Shea Growth And Retention Regimen 2018

Has Shea Butter 'got you'?

• Let me look over my investment portfolio and see if I have room for shea related stocks.

Votes: 21 12.8%
  • I've got 8 pounds in the house, I need to order me some more because I don't want to run out.

Votes: 29 17.7%
  • 1 Day without sealing my ends is just unthinkable.

Votes: 12 7.3%
  • It works for me for now.

Votes: 45 27.4%
  • Nah, I can take it or leave it.

Votes: 12 7.3%
  • Meh, I'm here for the posts.

Votes: 28 17.1%
  • That stuff just weighs down my hair. No thanks!

Votes: 17 10.4%

• Total voters

CurlyWhoCrux

Can someone help me get started. This thread has 10000 pages and it's only May.

I'm low porosity and my hair doesn't usually like anything heavy. I have a small jar of whipped Shea butter friend made for me that I can use.

My hair is currently straight and I just trimmed my ends so I think this is a good time to try it out.

Any help would be appreciated. I will read through the thread when I get a chance.

Hi Faith,
I actually am still struggling with just using straight whipped shea on my hair, so I’m still in the stage of using store bought products with Shea as the top ingredient to seal.

Last night I realized that my hair needs to be very damp in order for straight whipped shea to even have a chance of sinking in. And then I have to braid my hair, not twist it. Braiding seems to lay my hair down better and trap product in better.

Even still, in the morning the product still hasn’t absorbed all of the way but over the course of the day it does sink in some and my hair does feel soft.

So I would say spray your hair with your watery moisturizer like you have been doing, and then take a little bit of shea and smoothe it in and then braid up your hair.

faithVA

Hi Faith,
I actually am still struggling with just using straight whipped shea on my hair, so I’m still in the stage of using store bought products with Shea as the top ingredient to seal.

Last night I realized that my hair needs to be very damp in order for straight whipped shea to even have a chance of sinking in. And then I have to braid my hair, not twist it. Braiding seems to lay my hair down better and trap product in better.

Even still, in the morning the product still hasn’t absorbed all of the way but over the course of the day it does sink in some and my hair does feel soft.

So I would say spray your hair with your watery moisturizer like you have been doing, and then take a little bit of shea and smoothe it in and then braid up your hair.
Thank you. It sounds like I need to wait until wash day.

caribeandiva

Human being
Can someone help me get started. This thread has 10000 pages and it's only May.

I'm low porosity and my hair doesn't usually like anything heavy. I have a small jar of whipped Shea butter friend made for me that I can use.

My hair is currently straight and I just trimmed my ends so I think this is a good time to try it out.

Any help would be appreciated. I will read through the thread when I get a chance.
What’s your current hair regimen?

faithVA

What’s your current hair regimen?
Varies a bit depending on whether im coloring my hair. I use mostly mane choice or tgin products.
Shampoo, rinse out or DC, spritz hair heavily wi5h diluted leave in and let it air dry for about an hour.
When damp I spritz with a glycerin spray, apply some type of moisturizer and seal with whatever cream, pomade, butter, etc. I then spritz my ends again and use whatever sealant on the ends.

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
Some of these affect all of society, such as sunscreen etc. Putting this here for awareness. I can't find the original study.

Study finds Ingredients in products used by black women are endocrine disruptors which may account for rising breast cancer in black women. Frightening part: The cancer causing ingredients are often NOT listed on the product ingredient label.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...ck-women-contain-chemicals-linked-cancer.html

Nearly 80% of hair products aimed at black women contain chemicals linked to cancer, infertility and obesity, study finds
  • Up to 78% of relaxers contain hormone-disrupting chemicals called parabens
  • Parabens have been linked to cancer, weight gain and reduced muscle mass
  • Up to 78% also contain phthalates, which extend the products' shelf lives
  • Phthalates are associated with breast and ovarian cancer, and early menopause
  • Black women are thought to use such products to meet social beauty norms

Nearly 80 percent of hair products aimed at black women contain chemicals linked to cancer, infertility and obesity, new research suggests.

Up to 78 percent of relaxers, which are used to permanently straighten hair, contain hormone-disrupting chemicals, known as parabens, a US study found.

Past studies suggest parabens, which are used as preservatives, mimic oestrogen and may cause cancer, weight gain and reduced muscle mass.

Up to 78 percent of hair products, including leave-in conditioners, also contain phthalates, the research adds.

Phthalates are added to prolong products' shelf lives and have been linked to breast and ovarian cancer, as well as early menopause.

Out of the 18 products analysed, 11 contain chemicals that are banned under the EU cosmetic regulations due to their links to cancer and female infertility.

Previous research suggests black women are more likely to use straightening and moisturising hair products to try and meet social beauty norms....

-------------------------------
https://www.cosmopolitan.com/style-beauty/beauty/g7597249/banned-cosmetic-ingredients/

What are some of those ingredients:

1Formaldehyde - Not listed, but can be found in shampoos (I use Baby Wash which does not contain it)
Found in: hair straightening treatments, nail polish, and eyelash glue
2Triphenyl Phosphate (TPHP)
Found in: nail polish
3Petroleum
4Propyl Paraben
Found in: skin care, makeup, and hair care

5Fragrance
Found in: perfume, skin care, makeup, and hair care
Why it's sketch: Fragrance — which is not just in perfume but shows up in the majority of beauty products as a listed ingredient all its own — occupies a space in cosmetic chemistry called the “fragrance loophole,” where ingredients can be hidden so as not to give away trade secrets. “When you see ‘fragrance,’ that could be 10 to 100 different chemical ingredients and you don’t know anything about what they are,” say Sigurdson. “Some ingredients found in fragrance, like styrene and phthalates, while it's unclear how common they are, have been linked to endocrine disruption and cancer.”

6Hydroquinone (skin bleaching products)
7Phthalates
Found in: skin care, hair care, nail polish, and plastics
Why it's sketch: This family of ingredients is restricted in the E.U. and has possible links to cancer, says Sobel. And, according to Sigurdson, phthalates have been linked to hormonal disruption in men and women. “There are a lot of studies on phthalates, mostly on animal or in vitro meaning in a test tube or a petri dish, not on humans,” says Wilson. “The conclusion is usually that more studies need to be done.”

8P-Phenylenediamine
Found in: hair dyes that darken

CurlyWhoCrux

I used a split end serum on my ends and then sealed with the Mane Choice It Doesn't Get Much Butter.

Faith, I was thinking more about my reply to you and I think I should clarify. The whipped shea doesn’t give me that Uber softness/silkiness that others are achieving. In fact, I think I get softer, shinier hair with TMC hair dressing. But keep in mind I also have thick strands and so even tho I’m lo-po I still tend to use a lot of product. Sigh, I’m just as lost as you are. But we’ll get there.

faithVA

Faith, I was thinking more about my reply to you and I think I should clarify. The whipped shea doesn’t give me that Uber softness/silkiness that others are achieving. In fact, I think I get softer, shinier hair with TMC hair dressing. But keep in mind I also have thick strands and so even tho I’m lo-po I still tend to use a lot of product. Sigh, I’m just as lost as you are. But we’ll get there.
I don't know if I am even trying to get soft sleek hair. I'm just trying to keep my ends from splitting and tangling up on each other.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Just whipped up a Batch and added too much Oil:angry2:

And I know when Handmade/Natural vendors have "consistency problems" you notice it right away.

I noticed once I started whipping it, I was a little too "liberal" with the Apricot Oil.

I added:
Unref SB
Amla Powder
Kalpi Tone Powder
Apricot Kernel Oil (too much):(

GGsKin

Last night/ this morning as a kind of prepoo, I melted down some Shea mix and oiled my scalp and hair before smoothing on conditioner. I put in about 10 twists, clipped and baggied and left overnight. I plan to rinse this out and and clay wash/ wash n go today.

Last edited:

caribeandiva

Human being
I don't know if I am even trying to get soft sleek hair. I'm just trying to keep my ends from splitting and tangling up on each other.
What has helped me is to do the LOC method daily. I spritz my hair with water, apply S-Curl then seal with my whipped Shea Butter mix. My hair is soft, moisturized and retaining length like never before! Try that and see how your hair likes it.

faithVA

What has helped me is to do the LOC method daily. I spritz my hair with water, apply S-Curl then seal with my whipped Shea Butter mix. My hair is soft, moisturized and retaining length like never before! Try that and see how your hair likes it.
I will try it on my ends. I wear my hair up all week so I will try it on my hair on wash day and then see how it feels mid week.

Aggie

@Chicoro, my Dominican hair stylist is promoting your book on her site. I just saw it here http://www.rihefra.com/make_hair_ grow_fast.html. If you click on to your book on the site, it takes you directly to Amazon for purchase. Wow! I was so impressed.

When I saw it, I was like, "Wait! I know that head of hair! Turns out, she loves your book. I know she wouldn't post it on her site if she didn't believe in it. You are well known in the Bahamas now girlie :yay:.

ETA:

Soooo, when is the next book coming? Enquiring minds wanna know.

Last edited:

Chicoro

@Chicoro, my Dominican hair stylist is promoting your book on her site. I just saw it here http://www.rihefra.com/make_hair_ grow_fast.html. If you click on to your book on the site, it takes you directly to Amazon for purchase. Wow! I was so impressed.

When I saw it, I was like, "Wait! I know that head of hair! Turns out, she loves your book. I know she wouldn't if she didn't believe in it. You are well known in the Bahamas now girlie :yay:.

ETA:

Soooo, when is the next book coming? Enquiring minds wanna know.

@Aggie,
It is very kind and generous of you to let me know that your stylist likes my book and that she put it on her site. Please tell her I said, "Thank you very much!" I thank you as well. I appreciate you putting the link here so I could see it. I guess I need to add the Bahamas to my list of places, full of beautiful women with afro-textured hair, that I need to give a visit.

In a perfect world, the next book comes out around December 2018. I'm working on the structure. I would like to put it in a narrative form instead of a self-help form. That means, it would read like a novel, but I would still be imparting hair knowledge.

I've learned a lot more about hair since 2008, which was the publication year of that book. Interestingly, my new knowledge does not contradict what I first wrote, but adds to and expands upon the original information. To me, the content of that first book is evergreen and it pre-dates most hair videos on YouTube that discuss [afro-textured] hair from a scientific perspective.

Last edited:

Aggie

@Aggie,
It is very kind and generous of you to let me know that your stylist likes my book and that she put it on her site. Please tell her I said, "Thank you very much!" I thank you as well. I appreciate you putting the link here so I could see it. I guess I need to add the Bahamas to my list of places, full of beautiful women with afro-textured hair, that I need to give a visit.

In a perfect world, the next book comes out around December 2018. I'm working on the structure. I would like to put it in a narrative form instead of a self-help form. That means, it would read like a novel, but I would still be imparting hair knowledge.

I've learned a lot more about hair since 2008, which was the publication year of that book. Interestingly, my new knowledge does not contradict what I first wrote, but adds to and expands upon the original information. To me, the content of that first book is evergreen and it pre-dates most hair videos on YouTube that discuss [afro-textured] hair from a scientific perspective.
You are quite welcome @Chicoro. So many women here are now transitioning to natural it's unbelievable - from very young to quite older.

I'll be looking out for your new book for sure :yep:.

GettingKinky

Ladies I have a question. Can shea butter be whipped by itself or do you have to add oils? I bought pure Shea butter and it’s supposed to be whipped already, but it’s super dense and hard to use. I was going to just dump it in a bowl and whip it, but it seems like maybe I should add oil to it.

Chicoro

Ladies I have a question. Can shea butter be whipped by itself or do you have to add oils? I bought pure Shea butter and it’s supposed to be whipped already, but it’s super dense and hard to use. I was going to just dump it in a bowl and whip it, but it seems like maybe I should add oil to it.

You may want to consider just taking out a little bit from the bulk, about 1/4 cup or less. Add in about 1 tablespoon of oil. If you don't have a mixer, scrunch it up with a fork as if you were making mashed potatoes. Then, use that as your reference. Is it too oily? Not soft enough? Too soft? Make your adjustments according to what you want to have.

If you have an electric wired whisk, use that to whip it. Stick blenders and liquid blenders give a different texture.

Just don't use a lot for your first 'learning' batch. If you can, write down what you did including measurements and oil used. Good luck!

fluffyforever

My goal is to have softer hair that will stop breaking and shedding every time I touch it.

So I'm not a mixtress. I'm going to be using products with shea butter.

I bought and used a few SM products and twisted my hair two days ago. I took down the twists and I had very soft and defined hair.

I used SM restorative conditioner as a leave-in, SM coconut oil serum, and SM high porosity gel. I'll be using the SM restorative conditioner until my Etsy purchase of whipped shea butter arrives to see which my hair likes better in this combo.