Sheamoisture Is Cancelled: 26 Black-owned Hair Care Brands You Can Support Instead

Smiley79

Am I the only one who wasn't up in arms over this SM ordeal? When I saw the ad and the backlash, I just did a Kanye shrug and kept it moving. :rolleyes:

My issue with SM was seeing them roll out so many new products, so fast. It was like a snowball rolling down hill out of control. I remember thinking that eventually something would suffer; in this case, I'm thinking it was attention to detail (i.e advertisement, product quality, etc). Slow down things a little bit :stop:; think before you put out something. I don't believe their intent was malicious or to undermine WOC but unfortunately the outcome stung and created backlash. Hopefully the lesson learned is to slow down a bit at the SM headquarters, regroup and move forward.

On a more positive note, this is one of the most exciting times in natural hair history; the aisles at Target, CVS, Walgreens, Sallys and Walmart are loaded with a variety of vendors/products for me to choose from. If SM doesn't work for me, I'll just move on to the next one. :look: I love supporting small businesses and plan to continue to venture out a little more; (only issue is the shipping sometimes:()

Anyways, here are a few others if they weren't already mentioned:

Curl Dynasty

Naturally Smitten

Kurlee Belle

Earth Tones Naturals

Soul Ingredients

Last edited:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Target has really stepped it up and us offering a lot of these products in stores. My local target is in lily whites ville yet it carries Alikay naturals, Mielle organics, Mane choice, design essentials, curls, Taliah waahid, tgin, Soultanicals, Camille rose naturals, miss Jessie's, oyin handmade, and I think they have kinky curly. Shea moisture used to be the only one in stores but other brands have caught up and are in target, Walmart, walgreens, and cvs. Today I saw Camille Rose naturals at cvs.
Carol's daughter effed up at a time we're they thought they were all alone but other natural companies were cropping up ONLINE. So they got a wake up call. Now Shea Moisture is ****** up at a time where other natural brands are also breaking into stores and are more available. They are no longer alone. They survived so long and made a big name for themselves because they were the most accessible. Not anymore.

THIS.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Am I the only one who wasn't up in arms over this SM ordeal? When I saw the ad I just did a Kanye shrug and kept it moving. :rolleyes: My issue w/ SM was seeing them roll out so many new products so fast. It was like a snowball rolling down hill out of control. It was too much because I thought that eventually something would suffer; in this case, I'm thinking it was attention to detail (i.e advertisement, quality, etc). Slow down things a little bit, and think before you put out something. I don't believe their intent was malicious or to undermine WOC but unfortunately the outcome stung. Hopefully the lesson learned is to slow down a bit back at the SM headquarters.

On a positive note, this is one of the most exciting times in natural hair history; the aisles at Target, CVS, Walgreens, Sallys and Walmart are loaded with a variety of vendors/products for me to choose from. If SM doesn't work for me, I'll just move on to the next one. I love supporting small businesses and plan to continue to venture out a little more; (only issue is the shipping sometimes:()

Anyways, here are a few others if they weren't already mentioned:

Curl Dynasty

Naturally Smitten

Kurlee Belle

Earth Tones Naturals

Soul Ingredients

I could NOT agree with this post MORE.

Commercial didn't even make me blink. Too much other great stuff going on!

Oooooo! Thanks for sharing the last two. Hadn't heard of them.

@Coilystep, I want to try that Mane Choice DC! The ingredients and reviews! Can you detangle with it? I wonder if it could bump the SM hipo masque.

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
I could NOT agree with this post MORE.

Commercial didn't even make me blink. Too much other great stuff going on!

Oooooo! Thanks for sharing the last two. Hadn't heard of them.

@Coilystep, I want to try that Mane Choice DC! The ingredients and reviews! Can you detangle with it? I wonder if it could bump the SM hipo masque.
I had already detangled with my rinse out conditioner in the shower before applying. So I don't know if it would be good for detangling.

OhTall1

Am I the only one who wasn't up in arms over this SM ordeal? When I saw the ad I just did a Kanye shrug and kept it moving. :rolleyes: My issue w/ SM was seeing them roll out so many new products so fast. It was like a snowball rolling down hill out of control. It was too much because I thought that eventually something would suffer; in this case, I'm thinking it was attention to detail (i.e advertisement, quality, etc). Slow down things a little bit, and think before you put out something.
Nope, I wasn't either, but it had more to do with my disinterest in having natural hair included in a commercial where the theme was "hair hate". I think there still would've been negative backlash.
And to add to your comment about too many new products, there was also the issue of having product exclusives at specific stores. I don't know if this is still true, but at one point, one SM line was only available at Sally's, one was an Ulta exclusive, and there was a third that could only be bought at Target. Thanks but no thanks.

Blue_Berry

@**SaSSy** I felt the same way about the owner of Uncle Funky's Daughter before she closed her salon and store in Houston to only promote her brand. She was a real *****, rude, and disrespectful to her costumers

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
This does not surprise me, at all.

Probably going all in Qhemet Biologics for leave ins if the Burdock Root performs well. I'm hinking of using instead of my HG (BUT GREASY) Camille Rose Almond Jai twisting butter.
That QB Ghee has been a game changer for me.

I've already backed away from SM shampoo and transitioned to clay washings (love).

..and I'll never give up on my KeraCare Humecto in the tub.

gemruby41

Am I the only one who wasn't up in arms over this SM ordeal? When I saw the ad and the backlash, I just did a Kanye shrug and kept it moving. :rolleyes:

My issue with SM was seeing them roll out so many new products, so fast. It was like a snowball rolling down hill out of control. I remember thinking that eventually something would suffer; in this case, I'm thinking it was attention to detail (i.e advertisement, product quality, etc). Slow down things a little bit :stop:; think before you put out something. I don't believe their intent was malicious or to undermine WOC but unfortunately the outcome stung and created backlash. Hopefully the lesson learned is to slow down a bit at the SM headquarters, regroup and move forward.

On a more positive note, this is one of the most exciting times in natural hair history; the aisles at Target, CVS, Walgreens, Sallys and Walmart are loaded with a variety of vendors/products for me to choose from. If SM doesn't work for me, I'll just move on to the next one. :look: I love supporting small businesses and plan to continue to venture out a little more; (only issue is the shipping sometimes:()
The commercial didn't bother me that much either. I buy products based on how they perform on my hair, not by what vendor makes it.

I've never been a Shea Moisture user. I bought it recently just after Christmas in a gift pack and only because it was on clearance for a low price. I just wanted to see what the hype was about. I wasn't pressed because I like everything I already use.

I didn't see what the hype is about and I haven't touched the bottle of conditioner since the first time. No loss for me.

I do understand the silliness and disrespect about the commercial. People think it's about who was included, not who was excluded. They need a clue.