Sheamoisture Is Cancelled: 26 Black-owned Hair Care Brands You Can Support Instead

Iammoney

Wealth magnet
Unless you’ve been living under a rock the past 48 hours, you’ve probably seen SheaMoisture trending from Facebook to Twitter – unfortunately not for good reasons. Black consumers everywhere were up in arms after a commercial ad from Shea Moisture made its way to social media for their new “Hair Hate” campaign. The ad featured a light skin woman with long wavy hair, a blonde white woman, and 2 red-head white women discussing why they’ve suffered from “hair hate.” Oddly enough, Shea Moisture’s long-time core consumer base, Black women with kinky hair, were missing from the conversation and video. While some see this as the brand simply “diversifying” their line in order to expand out of the “ethnic” section and into the mainstream beauty aisle for more coins, many Black women feel betrayed that a brand they supported and built with their dollars would erase them to appeal to the masses. Not to mention, this would’ve been the perfect opportunity to address the bias and discrimination Black men and women still face for simply wearing our natural hair.

Since Mitt Romney’s Bain Capital acquired a “minority stake” in Shea Moisture in 2015, the brand has been slowly but surely swapping out some of its Black and kinky haired models for more white and ambiguous women and changing their formula. (That’s right… sadly, everyone’s favorite “natural” hair care line is no longer 100% Black-owned). The good news is, there are still a plethora of Black owned brands that cater to Black women and have found a way to diversify their brand without leaving their core consumers behind. Here are 26 other Black hair care lines to try once you’ve finished the last drop of your SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie.

If you know of a Black-owned hair care brand that isn’t listed, let us know in the comments below! You can find more Black-owned businesses in our directory HERE.

Alikay Naturals

Purchase: www.alikaynaturals.com
Owner: Rochelle Campbell

Bee Mine Organics

Purchase: www.beemineorganics.com
Owners: Arthur & Tracey Q

Camille Rose Naturals

Purchase: www.camillerosenaturals.com
Owner: Janell Stephens

Curls

Purchase: www.curls.biz
Owner: Mahisha Dellinger

EDEN BodyWorks

Purchase: www.edenbodyworks.com
Owner: Jasmine Lawrence

Entwine Couture

Purchase: www.entwinecouture.com
Owner: Dr. Adrienne Carthon

Huetiful

Purchase: www.behuetiful.com
Owner: Ken Burkeen

Jane Carter

Iammoney

Wealth magnet
Carter

Purchase: www.janecartersolution.com
Owner: Jane Carter

Karen’s Body Beautiful

Purchase: www.karensbodybeautiful.com
Owner: Karen Tappin

Kinky-Curly

Purchase: www.kinky-curly.com
Owner: Shelley Davis

Koils By Nature

Purchase: www.koilsbynature.com
Owner: Pamela J. Booker

Mielle Organics

Purchase: www.mielleorganics.com
Owner: Monique Rodriguez

Miss Jessie’s

Purchase: www.missjessies.com
Owner: Miko Branch

Moisture Love

Purchase: www.moisturelove.com
Owner: Jeannell Darden

My Honey Child

Purchase: www.myhoneychild.com
Owner: Krika Bradsher

Naturalicious

Purchase: www.naturalicious.net
Owner: Gwen Jimmere

OBIA Naturals

Purchase: www.obianaturals.com
Owner: Obia & Omini Ewah

Oyin Handmade

Purchase: www.oyinhandmade.com
Owner: Jamyla Bennu

Qhemet Biologics

Purchase: www.qhemetbiologics.com
Owner: Felis Butler

Soultanicals

Purchase: www.soultanicals.com
Owner: Ayo Ogun-McCants

Taliah Waajid

Purchase: www.naturalhair.org
Owner: Taliah Waajid

tgin. Thank God It’s Natural

Purchase: www.thankgodimnatural.com
Owner: Chris-Tia Donaldson

nysister

I've not heard of most of them. Just last night I stumbled across Thank god it's natural in the hair section and they look like they have items that I could use. I'll purchase some of their creams and look into the others.

Kinky Curly Knot Today I use regularly. Good stuff!

There are lots of JBCO companies to add to the list as well.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
I can be mad but Ima finish up my SM products.
No need to throw my hard earned $$$ in the trash over this foolishness.

HOWEVER, I will be in search of replacement products post haste.

Same, I got like 8 more products to go through though. I knew they were reformulating and starting to make unnatural products when they stopped putting expiration dates on most of their products. I've been eying the Alikay Naturals for a while so looks like I'll be having to pick some up soon.

naturalgyrl5199

Same, I got like 8 more products to go through though. I knew they were reformulating and starting to make unnatural products when they stopped putting expiration dates on most of their products. I've been eying the Alikay Naturals for a while so looks like I'll be having to pick some up soon.
I'm almost done. I got more bath products though. Cause my baby girl has sensitive skin and the SM Baby Line for Hypoallergenic formula is good for her.

sunnydaze

I've not heard of most of them. Just last night I stumbled across Thank god it's natural in the hair section and they look like they have items that I could use. I'll purchase some of their creams and look into the others.

Kinky Curly Knot Today I use regularly. Good stuff!

There are lots of JBCO companies to add to the list as well.

I love their twist cream for both mine (3c/4a) and my daughter's (4a/b) twist outs. Very moisturizing with the right amount of hold.

naturalgyrl5199

I've tried Mielle Organics and I like their leave-in especially when I wear my hair in braids. Ladies what other brands posted here have you used that has great moisture?
I like Curls. It was good for my baby when she had that baby hair. Light but worked. I bought some Mielle Organics that I liked.
Honestly Design Essentials has a Natural Line that I love and my salon uses that product. Its always been good to me. I used the DE Leave in with avocado this morning on my wash n go...and yasssss.... Better than the SM JBCO Line I've been using for years.

auntybe

I am going to finish the Shea Moisture I have then. I am going to try some of the other lines I have not tried.

Kimiche

I like Curls. It was good for my baby when she had that baby hair. Light but worked. I bought some Mielle Organics that I liked.
Honestly Design Essentials has a Natural Line that I love and my salon uses that product. Its always been good to me. I used the DE Leave in with avocado this morning on my wash n go...and yasssss.... Better than the SM JBCO Line I've been using for years.
Thank you! :smile: I will look into the Design Essentials products. :yep: