Shea Growth And Retention Regimen 2018

Has Shea Butter 'got you'?

• Let me look over my investment portfolio and see if I have room for shea related stocks.

Votes: 21 12.8%
  • I've got 8 pounds in the house, I need to order me some more because I don't want to run out.

Votes: 29 17.7%
  • 1 Day without sealing my ends is just unthinkable.

Votes: 12 7.3%
  • It works for me for now.

Votes: 45 27.4%
  • Nah, I can take it or leave it.

Votes: 12 7.3%
  • Meh, I'm here for the posts.

Votes: 28 17.1%
  • That stuff just weighs down my hair. No thanks!

Votes: 17 10.4%

• Total voters

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
Shea butter has been so good to me, I forgot about the one huge benefit I have received. I no longer lose entire curls. I used to lose whole, thick curls. It's been a long time since that's happened. I'm getting spoiled and becoming ungrateful. Shame on me! Thank you Queen Shea.

yamilee21

I would love to know your recipe. I fail when I add aloe vera to my mix. Obviously, I am doing something wrong.

I use Lily of the Desert aloe vera gel. But we do use up the mixtures fairly quickly, usually within 2-3 weeks. I only keep them in the refrigerator during the summer; the rest of the time my house is cold enough that they do not go bad. Toward the end, there may be a little separation, but I just re-whip with a small whisk.

The recipe I made most recently was 8 oz shea butter, 4 oz coconut oil and 4 oz aloe vera gel with a few drops of tea tree oil, whipped for a very, very long time. I use the same base for skin cream, but add other oils, such as camphor, eucalyptus, argan. I still have a jar of the skin cream from about 6 weeks ago, and it has not separated or gone bad.

I'm jealous of the positive effect shea is having on everyone's nails! I think my nails must be immune to the power of shea, because they look as awful as ever. :(

Chicoro

I use Lily of the Desert aloe vera gel. But we do use up the mixtures fairly quickly, usually within 2-3 weeks. I only keep them in the refrigerator during the summer; the rest of the time my house is cold enough that they do not go bad. Toward the end, there may be a little separation, but I just re-whip with a small whisk.

The recipe I made most recently was 8 oz shea butter, 4 oz coconut oil and 4 oz aloe vera gel with a few drops of tea tree oil, whipped for a very, very long time. I use the same base for skin cream, but add other oils, such as camphor, eucalyptus, argan. I still have a jar of the skin cream from about 6 weeks ago, and it has not separated or gone bad.

I'm jealous of the positive effect shea is having on everyone's nails! I think my nails must be immune to the power of shea, because they look as awful as ever. :(

Thank you for writing out all this detailed information! I appreciate the time and effort.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
I had the privilege of working with some 3cayg Shea butter.....let me tell YOU!!!! This stuff is top notch!

When I opened the pail, I noticed the lovely smell right away. Yes, it's nutty, but it has a nice & almost calming aroma.

The butter is very creamy. It has a layer of white film on it...almost like its wrapped in a creamy cloud.

IMAG2130.jpg

I melted it down with some other oils and placed it in the freezer wrapped tightly for an hour. Still creamy....

IMAG2131.jpg

Set my standing mixer to the "creaming" setting and mixed in 2 minute increments for 6 minutes, scrapping the sides in between. Put the mixer on the "whipping" setting for 2 additional minutes and lawd....

IMAG2133.jpg

Just pure loveliness....

IMAG2135.jpg

I've worked with a few companies and their Shea butter...

Wholesalessuppliesplus...Save your money & don't do it...That stuff was hard as a brick and smelled horrid.

Oslove Organics...a great seller and nice butter.

Cleopatra...butter is nice as well.

But if you want the cream of the crop....That real deal Holyfield.....

evander holyfield in ring_001.jpg

3cayg is where it's at!

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Anyone know how Shea butter fairs on colored hair? I'm thinking about coloring my hair but I want to continue using shea butter to twist my hair.

Are you going lighter or darker?

I "color" darker with henna & indigo and Shea butter compliments the color well as it almost makes the hair appear even more darker.

I don't have any experience with using Shea butter on lighter hair. I'm assuming it would be a great aid for fortifying and keeping the hair moisturized and strong (health wise) since going lighter does require a bit more care.

naturalagain2

Are you going lighter or darker?

I "color" darker with henna & indigo and Shea butter compliments the color well as it almost makes the hair appear even more darker.

I don't have any experience with using Shea butter on lighter hair. I'm assuming it would be a great aid for fortifying and keeping the hair moisturized and strong (health wise) since going lighter does require a bit more care.

I was thinking (not sold yet) ginger copper with blonde highlights.

Chicoro

I had the privilege of working with some 3cayg Shea butter.....let me tell YOU!!!! This stuff is top notch!

When I opened the pail, I noticed the lovely smell right away. Yes, it's nutty, but it has a nice & almost calming aroma.

The butter is very creamy. It has a layer of white film on it...almost like its wrapped in a creamy cloud.

View attachment 431073

I melted it down with some other oils and placed it in the freezer wrapped tightly for an hour. Still creamy....

View attachment 431069

Set my standing mixer to the "creaming" setting and mixed in 2 minute increments for 6 minutes, scrapping the sides in between. Put the mixer on the "whipping" setting for 2 additional minutes and lawd....

View attachment 431075

Just pure loveliness....

View attachment 431071

Wholesalessuppliesplus...Save your money & don't do it...That stuff was hard as a brick and smelled horrid.

View attachment 431077

3cayg is where it's at!

So heavenly!

Chicoro

I had to get to the store to get some essential oil to put in my Shea butter. They only had two left. When I got home I realized that I was supposed to buy lemongrass and NOT citronella. Well, I guess I'll be protected from mosquitos until this batch is finished. The citronella smells sweet and soft in my Shea mix. I really like it. It has a gorgeous smell. I think my Higher Self, dazed and confused me temporarily so that I would buy the citronella by accident.

Night, night all!

Garner

View attachment 431073

View attachment 431069

View attachment 431075

Just pure loveliness....

View attachment 431071

View attachment 431077

3cayg is where it's at!
@ElevatedEnergy you always make your Shea Mixture so creamy, almost like a desert. What oils did you use in your mixture? I am so glad you shared regarding your experiences with the various suppliers of Shea. In looking at the comments of others that used 3cayg, all were extremely positive.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
@ElevatedEnergy you always make your Shea Mixture so creamy, almost like a desert. What oils did you use in your mixture? I am so glad you shared regarding your experiences with the various suppliers of Shea. In looking at the comments of others that used 3cayg, all were extremely positive.

@Garner
I have 2 different blends I make...But for each I prefer Ceramide rich oils because they are light so easily absorbed by the skin and hair. I like to pair the Ceramide oils with fruit oils. Shea, plus ceramides plus fruit oils just make a lovely combination.

So for blend 1: Shea, Safflower Oil that I infuse with herbs, and apricot oil.

For blend 2: Shea, Ricebran Oil that I infuse with herbs, and peach kernel oil.

My ratio of Shea to oils is 1 to 1. So half and half.

I've tried many different combos, ratios and techniques over this last year and those are my favorite. The mixture ends up being light, fluffy and spreads easily. Only a small amount of it is needed to get the job done. When I apply, I only do a fingertip for my whole head of hair which lasts for usually 7 days. I only reapply to my ends maybe once or twice in between.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
@ElevatedEnergy ,

Can we get a small tutorial on the ins and outs of ceramide rich oils? I know Google is my friend, but YOU are our Shea Sister! :2inlove::giggle: :prettyplease:

Sure! You know I got my Shea Siblings!

I love Ceramide rich oils and have been using them consistently in my routine for close to 3 years after being inspired by this particular thread and the OP documenting her progress.

https://longhaircareforum.com/threa...mony-and-the-evolution-of-my-bun-pics.488440/

And this:

http://www.bellemocha.com/2010/01/stronger-cuticle-layer-with-ceramides.html

I would highly recommend reading those but for a quick wrap up of them both:

Ceramides are the "glue" that bind the cuticle and the cortex of the hair together. It helps in the prevention of split ends.
Ceramides help protect the cuticle layer of the hair which in turn slows down moisture and protein loss. They are high in linoleic acid and helps to flatten the cuticle. When cuticles lay flat; hair is shinier, retains moisture better, feels smoother, porosity and elasticity are improved.

For my own personal experience, the biggest change I noticed right away was the difference in my split ends. I was transitioning and was dealing with tons of splits. Once I started using the ceramides, it was almost as if the splits just repaired themselves and I haven't had an issue with splits since.

Then I added Ayurvedic powders a year and a half later to my routine and I noticed my need to do protein treatments was almost non-existent. So ceramides plus Ayurvedic powders equal a lovely fortifying and strengthening treatment. (Particularly Brahmi or Bhringraj)

Then I added Mango Butter a few months later and I noticed my need to moisturize in between washing was few and far in between. Its high fatty acid content makes it an intensive moisturizer for hair.

Then around the fall of last year, Shea butter hit the scene and my hair journey has been a wrap. Ceramides, Ayurvedic powders & butters have been my hairs saving grace.

So ceramides are great alone but when used with certain ingredients are almost magical.

How I use them:
*In an Ayurvedic Herbal Oil
*A Ceramide Buttercream Hair Treatment
(I use this pre-wash on the last 6 inches of my hair after spritzing my hair with very warm water. I leave the treatment in overnight) It has a Ceramide Oil, Mango Butter, Shea butter, An Ayurvedic powder, Argan oil & Coconut Cream Concentrate (which has a high fat content & also has the ability to penetrate deep within the hair strands to plasticize the cortex, making hair stronger)
*In my Shea Butter Blends

My favorite Ceramide Oil hands down is Safflower Oil and I use it on my hair and face. However, here is a list of some Oils and their ceramide percentages:

Safflower oil 78%
Grape seed oil 73%
Poppy seed oil 70%
Sunflower oil 68%
Hemp oil 60%
Corn oil 59%
Wheat germ oil 55%
Cottonseed oil 54%
Soybean oil 51%
Walnut oil 51%
Sesame oil 45%
Rice bran oil 39%
Pistachio oil 32.7%
Peanut oil 32%
Canola oil 21%
Egg yolk 16%
Linseed oil 15%
Lard 10%
Olive oil 10%
Palm oil 10%
Cocoa butter 3%
Macadamia oil 2%
Butter 2%

caribeandiva

Human being

View attachment 431073

View attachment 431069

View attachment 431075

Just pure loveliness....

View attachment 431071

View attachment 431077

3cayg is where it's at!

2D69C671-41D7-413D-97D9-464559A72853.gif
B3AE6542-BDEB-4B82-9644-DE39551E8C57.gif

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
@ElevatedEnergy why do you put your mixture in the freezer for an hour? Does it make it whip better?

I have tried whipping Shea butter without melting it first and while it's ok, I do have to used a mesh sieve to get lumps out after the whipping process. And honestly I whip alot of Shea butter and I really ain't got time for that. LOL Plus the application from not melting it is not as smooth.

So the reason why I put it in the freezer after melting it is because, when you melt Shea....you are pretty much separating all of its fatty acids from each other. If you leave it out at room temperature; as it solidifies again it will become crystallized or grainy....this is because the fatty acids will clump to each other and resolidify together. So the faster you resolidify, the less chance you have of your final mixture becoming grainy. Most people use the fridge...I prefer the freezer.

So yes...melting Shea, adding the other oils then freezing them together equals a very smooth, fluffy, creamy and spreadable butter. And after the whipping is done, I don't have to worry about anything other than putting it in a jar. So it's a lot less work on the back end if that makes sense.

Last edited: