Shea Growth And Retention Regimen 2018

Has Shea Butter 'got you'?

• Let me look over my investment portfolio and see if I have room for shea related stocks.

Votes: 21 12.8%
  • I've got 8 pounds in the house, I need to order me some more because I don't want to run out.

Votes: 29 17.7%
  • 1 Day without sealing my ends is just unthinkable.

Votes: 12 7.3%
  • It works for me for now.

Votes: 45 27.4%
  • Nah, I can take it or leave it.

Votes: 12 7.3%
  • Meh, I'm here for the posts.

Votes: 28 17.1%
  • That stuff just weighs down my hair. No thanks!

Votes: 17 10.4%

• Total voters

caribeandiva

Human being
So now that it's been a few weeks, here's how Shea butter has helped me the most. My biggest issue with retention since going natural has been SSKs at my ends, and the fact that shed hairs would get tangled up in non-shed hairs at the ends and then I couldn't remove the shed hairs without cutting the hair that they were knotted up with. I'm a pretty heavy shedder so this was a big issue for me. Since using Shea butter I don't have this issue anymore. My shed hairs just fall right out without disturbing the other hairs.

Also, since I promised pics, here is a picture of the twists I did on my last wash with the Shea butter on them. I don't have any older pictures so I'll consider this my official starting point.

View attachment 432665
That’s a great starting point!

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
So now that it's been a few weeks, here's how Shea butter has helped me the most. My biggest issue with retention since going natural has been SSKs at my ends, and the fact that shed hairs would get tangled up in non-shed hairs at the ends and then I couldn't remove the shed hairs without cutting the hair that they were knotted up with. I'm a pretty heavy shedder so this was a big issue for me. Since using Shea butter I don't have this issue anymore. My shed hairs just fall right out without disturbing the other hairs.

Also, since I promised pics, here is a picture of the twists I did on my last wash with the Shea butter on them. I don't have any older pictures so I'll consider this my official starting point.

View attachment 432665

Congratulations! That's a huge issue to be able to combat straight out the gate!

Chicoro

I think 25 inches is the longest my hair has ever been. I remember when I had only a few strands at that length. Now, 1 entire braid is about that length. Thank you, Queen Shea!

Technically, I've 'only gained' 1 inch since December, but I'm a strand counter. My hair's growth pattern is to drop in length, then stop and thicken up at that new length. I appreciate this 1 inch because it entailed a lot of work to go from a few strands at 25 inches, as in 2 to 4 strands, to a whole braid being that length.

caribeandiva

Human being
I think 25 inches is the longest my hair has ever been. I remember when I had only a few strands at that length. Now, 1 entire braid is about that length. Thank you, Queen Shea!

Technically, I've 'only gained' 1 inch since December, but I'm a strand counter. My hair's growth pattern is to drop in length, then stop and thicken up at that new length. I appreciate this 1 inch because it entailed a lot of work to go from a few strands at 25 inches, as in 2 to 4 strands, to a whole braid being that length.
Slow and steady wins the race. Good job!

fluffyforever

I had turned away from mother shea, making excuses of how I was too busy or tired to seal my hair with that fluffy goodness. My hair suffered. It felt rough and dry even though I was DCing.

Last night I said enough was enough. I spritzed my hair with water, added the usual Oyin Hair Dew, and then covered with Jakeala's Alma Shea Parfait. I put in 7 plaits and called it a night.

This morning, my hair was so smooth, and full of sheen like nobody's business. My hair looks so much more moisturized and it feels like it is too.

caribeandiva

Human being
I finally made a new batch of Shea butter last night. I used up the yellow cleopatra’s choice Shea. It was so gritty!! Even after whipping it I couldn’t get rid of the grittiness. I finally gave up and melted it down using the double boiler method. I froze it up then whipped it again. Ta-da! Smooth whipped buttah! And I used the pina colada scent mixed with coconut. My nose is in heaven! :cloud9:

charmtreese

My hair grows the same way.

I found a way to incorporate Shea Butter into my regimen, where It's working for me. When I first used shea butter (years ago) I would use it on wet hair on wash day after my leave-ins. It worked okay, but it really didn't help with detangling. Because of this thread I decided to give shea butter another chance. I'm now using it to seal the ends of my twist nightly after moisturizing, and after only about a week of using shea butter on my hair I've noticed that my ends stay smooth and tangle free with a lot less SSK's.

Chicoro

My hair grows the same way.

I found a way to incorporate Shea Butter into my regimen, where It's working for me. When I first used shea butter (years ago) I would use it on wet hair on wash day after my leave-ins. It worked okay, but it really didn't help with detangling. Because of this thread I decided to give shea butter another chance. I'm now using it to seal the ends of my twist nightly after moisturizing, and after only about a week of using shea butter on my hair I've noticed that my ends stay smooth and tangle free with a lot less SSK's.

Happy Clap! (Unicorn Style)

Let me stamp about four kinds of 'like' all over this post. YES!

I think it is so important that people recognize their growth patterns. That's how one optimizes their hair growth. I always say, growing afro-textured hair to long lengths is a 'thinking game', not a guessing game.

Hello twin growth pattern!

I've seen the progress in length you have made with your twists. If Shea butter is making a dramatic difference already, I think you will be between waist length and tailbone length within the next 6 months. I am assuming you have not reached waist length, yet. If you are already at waist length, then I believe you will be at tailbone length in six months. Bravo!

Queen Shea can never have enough long haired subjects in her majestic court. Welcome on board the Shea train!

Last edited:

Chicoro

@caribeandiva ,

Can I see the first monthly progress photo you took compared against this one taken in July, please? Thank you! I think you took one in January, right? Let's see all that glorious progress in one post.

Most afro-textured hair I know of grows strand by strand, dropping in length and then thickening up. Your hair is a PERFECT visually, documented record and presentation of this process.

It's not about 'holding onto' thin ends. It is about nurturing the hair to gain length. Gaining length on afro-textured hair is not the same process as gaining length on other types of hair.

Last edited:

caribeandiva

Human being
@caribeandiva ,

Can I see the first monthly progress photo you took compared against this one taken in July, please? Thank you! I think you took one in January, right? Let's see all that glorious progress in one post.

Most afro-textured hair I know of grows strand by strand, dropping in length and then thickening up. Your hair is a PERFECT visually, documented record and presentation of this process.

It's not about 'holding onto' thin ends. It is about nurturing the hair to gain length. Gaining length on afro-textured hair is not the same process as gaining length on other types of hair.
Here they are!
4EE05CF0-9FB7-4B2A-8BA8-AC125EB423B5.jpeg AB97AFBE-6BB7-4A14-BFA7-E970E7833472.jpeg

FadingDelilah

I've been using shea butter in my 4c sections. Those sections are very coarse compared to the rest of my hair. The shea stretches the hair there and makes it soft and supple. Also, adding shea on top of my glycerin mix leaves my hair softer for longer. I enjoy using it. I mostly use it for my face and neck though. I love how soft, smooth and shiny it leaves my skin.

Goombay_Summer

Until now I’ve been fairly agnostic about the gospel of Shea butter. Admittedly I had less than a stellar encounter with Cantu Shea butter leave in conditioning treatment. Born out of that brief encounter came an irrational hatred of Shea butter.

At this moment I’m wondering aimlessly, in the hair desert after a major setback, in May which required a 6 inch trim. I’m looking for an oasis and I’m hoping to join the ‘First Mount LHCF Transformational church of Queen Shea Butter’. I too want to have a testimony about the goodness of whipped Shea butter.

I’m not a complete heathen I come with my tithes and offering in raw organic unrefined Shea and Mango butters.

My Tentative Goombastic Shea Butter Mix :gorgeous:
Shea Butter
1 tbsp Grapeseed oil
1 tbsp EVCO
1/2. tbsp EVOO
1 tsp Argan oil
1 tsp Tamanu seed oil
10 - 25 drops of Fragrance (P&J Summer Collection premium oils)
*Future batches may or maynot contain Mango butter

:afro: Hair ID
Type: 4B natural
Strand size: fine
Density: Medium/ Normal
Currently length: WSL (straightened)
Hobbies: Tangling & creating fairyknots

At this moment I’m a My Little Pony with big Shea Butter dreams and slid aspirations.
DFE19955-D6F1-4E1E-BC7D-FD5A092FB998.jpeg

I want to become a fearless Shea Butter Unicorn
528B8AE4-2F52-4F37-8144-4FA58FE88F10.jpeg

Last edited:

caribeandiva

Human being
Until now I’ve been fairly agnostic about the gospel of Shea butter. Admittedly I had less than a stellar encounter with Cantu Shea butter leave in conditioning treatment. Born out of that brief encounter came an irrational hatred of Shea butter.

At this moment I’m wondering aimlessly, in the hair desert after a major setback, in May which required a 6 inch trim. I’m looking for an oasis and I’m gonna hoping to join the ‘First Mount LHCF Transformational church of Queen Shea Butter’. I too want to have a testimony about the goodness of whipped Shea butter.

I’m not a complete heathen I come with my tithes and offering in raw organic unrefined Shea and Mango butters.

Shea Butter
1 tbsp Grapeseed oil
1 tbsp EVCO
1/2. tbsp EVOO
1 tsp Argan oil
1 tsp Tamanu oil

At this moment I’m a My Little Pony with big Shea Butter dreams and slid aspirations.
View attachment 432885

View attachment 432887
:lachen::lachen::lachen:You’re hilarious! Welcome

Chicoro

At this moment I’m wondering aimlessly, in the hair desert after a major setback, in May which required a 6 inch trim. I’m looking for an oasis and I’m hoping to join the ‘First Mount LHCF Transformational church of Queen Shea Butter’. I too want to have a testimony about the goodness of whipped Shea butter.

Shea Butter
1 tbsp Grapeseed oil
1 tbsp EVCO
1/2. tbsp EVOO
1 tsp Argan oil
1 tsp Tamanu seed oil

View attachment 432885

View attachment 432887

[Her mix]

Using:
-Unrefined Shea Butter at Room Temperature
-About 1 Tbsp Coconut Oil
-About 1 tsp Olive Oil
-About 1 tsp Castor Oil
-About 1 Tbsp Jojoba Oil
-About 1/2 tsp Vitamin E

Hey! I'm a newbie... would this mix REPLACE the conditioner I normally use?

Welcome to LHCF and to this thread, @Ella Bindula ! Shea butter is a leave in. It is not a conditioner. You still need to have a good conditioner.

Thanks @Chicoro! I was using my conditioner (Aussie moist) as a leave in.... would the mixture be almost as heavy as the conditioner is? I just bought some shea and jojoba online, and some castor oil at a health food store. I can't wait to get started!

Chicoro

Thanks @Chicoro! I was using my conditioner (Aussie moist) as a leave in.... would the mixture be almost as heavy as the conditioner is? I just bought some shea and jojoba online, and some castor oil at a health food store. I can't wait to get started!

The mixture tends to be heavier than a conditioner.

guyaneseyankee

I just wanted to quickly come in and remind those that are making their own batches how for a smooth mix, melting your butter first then refrigerating is imperative for a smooth batch.

I read one post (can't find it now) where they said their's was gritty. I noticed my previous batch when not melted came out gritty. (BUT STILL GOOD)
but this last batch is smooth smooth, smooth.

HTH

I love my shea butter mix ( I used the Cleopatra's Choice shea butter) mixed with olive, coconut and castor oil and fragrance

Chicoro

Okay, we're on the downhill side of this Shea slide thing.

NOW! Is the time get back on your slide.

It can be slow and low...

Or fast and hard.

But if you are going to get to sliding, you better come on!

The end of the year is fast approaching.