Sheamoisture Is Cancelled: 26 Black-owned Hair Care Brands You Can Support Instead

Curls&Justice417

This is just disappointing, not because I love Shea Moisture but they really put the nail in their own coffin on this one. I saw an article about this on facebook and of course the white ladies were making comments like, "jeez what's the big deal?" and "people have too much time on their hands." Really. **** your a** down and go shampoo with some V05 please and mind your own business.:look::rolleyes:

I'll finish the products I have but I won't be purchasing more. The Manuka honey was good but they weren't miracle workers anyway...

Rastafarai

I'm I the only one who loved Shea Moisture and is heartbroken by this? They were my staple haircare/ skincare line. I will finish my stash but I will be looking for replacements. Any recommendations of great skin care lines that is Black owned?

What do you currently use that works for your skin?

But we were recently talking about this line on here:

https://jacqsorganics.com/collections/all

And there is this line: http://www.nyrajuskincare.com/

Not sure what to recommend if you prefer something on the ground/over the counter.

Last edited:

kanozas

se ven las caras pero nunca el corazón
Citation of articles is very important. How else will people spread the message legally and effectively? https://officialblackwallstreet.com/sheamoisture-cancelled-black-owned-haircare-products/

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is just disappointing, not because I love Shea Moisture but they really put the nail in their own coffin on this one. I saw an article about this on facebook and of course the white ladies were making comments like, "jeez what's the big deal?" and "people have too much time on their hands." Really. **** your a** down and go shampoo with some V05 please and mind your own business.:look::rolleyes:

I'll finish the products I have but I won't be purchasing more. The Manuka honey was good but they weren't miracle workers anyway...

SMH. Because they don't get it, they use their WP privilege to malign BW who have the perfect right to protest mistreatment. And guess who comes to their defense, BM (also, permanently nailing their own coffins).

olive oil, almond oil, argan, cactus oil... for skin and hair...mixtress your way to success

Try an Arab shop. They come potted like this or in pouches etc. "Savon Beldi"

http://africaimports.com/items.asp?Cc=hair&Bc=

Novex of Brazil

Wouldn't it be nice if we could come up with a product of LHCF? I wish.

Last edited:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
It was discussed several years ago, when "Bain Capital" took on a significant amount of the business - that SM would become a commonplace, watered down, reformulated, over saturated brand like VO5, White Rain etc....

This comes as no surprise to those of us that saw this coming a few years ago with that acquisition. I'm glad SM really was never a brand I used.

I found the picture of the Leadership Team offensive. I guess there's nothing in that company now black folks can do?

I'm definitely interested in Natty Naturals. Will take a serious look at that one.

Misseyl

I'll miss SheaMoisture because that's all I use. It gave my natural 4c hair definition, it was cheap and it was easy to find in stores. However, one must not forget where one comes from and what a good way to remind them, by hitting them in the pocket. And yes, I just saw the commercial for the first time and it is insulting. Thank God I only have one bottle of SheaMoisture Curl and Style Milk in my stash and the shampoo is almost done. Now I will be searching for my next holy grail and it does not include SheaMoisture. I need a good detangling and conditioning shampoo, styling cream and a deep penetrating hair masque. I guess I'll start buying samples from the various brands listed here to see how my hair responds. Who knows, these new products might work better than any SheaMoisture product anyway. This is just the kind of wake-up call SheaMoisture needs. They are going to be kicking rocks, just like Carol's Daughter.:afro:

Last edited:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I'll miss SheaMoisture because that's all I use. It gave my natural 4c hair definition, it was cheap and it was easy to find in stores. However, one must not forget where one comes from and what a good way to remind them, by hitting them in the pocket. And yes, I just saw the commercial for the first time and it is insulting. Thank God I only have one bottle of SheaMoisture Curl and Style Milk in my stash and the shampoo is almost done. Now I will be searching for my next holy grail and it does not include SheaMoisture. I need a good detangling and conditioning shampoo, styling cream and a deep penetrating hair masque. I guess I'll start buying samples from the various brands listed here to see how my hair responds. Who knows, these new products might work better than any SheaMoisture product anyway. This is just the kind of wake-up call SheaMoisture needs. They are going to be kicking rocks, just like Carol's Daughter.:afro:

I think you're going to end up so elated that SM sent you elsewhere. You'll almost want to pay them thanks, I bet. :look:

niknakmac

This is me I pretty much exclusively used Shea Moisture for myself and my daughter's hair (both in the 4 family). In fact I have turned many family members and friends on to using them. I even love their body washes but I have to take a stand on this. I am so tired of Black women being pushed to the side and used. SO TIRED.

I will find some other natural black owned hair company to support.

kanozas

se ven las caras pero nunca el corazón
We need to support products made and promoted, marketed by, sold by WOMEN. We need to support the small entrepreneur and those larger companies of integrity. I watched some of that interview on R. Martin and who do they think they are they BW are bullied into supporting their company? I don't own SM and SM doesn't own me. Ridiculousness.

MizzBFly

This does not surprise me, at all.

Probably going all in Qhemet Biologics for leave ins if the Burdock Root performs well. I'm hinking of using instead of my HG (BUT GREASY) Camille Rose Almond Jai twisting butter.
That QB Ghee has been a game changer for me.

I've already backed away from SM shampoo and transitioned to clay washings (love).

..and I'll never give up on my KeraCare Humecto in the tub.
Yass!!! All day to clay washing. I ordered 5 bags of the Calcium Bentonite clay when a vendor had a sale. I've been fully natural for 3 years and JUST decided to use it again. :notworthy:Yo my hair is soft, curls poppin -I'm in love:love3:

Royalq

I hear the owner is going to be on The Breakfast Club tomorrow morning. I expect alot of ****** and heavy downplaying that will only upset black women even more. Then im sure a bunch of black men will jump it outta nowhere and wonder why we are targeting a black men instead of so-and-so. This wont end well for shea moisture.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
I've been using Sheamoisture and Nubian Hertiage products since I was 16 years old. Found them first in the local Muslim stores here.

My entire bathroom is nothing but SM body products. I have several items that I love from them for my hair. Matter of fact I bought two items today. The new protective style gel and leave in. Just to try out.

However as it stands I won't be supporting anymore. I give my money to small businesses anyway and mainly women so it's not a big deal to drop SM. It used to be 9.99 for everything and slowly everything is going up. I even peeped them selling rhassoul and bentonite clay now.

You made your money and brand off our back and now to diversify you exclude US. I use plenty of products that aren't geared for my kinky hair but I always come back to my black owned products for support and to put money back into us. It should be fitting for SM to remember that.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
I hear the owner is going to be on The Breakfast Club tomorrow morning. I expect alot of ****** and heavy downplaying that will only upset black women even more. Then im sure a bunch of black men will jump it outta nowhere and wonder why we are targeting a black men instead of so-and-so. This wont end well for shea moisture.

I will not be tuning in because I am not interested in anything he has to say. If the gate did open for him to be dragged, he would be sitting back collecting his coints. He's doing damage control because he wants BW to "forgive". No. I will never allow the way his company made me feel to be acceptable. My feelings matter.

He should have did better a long time ago, because his team did not just start their jobs yesterday. Someone was in charge. I know someone he just recruited to his company, so even if Rich tries to deny it, he has a lot of control on the image of his company.

He needs our money but we don't need to give it to him.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
SM knows BW buy waaaaaaaaaaaaay more Hair Products than any other group. BW has made and supported the entire H.air Industry.

They know the statistics, market research and all of that. They just think black women are so "forgiving" we will put up with and take any disrespect folks dish out. Not with our Dollars!

The amount spent of P.roducts and F.ake Hair annually in the Black Community is monumental.

I only imagine him seeing those profits dwindle away. Especially from the BW with disposable income.

The message may not get down to the masses of BW - but those of us that know better will certainly do better"

Last edited:

overtherainbow

I ran out of all of my staples (most of them Shea Moisture), so I tried to buy as many black owned products that I can find and afford on the ground.
I got:
Mielle Organics Babassu Oil DC (This is a holy grail)
Design Essentials coconut and monoi deep moisture souffle (Not sure if tjey are still BO, but another HG)
Oyin handmade burnt sugar Pomade
the mane choice shampoo

Guy's, this stuff was so pricy, I feel like bottling and selling my homemade holy grails.

ETA: ugh, just remembered I recommended their shampoo to my mother who was looking for a natural shampoo. I think she already bought it. Guess I'll be sending her either Mielle Organics or the Mane Choice line for mothers day for her to try.

Last edited: