Shea Growth And Retention Regimen 2018

Has Shea Butter 'got you'?

• Let me look over my investment portfolio and see if I have room for shea related stocks.

Votes: 21 12.8%
  • I've got 8 pounds in the house, I need to order me some more because I don't want to run out.

Votes: 29 17.7%
  • 1 Day without sealing my ends is just unthinkable.

Votes: 12 7.3%
  • It works for me for now.

Votes: 45 27.4%
  • Nah, I can take it or leave it.

Votes: 12 7.3%
  • Meh, I'm here for the posts.

Votes: 28 17.1%
  • That stuff just weighs down my hair. No thanks!

Votes: 17 10.4%

• Total voters

Saga

The Generous Queen
Took out my crochet locs and styled my hair to stretched bun. Laid my edges down with some edge control and my Shea butter mix. Does anybody know if Shea makes your hair darker? My roots have never stayed dark this long, like I literally haven't dyed my hair black in a year at this point.

I pulled my hair down in the back and I was surprised that it seemed like my nape retained 1 in....which made it hit right under the bra-strap. So I'm like hmmm....ok, maybe my waist length dreams are not so impossible! :rocker:

sarumoki

Epicurean Empress
Today is wash day again! For the first time since going natural I'm actually looking forward to wash day because I can't wait to use my Shea mix again.

I also made a small batch of cuticle cream with Shea butter and lanolin. I absolutely love it.
Wash day was postponed because the hot water is out. :( I want to get some pretty jars to put my mixes in. I'm tired of keeping it in tupperware containers.

yynot

New slider checking in. Got my order in the mail today. It’s super hot here today and mail didn’t come until 8pm. My precious buttas was sitting in a hot mail truck all day, ugh! I had no idea what to expect when I opened my box. First of all, this tub is huge! I have to go back through this thread and hurry up and get started before I get discouraged not knowing what to do with this 5lbs of precious. Also got 1lb mango butter, bottle of apricot oil and rice bran oil. I remember using an Aveda product with rice bran oil and my hair loved it. I’m going to get some glass jars from Michaels this weekend. I want to make some for my niece. She has issues retaining. I.AM.SO.EXCITED!!!

Daina

Took out my crochet locs and styled my hair to stretched bun. Laid my edges down with some edge control and my Shea butter mix. Does anybody know if Shea makes your hair darker? My roots have never stayed dark this long, like I literally haven't dyed my hair black in a year at this point.

I pulled my hair down in the back and I was surprised that it seemed like my nape retained 1 in....which made it hit right under the bra-strap. So I'm like hmmm....ok, maybe my waist length dreams are not so impossible! :rocker:

Yes I experienced the same effect from shea butter! My hair has been shea black ever since I started using it. It definitely slows my grays coming back.

Last edited:

ItsMeLilLucky

NotLucky no mo' just blessed.
I think of shea butter for fall and winter moisturizing and style protectives. How do ya'll do shea butter in the summer because it's thick and weighs the hair down and on your shoulders? Can you diffuse with shea butter?
I don’t slather on as much as I do when it’s a bit colder. Now I don’t have enough hair to answer your question, but I suppose you can if you make a few tweaks.

tapioca_pudding

Hey ladies! :wavey:

Have been so ridiculously busy, but I am absolutely still shea slidin'!!! I will be a shea user for LIFE. I've even taken the whipped body butter that I've been making for years to the next level and started a business. :yay: Super excited to watch that flourish.

I won't be renewing my subscription this year for LHCF. I LOVE this place for so many reasons, but my life is beyond hectic and I just need to focus. I'll prolly be back :rolleyes: :lachen: after I get a handle on life and things calm down. But now it's time for me to buckle down and focus on myself, my family, my business, school, and growth overall - including hair. :gorgeous:

Love you ladies, wishing nothing but the best for you all in every aspect of life!

xo

Daina

If this works for me, I’ll be a Shea convert for life. My gray hairs are pretty resistant. I use a demi permanent dye every 8 weeks and my grays won’t even stay covered that long.

I use SM jet black and since getting on the Shea train I only retouch the roots every 6 months. My grays are only around the perimeter and the back is more resistant than the front but even the back behaves with Queen Shea!

ItsMeLilLucky

NotLucky no mo' just blessed.

Have been so ridiculously busy, but I am absolutely still shea slidin'!!! I will be a shea user for LIFE. I've even taken the whipped body butter that I've been making for
years to the next level and started a business. :yay: Super excited to watch that flourish.

I won't be renewing my subscription this year for LHCF. I LOVE this place for so many reasons, but my life is beyond hectic and I just need to focus. I'll prolly be back :rolleyes: :lachen: after I get a handle on life and things calm down. But now it's time for me to buckle down and focus on myself, my family, my business, school, and growth overall - including hair. :gorgeous:

Love you ladies, wishing nothing but the best for you all in every aspect of life!

xo
:cry3::cry3:
Do what you gotta do.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing

Have been so ridiculously busy, but I am absolutely still shea slidin'!!! I will be a shea user for LIFE. I've even taken the whipped body butter that I've been making for years to the next level and started a business. :yay: Super excited to watch that flourish.

xo

:cry4:Awwwwwww Sis......It's about that time for me too though :hide:

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!

xo

I missed that part about starting the new business. Congratulations! Shea out here providing more support and direction than the Better Business Bureau!

Chicoro

I washed my hair. I made and used a pre-treatment to cleanse my scalp that contained essential oils of eucalyptus, tea tree and thyme. My hair is changing because washing in braids is no longer working. My braids are tangling up immediately after the wash. It may be my shampoo/baby wash, it may be it is getting too long to be in braids for a wash.

My hair draws up to my shoulders no matter how long it gets. So, I may have to start washing in sections with the ends secured and weighted down with clips.

Chicoro

This video is in French but all you need are eyes to see her process. It starts at around
@3 minutes in the video.

I am going to try this process. She has 4c hair. As she washes, her hair is weighted down by the clips she puts in her hair. Also, her hair lays on her back and is straightened by the running water. She has kind, gentle hair compared to mine. My hair likes to wrap around humans, and squeeze, like a boa constrictor. I am not a fan of washing my hair in the shower because my hair likes to tie around my hands and wrists and by the time I've disentangled myself, I feel like I've performed a Houdini magic escape.

My hair NEVER lays down. Water pressure could be tearing holes in my flesh and my hair would still be hovering around my shoulders in the shower. Yet, that same hair hangs to my behind when I pull it and stretch it, which is the case for me right now. My hair never hangs straight unless I press it or flat iron it.

But anyway, something has to change for my hair. So I am going to buy some clips and keep my hair sectioned and weighted when I wash it , but not braided. I may buy something to hook up to my sink so I can wash it like at the beauty shop.

It's just getting too long to do my old routines and steps. First, I had to leave my single ponytail and baggie process behind. Now, I have to stop washing my hair in braids.

Braiding is no longer enough stretching on my new hair length. Just to reiterate for myself, my new routine that I have transitioned into since late 2016 consists of steps 1 through 3:

1. No Comb Routine
  2. Shea Butter on Hair
  3. Ends Routine with Castor Oil
  4. Wash hair in loosened, weighted sections* (Will be auditioning this next wash day.)
Shea butter has got me saying and thinking that my hair may be getting too long for me to manage. I never thought those words would EVER come out of MY mouth.

CurlyWhoCrux

@Chicoro

Are your strands fine, medium, or coarse?
Also what’s your porosity?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have a feeling that my hair characteristics all work in opposition of Shea butter.

The coarse strands need more product.

Those same Lo-P.O. strands can’t absorb all of the product.

I can’t seem to satisfy both these characteristics at the same time, at least not with Shea butter.

Also, just to clarify, I don’t have the means or resources to whip Shea butter right now. So it’s possible that whipped Shea butter would work for me, but since that’s not practical for my lifestyle there’s little point in considering Shea.

Chicoro

@Chicoro

Are your strands fine, medium, or coarse?
Also what’s your porosity?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have a feeling that my hair characteristics all work in opposition of Shea butter.

The coarse strands need more product.

Those same Lo-P.O. strands can’t absorb all of the product.

I can’t seem to satisfy both these characteristics at the same time, at least not with Shea butter.

Also, just to clarify, I don’t have the means or resources to whip Shea butter right now. So it’s possible that whipped Shea butter would work for me, but since that’s not practical for my lifestyle there’s little point in considering Shea.

You have to do what works best for you and your hair! There are many ladies on LHCF who have found that Shea butter just doesn't work for them. Regarding my hair, it is coarse. I see hair as either high porosity or normal porosity. My hair is normal porosity.