Shea Growth And Retention Regimen 2018

Has Shea Butter 'got you'?

• Let me look over my investment portfolio and see if I have room for shea related stocks.

Votes: 21 12.8%
  • I've got 8 pounds in the house, I need to order me some more because I don't want to run out.

Votes: 29 17.7%
  • 1 Day without sealing my ends is just unthinkable.

Votes: 12 7.3%
  • It works for me for now.

Votes: 45 27.4%
  • Nah, I can take it or leave it.

Votes: 12 7.3%
  • Meh, I'm here for the posts.

Votes: 28 17.1%
  • That stuff just weighs down my hair. No thanks!

Votes: 17 10.4%

• Total voters

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
I was away last week and tried to use scurl without shea butter. My hair felt a lot drier. Shea butter for life.

Look at @lalla , she STRAIGHT GANGSTER ya'll!

Last edited:

Chicoro

I use either distilled water or rosewater. I always have them on hand for other purposes in my beauty routine (distilled water for my steamer or soap making....rosewater for a toner).

I usually wash between the 10 and 14 day mark.

I like Ms. Cleo's Shea butter. I mostly like that you can order in bulk and get free shipping. Her Argan oil is also pretty nice too.

@Garner Plus the Shea always seems to be on sale. LOL

Does Cleo ship internationally?

Chicoro

I use yellow shea butter from the beauty supply store. Whipped with a hand mixer with a teaspoon each of JBCO, Avocado Sunflower oil mix and Alma oil until light and fluffy. My hair gets dry and ashy looking after a few days and my scalp is greasy. I usually cornrow my natural hair and wear wigs but on days I don't feel like wigs I will wear two braids. I am happy with the overall products I use for my hair, shea butter has been the only new addition to my regimen since Dec 2017. I am fine with removing it to see there is a difference in my hair.

Do you have paraffin in any of your products, specifically the Amla oil? Also, sunflower oil is very viscose and thick. But, so is castor oil.

NicWhite

I am so happy I found you ladies when I did. :cry2::cry4::crybaby::crying3::cry:. This Shea butter has changed my life and the lives of my mother and children. Don’t worry ladies, these are tears of ours joy. :cry4::cry2::crybaby::crying3: I spent too many years in the entertainment forum with dry hair. :confused: Just a few weeks with you ladies and my hair is starting to look like it makes some sense. :afro: :iloveyou::thankyou:

Chicoro

I'm relaxed and I'm having really good results with my mix. SB, lavender essential oil (10 or so drops), rosemary essential oil (10 or so drops), and a little bit of jojoba. Whip until fluffy!

One of our Hair Unicorns inducted into the Shea-Made Hair Unicorn Hall of Fame, @lalla is relaxed, too. That's how I know that it works on all kinds of hair. I am happy to see that it is working for your relaxed hair as well. That's encouraging for other relaxed ladies, as well! Thanks for sharing @bjade757 !

Chicoro

I subscribed just so that I could thank you ladies for reminding me of the power of Shea butter. I’ve been fumbling through the busiest time of my life and neglecting my fine 4b/a hair too much. I finally found myself with a free 2 hours this morning and did the unthinkable... I began washing my hair 2 hours before going to an 8hour shift in a professional setting. A generous amount of a Shea butter and a few minutes under a satin scarf was all I need to weigh down two pigtail braids to create a passable hair style. My scalp and hair are happy and I’m able to get to work!

Shea butter is REACHING outside of LHCF and pulling 'em in! Hey @Sarabellam ! Shea butter done got you. Shea butter got you doing incredible feats before work: Washing afro-textured hair a few hours before the work shift starts. If that ain't hooked, I don't know what is!

This is how @Sarabellam be waking up, right before she
decided to wash her hair two hours before starting a critically important 8 hour work day:

Last edited:

Chicoro

Sorry I’ve been absent from this thread for a little bit. After watching Black Panther it’s got me all in my feelings and I’ve been spending all of my time in the Black Panther thread as a result. I’m very emotional right now. If y’all haven’t seen this movie, go see it! I did wonder if Wakandans use Shea Butter.

Of course they use Shea butter!

Chicoro

@Lissa0821 - it may be the type/brand of shea butter you're getting from the beauty supply store. You should look at the container to see if any ingredients are listed. I purchase large blocks of SB from an African Dealer who has it shipped from Ghana. The yellow SB I have had the borututu bark added and the whites is pure.

@ilong
Do you feel comfortable sharing your supplier with us?

Chicoro

@Garner,

I usually go anywhere from 1 - 2 weeks between washes but in between, I would do a very warm water rinse in the shower to take some of the butter out of my hair if I take as long as 2 weeks however.

It can get very oily if I take longer than a week to wash my hair. I have about 12 wig caps that I use daily under my wigs. I constantly shampoo them, allow to dry and wear again later.

I have not yet used my cleo patras butter. I am still using up my current batch and won't be ready for making another one for at least another 2-3 weeks I'm sure. When that's done, I will mix another batch using cleo's shea butter.

I have been sick and couldn't do my hair on schedule. So, it's going to be a long-haul for me, too, in between washes. I am happy my Shea butter is infused with essential oils. Those will help to keep my scalp clean along with the Shea butter.

Chicoro

I am so happy I found you ladies when I did. :cry2::cry4::crybaby::crying3::cry:. This Shea butter has changed my life and the lives of my mother and children. Don’t worry ladies, these are tears of ours joy. :cry4::cry2::crybaby::crying3: I spent too many years in the entertainment forum with dry hair. :confused: Just a few weeks with you ladies and my hair is starting to look like it makes some sense. :afro: :iloveyou::thankyou:

Shea butter is touching lives!

All fun aside, I am happy to hear that the health of your hair is transforming. Bravo!

Chicoro

Sorry I’ve been absent from this thread for a little bit. After watching Black Panther it’s got me all in my feelings and I’ve been spending all of my time in the Black Panther thread as a result. I’m very emotional right now. If y’all haven’t seen this movie, go see it! I did wonder if Wakandans use Shea Butter.

You've got an update to share little lady, now don't you? Hmm.....come with it!

Chicoro

Yes, here's the International shipping info:

View attachment 425117

Looks as if DHL might be the cheapest route at around $4.94 to ship, however with a 2-3 week arrival time.

Happy shopping! @Chicoro

Thank you!

It would be 75 dollars for shipping , for 10 pounds @ 53.00 dollars. The shipping would cost 25 more than the product. I need to find someone in France. This is good to know. There is need to be filled here in France.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
@ElevatedEnergy I have used the yellow shea butter from Ms. Cleo (for body care mostly and to mix for Deep treatments) and it melts in your hands w/o problems. Do you find that with the Ivory?
I have ordered Argan and Rose hip seed oil from her site as well, both with positive results. I love sales too!!!

Oh yes, the ivory melts beautifully when you rub it in. It is just a tad bit grainy but that goes away the more you rub. You will not regret it if you decide to purchase. I've never tried the yellow Shea butter and have no desire to because I've always been so wowed by Ivory. I have around 16 plus pounds in my stash, and if my contact from Ghana can help me get my hands on more; I plan on ordering 10-20 more pounds from Africa. After that, I'll just do 1 big bulk order annually.

I make my own rosehip oil so though I was tempted to try it, I passed it up. I have so much rose stuff....rose hips, rosehip powder, rose petals, rose petal powder...just rose errthang!!! LOL

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
I subscribed just so that I could thank you ladies for reminding me of the power of Shea butter. I’ve been fumbling through the busiest time of my life and neglecting my fine 4b/a hair too much. I finally found myself with a free 2 hours this morning and did the unthinkable... I began washing my hair 2 hours before going to an 8hour shift in a professional setting. A generous amount of a Shea butter and a few minutes under a satin scarf was all I need to weigh down two pigtail braids to create a passable hair style. My scalp and hair are happy and I’m able to get to work!

Welcome to the forum! @Sarabellam Queen Shea welcomes you home. Slide on in....we got you!

GreenSneakyGeese-max-1mb.gif

Lissa0821

@Lissa0821 - it may be the type/brand of shea butter you're getting from the beauty supply store. You should look at the container to see if any ingredients are listed. I purchase large blocks of SB from an African Dealer who has it shipped from Ghana. The yellow SB I have had the borututu bark added and the whites is pure.

It's yellow Shea butter, the label reads 100% African Shea butter. The ingredintes are 100% unrefined Shea butter.

Chicoro

The alma oil is just mineral oil and alma. You make a good point, I may need to use different oils to mix with my Shea butter in the future.

Shea butter doesn't mix well with paraffin and petroleum. You may want to nix that amla oil with the paraffin and kick that stuff to the curb. Mineral oil is paraffin. I'm not a mineral oil hater because I used to love me some Vaseline slathered on my hair. But, I know that Shea butter and Vaseline/mineral oil/paraffin do not mix.

I encourage you to give Shea butter another go round, without the mineral oil. You may need to clarify your hair really well so that there's no residual build-up. You want to give Shea a fair chance.

Chicoro

Announcement: Shea and Mineral Oil Do Not Mix Well!
Mixing Shea butter with Mineral Oil based products may create a gray cast and put build-up on the hair. I forgot about this until I re-read @Lissa0821 's post.

This was ANOTHER part of the reason I used to be a Shea butter hater. I used to think Shea butter coated my hair, too. Back then, I was using Vaseline on my hair. Shea butter and mineral oil do not mix.

The problem is not Shea, it's the mineral oil. The result may be dull, coated hair.

(Look out for: Vaseline/paraffin/paraffin wax/mineral oil/petroleum, etc)

Last edited: