Shea Growth And Retention Regimen 2019

What is the length barrier you would like to break through in 2019, with Shea butter's help?

• Top of shoulder length

Votes: 18 10.2%
  • Collar bone length

Votes: 10 5.6%
  • Armpit length

• Between armpit and bra strap length

Votes: 36 20.3%
  • Bra strap length

Votes: 28 15.8%
  • Between bra strap and waist length

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • Waist length

Votes: 35 19.8%
  • Whip length

Votes: 12 6.8%
  • Hip length

Votes: 10 5.6%
  • Tailbone length

• Total voters

keranikki

Natural, 3abc/4a, Fine, medium density
Ladies, how are you baselining your hair length? How do you initially measure your hair? Do you keep visual, photo records? Do you measure? Do you keep a journal? How often do you measure?

How do you realize/know that you have had growth????????

I use photos to measure growth. My goal is to have more hang time when my hair is in its curly state. Photos help me to see the difference in growth and thickness. I take photos with my hair straight, curly, and from different angles.

Aggie

I love it. Got the recipe from RealQueensRegimen/MikaLishauna years ago (I don't think she's on social media or youtube anymore). She did 8oz of shea mixed with 1/4C glycerin. It always leaves my hair super duper soft. I use it without a leave in. It doesn't separate and I've never run into issues with spoilage.
Girl I was right here thinking how to use up the rest of this glycerin I have. Thanks for the idea @water_n_oil

Pygmy_puff

Excited for my wash/trim/blowout tomorrow morning! I’ve never been to this salon before, I sure hope they don’t jack up my hair!!! I’m going on a trip to Nashville this weekend. I’m a little concerned for my blowout because there’s supposed to be some rain??

This week I’ve kept my hair stretched in one big braid for work, gently rebraiding every night with some good ol’ s-curl and a touch of Shea butter! I hope the stylist tomorrow doesn’t judge me for how greasy my hair is LOL.

fluffyforever

I washed and braided my hair last night. I lost so much hair in the combing process I almost wanted to cry. My hair didn't even seem that tangled, but I have to comb at least once per month to remove shed hairs because my fingers aren't enough. My first problem was that the day before I did a wet bun on loose hair which is something I should never do. No excuse, but I was in a rush. My second problem is that before I did the wet bun, I let my hair get dry and I didn't moisturize or stretch my hair in about 2 weeks. I know better than to do that!

Anyway, I think I'm going to do 2-4 braids until my birthday in April as a protective challenge. I just want to thicken my hair before growing it. I'm positive Queen Shea will help heal and protect the fragile hair I have left.

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
I washed and braided my hair last night. I lost so much hair in the combing process I almost wanted to cry. My hair didn't even seem that tangled, but I have to comb at least once per month to remove shed hairs because my fingers aren't enough. My first problem was that the day before I did a wet bun on loose hair which is something I should never do. No excuse, but I was in a rush. My second problem is that before I did the wet bun, I let my hair get dry and I didn't moisturize or stretch my hair in about 2 weeks. I know better than to do that!

Anyway, I think I'm going to do 2-4 braids until my birthday in April as a protective challenge. I just want to thicken my hair before growing it. I'm positive Queen Shea will help heal and protect the fragile hair I have left.

I'm sorry about your lost hair. It seems like you know the source of the issue and how to avoid or resolve it for the next time. Plus Queen Shea got your back, now.

sunflora

Flowah Powah
Washed my hair today, Friday is wash day but it was just so greasy. This time, I tried using plain yellow shea. Enough to fit on my finger tips, melted it in my hands then rubbed my hands over each section. The exact same method I use with whipped shea. So I'll see how my hair likes it. I also only finger detangled one side while I used a brush on the other side like I normally do. I think I get more breakage from brushes than I realize, so I;ll see if my right side ends up tangled to all heck or not and then re-evaluate the need to use the denman before braiding.

Chicoro

Help, my hair is way too greasy yet dry/rough feeling!

Is it possible that the shea butter is just sitting on top of my hair? My scarf is greasy, my pillowcase is greasy, the towel I put over my pillow is greasy yet my hair does not feel soft...... help!

What is your process exactly, please? Please include all your products and the steps you took. If you used conditioner, please tell us the name.

CurliDiva

Hi @Sunflora and @Chicoro,

Thanks for reaching out!

My first issue is that I did not think about how to incorporate shea butter. I bought two containers (one chucky and the other creamy) at my local bss less than two weeks ago. I only used the creamy one so far....I was too excited!

That first day I just warmed some up by rubbing my hands together and applied to my old cornrows.

A few days later, I sprayed my braids with Scurl and applied Shea butter.

I tried using after my excel 21 spray - I can't when.

Shea butter seems to just sit on my hair, so I unraveled my cornrows and need to remove lots of shed hairs. I can say that I never applied a thick amount of Shea butter.

I put my hair into two Dutch braids and shampooed (L'Oreal Elvive) and conditioned (Aussie 3-minute Miracle).

Then I applied it directly to the length of my strands to make sure all of the shed hair was removed. I usually just use factor oil which works fine soften my hair.

I'm not sure what made the one container 'creamy' - there was no ingredients listed. Can shea butter be whipped alone for a smoother texture?

Another big problem is my hair routine is very reactive. I tend to wait until my hair is 'insert' (.......matted, dry, dirty, loose braids, etc) before doing something instead of having a regular schedule for proactive maintenance.

I just made an inventory of all of my hair products for the use-up-your-stash challenge, so need to figure a routine for scheduled care and write it down to keep track.

I'm natural (4a/b) and keep hair in plaits under wig.

Last edited:

sunflora

Flowah Powah
@CurliDiva are you natural or relaxed? What is your hair type/porosity?

My [personal, from my experience] recommendations:

Don't warm up/melt shea butter before using. You will use too much, absolutely. The state that it is in when you initially apply it changes as it returns to room temperature. This can result in unintentionally using too much. I promise, I've done this before - even my skin doesn't like melted shea butter. I look like I'm getting ready for an X-rated wrestling match.

Did you use a leave in after you washed and conditioned? I don't think some people need a leave in, but I personally have never applied it directly to hair without a leave in first. IMO, it's a sealant and a penetrating oil, so while I can use it on dry hair, I like to have something nice and slippery underneath. Then I like to add a bit of oil on top to loosen it up (as it can feel waxy) so that I can manipulate my hair afterwards.

I don't recommend applying shea butter (or really anything other than oil or conditioner) to dirty hair. Everything sits on dirty hair, for the most part, unless it has water as the first ingredient, and even still... I believe the most beneficial product application occurs on clean hair. I think perhaps using shea butter before you braid could make detangling easier after wards, but I wouldn't try to detangle hair with shea butter. I like to use warm oil and slide the shed hairs out with my hand, then add conditioner (still dry hair) and finish de-shedding in the shower. This is all before shampooing of course.

Lastly, it may simply just not work for you, and there's nothing wrong with that. Yes, you can whip shea butter alone for a smoother texture. I would never put anything in my hair that has no ingredients listed. Or on my skin, or anywhere in my general vicinity. You just don't know what's going on with that. If it was marketed as a body cream, it could have water as a main ingredient, and I've read a lot of people don't like water-based leave-ins with shea butter at all! (I stay away from them, personally, they make my hair atrociously greasy). Even body butters that just have other oils in them make them greasy.

Anyhow, if you want to give it one last attempt, I would suggest starting at the bare minimum. I'm a fan of making one small change to my regimen at a time so that I can figure out what works and what doesn't work. So you could, for starters, try only using it on the last couple of inches of your wet hair as a sealant. I think it is beneficial to most people that way, even some Caucasian hair types enjoy using a dab of shea butter this way so that it is not so greasy and heavy. Then, see how that goes and re-evaluate.

I hope some of that helps. ^_^

water_n_oil

5lbs of shea arriving Sunday.

PlanetCybertron

Washed my hair yesterday. The weather is about to change back into this humid, hot, Texas weather, and my scalp is becoming sensitive again. Completely forgot about the SM shampoo I have. It isn’t a strong cleanser but it’s gentle enough to get my scalp clean.

Pre-poo: Cone serum from ears down, finger separate/detangle
Wash: CWC method
Protein treatment
Deep condition

T shirt dry, applied leave ins, light coating of Shea Butter mixed with Cupuaçu Butter I received online. Mixed it with some water just to cut the thickness down. Split my hair in half, two braids on the bottom, one big Bantu knot on the top half, wrapped my braids around the Knot. I put on my satin bonnet, made a head wrap from my favorite scarf and put on my hair bow. Haven’t taken my wrap off since last night, had work today, and I’m sure as heck not taking it off tomorrow.

divinefavor

Good Morning! I’m about to get a blow out and trim this morning. I hope she doesn’t whack all of my hair off. Hopefully, I will be able to share a pic or two. If I like the blow out, I will keep my hair out for two weeks before getting my next crochet bob install. I’m excited to start using Shea Butter a little more. I’m going to stop by the BSS after I get my hair done and pick up some shea butter. Where do you all purchase yours from online? My Ghanaian friend used to send me some when she lived in London. Everytime she went home to visit she would take a bunch back to London with her. But now that she’s back living in Ghana it’s too expensive for her to ship it here to the states now.

Chicoro

Good Morning! I’m about to get a blow out and trim this morning. I hope she doesn’t whack all of my hair off. Hopefully, I will be able to share a pic or two. If I like the blow out, I will keep my hair out for two weeks before getting my next crochet bob install. I’m excited to start using Shea Butter a little more. I’m going to stop by the BSS after I get my hair done and pick up some shea butter. Where do you all purchase yours from online? My Ghanaian friend used to send me some when she lived in London. Everytime she went home to visit she would take a bunch back to London with her. But now that she’s back living in Ghana it’s too expensive for her to ship it here to the states now.

It depends. Do you want to order online or buy it locally? Try your local BSS. If you are not finding what you want there, let us know. Between the 287 of us in this thread, we will be able to for sure provide some options to you!

Chicoro

Sometimes I don't want to try anymore because I'm so tired of failing or falling short of my goal.

But then I remind myself that a failure is nothing but information telling me how not to do things next time so I can be more successful in the future. And the lightbulb goes on!

That's guidance right? That's like a mentor. So, one way to look at is, with each failure you create a new mentor. The more mentors you have, the more your probability of success increases! Hey, alright now!