Shea Growth And Retention Regimen 2019

What is the length barrier you would like to break through in 2019, with Shea butter's help?

• Top of shoulder length

Votes: 18 10.2%
  • Collar bone length

Votes: 10 5.6%
  • Armpit length

• Between armpit and bra strap length

Votes: 36 20.3%
  • Bra strap length

Votes: 28 15.8%
  • Between bra strap and waist length

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • Waist length

Votes: 35 19.8%
  • Whip length

Votes: 12 6.8%
  • Hip length

Votes: 10 5.6%
  • Tailbone length

• Total voters

SunkissedLife

basking in the sun
Last night I used a Ayurvedic shampoo bar thoroughly rinsed and let air dry. Then sprayed each section with avj and slathered on Shea butter and braided. I had 13 total: 3 on each side in the front, 3 at the crown, and 4 in the back/bottom section.

Still have about half a tub of Shea butter and looking forward to whipping up my next batch.

SN: I’m gone ONE month and already at 900 posts?! The mystical magical power of Shea Butter baby!!

PlanetCybertron

Excellent notes and great thinking on your feet about a natural emulsion. Another option too that may be less work (who doesnt love a good short cut?!) would be while you are melting down your Shea, add a a dallop of creamed honey to melt down with it. Once melted and the Oatmilk has been combined, stick all of it in the freezer for around 10 minutes so the honey/shea will start to crystallize. Then whip it. It should stay emulsified for a full day. Beeswax would make it stay even longer (a few days) but I hate working with beeswax & it sticks to the hair like glue. (Well my hair at least)

I really hopes this provides soothing to your scalp. Scalp issues are no joke!

I’ll take note of that. As I do want to have this same formula in a thicker state. I do like it in the liquid state for washing, but it would be awesome to use it multiple steps in different phases.

And I agree about the beeswax. It breaks my already fragile hair even when mixed with something to stretch it out.

I do think this will help tremendously. But I’m coming to the realization I might have to switch to mostly handmade or Ayurvedic stuff. My scalp is not okay with most of the manufactured products. My longer lengths don’t mind silicones and store bought stuff, but as far as shampoo, and store bought “scalp treatment” stuff, it’s mostly a waste of money. Even the medicated shampoo I bought from the doc wasn’t helping my scalp flare ups.

Last edited:

SunkissedLife

basking in the sun
Last night I used a Ayurvedic shampoo bar thoroughly rinsed and let air dry. Then sprayed each section with avj and slathered on Shea butter and braided. I had 13 total: 3 on each side in the front, 3 at the crown, and 4 in the back/bottom section.

Still have about half a tub of Shea butter and looking forward to whipping up my next batch.

SN: I’m gone ONE month and already at 900 posts?! The mystical magical power of Shea Butter baby!!

Adding shots of my hair after taking the braids out and the resulting bun. My hair is so soft!!!! Omg. Shea Butter Soft!!! I almost couldn’t stop touching it so I had to put it in a bun lol

My hair has definitely been growing and my roots like my hair is so soft and strong and I even see more hairs esp around my edges. I think a lot of that is due to scalp massages with Ayurvedic oil and the mystical magic power of Shea Butter. Wishing and hoping to reach APL by the end of the year.

Thinking of brushing it out a la naptural85 heartless blow out before adding some more moisture and sealing with Shea butter to braid. I’m so used to doing twists I’m trying to get used to how to do braids for good stretch and definition.

View media item 130079
View media item 130081
View media item 130083

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
Adding shots of my hair after taking the braids out and the resulting bun. My hair is so soft!!!! Omg. Shea Butter Soft!!! I almost couldn’t stop touching it so I had to put it in a bun lol

My hair has definitely been growing and my roots like my hair is so soft and strong and I even see more hairs esp around my edges. I think a lot of that is due to scalp massages with Ayurvedic oil and the mystical magic power of Shea Butter. Wishing and hoping to reach APL by the end of the year.

Thinking of brushing it out a la naptural85 heartless blow out before adding some more moisture and sealing with Shea butter to braid. I’m so used to doing twists I’m trying to get used to how to do braids for good stretch and definition.

View media item 130079
View media item 130081
View media item 130083

Looking beautiful. You even have a 'halo' of light around your head in picture #3. I guess it could be called Shea-lo!

Chicoro

Inspired by @SunkissedLife ,
Do you have a Shea-lo (pronounced Shea low) around your head? Take a picture and see if you can capture the glow from your Shea - lo ! Hair is your crowing glory, so it would only make sense that Shea butter is out here creating halos of emitted light around our afro-textured heads.

Sidenote: I wish the snatched body came AUTOMATICALLY with the Shea - lo!

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Last night, I refreshed my hair with some conditioner (small amount) with Shea on top. My intention in doing this was to braid my hair and leave it alone until wash day. I usually only use Shea butter alone in between wash days, and today I was reminded why. My hair feels product-y and weighed down...no movement & stiff. Shea Butter (on my hair) needs no help from other products. I prefer to use it alone for hair refreshing.

I got a huge pot of hebal tea simmering. Gonna let it steep most of the day....mix it with some powders and let it marinate on my hair all night. At least now I can get started on my Shea Coffee Blend.

water_n_oil

*smacks forehead*

It only dawned on me this morning that the sometimes gross waxiness with shea is when I try to use it without drying my hands between wetting my hair, using a leave in, etc. If my hands are 100% dry then it melts nicely but any trace of moisture and it clumps up.

Anywho, used TMC Moringa leave in and my ayurvedic shea mix on my 4yo this morning. Her hair is so soft. I'm thinking of making a shea & tamanu blend for my 2yo (well, she's almost 2 lol). They both are great for her eczema and she has a few spots on her scalp that are problematic. It also got me thinking and now I want to make several shea mixes to use in rotation for us.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
@ElevatedEnergy

I'm not trying to look I'm begging or nothing....but you going to share some of that tea mix and Shea Coffee stuff you got over there?

Sending my Shea Family some special fairy herbal tea. Chock full of Horsetail, Stinging Nettle, Oatstraw, Rosehips, Burdock Root, Fenugreek Seeds & Rosemary. You can pour it over all your unicorn heads!

Or mix it with some yummy powders. How bout some Henna, Bhringraj, Fenugreek, Amla, Coconut Milk, Banana, Aloe Vera, Guava Fruit & Honey? It will make your hair and scalp singggggggggg!!!!

Wait....hold on....gotta use it all.

Leave a little in....put some Magical Shea Butter on top....then sip any that's leftover with a pinch of Stevia to sweeten it. Yum!

Repeat monthly and your scalp will be pushing out a whole bunch of goodness that's gonna turn into some hair feets!!!

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Sounds so lovely! I've been wanting to incorporate fenugreek in my regimen. My Sprouts always says it's in the bulk section but I've never seen it. Will probably just order it online.

Yes.....I love me some fenugreek...it smells like some natural brown sugar!!! The conditioning & the slip it gives is what I imagine perfection to be.

I usually grab a few pound bags of organic fenugreek seeds whenever I purchase anything from Vitacost. They are only $3 to $4 a pound, so I usually go a little crazy. Fenugreek powder can be cheap as well from your local Indian Grocers. Or amazon too...

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
I used up the last bit of my Trader Joes Aloe Vera gel today. It goes perfectly with slicking down my hair without flaking or interacting with my Shea Butter. I'll probably pick up some Kinky Curly Custard this weekend to use in replace of it, since Trader Joes is not close to my house anymore. If any of you Ladies use KCCC, does it pair well with your Whipped Shea Blends? As in, no flaking and good yet gentle enough hold? I need it to last multiple days (5-7) as I try not to mess with my hair too much when its in its curly state.

@GGsKin You like KCCC, right?

GGsKin

I used up the last bit of my Trader Joes Aloe Vera gel today. It goes perfectly with slicking down my hair without flaking or interacting with my Shea Butter. I'll probably pick up some Kinky Curly Custard this weekend to use in replace of it, since Trader Joes is not close to my house anymore. If any of you Ladies use KCCC, does it pair well with your Whipped Shea Blends? As in, no flaking and good yet gentle enough hold? I need it to last multiple days (5-7) as I try not to mess with my hair too much when its in its curly state.

@GGsKin You like KCCC, right?

Yes! I dilute KCCC (with water and a drop of steeped hibiscus as standard). It doesn't flake on me this way, and pairs well with my Shea butter mixes. It has a hold that has very little if any crunch, especially when paired with whipped Shea.

Last edited:

Chicoro

My hair today after moisturising last night. Used a tip from @snoop by twisting with less tension so that my usual concern of scalpiness is not so apparent.View attachment 442813 View attachment 442815

Somebody has been doing their Ends Routine consistently! Look at how the ends of your hair curl and look so moist. Between your Ends Routine and using Shea butter, you're length retention is going to explode and be amazing for 2019. Look at how those braids are already laying down your back. And it's only February.

fluffyforever

Last night I used SM restorative conditioner as a leave in over bottled water to moisturize. I put my hair into 8 small braids and this morning I woke up to a soft high definition braidout.

My hair is looking so black and rich lately. I can't stop commenting on that fact. My grandmother used to always tell me how gray and dry my natural hair is and how I need a perm. She is so blunt and doesn't realize how much it used to hurt me even though I know she has good intentions. After I started using my shea whip, she hasn't said a negative thing about my hair lately and she actually says it looks good. Queen Shea out here alleviating family tension!

GGsKin

Somebody has been doing their Ends Routine consistently! Look at how the ends of your hair curl and look so moist. Between your Ends Routine and using Shea butter, you're length retention is going to explode and be amazing for 2019.

From your keystrokes, to my hair-feets:walking::walking::walking:. I'm on here like:bookworm2::work:. I'm gonna make extra effort to care for my ends this year. I'm sure it will pay off.