Shea Growth And Retention Regimen 2019

What is the length barrier you would like to break through in 2019, with Shea butter's help?

• Top of shoulder length

Votes: 18 10.2%
  • Collar bone length

Votes: 10 5.6%
  • Armpit length

• Between armpit and bra strap length

Votes: 36 20.3%
  • Bra strap length

Votes: 28 15.8%
  • Between bra strap and waist length

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • Waist length

Votes: 35 19.8%
  • Whip length

Votes: 12 6.8%
  • Hip length

Votes: 10 5.6%
  • Tailbone length

• Total voters

TamaraShaniece

Ayurvedic Life
I’ve never been a fan of raw shea butter on my hair. It was too heavy for my strands, collected tons of dust, and made my hair look dull. Also prevented moisture from getting to my hair.

After trying a whipped shea butter mix (Belle Bar Organics Marrakesh Butter) I fell in love with how a little went a long way and made my hair super soft. After trying the loc method on two strand twists, I knew I could achieve APL. My hair is no longer rough and hard after sealing w/ shea butter. I can retain length.

Step 1
6EE004B1-B9F9-4DD2-B1EE-CE2D1FC9A82D.jpeg

Step 2 & 3
74467C31-32C6-4DE6-A502-02DB953E7AD5.jpeg

Step 4 (I prefer whipped)
96F42FF8-1BD0-4A7A-93CD-DB9FC7B47A7A.jpeg

Last edited:

Atthatday

Every knee shall bow...
Here are some pics from when I had my color retouched and straightened my hair in the fall.
View attachment 440365

For some reason I can’t upload the other pics. I retained more than I expected and I believe it’s due to me using Shea. I have not been as vigilant with my hair, but I do moisturize and seal, which has made all the difference.

Your color is boss!!!!

ItsMeLilLucky

NotLucky no mo' just blessed.
Sorry y’all, I got distracted lol. I wish Sam’s Beauty would have another sale.

Welp, here’s my pictures: the short hair is when I started experimenting with Shea (in June almost a month after I cut my hair), but I had decided to wait until I got a bit more length. The longer picture is from earlier this month.

Saga

The Generous Queen
Y'all can see my progress pics in my siggy, but I will repost it in the body of this entry at a later time.

I think if I have the same growth/retention rate I did last year then I might finally be able to achieve WSL by next December.
I have already made six batches of whipped shea so it can last me the rest of the winter months :gorgeous::afropick:
I plan to stay in PS's year round, with a few breaks in between just for my hair to breathe and my edges to rest.

Right now my hair is up in some loose chunky twists pulled into a lazy bun. I plan on buying some braiding hair and doing box braids within the next two weeks or so.

PlanetCybertron

Mmmmm.... why not. I want one of those awards lol.

Me and Shea Butter have been....friends with benefits. In other words. I’ve never had it as a permananet staple in my regimen, and for the majority of my hair journey It never clicked to put it in my hair. I would always just put it on my skin.

Since I’ve started putting Shea in my hair, I have to whip it, or melt it down, whip it, and cut it with an oil. I typically use almond oil. Due to its thick texture, just trying to put Raw Shea Butter on my hair actually breaks it. No blame on Shea Butter, or my hair, I just have hair that is that fine and delicate of a texture.

I don’t particularly see any added growth, but hands down, the fatty acids from Shea Butter do an amazing job of getting my high porosity hair, to hold more moisture. Magic starts to happen if I combine it with a WO wash routine for some days.

I’ve also been wanting to try MuruMuru Butter. Kind of like Shea Butter’s cousin. We will see.

Concerning my regimen, if anything, I’m wanting to try an extended WO washing routine. Just to see what happens.

Silverstreaks

I’m in for 2019. Hope to break some new barriers. Like reaching a longer length with fuller ends. Whipped up another batch of Shea deep conditioner. I applied and used a heating cap, left on for a half hour. Rinsed and applied my diy instant conditioner. I’m now retwisting my hair, using my fenugreek detangling spray and sealing with my diy oil. Hair is feeling really nice so far.

Saga

The Generous Queen
I’m in for 2019. Hope to break some new barriers. Like reaching a longer length with fuller ends. Whipped up another batch of Shea deep conditioner. I applied and used a heating cap, left on for a half hour. Rinsed and applied my diy instant conditioner. I’m now retwisting my hair, using my fenugreek detangling spray and sealing with my diy oil. Hair is feeling really nice so far.
Saaaaaame

Daina

@Chicoro definitely on the Shea train for 2019 thanks for the tag sis and for agreeing to host again!

I have to take a look back and grab some pics over the last year to 18 months. I know that I was MBL in late Oct. of 2016. I was lurking the HL thread @ElevatedEnergy started and wasn't going to join as I didn't think I would make WL let alone HL in that challenge. She encouraged me and in the fall of 2017 I found shea butter. Didn't know how to make it work for me and like many others wrote it off because I thought it dried out my hair. Then along came the Shea Butter challenge thread and I started reading and learning and mixing my own!:eek: I figured out how to use it for my hair and have never looked back. I now make jars for family and friends. I'm a Shea Suga fo life!!!!

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
@Chicoro definitely on the Shea train for 2019 thanks for the tag sis and for agreeing to host again!

I have to take a look back and grab some pics over the last year to 18 months. I know that I was MBL in late Oct. of 2016. I was lurking the HL thread @ElevatedEnergy started and wasn't going to join as I didn't think I would make WL let alone HL in that challenge. She encouraged me and in the fall of 2017 I found shea butter. Didn't know how to make it work for me and like many others wrote it off because I thought it dried out my hair. Then along came the Shea Butter challenge thread and I started reading and learning and mixing my own!:eek: I figured out how to use it for my hair and have never looked back. I now make jars for family and friends. I'm a Shea Suga fo life!!!!

@Daina said:

"I'm a Shea Suga fo life!!!!"

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Adding another Shea product to my 2019 arsenal. It's an Herbal Shea Scalp Cream. I already use Shea from roots to the ends, but I've never rubbed it on my scalp. I'll mainly use it on the days leading up to wash day or as an overnight scalp prepoo treatment, just to see how my scalp responds. I have my hair in a low bun with a side part, so I put a tiny amount on the part last night....that area feels good this morning.

I went to my lil Herb Apothecary closet & found some coconut oil that I had been steeping in herbs since May. I don't know everything in it, but just by looking at it....I can see some sage leaves, lavender flowers, fenugreek seeds, rosemary, mustard seeds, Horsetail & Nettle. In the smaller bottle, I had been steeping some Ricebran & Meadowfoam Seed oil in some Ayurvedic Powders & some other herbs. Again....don't remember all of them....but I see some Rosehips & bamboo leaves. (I really need to do better bout writing this kind of stuff down. I just be throwing herbs in oil lke a herbal gumbo. LOL) Essential Oils used: Rosemary & Geranium.

20181229_130827-486x648.jpg

For my Regular whipped Shea butter, I use a half oil/half shea ratio & whip for 8-10 minutes.
For this scalp treatment, I went lighter on the Shea & heavier on the oils. I used 2 parts oil, 1 part shea...& set my standing mixer to cream instead of the whip mode. Let it run for around 2 minutes. My goal was a very light yet creamy result. I think I achieved it.

IMAG4840.jpg

It melts as soon as I touch it....was a struggle to take this pic. :lachen:

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing

@Daina I call bootie length for you next! :bdance:

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing

Saaaaaame

Add this to the Shea prayer warriors for me too. Amen, Amen & Amen again.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
@ElevatedEnergy ,

Le yum! How often will you be applying the cream to your scalp per week?

I'm thinking I'll just start with once a week to see how my scalp responds. I usually stretch my washes anywhere from 3 weeks (roller sets) or 4 weeks plus (straight hair). So since I'm not washing that often, I don't want to over apply it or feel forced to wash before my normal wash routine should I happen to get build up. Don't want to rock the boat too much. LOL....just give it a little Shea nudge.

Chicoro

Well, 2019 marks the start of year # 3 of my Shea butter hair journey. I've been on the Shea train for two (2) years now.

Waist length for me was around 17 to 19 inches. I've never been at 25 and 26 inches before in my life, which is where I am today in my crown area.

I'm anticipating 2019 to be the year where my hair feets :walking::walking::walking::walking::walking::walking: go to greater distances and drop to greater lengths, too. The possibility exists that I'll grow about 6 inches of hair in 2019. Even if I only retain 3 inches, I'll still be at lengths I've never seen before.

Here's to breaking length barriers: Load up on the Shea butter and fill up the glasses!

Sarabellam

I’m in for the next year!

I’m planning to use shea butter consistently for the next year and beyond.

I’m still traveling with family but once I settle in for 2019 I’ll post my starting pics.

I have been encorporating GHE with a warm winter hat at night after being inspired by @Chicoro. It makes me feel so comfy at night. My husband likes a much cooler bedroom than I do so we meet somewhere in the middle. Have a soothing warm scalp quickly reach “self care” status. I simply spray a bit of water mixed with eo. Shea butter makes it so that I don’t feel the need to reapply anything at night.

syrk

Hoping to become a shea made unicorn in 2019. Thank you @SunkissedLife for pointing me towards the 2018 thread a few weeks ago.

I swapped the castor oil that I was using to seal my twists with almond oil and shea butter and I am loving it.

I wore mostly twist outs for the last year and was struggling with single strand knots. Because of how sticky castor oil is, I think it was making my hair tangle up on itself more. It would be a mess by the end of the week. The swap to shea butter is looking promising. It helps my ends to clump more and stay together and I also realized that I'm better off not separating the twists as much so it stays clumped which means less chance of tangling and knotting.

The plan is to also protective style more in 2019. With that combined with shea, I have no doubt that I'll be able to retain a few inches of healthy length :D

For my first batch, I just grabbed a jar of Now brand shea butter from Vitamin Shoppe because I was anxious to get started. It was grainy, but I whipped it with some almond oil and it's doing the job. Haven't gotten through that batch yet, but I couldn't help myself and ordered some better quality stuff from 3CayG. So excited, probably going to keep it simple and whip it up with some sweet almond oil and jojoba.

Thanks @Chicoro for this thread!

flyygirlll2

Lioness mane
I’m in for 2019! :D

I’ve been using Shea Butter all year. I prefer it whipped. I use it all over my hair but really concentrate more on the ends since I get ssk’s. I’ve been making Shea Butter blends for friends and coworkers and they really it. I wear my hair in twists a majority of the time and will continue to do so in the new year. Hopefully I will make HL next year. Just a few pics from this year.
E564CF26-EEE7-409C-8FC6-F0C0F11C1635.jpeg DD25E57B-40CE-4F70-8627-3DC51E6D0CB8.jpeg 318AE7C7-9DF7-4873-9D45-7B1D8506CB46.jpeg F092F704-06B7-415F-A2ED-0265D9E732AE.jpeg

MarieB

I'm in. I was a lax wannabe in 2018, but I had a lot of other things going on. I am down for growth and retention in 2019: Health and length, and all your pictures are giving me life and inspiration! Good luck, everyone!

ItsMeLilLucky

NotLucky no mo' just blessed.
I wore My upart wig w/FrankenCap sewed in nd surprisingly my ends still feel nice. I thought my limit was 3 days, but I didn’t have anything covering my head when I wore the upart. I still feel some of Shea on my ends, although not as much as before. I think this is day four or five.

Chicoro

@flyygirlll2

I think you can make hip length this year. Especially, if you have figured out your regimen where you are not getting any breakage. Hip length for you looks like about 3 to 4 inches. Thus, you have a good chance to get some hairs there. As I always say, if one hair can get there, so can the rest!

Chicoro

I wore My upart wig w/FrankenCap sewed in nd surprisingly my ends still feel nice. I thought my limit was 3 days, but I didn’t have anything covering my head when I wore the upart. I still feel some of Shea on my ends, although not as much as before. I think this is day four or five.

Wow, five (5) days of moisturized hair with Shea?!

Chicoro

I’m in for the next year!

I’m planning to use shea butter consistently for the next year and beyond.

I’m still traveling with family but once I settle in for 2019 I’ll post my starting pics.

I have been encorporating GHE with a warm winter hat at night after being inspired by @Chicoro. It makes me feel so comfy at night. My husband likes a much cooler bedroom than I do so we meet somewhere in the middle. Have a soothing warm scalp quickly reach “self care” status. I simply spray a bit of water mixed with eo. Shea butter makes it so that I don’t feel the need to reapply anything at night.

@Sarabellam
I like waking up with a warm, slightly moist head, too!

Chicoro

Hoping to become a shea made unicorn in 2019. Thank you @SunkissedLife for pointing me towards the 2018 thread a few weeks ago.

I swapped the castor oil that I was using to seal my twists with almond oil and shea butter and I am loving it.

I wore mostly twist outs for the last year and was struggling with single strand knots. Because of how sticky castor oil is, I think it was making my hair tangle up on itself more. It would be a mess by the end of the week. The swap to shea butter is looking promising. It helps my ends to clump more and stay together and I also realized that I'm better off not separating the twists as much so it stays clumped which means less chance of tangling and knotting.

The plan is to also protective style more in 2019. With that combined with shea, I have no doubt that I'll be able to retain a few inches of healthy length :D

For my first batch, I just grabbed a jar of Now brand shea butter from Vitamin Shoppe because I was anxious to get started. It was grainy, but I whipped it with some almond oil and it's doing the job. Haven't gotten through that batch yet, but I couldn't help myself and ordered some better quality stuff from 3CayG. So excited, probably going to keep it simple and whip it up with some sweet almond oil and jojoba.

Thanks @Chicoro for this thread!

@syrk
Good luck with your hair and Shea butter in 2019!