Sheamoisture Lovers/haters/replacers...? Get In Here!! :)

What category are you when it comes to SheaMoisture products?

• Hater

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • Replacer

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • Lover

Votes: 26 35.1%

• Total voters

fuchsiastar

This thread is for all of the ladies that have had personal experience with using specific Shea Moisture products!! Which category do you fall into...are you a lover, hater or replacer?

Do you need to replace them OR have you already replaced them with something better? I'll be keeping a master list here for those suggestions.

HATERS: Have you already used a specific SheaMoisture product but didn't like it and found another staple product. Tell us about it here!! Why did you hate it and what did you replace it with? What were your results?

REPLACERS: Do you have a specific SheaMoisture product in your current regimen and are actively looking for a replacement? Tell us what you are looking to replace and I'll add it to the list!

LOVERS: Do you LOVE SheaMoisture and have zero plans to replace it in your regimen. Well listen sis, everything is replaceable so I'll bet your cousins can find you something better, more moisturizing and more luscious for those strands :giggle: Tell us what you love and why, you know somebody on here will have you covered!

Additional Resources: Are you looking for a black owned product line, but have no specific loyalties to one particular product? Well then check this thread out! You can also check this thread out if you are a lover or hater and want to discuss the larger company situation.

Disclaimer: Please refrain from discussions on the politics of their company situation, wavy vs coily hair models being used in the ads, and anything else unrelated to hair health and specific products. There are already threads for those discussions. Keep this one specifically for product talk please.

Last edited:

fuchsiastar

Master List to Replace SheaMoisture Products

Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil Line
  • Intensive Hydration Hair Masque Options:
    • TGIN Honey Miracle Hair Masque
Jamaican Black Castor Oil Product Line
  • Strengthen & Grow Shampoo Options:
  • Strengthen, Grow & Restore Treatment Masque Options:
Coconut & Hibiscus Product Line:
  • Hold & Shine Moisture Mist Options:
    • Cantu Shea Butter Coconut Oil Shine and Hold Mist
    • Mane Choice Tropical Moringa Spray
    • Palmers Coconut Oil Leave In
  • Shampoo Options:
    • Palmers Coconut Oil Conditioning Shampoo
  • Curl Enhancing Smoothie Options:
  • Curling Souffle Options:
  • Styling Milk Options:
Raw Shea Butter Product Line:
  • Raw Shea Butter Lotion Options:
  • Deep Treatment Masque Options:
African Black Soap Product Line:
  • African Black Soap Bar Soap Options:
  • African Black Soap Skin Toner Options:
  • African Black Soap Skin Moisturizer Options:
Cosmetics Line: Marketing says this line has no parabens, no petrolatum, no synthetic fragrance, no talc, no toxins, no mineral oil, no phthalates, no pesticides, no animal testing.
  • Eyeliner Options:
  • Mascara Options:
  • CC Cream Options:
  • Pressed Powder Options:
  • Coconut & Hibiscus Moisturizer:
Hair Color Line:

Olive & Green Tea Line:
  • Body Wash Options:
Originals Shea Butter Line:
  • Shea Butter Ultra Rich Moisturizing Body Lotion Options:
Mongongo & Hemp Seed Oil Line:
  • High Porosity Moisture-Seal Masque Options:
Lavender & Wild Orchid Line:
  • Body Wash Options:

General Recommendations
  • Moisturizing Shampoo Options:
    • Camille Rose Naturals Sweet Ginger Cleansing Rinse
    • Palmers Coconut Oil Conditioning Shampoo
    • Honey Baby Naturals Honeychild Moisture & Scalp Balance Gentle Shampoo
    • Mane Choice Shampoos
  • Deep Conditioner/Hair Masque Options:
    • Jane Carter Repair & Revive Mask
    • Aphogee Curlific Texture Treatment
    • Miss Jessie’s Rapid Recovery Treatment/Super Sweetback Treatment
    • Pure Oils By Silk Elements Intense Conditioning & Hydration Masque
    • True by Made Beautiful Intense Treatment Masque
    • ORS Replenishing Conditioner
    • Silicon Mix - all varieties

Last edited:

faithVA

I'm a hater. I tried several products and my hair either hated them or was just unimpressed This was before they had 52 different lines. After trying the initial set oc products I'm not willing to try multiple lines to see if one works.

Most of the products are just too heavy for my hair. There is too much Shea butter and it just leaves my hair looking dull and gray.

My current go to line is TGIN. My hair likes the full line so far, especially the leave in and daily moisturizer. That's a big task for my hair because my hair generally doesn't like much.

fuchsiastar

I'm a Replacer! I am not product loyal at all, but since we went about streamlining the products in our home some of their items became a staple. Now I'm faced with replacing them due to my personal politics, but need to have a suitable or better option. I used their Raw Shea Butter body lotion almost exclusively in place of my previous shea lotion habit, and I might go back but know there are probably better options that also will more closely align with my personal (read: Blackity Black :giggle: ) politics.

Last edited:

Crystalicequeen123

I'm a hater. I tried several products and my hair either hated them or was just unimpressed This was before they had 52 different lines. After trying the initial set oc products I'm not willing to try multiple lines to see if one works.

Most of the products are just too heavy for my hair. There is too much Shea butter and it just leaves my hair looking dull and gray.

My current go to line is TGIN. My hair likes the full line so far, especially the leave in and daily moisturizer. That's a big task for my hair because my hair generally doesn't like much.

This is me as well. :yep:

I just haven't been impressed ENOUGH with Shea Moisture's hair care line to stay loyal to them. In fact, I find that I'll try a new product of theirs in order to hopefully love it, but in the end, it just isn't all that great. :ohwell:

I think the shea butter in ALL of their products is a bit too much for my fine, low-density hair. :nono: Less is more w/my hair I think.

I still have some Shea Moisture products under my sink that haven't been used up yet, but I have definitely REPLACED this care line with the Camille Rose Naturals Hair Care line. I haven't been using it for that long yet (only a few months), but so far, her products are working better for me, they smell heavenly, they're "all natural", and it is Black-Woman-Owned. :yep:

If anybody finds any duplicates for the JBCO strengthen and grow shampoo or the coconut and hibiscus moisture mist please let me know. I've tried tons of sprays/mists and my hair responds to this the best

Well....Idk about anyone else, but if your hair responds better to this Shea Moisture product, why not just keep using it?? :look:

I mean... If it works for YOU, then by all means, do what is healthiest for your hair, regardless of the politics involved. Or, see if you can find other products.

My HAIR health comes first though.... :yep:

LostInAdream

I'm a lover but will replace if I find suitable items. It took me a long while to find skin, makeup and hair in one line.

Hair (4abc look I don't know I have em all lol, normal porosity, fine strands and medium density)

Manuka honey deep treatment mask
Raw shea deep treatment mask

Skin
Black soap ( I've tried others theirs doesn't burn, I have sensitive combo acne prone skin it works great and skin doesn't feel stripped)
Black soap problem skin toner( reduces pores and feels great on my skin)
Black soap problem skin moisturizer (moisturizes dry and oil parts adequately while reducing shine)

Makeup- products are natural and good for my sensitive skin. I always get compliments on how good my skin looks when I have on cc cream and the powder.

Eyeliner
Mascara
Cc cream
Pressed Powder

Last edited:

SugarSweetCoco**

@fuchsiastar @Foxglove If your looking for a replacement to SM coconut & hibiscus moisture mist.. how about Cantu Shea Butter Coconut Oil Shine and Hold Mist.. has mixed reviews on amazon and haven't tried it.. but something I have tried is Palmers Coconut Oil Leave in! Quite protein rich but worked well for my hair..has hydrolyzed keratin and SAA. Their shampoo in that line is my official replacement for SM Coconut & Hibiscus. AHHMAZING.. inexpensive, moisturising and really leaves your hair soft like silk. #sorryforrambling :giggle::giggle: 9036295897118.jpg 1494352735934-917515538.jpg 1494352885469-1162564761.jpg

MilkChocolateOne

If anybody finds any duplicates for the JBCO strengthen and grow shampoo or the coconut and hibiscus moisture mist please let me know. I've tried tons of sprays/mists and my hair responds to this the best

moisturizing shampoos:

Honey Baby Naturals Honeychild Moisture & Scalp Balance Gentle Shampoo (love this)

Camille Rose Naturals Sweet Ginger Cleansing Rinse

Mane Choice Shampoos

fuchsiastar

I'm out here researching...LOL! As Jay said, I don't chase em, I replace em! :giggle: My fellow (stated-in-other-threads) Replacers or Haters, can you help us out on this topic please! Oh, and the labels are just for silliness and light-heartedness...please don't take offense :)

@HappilyLiberal - what sulfate free moisturizer and conditioner were you using? Have you found any replacements yet?

@JerriBlank - what baby products were you using for the little ones? Have you identified any better options?

@Rocky91 - did you find any replacements for that honey masque?

@Southernbella. - do you think the eden bodyworks jojoba manoi deep conditioner is a good replacement for the SM honey masque?

@JewelleNY - any suggestions on specific conditioner replacements?

@YvetteWithJoy and @naturalagain2 - do you think the Camille Rose Curl Maker can act as a replacement for SM Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie?

@Saludable84 - what are you using Camille Rose Ginger Rinse to replace from the SM line?

@Royalq - what did you get in replacement of the SM masque? How did it work for you?

Last edited:

fuchsiastar

I still have some Shea Moisture products under my sink that haven't been used up yet, but I have definitely REPLACED this care line with the Camille Rose Naturals Hair Care line. I haven't been using it for that long yet (only a few months), but so far, her products are working better for me, they smell heavenly, they're "all natural", and it is Black-Woman-Owned. :yep:

Do you have any specific product recommendations from Camille Rose that replace either the SM hair masques, conditioners, or other products? What do you like the most from their line?

I mean... If it works for YOU, then by all means, do what is healthiest for your hair, regardless of the politics involved. Or, see if you can find other products.

My HAIR health comes first though.... :yep:

The bolded is what this thread is all about :) Finding replacements where possible. I'm selfishly doing this too, because the SO is all about his waves and ain't having a SM exodus from our cabinets without having a suitable replacement.

Last edited:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
:wave:

Replacer here!

I need to replace:
  • Hair: The High Porosity Moisture-seal Masque
  • Face:
    • The tinted moisturizer in Medium
    • The hibiscus line face lotion/cream
  • Body:
    • The olive and green tea body wash (a favorite of hubby's)
    • The ultra rich moisturizing body lotion in the white packaging
In response to the question posed to me: The SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie is a cream, while the Camille Rose Naturals Curl Maker is a gel. Thus, I wouldn't say the latter could replace the former. HOWEVER, the CRN Curl Maker is VERY moisturizing.

I only liked the SM CES under gel anyway. While one of their most popular products, especially initially, it wasn't that great for me. No shade. :smile:

I desperately need a masque or DC that can soften dry hair and can DC hair in 5 minutes . . . that is silicone free. It will replace the SM Hipo masque.

APB Ultra Conditioning Soufflé is a nice DC, but the the SM Hipo masque elongates and auto-detangles my hair like magic. I don't know HOW I'll ever replace it. I'm going to try the Darcy's Botanicals Pumpkin Seed Conditioner and the Natty Naturals rhassoul clay DC. The Mielle Organics DC is good as a DC, but what I'm searching for is a softening, detangling, elongating product.

TIA for any suggestions!

Last edited:

fuchsiastar

@fuchsiastar @Foxglove If your looking for a replacement to SM coconut & hibiscus moisture mist.. how about Cantu Shea Butter Coconut Oil Shine and Hold Mist.. has mixed reviews on amazon and haven't tried it.. but something I have tried is Palmers Coconut Oil Leave in! Quite protein rich but worked well for my hair..has hydrolyzed keratin and SAA. Their shampoo in that line is my official replacement for SM Coconut & Hibiscus. AHHMAZING.. inexpensive, moisturising and really leaves your hair soft like silk. #sorryforrambling :giggle::giggle: View attachment 398109 View attachment 398111 View attachment 398115

Thank you for the recommendations! Did you previously use the Cowash Conditioning Cleanser or the Curl & Shine Shampoo from the SM Coconut & Hibiscus line? Also would you recommend the palmers leave in as a replacement for the SM hair masques?

Rastafarai

I have nothing to add because I hated every SM hair product I've ever used, but I have some suggestions:

1. Usually the first 5 ingredients of a product are all that matters. Maybe it might be useful to try and match the first 5 ingredients of SM holy grails to other products?

2. SM lovers could provide details on their hair - hair type, porosity, density, etc. - so other members with similar hair can offer suggestions on what works for them.

Worse case scenario is continuing with the support of this company, and if that is the case, sharing information on significantly discounted sales of these products for those interested in stocking up. :grin:

JerriBlank

*sighhhh*
Effuh you, Shea Moisture! We just finished some Skinfx body wash for them. I see Skinfx also has a lavender wash and lotion set. I was using the Manuka lavender set from Shea Moisture. It really was nice. Smh.
I picked up some Deep Steep pineapple coconut oil body wash. If it doesn't work for them, I'll finish it and get them the Skinfx lavender to try. I'm confident that it will work. We've had good results with them in the past.

Crystalicequeen123

Do you have any specific product recommendations from Camille Rose that replace either the SM hair masques, conditioners, or other products? What do you like the most from their line?

The bolded is what this thread is all about :) Finding replacements where possible. I'm selfishly doing this too, because the SO is all about his waves and ain't having a SM exodus from our cabinets without having a suitable replacement.

I can't really say if specific products "replace" SM, only because SM never really "worked" for me in the first place :look:

BUT, I can definitely say that I've tried a few of Camille Rose's products so far, and I LIKE them! :yep: Time will only tell if my hair thrives from her products, but over all, I think I like how my hair feels (and smells :blush: ) after using her products compared to SM. SM's shampoos always made my hair feel a bit stripped (believe it or not), and my hair felt coated.

With Camille, my hair feels CLEAN, but not stripped.

Here are the products I've tried and like so far:

Sweet Ginger Cleansing Rinse

I use this as my "shampoo", and it smells so nice. It cleans well, it's sulfate-free, but it STILL lathers and it doesn't make my hair feel too stripped. I think only ONE wash is really needed, but I've even washed my hair twice all over (I really had a lot of gunk in my hair) and my hair STILL didn't feel too stripped. :yep:

Moroccan Pear Conditioning Custard

I use this conditioner after I wash, and it smells HEAVENLY!!! :love: I LOVE it. It has great slip. :yep: I think it's best to rinse this out of the hair after 15 - 30 min though, because I notice that when I leave it in my hair for an hour or so, my hair feels more stripped than I'd like after a conditioner, but maybe using it as the bottle states is best. :yep:

Curl Love Moisture Milk

I LOVE this and use it as a Moisturizer or even as a twisting cream. :yep: It (again) smells heavenly, and makes my hair very SOFT.

I still want to try:

Curl Maker

Almond Jai Twisting Butter

Algae Renew Deep Conditioner

Coconut Water Penetrating Hair Conditioner Treatment

Coconut Water Leave-In Treatment

Maybe some other ladies have some reviews on her other products. :yep:

Here's her website if you want to check it out: https://www.camillerosenaturals.com/

I am sticking to ONE commercialized product line (I can still make my own homemade all-natural concoctions if I see fit) for a good 6 months, and I'll see how my hair does. I think using one product line is how hair products were meant to be used anyway, but I always product hop... :look: I'm going to keep my regimen SIMPLE, easy, and do protective styling, and see if I notice a better difference. :yep:

Crystalicequeen123

I actually started to feel overwhelmed by Shea Moisture and their hair care line. It seemed like almost every two weeks they were introducing yet ANOTHER hair care product out.... :look: They had a little too many products for my taste. At least with Camille Rose it's SIMPLE. :yep:

Idk... I just got confused with which Shea Moisture item to buy for MY hair because everything new was always coming out, and nothing I had tried before really helped me. I think they started off well at first, but then went a little TOO overboard with the products.

To this day I have no idea which product (shampoo & Conditioner) is good for me and MY hair. I tried so many different kinds of things, but nothing "wow'ed" me, ykwim? And their products aren't CHEAP. :nono:

HappilyLiberal

I'm out here researching...LOL! As Jay said, I don't chase em, I replace em! :giggle: My fellow (stated-in-other-threads) Replacers or Haters, can you help us out on this topic please! Oh, and the labels are just for silliness and light-heartedness...please don't take offense :)

@HappilyLiberal - what sulfate free moisturizer and conditioner were you using? Have you found any replacements yet?

I am still using up the last bottle of Shea Moisture I bought. I plan to try Camille Rose Naturals next.

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
I'm a HATER:

I tried a few of their products in the Raw Shea Butter and Coconut Hibiscus lines. Both lines left me with buildup and dryness mostly due to the shea butter content. The DCs were the worst in the bunch and the shampoos were ok, but eventually left their own buildup. I've checked out their other product lines but the butters are just too high up in the ingredient list for me to bother trying them. I know it won't work for my hair.

I can use practically any clarifying shampoo so long as its diluted. But my DC has to be butter, protein, petro, and heavy emulsifier free (I'm super low po and use GVP Nexxus Humectress). Leave ins won't absorb without heat, so my DC doubles as a leave in.

NaturalShe94

I'm a lover.
Love Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie, Styling Milk, Hold & Shine spray and Curling Souffle.

Love their JBCO Strengthen, Grow & Restore Deep Conditioner and Leave In.

Love the Low Porosity Protein Free line

Not saying that they can't be replaced, but, I'm not looking to replace them.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
@fuchsiastar great thread idea!!
So far I think the TGIN masque is doing okay as an replacement. I am doing a nonstop protective style rotation right now tho (weaves to braids to twists to weaves) soooo to be frank I will be able to more accurately assess when I am dealing with my loose natural hair.

I'm gonna be in here taking notes for sure. I don't think I am picky at all, I only have a few basic principles for my product choices:
-good fragrance that lingers
-I prefer to use one line as much as possible for a full wash day (so you have to have a cleanser, DC, moisturizer/styler that work well together at minimum)
-decent ingredients, don't have to be all natural necessarily just effective
-available in brick and mortar stores. Yea it's a no from me dawg when it comes to ordering product online, I'm too impatient for that.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I love the Coconut & Hibiscus Line and will not be replacing it - it works really, really well for my hair. The way my life is set up right now, I don't have time for trial and error with testing new products. I mainly rely on this line when traveling. When home, I mainly use handmade products.

beingofserenity

I am none of these. I like shea moisture, but I don't need to use them. I liked, but did not love, their deep conditioners. I liked their moisturizers, but they can be residue-y. Their shampoos worked okay but not great on my hair, kind of left my hair tangly. Detanglers were moisturizing but not very detangling. I'm finding that I don't really need a lot of product anymore, so the only thing I'd maybe repurchase are masks, oils, or hair perfume. Das it.

KinksAndInk

Professional Napper
Before this latest nonsense I was already in the process of phasing them out, not because they don't work for me, but because the bogo free sales stopped or only show up at Rite Aid which is a waste of gas money. The raw shea butter mask was bae but I've found replacements. All of the products I've tried have worked for me, some were a bit heavy for my fine hair but they worked. But then again, my hair dies have issues with much except aloe vera juice (which I tried the day after I big chopped and I'm sure the bad results were user error but I can't be bothered to figure out how to work it into my regimen).

All that being said, my mom and I use their hair coloring system (me bright auburn and previously light blonde, her jet black) and this will not be replaced unless there is a formula change. We've tried others but this works best for our hair. No dryness, no breakage, no irritation.

PJaye

I just wanted to add that in addition to Camille Rose and TGIN, some other effective OTG products that may replace the SM DCs are:

Jane Carter Repair & Revive Mask
Aphogee Curlific Texture Treatment
Miss Jessie’s Rapid Recovery Treatment/Super Sweetback Treatment
Pure Oils By Silk Elements Intense Conditioning & Hydration Masque
True by Made Beautiful Intense Treatment Masque
ORS Replenishing Conditioner
Silicon Mix (all of 'em)

Also, the Jane Carter Untangle Me Leave-in and Mielle Hair Milk are very good OTG possible replacements for the SM leave-ins and refreshers. And, some excellent OTG non-stripping cleansers/cowashes that could serve as replacements are ORS Creamy Aloe Shampoo, along with Jane Carter's Creamy Conditioning Cleanser, Conditioning & Cleansing Cowash and Curls on the Go Cowash. The JC products are ridiculously moisturizing while offering a sick amount of slip, and allows me to detangle while cleansing instead of waiting for a DC to do the job. As for stylers, the only one that offers consistent results as far as slip, moisture, softness, shine and definition on both wet and dry hair is the Bel Nouvo Coco Castor Pudding.

CurlyRy

Does anybody have a replacement for the Curling Gel Souffle? I had some underneath my cabinet and remember how everybody hated it and I decided to give it a try...and I'm actually in love with the results :crybaby:

I just feel slightly guilty using it :/ (although I have mixed feelings about that) But I'm interested in alternatives. I actually like how heavy it is and how it doesn't get crunchy . Any suggestions?