Shea Growth And Retention Regimen 2019

What is the length barrier you would like to break through in 2019, with Shea butter's help?

• Top of shoulder length

Votes: 18 10.2%
  • Collar bone length

Votes: 10 5.6%
  • Armpit length

• Between armpit and bra strap length

Votes: 36 20.3%
  • Bra strap length

Votes: 28 15.8%
  • Between bra strap and waist length

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • Waist length

Votes: 35 19.8%
  • Whip length

Votes: 12 6.8%
  • Hip length

Votes: 10 5.6%
  • Tailbone length

• Total voters

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
It's their shea that I'm using. I guess I'm going to have to venture out and buy the "real deal".

I had 5 pounds each of their refined and unrefined and none of it was good. I ended up throwing all of it away after having batches of soap pretty much turn into slime from it. I only really recommend Oslove Organics or 3cayg when it comes to the Queen....but that's just my preference though....certainly not law. LOL

water_n_oil

Slathered my hair in my shea/glycerin mix before bed tonight. I forgot how soft this one leaves my hair. I'm finding I don't like to downsize this recipe though. Also seems more prone to separating if I heat the glycerin and shea together (which I didn't used to do). I'll make a real batch once I run through this small one.

caribeandiva

Human being
Getting ready to leave the house

View attachment 445665

Back at home 4 hours later :eek: :lachen:

View attachment 445667

Humidity is so ruthless! She doesn't know that I just Shea'd up and put my hair in a greasy braid though. It will soak up all that yummy Shea butter by tomorrow and be ready for whatever the weather throws our way :toocool:
:lachen::lachen: I’ve been in your shoes and it’s sooooo annoying!!

lalla

Hello! The pics were taken 3 weeks ago. This is a record length for me. My hair looks thinner than usual, I had just relaxed it and the steam pod leaves the hair flatter than a rollerset.

Attachments

• ADF0E42C-6670-468F-9317-F7651C5EB9C4.jpeg
    ADF0E42C-6670-468F-9317-F7651C5EB9C4.jpeg
    396.9 KB · Views: 94
  • D00EA8F8-C842-4E86-9A0F-DEFEDE3CDE32.jpeg
    D00EA8F8-C842-4E86-9A0F-DEFEDE3CDE32.jpeg
    368.1 KB · Views: 91

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
Hello! The pics were taken 3 weeks ago. This is a record length for me. My hair looks thinner than usual, I had just relaxed it and the steam pod leaves the hair flatter than a rollerset.

I, Chicoro, nominate and induct @lalla into the Shea Made Hair Unicorn Hall of Fame 2019, this 18th day of April, 2019. She was outted in post # 1746 showing her newly relaxed hair at her longest length EVER in her life! Welcome !

@caribeandiva , please do your thing, baby!

Last edited:

Chicoro

Looks lovely!

ashbash

Hey hey hey

I’m back
Life got super busy and I neglected my hair
I’m currently dealing with a scalp flare up and some serious breakage and shedding

Life should slow down a bit after tonight so I’m gonna take a few days this weekend and really evaluate a plan and give my hair some real tlc and hopefully we can get this train back on the track

Chicoro

Hey hey hey

I’m back
Life got super busy and I neglected my hair
I’m currently dealing with a scalp flare up and some serious breakage and shedding

Life should slow down a bit after tonight so I’m gonna take a few days this weekend and really evaluate a plan and give my hair some real tlc and hopefully we can get this train back on the track

Yeah!

lalla

And three weeks later, a setback. I went to a Dominican salon, they suggested a trim, I said yes. From the side it looked like one cm, but she actually gave me a blunt cut in the back . I think I lost something like 6cms. At least it looks good.

Attachments

• BB41897D-0151-45EE-B0EC-6852C52EBD5B.jpeg
    BB41897D-0151-45EE-B0EC-6852C52EBD5B.jpeg
    80 KB · Views: 66
  • FAFEE40F-1A89-4D74-853E-80C276B0793B.jpeg
    FAFEE40F-1A89-4D74-853E-80C276B0793B.jpeg
    325.6 KB · Views: 65

Chicoro

And three weeks later, a setback. I went to a Dominican salon, they suggested a trim, I said yes. From the side it looked like one cm, but she actually gave me a blunt cut in the back . I think I lost something like 6cms. At least it looks good.

Your hair looks lovely! Yes, it looks like about 2.5 to 3.0 inches were trimmed. I'm sorry the person didn't do exactly what you asked.

The GREAT news is, I believe you will gain that length BACK AGAIN before December 2019!

Chicoro

You’re right. But I was so happy about my new length ...

@lalla ,

I believe I understand your disappointment.

The one thing I've realized is that people outside of LHCF and hair boards in general, do not value hair they way we do. I am not saying our way is better or worse, it's just different.

We value and nurture every strand and every length gain. For example, even though our longer newer length may not be over our entire heads, we embrace and celebrate that length. It serves as a marker of the new length we have reached, the new lengths to come and a sign of possibility that the rest of our hair will reach that length.

Hairstylists tend to see strands of longer lengths as strays that detract from the asymmetric 'beauty' of hair. That is how they were trained. They like to see thick, even ends. Unless, one allows them to 'try out' a new cut that they want to do, on your hair. That new cut may or may not be asymmetric or all even, but because it's something they get to create themselves on your hair, that's a different matter.

With this stated, and with a whole lot of assumptions in place I do the following for myself. I allow my hair to gain a significant amount of length BEYOND my goal length. ONLY then, do I go in for a professional trim.

From 'my' experience, I have learned that when I reach a new length, if all my hair is NOT at that length, the stylist is very likely to trim that length OFF and away. Psychologically, for me that is disheartening and I just plain feel bad after my beauty salon visit. Every time. So, I've adopted this aforementioned philosophy and process.

Today, in my case, I am working hard to preserve my ends in an as healthy state as possible. I have planned to get a trim in February 2020, and not before. Why? Because, by then I will have a significant amount of length BEYOND my dream length. Hence, when I go in and get my hair trimmed, even if they cut off more than I want, I will probably retain hair at my newer, longer length.

I am not always successful. What I do now is go into the salon and visit the person who is going to do my hair on several occasions. I broadcast that I am coming in and express my concerns and desires. When I get in the chair, I look at my hair right before they begin the trimming process. I ask them to show me and to TOUCH where they are going to cut my hair. I then stand up and look at it in the mirror. Then I allow them to cut. Here in France, they like to trim while they are blowdrying the hair straight. This WON'T be happening to me in February 2020.

Sometimes, they ask me not to come back.*
:giggle:But whatever. That 1 to 2 hours of discomfort is worth me having my hair at the length I wanted. Otherwise, I am the one who will have to suffer for months and possibly for years if they were to cut beyond what I have asked.

Thus, if I have grown my hair beyond that length, when they inevitably trim it 'back', I still end up with a gorgeous result at my new, dream length.

* It's something along these lines, "Perhaps you might be better served by finding someone who can better satisfy your needs and preferences". I know this line well because I have received it from medical doctors, dentists and other service providers. This is MY body and MY life.

Last edited:

ashbash

I know how disappointing a setback can be... I’m going through one now

But your hair still looks gorgeous

In the name of shea May you continue to thrive Shea sister

Chicoro

SheaGrowthComparison2017vs2019-v.png

This is an 18th month comparison. My hair looks the same length to me. But, I know it's longer in the April 2019 photo. If you look at the ends in the 2019 photo, there is more hair or length in the curl. My hair does not hang as it gets longer. It hangs at the same length unless I pull it.

Here's another April 15th, 2019 photo where I am pulling my braid. I can see the length I've gained. Also, the braid is getting thicker at the new length:

April152019.jpg

caribeandiva

Human being
View attachment 445869

This is an 18th month comparison. My hair looks the same length to me. But, I know it's longer in the April 2019 photo. If you look at the ends in the 2019 photo, there is more hair or length in the curl. My hair does not hang as it gets longer. It hangs at the same length unless I pull it.

Here's another April 15th, 2019 photo where I am pulling my braid. I can see the length I've gained. Also, the braid is getting thicker at the new length:

View attachment 445871
Your braids look a lot thicker in the after pictures. Congratulations!!