Shea Growth And Retention Regimen 2019

What is the length barrier you would like to break through in 2019, with Shea butter's help?

• Top of shoulder length

Votes: 18 10.2%
  • Collar bone length

Votes: 10 5.6%
  • Armpit length

• Between armpit and bra strap length

Votes: 36 20.3%
  • Bra strap length

Votes: 28 15.8%
  • Between bra strap and waist length

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • Waist length

Votes: 35 19.8%
  • Whip length

Votes: 12 6.8%
  • Hip length

Votes: 10 5.6%
  • Tailbone length

• Total voters

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
Shea Growth and Retention Regimen 2019

Theme: Breaking Through Length Barriers in 2019!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Our Own Shea Butter Unicorn Who Has Broken Through Her Length Barrier After 6 Years of Trying and Failing and Ridicule from Others:

From Post #2387 of THIS VERY THREAD!!!!!

Here's her story in her own words at post #1314:

"It’s a huge victory for me [getting past shoulder length for the first time EVER in her hair journey] because I had so many doubters when I started my hair care journey back in March 2006. Remember the pre-YouTube days? I was laughed at and ridiculed by so-called friends because my hair never got longer than my ears my whole life up till then. The longest my hair got after that was full SL. APL on me was my Bigfoot and Lochness monster. I heard it existed but I’ve never seen it for myself. Now I have!! Yay!!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Original Shea Growth and Retention Regimen 2018 thread:

https://longhaircareforum.com/threads/shea-growth-and-retention-regimen-2018.828439/

This thread is dedicated to the genius insight and observation of @ThatJerseyGirl. She is the person that brought it to the forefront that Shea butter possessed the power to consistently transform natural, afro-textured hair into gorgeous, lush fairytale-like hair locks! Because of her insight, we have been able to harness a small part of the incredible might of Queen Shea, to improve and beautify our afro-textured hair.

Of course you need to use Shea butter!
I only ask that you be kind, supportive and helpful to one another. Share how you are
using Shea butter. Let us know the good, the bad and the ugly. It is all very helpful to us!
Stop by and grace us with your presence whenever you like.
It's always a pleasure to hear from you.​

Who wants to be a
Shea Made Hair Unicorn
in
2019?

Come on down!

:flahssssss:Shea Made Hair Unicorn Hall of Fame :love::love2::love::love2::love3::love4::love5:2019:love5::love4::love3::love2::love:

@[B]keranikki[/B]
February 20th, 2019 ~ Post #993 'Outted' her as a Shea-made hair unicorn. Her hair is at armpit length. This is her LONGEST LENGTH ever!

@Lita

February 25th, 2019 ~ Post #1069 'Outted' her as a Shea-made hair unicorn. Her hair has begun to become thicker, fuller and wavier because of using Shea butter. She posted two photos.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Things We've Learned About Shea Butter in 2019
  • Shea butter greatly impacts the physical appearance afro-textured hair in three (3) areas:
    1. Other worldly Thickness
    2. Other worldly Length
    3. Other worldly Darkness/Blackness (hair coloring)NEW! in 2019
  • Shea butter is biologically active. Unlike hair grease with a petroleum or paraffin base, which is inert.
  • Shea butter covered hair tends to have LESS SHRINKAGE, especially when used in conjunction with a leave in hair conditioner. (Post #427 and #428)
  • Shea butter mixed with coffee infused ceramide oil, in conjunction with dry exfoliation can lighten scars and stretch marks. (Post # 160)
  • Shea butter mixed with citronella essential oil can help to repel mosquitos. (Post # 702)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RECIPES
  1. Shea Butter and Coffee Oil for Scars: Post #160 by @ElevatedEnergy
  2. Shea Butter and Glycerin: Post # 514 by @water_n_oil
  3. Shea Butter Mosquito Repellent: Post #703 by @Chicoro
  4. Shea Butter Melt, Freeze and Whip: Post #227 by @ElevatedEnergy
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Shea Vitamins
  1. Vitamin F = Linoleic Acid (@PlanetCybertron )
  2. Vitamin A =
  3. Vitamin D =
  4. Vitamin E =

Last edited:

Chicoro

Let me start with my Shea butter story. It began with a self- esteem destroying trim in 2012...the second one of my life related to hair, after the one I had at 14 years old. But this time, I did it to myself.

In December 2016, is when I made the change to Shea butter. Not only had I not gained my length back from 2012, after 4 years, I could see that I was continuing to lose length every time I washed my hair and especially when I wore the style below.

Underneath this picture, in my Fotki I wrote:
HairPonyJune17th2016.jpg
"My ponytails has gotten much thicker and denser and coarser. I was using a sulfur on my scalp, that I made myself. It made my hair super black and my strands seemed to be extra thick. I can't wear loose ponytails if I want to gain length. I usually lose about 1/2 to 1 inch detangling them after wearing them for 1 to 2 weeks. The breakage is due to tangling on the ends. I secure my ponytails with a nylon knee-hi. They tend to not break my hair. Rarely do I find hair on the nylons."

Shea butter eliminated all the problems stated in the aforementioned paragraph. In addition, the most important [to me] is that I was able to get my hair back to the length. I think I had been in a growth and break cycle for 4 years, from October 2012 to the end of 2016.

Nothing was working in my old process: not SCURL, not my trusted baggie method either. In fact, my hair turned and curled onto itself while in the baggie. I had to cut 3 inches from my knotted braid.

Then...I finally noticed @ThatJerseyGirl comments about the connection between Shea butter and uber healthy and long afro-textured hair. I raced back to all my favorite naturals that I admired with super long lengths, who had hair in the 3b to 4c range. Sure enough, they all were using or had used Shea butter in their regimens.

But I hated Shea butter. It left my hair dirty, hard, dull, coated and it repelled and cancelled the effectiveness of my hair gel. But desperate times call for desperate measures. I made it work for me. All I needed to do was use WHIPPED Shea butter!

Now, I use and adore Queen "Mike Jones" Shea butter and she will always be in my regimen.
Back then, I didn't want her. Now, I'm all on her.:giggle:

From December 2016 until December 2018, over the last 2 years, my hair length has grown BACK to the length I had in 2011/2012:
HairLengthComparisonDec27th2018.png

Last edited:

ItsMeLilLucky

Aka Giveme D’Monee
Okay, I slept with my hair uncovered, just on a satin pillowcase. Ends still feel nice, I did reapply the Shea and DC on the ends before I laid down. I’m gonna go 2 separate day without reapplying and alternating covered hair and uncovered hair to see how long can I go before having to reapply.

Edited to add a picture:
You probably can’t tell, but they’re disconnected I promise :lachen:The picture is giant because I couldn’t upload it directly from my phone lol

Last edited:

Prisangela

Im down for the challenge. Ill be whipping up mixes to apply to my ends, nape and temples. Also use in DC'ing once a month. Wishing us all our goals and more in 2019!

Starting length is between SL and APL hair in the front where I'm starting to recover from two rounds of PP shedding :cry3:

IMG_2004.JPG IMG_2005.JPG IMG_2006.JPG

Last edited:

Chicoro

Im down for the challenge. Ill be whipping up mixes to apply to my ends, nape and temples. Also use in DC'ing once a month. Wishing us all our goals and more in 2019!

I'm In!
I would like to create a shea regimen for my hair, find quality shea that my hair likes, and start whipping up batches and having experimenting and watching my hair grow/be moisturized.

I am going to make my way to WL in 2019. I am going to use a shea butter mix on my ends and perhaps on my temple area. I did not experience much retention in 2018, so I am hoping shea butter on my ends can be a difference maker.

Ladies,
I would strongly encourage you to consider using Shea butter on your roots and scalp. I sincerely believe the optimal value of Shea butter is it's application from root to tip.

Let's GROW!!!!

Chicoro

Calling all Shea Made Hair Unicorns from 2018! Toot your horns and post your incredible, inspirational photos in here from 2018, please!

This is by no means a summons to participate in this thread! It is a request for you to post your fabulous hair accomplishments brought to you by Queen Shea.

@caribeandiva and @ElevateEnergy done turned up, checked in and showed out!

Thank you, Ladies...I mean Shea Made Hair Unicorns of 2018!

Last edited:

Chicoro

@caribeandiva and @ElevateEnergy done turned up, checked in and showed out!

Calling all Shea Made Hair Unicorns! Calling all you Shea Made Hair Unicorns of 2018. Show yourselves! Give us the gift of your beautiful Shea Made Hair, the same photos you posted to become inducted are perfect!

Help inspire those ladies who have given up, are about to give up, or who are trying to hold on! Show yourselves, please!

@lalla
@GGsKin
@sgold04
@ArrrBeee
@tapioca_pudding
@Daina
@NCHairDiva
@guyaneseyankee
@kupenda
@CurlyWhoCrux
@Sosoothing
@SunySydeofLyfe
@sunflora
@SunkissedLife
@Coilystep
@keranikki
@NappyNelle
@Alma Petra
@flyygirlll2
@abioni
@icsonia22
@LivingInPeace
@sarumoki post
@Dominga11 post
@Jade Feria
@ItsMeLilLucky
@Sarabellam
@Saga
@Pygmy_puff
@VictoriousBrownFlower

(We got at least one more Shea Made Hair Unicorn on deck in 2018. I'm just waiting for her to come back to the board and answer a question.)

Last edited: 2 minutes ago

sgold04

Here are some pics from when I had my color retouched and straightened my hair in the fall.
F5878EFD-5FF5-48A0-8A4B-3DAF6781E356.jpeg

For some reason I can’t upload the other pics. I retained more than I expected and I believe it’s due to me using Shea. I have not been as vigilant with my hair, but I do moisturize and seal, which has made all the difference.

sunflora

Flowah Powah
From this past year:

9months2018.png

And that's 9 months growth! The few months I spent in the shea challenge changed my retention IMMENSELY.

Pre-shea:

24JUN2018.png

Just getting started with shea:

27NOV.png

1monthps.png

Now it's a commitment!!

Now I am low po like many other with my hair texture, and I like my shea whipped with oil and melted between my fingers before I apply it to my hair. My hair literally drinks it. I kid you not, I shea my ends, the next day - what shea? Add some more. No problem!!

Artemis24

I'm in. I read half of the other thread 2 months ago and ordered 5lbs of shea butter. I whipped up a mix with shea butter, cupuacu butter, murumuru butter and some herb infused oil. I finally started moisturizing and sealing consistently. I'm BSL and I'm pretty sure I'll be full WSL by the end of 2019.

Last edited: