Shea Growth And Retention Regimen 2018

Has Shea Butter 'got you'?

• Let me look over my investment portfolio and see if I have room for shea related stocks.

Votes: 21 12.8%
  • I've got 8 pounds in the house, I need to order me some more because I don't want to run out.

Votes: 29 17.7%
  • 1 Day without sealing my ends is just unthinkable.

Votes: 12 7.3%
  • It works for me for now.

Votes: 45 27.4%
  • Nah, I can take it or leave it.

Votes: 12 7.3%
  • Meh, I'm here for the posts.

Votes: 28 17.1%
  • That stuff just weighs down my hair. No thanks!

Votes: 17 10.4%

• Total voters

caribeandiva

Human being
Hi Shea Sisters:bighug:
I just detangled and retwiated my hair with the intention of trimming my ends. They are not split but a bit rough. Not horrible but it has been over five months since my last trim (Dec ‘17)
I thought about how @Chicoro wouldn’t trim her ends because of a goal of growth. So now, I’m wondering if I should even do mine.

Is there something I can use to repair rough ends without trimming? Like even though they sell split end repair products, the only way to get rid of them truly is to cut. Know what I mean? I’m asking for your opinions. These are the best pics I could take, I wish you could feel them to tell me. I am planning for a professional trim in December 2018. Will I be making it worse that she’ll have to cut more then, idk
Your ends look fine to me but I can’t touch them like you can so you know better. Your hair is so pretty!

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
Hi Shea Sisters:bighug:
I just detangled and retwiated my hair with the intention of trimming my ends. They are not split but a bit rough. Not horrible but it has been over five months since my last trim (Dec ‘17)
I thought about how @Chicoro wouldn’t trim her ends because of a goal of growth. So now, I’m wondering if I should even do mine.

Is there something I can use to repair rough ends without trimming? Like even though they sell split end repair products, the only way to get rid of them truly is to cut. Know what I mean? I’m asking for your opinions. These are the best pics I could take, I wish you could feel them to tell me. I am planning for a professional trim in December 2018. Will I be making it worse that she’ll have to cut more then, idk

If you are going to be wearing straight styles, I would suggest you follow your trim schedule. Two questions: Do you have a daily ends routine? And, when did you start using Shea butter?

yamilee21

@guyaneseyankee , rough ends for me usually means a few too many single strand knots. Since I rarely wear my hair straight and I have multiple curl patterns/hair types, I don't worry about having my ends at the same length. So when I feel "rough ends," I look for knots and cut them out individually, instead of cutting off gained length with a trim. If I find a lot of knots, I try to moisturize and oil/shea my ends more regularly, and keep them more protected by wearing buns, etc.

guyaneseyankee

@guyaneseyankee , rough ends for me usually means a few too many single strand knots. Since I rarely wear my hair straight and I have multiple curl patterns/hair types, I don't worry about having my ends at the same length. So when I feel "rough ends," I look for knots and cut them out individually, instead of cutting off gained length with a trim. If I find a lot of knots, I try to moisturize and oil/shea my ends more regularly, and keep them more protected by wearing buns, etc.
Thank you for your detailed response.
I posted in a FB hair group too, and they totally missed the point. Telling me cutting was better and asking why I only cut once a year.
I'm going to pick up the Mane Choice Split End Treatment Serum and continue with my Shea Butter Mix. And protect my ends.

NCHairDiva

WAIST LENGTH 2019
Ive been in my micro-twists for the past 2 weeks. This is my wash weekend and I dreaded taking down the twist because it always results in hair tangles and knots.
When I twisted my hair I did so on damp hair adding S-Curl and my whipped Shea butter. I did not moisturize at all in the last 2 weeks. I only let the steam from my showers add a gentle mist to it.
I am totally blown away! Today I took down my twist and the 2 strands just slid apart. I did not add anything to the twist. I simply added a small amount of oil to the tips of my fingers.
No tangles at all. NONE!
My twist were heavy and swanging the whole time.... I have very fine strands so I was amazed. Also I never got the fuzzy look. They stayed very shiny and silky the whole time. I love me some Whipped Shea butter!!!
So now that my mini twist are out I twistes my hair into 8 large twists to get my detangling done in time for wash day...since my hair has no tangles I dont know what to do with it until Sunday. And I sure dont want it to sit and get tangles or matted now.... Im thinking Im going to maybe add a bit of moisture (aloe vera and water) then slather on my Whipped Shea butter and keep it twisted as a pre treatment for my wash day.
Any thoughts anyone???

bellebebe

I initially wasn’t going to post a pic, but my sister @caribeandiva said I should. I don’t normally take progress pictures ... (I know... I know)... but I just happened to find this pic I took last month. I wish I wore the same shirt on both... well, I’ll have to wear it for my next update I guess. I rarely wear my hair out. I’m in wigs 99% of the time (It just makes my life easier that way).

Attachments

• 86695EAB-B55D-4A47-BA5E-5C8E98B12B57.jpeg
    86695EAB-B55D-4A47-BA5E-5C8E98B12B57.jpeg
    349.6 KB · Views: 215

caribeandiva

Human being
I initially wasn’t going to post a pic, but my sister @caribeandiva said I should. I don’t normally take progress pictures ... (I know... I know)... but I just happened to find this pic I took last month. I wish I wore the same shirt on both... well, I’ll have to wear it for my next update I guess. I rarely wear my hair out. I’m in wigs 99% of the time (It just makes my life easier that way).
Awesome progress!! I’m so proud of you! :pepper:I feel like a proud mama :cry4:

caribeandiva

Human being
Hello!!! Is anyone out there?

Sorry. I’ve been spending all my time in the Meghan Markle royal wedding thread! We’re rooting for her and want her to win!! I’m so happy for her! Melanin power :giggle:
https://longhaircareforum.com/threads/prince-harry-to-marry-meghan-markle.827817/

Chicoro

Very nice progress and photos!

Chicoro

Ive been in my micro-twists for the past 2 weeks. This is my wash weekend and I dreaded taking down the twist because it always results in hair tangles and knots.
When I twisted my hair I did so on damp hair adding S-Curl and my whipped Shea butter. I did not moisturize at all in the last 2 weeks. I only let the steam from my showers add a gentle mist to it.
I am totally blown away! Today I took down my twist and the 2 strands just slid apart. I did not add anything to the twist. I simply added a small amount of oil to the tips of my fingers.
No tangles at all. NONE!
My twist were heavy and swanging the whole time.... I have very fine strands so I was amazed. Also I never got the fuzzy look. They stayed very shiny and silky the whole time. I love me some Whipped Shea butter!!!
So now that my mini twist are out I twistes my hair into 8 large twists to get my detangling done in time for wash day...since my hair has no tangles I dont know what to do with it until Sunday. And I sure dont want it to sit and get tangles or matted now.... Im thinking Im going to maybe add a bit of moisture (aloe vera and water) then slather on my Whipped Shea butter and keep it twisted as a pre treatment for my wash day.
Any thoughts anyone???

What did you decide to do and how did your hair turn out?

Chicoro

My hair has begun to change with Shea butter in this second year of application. I like it. The change is that it is super wavy at the roots all the way until the start of the braid. It just may be I am learning how to keep my style neat longer.

I pile on Shea butter and it makes my hair and braids "firm". If I tap the roots with gel prior to Shea butter application, the hair stays neat without any flyaway. It does still draw up, but it looks good. I can go two and three days without feeling like I absolutely must re-braid my hair. I have stopped washing my hair as frequently as well. My ends get tangly so I can only go about three days of leaving the same braids in before I start to have issues with my ends.

Chicoro

In other news related to skin and not hair, I have been using Shea butter on my body. I had on a dress and my legs have a smooth dewy, look. I have no scars on my legs below my knees and even my knees look good. I need to stop being stingy with the butter on my body.

lalla

Okay! I got to meet a real unicorn: @lalla ! Of course, she is beautiful.

She was kind enough to meet me in Paris. She took me to St. Denis to get some hair products. I was in northern France for the week and had run low on my Scurl and didn't bring any bobby pins. So, that's what I got when I came to meet her in Paris. It was a beautiful day. If I hadn't had my bag, I might have galloped from the train station to St. Denis.

We met at Starbucks and I left greasy fingerprints all over the table. She just looked and smiled. Then, in the metro, I left greasy fingerprints where I was balancing myself during the ride. I showed her those with pride, too!

It was such a pleasure meeting you in Paris!

fluffyforever

I have no experience mixing things so I ordered some whipped shea on Etsy and my order arrived. I used Jakeala's Alma Shea parfait for the first time last night after washing and just put my hair up into twisted Bantu knots to stretch.

This is my first time ever seeing and feeling whipped shea. It was light and fluffy like Yoplait whipped yogurt. Is this what whipped shea butter is supposed to feel like? If so, I may be jumping on the shea train!

My hair was a bit rough out of the shower after my leave-in, but the shea alma parfait spread easily through my hair and gave back manageability on wet hair. My hair felt moisturized and lucious in the twists.

This morning I took down the Bantu knots and my hair was so smooth and moisturized and has lots of sheen bordering on shine in some areas.

I've used shea butter before by rubbing it in my hands or melting it down to use. I feel all that did was leave my hair coated and feeling hard. Fluffy shea butter may be a game changer for me.

Is this what whipped shea is like for you all? Or am I going crazy?

Chicoro

I have no experience mixing things so I ordered some whipped shea on Etsy and my order arrived. I used Jakeala's Alma Shea parfait for the first time last night after washing and just put my hair up into twisted Bantu knots to stretch. [...]

Is this what whipped shea is like for you all? Or am I going crazy?

Ahm...well since you asked...

Probably not...crazy...

I don't know. But Shea is definitely for me, like you described! Un-whipped Shea butter left my hair hard, coated, dull and greasy. Whipped Shea butter got me and my hair sprung.

Be careful, you may slide into Whipped Shea butter addiction, like many of us here. If so, be prepared for 40 pounds of Shea in storage in your home, to feel like it's not enough because you need more 'as back up'. That's when you know you got it bad.