shea moisture purification masque...whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!

youwillrise

so this is an initial/first use review.

here's the product for anyone who hasnt heard of it:

shea moisture organic african black soap purification masque

okay, so ive heard raves on this product for a while...and i finally caved in and ordered some.

and this, of course, after i had decided that i was going to attempt a no (or reduced) dc regimen because i could never find a really, super effective dc'er.

i used the relaxer method to apply the conditioner in small sections, twisting each section as i got done...i didnt wash or anything before. i just used my spray bottle of water and dampened each section as i was ready to apply the conditioner (the directions say to apply it to damp hair)... it has AMAZING slip, it just glided through my hair...most tangles i found were easily dealt with. i wrapped my hair in saran and then another bag (for what reason? i dunno...just did) then i put on my bonnet and a scarf on top of it. the directions say to leave on for 5 to 30 minutes, but i ended up leaving it on for about 3 hours because i got lazy. so, i go to rinse and already im thinking "hmmmm..." (in a good way)...i continue rinsing and im like "yesssss!!!" my hair felt so moisturized, yet also a bit cleaner. also...even MORE of the tangles had melted away.

i dont like the scent too much. it's kind of like bananas that have been soaked in perfume to me.

the consistency is creamy, but not thick creamy...it's thinISH, but not completely runny. it's greyish in color, i assume because of the clay that's in it.

like i said, i had recently decided to try a regimen devoid of dc'ing because i really didnt feel it was making a difference in my haircare regimen, but after using this...i think i might have to give dc'ing another try.

i dont want to get too excited because it's only my first use...but i'll keep trying it out and see if results are consistent.

karenjoe

bless you!!
I spent last weekend looking for this masque.
i went to 2 walgreen's
2 cvs (they had their products on sale ) not that masque
went to Target saw the shampoo but not the masque.

I ordered 2 masques online plus the shea moisture shampoo .... I"m going to try it this Sunday, thanks

Last edited:

youwillrise

bless you!! I spent last weekend looking for this masque.
i went to 2 walgreen's
2 cvs( they had it on sale for 9.99.
I went to target saw the shampoo but not the masque.

I ordered 2 online plus the 1 shampoo .... I"m going to try it this Sunday, thanks

lol....no prob!

i couldnt find it in my local walgreens (or any other store) either. i ordered it online. i can always find every other sm conditioner except this one. i hear a lot of people have a hard time finding it.

i hope you like it!

Coffee

I've used this product along with the anti-breakage masque monthly....for the past year. It works~, they both work.

youwillrise

oh man...my hair!

after i rinsed the shea moisture purification masque. i put shea moisture raw shea butter restorative conditioner and tresemme naturals vibrantly smooth on my hair and then a baggy over it to let it soak in.

i just took the baggy off so i could add some oil and a little more of the shea moisture restorative on top ...and my hair feels extra...EXTRA moisturized. like, not just regular moisturized, but intensely moisturized. of course the products i used after are ones i like and have worked for me, but i dont think my hair would have accepted the products AS well if i hadnt did the treatment with the masque first...i have to be honest, while these are conditioners i really like...this is the BEST they have worked for me so far

i'll report how my hair feels tomorrow...when it dries (because i know that's the real test)! hoping for the best. i put the baggy back on... i'll wear it overnight and take it off in the morning.

Ogoma

I love the slip and really love that it doesn't contain emulsifying wax like the raw shea butter line, but the smell is awful. I gag on the smell. I keep buying it and throwing it out after one use. The conditioner is also quite good.

Just11412

i use this as my cleanser. love it. keeping it.

i pretty much love all of the shea moisture products except for the raw shea deep treatment masque and the anti-breakage masque. my hair was like no bueno! everything else is golden.

daviine

I use this product. It's one of the few products that I know I like. I've used it 2 or 3 times as a prepoo and once as a DC. I haven't figured out yet how it works best for me. I might start cowashing with it. I don't mind the smell but the smell of the restorative conditioner made me nauseous. I'd like to try the conditioner and other products in the line someday.

I used the Walgreens product/store finder to see which stores had it because I got tired of looking for it.

youwillrise

at first i wasnt sure how i was going to use it.

i decided, like i said, to just dampen sections of my hair and apply it. i wasnt sure what i would do after...would i need to condition wash w/ a separate conditioner? would i need to use a separate dc treatment? once i started to rinse, i realized that *I* didnt need to do either. also didnt need to use any other cleansers...it really seemed to do the job of both cleansing and deep conditioning my hair.

i have the raw shea butter masque and im not a big fan of it either...havent tried the anti-breakage masque. i use the raw shea butter restorative conditioner as a leave-in. i didnt like the curl enhancing smoothie as a moisturizer, but it wasn't too bad (not amazing) as a dc'er. i like the curl cream for LOC moisture method sometimes and the hold & shine mist is pretty nice to me.

reeko43

This is my favorite of the Shea Moisture line. I am in love! Once I had a matted wash and go of 4 days. I sprayed my hair and applied this. I then rinsed and washed with my all time fave Terressentials mud wash. Did a light conditioner rinse afterward. My hair felt like a cloud and was easy to comb. Can't use that combination all of the time though because it is MAXIMUM moisture.

I also use this by itself sometime when I just want a light combo cleanse and dc. My hair gets clean, moisterized and easy to detangle. It is the best!!!

Just11412

i just like shea moisture because its mostly natural and its readily available. i might put the masque in a bottle because dipping my hand in the jar, gets on my damn nerves. lol. i also like that it cleans my hair well and its not stripping. i was on the search for a good cleanser that wasn't harsh. finally found something. in all the time i have been a product junkie i can't say that i had a holy grail. and this line definitely is for me. i just hope they don't change the ingredients.

youwillrise

agreed! it's so annoying when you find product that really works for you and then they go chaaaaanging it!

i feel like i need to stock up on this. i mean, i only used it once...but man...

when payday comes this thursday, i will be ordering a few more jars. haha. maybe 3 or 4.

my hair still feels great. my moisturizers (actually they're not actual moisturizers...but rinse out conditioners that i used as moisturizers) were able to seep in better...just feels new again after i had gunked my hair up for about 2 weeks.

iri9109

i like this, but i'm not a fan of the smell and i find that it really lingers...it is moisturizing with good slip though. sheamoisture is my favorite line.

karenjoe

Ok I messed up again. I made the tea yesterday. put it in a spray bottle.

I forgot de tangled my hair, comb it out sprayed the tea in & then conditioner on top.:perplexed it was soo soft then I discovered I hadn't shampooed my:blush: hair. I shampooed w their shampoo.... love it
used their masque & olive oil, other conditioners , DC one hour..... rinsed out
a very li,,,, little shedding but my hair need more moisture.....

I work out & shampoo twice a month + I comb & seal once a week...:perplexed
& I'm 18 weeks post....

I will use these products after my relaxer.....:yep: w my other things....

Ms. Tiki

This is one of my fav accidental products. Someone gave me two jars and I'm almost finished the second one. I luv it. I'm in a sew in and I plan to use it tomorrow along with the relaxer method for a cleaning conditioner.

I use it with and without heat. With heat my hair feels super soft and moisturized.

youwillrise

hmm...im doing another session with it on tuesday night. i think i'll try it under my dryer. i wasnt sure if heat would affect the clay or something. i'll give it a whirl, though!

youwillrise

i only do heat sometimes...not with all of my dcs.

a lot of the time i'll let the conditioner soak in on it's own first and then get under the hooded dryer for a bit. i usually dont go under the dryer right away, though.

cutenss

I went and got me some. I love the smell. It is almost a sickly sweet banana smell :yay: I just applied to damp hair, with water from my spray bottle. I like the way my hair looks with it on. Its like it instantly loosen my curl pattern. I have it on with a plastic cap, and my shower cap on top. I am using this as my pre-poo/cleansing, then I will DC with heat, with my Graham Webb.

jamaica68

I'll be trying this in the morning, I put it in an applicator bottle to make it easier to apply.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using LHCF