------------

'Tis all. Carry on.

Too right! @Chicoro. I've been side-eyeing this ad since its been doing the rounds. Just the other day I was having this conversation with some friends and I wondered, since when has castor oil been on their radar? I also mentioned the bolded. I know they stay lurking but wow smh.

LivingInPeace

B6ACC321-5F46-4F08-A126-6F244EFD9288.jpeg So I’ve been slipping and I haven’t used shea butter on my hair in over a week. I got mad because my last batch with cocoa butter ended up with big cocoa butter chunks in it. So today, I melted the cocoa butter and blended it into my unrefined shea butter, olive oil, coconut oil and jasmine fragrance oil. The consistency came out creamier instead of fluffy. It smells delicious!

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
So..... I recently length checked in the shower and I was just reaching WHIP length.... Straightened a little and am back to waist length.... But I'm fine with that because of the constant knotting.

I also decided to get some white shea butter. I made a batch with white, yellow and cocoa butter. I like it for warmer weather and its not as sticky. Going forward I'll play with white shea butter and see how that works. From previous experience I don't care for white but I'm still willing to revisit.

Also, for anyone interested, I've just been using glycerin and water, HBCO/coffee oil, and shea butter. Holds very well and really good moisture.

Daina

You are full of all kinds of information and surprises and testimonies. Thank you so much for sharing this. I am glad you were able to use that combination to help your mom feel good and look good by getting the tangles out. I bet she was so relieved and felt so good when you did her hair!

Well that info was a blessing to me and my mom! My mom is super tender headed and I originally thought I might have to cut her HL hair off and start fresh. I'm a witness that prayer changes things. I had been praying and asking God for a way not to have to cut/shave it and that same week the thread about caring for the hair of someone sick or elderly got bumped up! God had a ram in the bush and He delivered on time. Her hair feels so much better and now I just keep it in twists.

icsonia22

I'm convinced that whipped Shea butter is a must for transitioning hair. Half of my hair is severely heat damaged and a few spots have broken off at the line of demarcation. In those areas, the hair tends to be more tangle prone. The friction from pulling the hair apart causes small knots to form. This issue has been almost entirely eliminated with the regular application of whipped Shea butter. It lubricates my strands enough so that they slide past each other preventing knots from forming.

ArrrBeee

You burned the plantain??!! Oh honey.. I’m so sorry. :cry4:

Thanks. It had gotten to the perfect shade of black. Then I remembered that I didn't have any oil. Remembered that I bought some grapeseed oil for my hair :look:. I've never cooked with it but desperate times called for desperate measures.
It seemed to get hotter than peanut oil and my plantain burned. To make matters worse, I flipped 2 of the pieces out of the pan and they landed on the floor.:lachen:

I'll try again in a few weeks.

caribeandiva

Human being
Thanks. It had gotten to the perfect shade of black. Then I remembered that I didn't have any oil. Remembered that I bought some grapeseed oil for my hair :look:. I've never cooked with it but desperate times called for desperate measures.
It seemed to get hotter than peanut oil and my plantain burned. To make matters worse, I flipped 2 of the pieces out of the pan and they landed on the floor.:lachen:

Gurl save that one for Halloween. That’s the scariest story I’ve read so far this year!!

Aggie

:lachen: That's funny, but yeah, I'm sorry too :yep:.

Chicoro

Well that info was a blessing to me and my mom! My mom is super tender headed and I originally thought I might have to cut her HL hair off and start fresh. I'm a witness that prayer changes things. I had been praying and asking God for a way not to have to cut/shave it and that same week the thread about caring for the hair of someone sick or elderly got bumped up! God had a ram in the bush and He delivered on time. Her hair feels so much better and now I just keep it in twists.

So glad you were able to detangle your mother's matted hair even with her being super tender headed. I've never heard of anyone using it on hip length, afro-textured hair. How much glycerin and oil did you have to use? How long did it take you to get it detangled?

Daina

So glad you were able to detangle your mother's matted hair even with her being super tender headed. I've never heard of anyone using it on hip length, afro-textured hair. How much glycerin and oil did you have to use? How long did it take you to get it detangled?

Her hair was so matted and tangled it looked ear length. I had to use every drop of glycerin I had and still ran short. I had two 16 oz bottles of glycerin and four 8 oz bottles of a special blend of EVOO that I get from my church. I needed all of those and could have used more. It took me 4 hours total. There was a ton of shedding, probably enough to make a full wig and several tracks but overall I was able to retain the majority of her length although I did trim/cut her back to between MBL and WL to give her a clean starting position. My mother's hair grows very fast despite her sickness and medication so she'll be back to HL and beyond in no time.