Shea Growth And Retention Regimen 2019

What is the length barrier you would like to break through in 2019, with Shea butter's help?

• Top of shoulder length

Votes: 18 10.2%
  • Collar bone length

Votes: 10 5.6%
  • Armpit length

• Between armpit and bra strap length

Votes: 36 20.3%
  • Bra strap length

Votes: 28 15.8%
  • Between bra strap and waist length

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • Waist length

Votes: 35 19.8%
  • Whip length

Votes: 12 6.8%
  • Hip length

Votes: 10 5.6%
  • Tailbone length

• Total voters

keranikki

Natural, 3abc/4a, Fine, medium density
As you ladies know I got my hair cut in March 2019. It was needed after not going to the salon for over 2 years. I stopped posting progress pics or measurements because I need more taken off as I progressively get rid of my damaged thin ends from the past. I should be done by September with that. I saw no point in measuring my hair for that reason. Anyway, I kept my hair straight for a month and washed it out in April. That’s when I took the before shot. I made good progress for 2 months! I have my next appointment today and I’ll see what my stylist has to say about the condition of my hair overall now. She was worried about my hair being dry because of protein overload. I have done zero protein treatments since and only focused on moisture.
View attachment 447897

Come through!!! Even your braid is thicker!

BeautifulRoots

Okay been using the shea nilotica for about a month now, and man that stuff is the TRUTH. Hair is so shiny and moist after I seal with it. I didn't think I would notice much of a difference between the nilotica and ivory shea, but they are quite different. Both are great, but the nilotica takes my hair to another level.

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
As you ladies know I got my hair cut in March 2019. It was needed after not going to the salon for over 2 years. I stopped posting progress pics or measurements because I need more taken off as I progressively get rid of my damaged thin ends from the past. I should be done by September with that. I saw no point in measuring my hair for that reason. Anyway, I kept my hair straight for a month and washed it out in April. That’s when I took the before shot. I made good progress for 2 months! I have my next appointment today and I’ll see what my stylist has to say about the condition of my hair overall now. She was worried about my hair being dry because of protein overload. I have done zero protein treatments since and only focused on moisture.
View attachment 447897

L'il Bamboo, you don't have this name for nothing! Of course your hair continues to gain length. Especially, since you are continuing to do the same process. Good for you!

Chicoro

Okay been using the shea nilotica for about a month now, and man that stuff is the TRUTH. Hair is so shiny and moist after I seal with it. I didn't think I would notice much of a difference between the nilotica and ivory shea, but they are quite different. Both are great, but the nilotica takes my hair to another level.

Do you think the Nilotica butter is penetrating your hair better? Or, is there something in it that is giving your hair even more support that you need?

Chicoro

I got my hair did tonight... and promptly got caught in the rain. :perplexed: I swear I should start charging for my services in areas where they are having droughts: “I know it hasn’t rained here in decades, but if you pay me $50 I’ll go get my hair done and as soon as I do it’ll be raining. Trust.” On the bright side no trims were needed. We’re gonna start regular trims as needed from now on until all the old hair is gone naturally. No more drastic cuts like last time.
View attachment 447919

It may be fuzzy, but I can clearly see that hair creeping to armpit length. I'm looking at those sizable group of strands of hair on the left side, if facing the computer screen. If I can see that length on rained on hair, I know you are continuing to hit new lengths in rapid fire. I'm excited to see what your hair in September, or the next time you get it done!

Oh, forgot to say that there are sections of hair that are about four (4) inches beyond your collarbone. Did you notice that?

Chicoro

I neglected trimming my ends for almost a year and when I finally got to it today my hair was mostly in pretty good shape. I only had to trim about an inch (stretched) from most parts, no more than 1.5" anywhere. I mostly credit that to using Shea butter.

Congratulations! That is so good to know. I am going to continue to juice my ends with Shea butter, too.

VictoriousBrownFlower

I neglected trimming my ends for almost a year and when I finally got to it today my hair was mostly in pretty good shape. I only had to trim about an inch (stretched) from most parts, no more than 1.5" anywhere. I mostly credit that to using Shea butter.

i also noticed this when i trimmed after a yr and a half of not trimming. I did a huge cut back in apr of last yr to remove all damaged thin ends and hadn't trimmed since because i wanted it to grow out some(my hair was literally the same length it was after my initial bc). My ends were in great shape. I had to cut .5 an inch at most. There was literally no difference to length and now my hair is thick from root to tip. Added bonus my area of breakage is catching up to the rest(i trimmed that area as well so its thick from root to tip but a different length than the rest).

hair after trim 5/18
030.JPG 028.JPG

hair after trim 6/19
064.JPG 058.JPG

BeautifulRoots

Do you think the Nilotica butter is penetrating your hair better? Or, is there something in it that is giving your hair even more support that you need?

That's an interesting question. Now that I think about it, I can say that the nilotica does seem to sink in a little faster than the ivory. I'll pay more attention to it next wash day and let you know. I'd be curious to know if the nilotica composition is different than the other varieties. Off to research. :drunk:

Last edited:

Chicoro

That's an interesting question. Now that I think about it, I can say that the nilotica does seem to sink in a little faster than the ivory. I'll pay more attention to it next wash day and let you know. I'd be curious to know if the nilotica composition is different than the other varieties. Off to research. :drunk:

Looking forward to learning about your experiment and research results!

Although I have not tried it, it is probably yes and no. Nilotica Shea butter contains a higher amount of oleic acid, which is what its creamy texture and moisturizing properties are attributed to. Additionally, the hardness of West African Shea butter can be attributed to the stearic acid content, which is present in a higher amount than in the Nilotica variety. However, there are multiple oils (Avocado and Olive) that contain a higher amount of oleic acid than both of such butters and can be easily whipped with the West African variety to produce a creamy mixture and moisturizing properties-- a fact that I am sure that you are well aware of!

I personally believe that the East African variety is likely the better choice when used on its own based on its ease of application (however, I doubt that it has the hold that West African Shea butter does), but there is no such need if the butter is to be whipped with other oils-- especially when considering the cost difference in favor of the West African variety. The oleic acid content in a whipped butter will probably be similar if not higher, on average, in comparison to unrefined, non-whipped Nilotica Shea butter. Lastly, both still contain vitamins A and E, whereas other oils contain other vitamins and antioxidants that may be beneficial to hair. Either way, it may be practical to mix the Shea butter with some other beneficial oils.

For more reading:
Contents of fatty acids found in several samples of West African Shea butter: http://www.agbangakarite.com/science_bulksheabutter.php

Factsheet about Nilotica Shea butter: https://dlgnaturals-bw.com/Nilotica Shea Butter-Technical Data.pdf

Naturally Curly's very own article about the properties of oleic acid: https://www.naturallycurly.com/curl...inoleic-acid-the-reason-you-love-oils-so-much

BeautifulRoots

Although I have not tried it, it is probably yes and no. Nilotica Shea butter contains a higher amount of oleic acid, which is what its creamy texture and moisturizing properties are attributed to. Additionally, the hardness of West African Shea butter can be attributed to the stearic acid content, which is present in a higher amount than in the Nilotica variety. However, there are multiple oils (Avocado and Olive) that contain a higher amount of oleic acid than both of such butters and can be easily whipped with the West African variety to produce a creamy mixture and moisturizing properties-- a fact that I am sure that you are well aware of!

I personally believe that the East African variety is likely the better choice when used on its own based on its ease of application (however, I doubt that it has the hold that West African Shea butter does), but there is no such need if the butter is to be whipped with other oils-- especially when considering the cost difference in favor of the West African variety. The oleic acid content in a whipped butter will probably be similar if not higher, on average, in comparison to unrefined, non-whipped Nilotica Shea butter. Lastly, both still contain vitamins A and E, whereas other oils contain other vitamins and antioxidants that may be beneficial to hair. Either way, it may be practical to mix the Shea butter with some other beneficial oils.

For more reading:
Contents of fatty acids found in several samples of West African Shea butter: http://www.agbangakarite.com/science_bulksheabutter.php

Factsheet about Nilotica Shea butter: https://dlgnaturals-bw.com/Nilotica Shea Butter-Technical Data.pdf

Naturally Curly's very own article about the properties of oleic acid: https://www.naturallycurly.com/curl...inoleic-acid-the-reason-you-love-oils-so-much
Good information, thanks for sharing!

Chicoro

:curtain:
Been reading through these posts all day...think I’ll see what Shea can do for me...off to buy some 3CayG Nilotica Shea...

Queen Shea has reeled in another one!

Chicoro

For more reading:

@I Am Number Four.

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my question with such detail and thought. I appreciate the time and the effort that it took. Also, I appreciate you took the time to provide references and links for us. That is very generous of you.

We appreciate the quality of your information and the deference with which you shared and imparted that knowledge. Queen Shea merits every bit of that respect!

Yes, these are some things I know, but they are worth repeating to be reminded and to help teach those who are new to Shea butter. Thank you again! Keep the knowledge coming!

PlanetCybertron

I love the Almond Oil 3cayG has.

Mixes perfectly with pretty much anything.

Haven’t bought the Nilotica yet, but if it matches up to my other favorite butters I’ll be using it for quite a while as my current go to.

So far the almond oil and Shea Butter mix I have has been preserving my Indigo color treatment really well. My hair has never been shinier or softer.

I can’t deny myself Herbal Essences Hello Hydration any longer and bought three bottles of it. Going all the way back to the OG product.

To be honest it’s the best leave in for my hair, and I’m secretly a silicone addict. But my Shea Butter gets along so well with the leave in that I have had no need to detangle.

I legit haven’t detangled in almost a month, and for the most part, when I go to moisturize and seal second day hair, I can get through my hair with such ease. So I’ve just been washing, conditioning, and then sealing.

apple_natural

i did get around to whipping my shea mix. it did not fluff up very much, but it did a little and it isn't so solid as it was Saturday. I will check it again this evening to see if it solidified (i want it to be fluffy). i think i have too much oil so that it isn't fluffing. idk. i forgot what allows it to fluff. i put it on yesterday and my ends look beautiful still

Last edited:

caribeandiva

Human being
Oh, forgot to say that there are sections of hair that are about four (4) inches beyond your collarbone. Did you notice that?
I didn’t notice that! Yay!! :pepper:

I called my stylist the same day my hair got ruined and she offered to fix it the next day!! For free! She lightly re-ironed it, said she’ll trim next time and it was all good. I worked outside all weekend and the humidity got me so I put my hair in a ponytail. I took it down to take this shot. You can really see the thin ends here.
078C21B9-3C46-4FDA-BA53-A184932C4E28.jpeg

Chicoro

I didn’t notice that! Yay!! :pepper:

I called my stylist the same day my hair got ruined and she offered to fix it the next day!! For free! She lightly re-ironed it, said she’ll trim next time and it was all good. I worked outside all weekend and the humidity got me so I put my hair in a ponytail. I took it down to take this shot. You can really see the thin ends here.
View attachment 448007

Ahm... hair doesn't grow thick like a weave track. It drops down in length strand by strand. The hair needs time to thicken up. But, dang, L'il Bamboo your hair looks to be 1.5 to 2 inches longer in the June photo! And, your head is leaning FORWARD in the June photo, making you look like you have less length than you really do.

caribeandiva

Human being
Ahm... hair doesn't grow thick like a weave track. It drops down in length strand by strand. The hair needs time to thicken up. But, dang, L'il Bamboo your hair looks to be 1.5 to 2 inches longer in the June photo! And, your head is leaning FORWARD in the June photo, making you look like you have less length than you really do.
You can really see the leading strands on the side
AE275EC0-6B90-4F76-940D-7F2C25493224.jpeg

MyAngelEyez~C~U

View media item 130243View media item 130239 Late to the party but here are my starting length pics taken at the end of April. I have been using a homemade growth oil that contains Shea oil, olive oil, sunflower oil, aloe vera oil, and avocado oil, infused with Moringa leaves, aloe powder, alma, bringraj, brahmi, bamboo and Rose powders for the past year. I’ve got my 3CayG Shea Nilotica on the way and I have some shea butter and shea nut oil to use until it arrives. I’ll be using rose water for moisture and sealing with a combo of the butter and oil whipped. Thanks for all the useful info in this thread!

Last edited:

Chicoro

View media item 130243View media item 130239 Late to the party but here are my starting length pics taken at the end of April. I have been using a homemade growth oil that contains Shea oil, olive oil, sunflower oil, aloe vera oil, and avocado oil, infused with Moringa leaves, aloe powder, alma, bringraj, brahmi, bamboo and Rose powders for the past year. I’ve got my 3CayG Shea Nilotica on the way and I have some shea butter and shea nut oil to use until it arrives. I’ll be using rose water for moisture and sealing with a combo of the butter and oil whipped. Thanks for all the useful info in this thread!

Your hair color is fabulous !

water_n_oil

I love the Almond Oil 3cayG has.

Mixes perfectly with pretty much anything.

Haven’t bought the Nilotica yet, but if it matches up to my other favorite butters I’ll be using it for quite a while as my current go to.

So far the almond oil and Shea Butter mix I have has been preserving my Indigo color treatment really well. My hair has never been shinier or softer.

I can’t deny myself Herbal Essences Hello Hydration any longer and bought three bottles of it. Going all the way back to the OG product.

To be honest it’s the best leave in for my hair, and I’m secretly a silicone addict. But my Shea Butter gets along so well with the leave in that I have had no need to detangle.

I legit haven’t detangled in almost a month, and for the most part, when I go to moisturize and seal second day hair, I can get through my hair with such ease. So I’ve just been washing, conditioning, and then sealing.
I've been using an almond oil and shea mix on dd1. Works really well for her.

caribeandiva

Human being
Gorgeous hair!!