Shea Growth And Retention Regimen 2018

Has Shea Butter 'got you'?

• Let me look over my investment portfolio and see if I have room for shea related stocks.

Votes: 21 12.8%
  • I've got 8 pounds in the house, I need to order me some more because I don't want to run out.

Votes: 29 17.7%
  • 1 Day without sealing my ends is just unthinkable.

Votes: 12 7.3%
  • It works for me for now.

Votes: 45 27.4%
  • Nah, I can take it or leave it.

Votes: 12 7.3%
  • Meh, I'm here for the posts.

Votes: 28 17.1%
  • That stuff just weighs down my hair. No thanks!

Votes: 17 10.4%

• Total voters

caribeandiva

Human being
My Hair Is BACK!!!!!!!​

View attachment 440327

I'm finally back to the length I had in 2011! In 2012 I did a butcher trim/cut I did to my hair, myself by accident. :cry3: I was so embarrassed and ashamed that I had so stupidly and unconsciously, cut off my hair.

My hair was cut back to around bra-strap length. Bra-strap is a great length. That is not my point. My point is I had worked so hard to get to hip length and cut it off. I was trying to 'learn how to self-trim'. Trimming is NOT one of my skills and I have resigned myself to the fact that it is NOT WORTH experimenting on my own hair.

Time it takes to find a stylist I trust to trim my hair:
  • 1 to 6 months in time.
  • 80 dollars in price.
Time it takes to fix my hair because I didn't trust a stylist and wanted to save money:
  • 6 years!!!!!!!!!!
  • Over $2,000 dollars EASY

BUT...

:stop: Don't cry for me Argentina!

BECAUSE: I would have NEVER tried Shea butter again had this never happened!!!!!

The incredible blessing in all of this is: It was because of cutting my hair BACK to my bra-strap, by accident, and a host of other set-backs, that I turned in desperation :blush2:
to the kiss of life, :smooches: :smooches: that we call, the Queen herself, " Shea butter".

My braided, un-straightened hair is now LONGER than my hair in 2011 in a loose, pressed state.

In the 2011 photo I have on my little gray shorts and it is covering my behind. In the 2018 photo, my hand is covering my behind because the area that splits is exposed. My point is to communicate that my braided hair is longer than the loosened hair.

The waist band of those gray shorts is raised higher than the waistband of my thermal underwear. Thus, my hair hangs longer in a BRAID than it did when pressed out. Now, if I want to be a petty nitpicker, which I'm trying to leave behind in 2019, I can see that my head is falling forward more in the 2011 photo and falling more back in the 2018 photo. BUT STILL!

My longest EVER hair was in 2012, but the ends today looking nothing like the ends in this 2012 photo:

Interestingly, you'll notice the waist band of my shorts, in the 2012 photo, is pulled all the way up around my waist like that of an old man.

Exhibit: A

I don't think my hair in the 2012 photo was much longer than the hair in the 2011 photo. I think it was in the 'thickening' stage, at the same length. That is why I don't think I have ever considered myself to have been at tail bone length until now.

My unbraided, pulled hair of today, is longer than my straightened hair of 2011 and probably of 2012.

The great thing is that all the old hair was cut to around bra-strap. So, the
hair ends I have now have are younger and a have a chance to be super GREAT!
If you hadn’t had that setback you’d have never eventually help me out with Shea butter. Alongside the countless others you’ve helped in this thread. I’d still be struggling with my hair for who knows how long? Everything happens for a GOOD reason.

frizzy

How is one diagnosed with this? I was convinced I had them because my mom did, and when I say my periods are heavy and painful it's no joke. But no doctor has found anything, they said they needed to do a laproscopy and I didn't trust that. My current gyn just says 'you just have bad periods' and I'm like.... ok, you gonna write that on my sick leave note once a month? -_-

Not that it isn't possible, but yeesh, I rarely see that as a factual diagnosis for all the issues I have.
I think my diagnosis was after surgery for an ectopic pregnancy...so long ago. And my fibroids never caused me pain, just heavy periods. Go figure.

caribeandiva

Human being
I initially wasn’t going to post a pic, but my sister @caribeandiva said I should. I don’t normally take progress pictures ... (I know... I know)... but I just happened to find this pic I took last month. I wish I wore the same shirt on both... well, I’ll have to wear it for my next update I guess. I rarely wear my hair out. I’m in wigs 99% of the time (It just makes my life easier that way).
@Chicoro You missed a unicorn!

sunflora

Flowah Powah
How much water do you drink per day? When I started drinking a gallon of water a day, my periods got a lot easier! Way less cramps, clots, and lighter in general. I told that to my doctor next time I saw him. He didn’t look surprised at all. He said that he wishes there was a study done on it. I guess he couldn’t tell me before because of that.

I drink at least a gallon, more when I work out and I work out very frequently (most of the time :look:). Unfortunately, none of this seems to help. :/

sunflora

Flowah Powah
Weird indeed. I wonder if the issue is psychosomatic then. Meaning a physical manifestation or response to a stressful situation in your life.

My life itself. Lol.

The symptoms were notably less when I was on antidepressants. So to say, I had probably what a normal female period is like; uncomfortable but not debilitating. So since you mention that, it does make me wonder.

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
I initially wasn’t going to post a pic, but my sister @caribeandiva said I should. I don’t normally take progress pictures ... (I know... I know)... but I just happened to find this pic I took last month. I wish I wore the same shirt on both... well, I’ll have to wear it for my next update I guess. I rarely wear my hair out. I’m in wigs 99% of the time (It just makes my life easier that way).

I, Chicoro nominate and induct @bellebebe into the Shea Made Hair Unicorn Hall of Fame, this 29th day of December, 2018. Outted in the post #4038 with her photo showing .75 to 1 inch of growth in 30 days time.

@caribeandiva , do your thing!

icsonia22

This thread has been vital to my hair journey this year. Even though I did somewhat of a big chop, the power of Shea butter has reduced my breakage significantly by allowing shed hairs to slide out instead of causing single strand knots. Layering it on top of Luster's s curl has taken my moisture levels to uncharted territory. Now I'm using Shea butter on blown out hair, and my hair feels phenomenal. I can't thank you ladies enough for all of the invaluable información.

Chicoro

Want to start not only your day, but also your YEAR off right? Join us for the 2019 Shea Growth and Retention Challenge of 2019! Eat your Unicorn Flakes
and use some butter and you, too, can grow up to be a
Shea Made Hair Unicorn!​

Last edited:

Chicoro

This thread has been vital to my hair journey this year. Even though I did somewhat of a big chop, the power of Shea butter has reduced my breakage significantly by allowing shed hairs to slide out instead of causing single strand knots. Layering it on top of Luster's s curl has taken my moisture levels to uncharted territory. Now I'm using Shea butter on blown out hair, and my hair feels phenomenal. I can't thank you ladies enough for all of the invaluable información.

Congratulations on your success! That big chopped hair may be the start of tail bone length curls.

Chicoro

View attachment 440495 View attachment 440497 Checking in for the end of the year. I've worn my hair in box braids and feed in braids since June. I slather my hair with Shea before I get it braided.

I didn't get great photos before I got it redone but March pic and December pictures are below.

Looking good @ArrrBeee ! It looks like your hair is 2x or TWICE as long as before. How many inches would you say your retained between the two photos?

It looks like about 2 to 4 inches to me. That's a lot of retention.

Will you be joining us in the Shea Growth and Retention Challenge 2019? I hope so!

Chicoro

Thanks @Chicoro. I'll be joining you all. I think that I retained about 2-3 inches. My hair feels healthy but I still get knots on my ends.

I whipped up a fresh batch today but it's grainy and I don't know how to remedy that.

Put a boiler on the stove and put some water in it. Put your batch of grainy Shea butter in a heat proof bowl and put that bowl inside the boiler, on low heat. Melt down your butter completely to a liquid. Then put it in the fridge until it is solid. Then, once it's solidified, whip it again with more oil. That should remove the graininess.

Chicoro

View attachment 440495 View attachment 440497 Checking in for the end of the year. I've worn my hair in box braids and feed in braids since June. I slather my hair with Shea before I get it braided.

I didn't get great photos before I got it redone but March pic and December pictures are below.

Be sure, if you feel like it, to post these pictures in the 2019 thread. They are very inspirational and encouraging. And, they can serve as the 'before' picture for your 2019 end of year process.