Sheamoisture Lovers/haters/replacers...? Get In Here!! :)

What category are you when it comes to SheaMoisture products?

• Hater

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • Replacer

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • Lover

Votes: 26 35.1%

• Total voters

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
I didn't even know i was tagged in this thread.

@fuchsiastar I used CRN GR to replace the SM JBCO Poo which I also did vice versa.

The CRN doesn't state it's a Poo so when I got it, I liked it, but was also upset it was a poo. I've said this many times lol. The SM wasn't bad but did leave a film. I had excellent moisture retention though when using the SM.

The CRN is good but I do see why people find it stripping. I heavy seal, so I need something that will cleanse and this does the job. When I just do WNG, it does clean well, but I have no issues with a good Cleanser since I'm LoPo.

Evolving78

I'm a HATER:

I tried a few of their products in the Raw Shea Butter and Coconut Hibiscus lines. Both lines left me with buildup and dryness mostly due to the shea butter content. The DCs were the worst in the bunch and the shampoos were ok, but eventually left their own buildup. I've checked out their other product lines but the butters are just too high up in the ingredient list for me to bother trying them. I know it won't work for my hair.

I can use practically any clarifying shampoo so long as its diluted. But my DC has to be butter, protein, petro, and heavy emulsifier free (I'm super low po and use GVP Nexxus Humectress). Leave ins won't absorb without heat, so my DC doubles as a leave in.
Those are the ones I purchased in the past, and it just didn't work for my hair. I used the bjco shampoo and it was stripping and that manuka was a heavy masque, so it offered no slip.

I do like their spray bottles! I pour their stuff out and use the bottles! They have great spray pumps! Comes out like a mist!

beautyaddict1913

If anybody finds any duplicates for the JBCO strengthen and grow shampoo or the coconut and hibiscus moisture mist please let me know. I've tried tons of sprays/mists and my hair responds to this the best
I really liked the JBCO shampoo too. Is it discontinued? I haven't purchased in a while

Tefnut

I never gotten into their hair products though I have a few. I do love SM's lotions (always got them in gift bags) and their soaps are great. I use the SM and Nubian Heritage (original/natural formulas) black soaps on my face and my skin looks amazing (I like the Nubian Heritage a bit better). I drinks lots of water, exercise and take vitamins but I know my skin is glowing because I use these soaps also (my skin was looking good when I was using the soaps without exercising/vitamins/water but now it's even better). I really like TGIN soaps too as they are very moisturising. I haven't used them on my face though.

When it comes to shampoos and deep conditioners I never got on the "natural hair" products bandwagon primarily because I had to use "regular" products when I first went natural years ago. I also think that many of these newbie lines are joking if they think my hair won't drink up those little bottles of conditioner in 1 or 2 washes. I use what works on my hair and it tends to be products with solid ingredients that could be used on natural or chemical treated hair.

I use black-owned Straight Request shampoos and deep conditioners primarily. I just bought a new one and will update in October's hit/misses thread once I use it.

Last edited:

Tefnut

I was in the grocery store last night and happened upon the SM hair colors, had me like ...

The colors looked vibrant on the box and it's good to know they're very moistursing. I won't be dying my hair anytime soon but the dye variety did catch my attention.

Before this latest nonsense I was already in the process of phasing them out, not because they don't work for me, but because the bogo free sales stopped or only show up at Rite Aid which is a waste of gas money. The raw shea butter mask was bae but I've found replacements. All of the products I've tried have worked for me, some were a bit heavy for my fine hair but they worked. But then again, my hair dies have issues with much except aloe vera juice (which I tried the day after I big chopped and I'm sure the bad results were user error but I can't be bothered to figure out how to work it into my regimen).

All that being said, my mom and I use their hair coloring system (me bright auburn and previously light blonde, her jet black) and this will not be replaced unless there is a formula change. We've tried others but this works best for our hair. No dryness, no breakage, no irritation.

demlew

I was in the grocery store last night and happened upon the SM hair colors, had me like ...

The colors looked vibrant on the box and it's good to know they're very moistursing. I won't be dying my hair anytime soon but the dye variety did catch my attention.

I've used the hair dye before too and really liked it. I stick with henna just because I like the ritual of doing it, but I'd definitely buy the SM again.

KinksAndInk

Professional Napper

I really love it. Hate the new boxes though. The artwork used to be so pretty. I was just saying that I need to grab another box today. I dyed my hair the wrong color last time. I grabbed light auburn instead of bright auburn. But I ended up liking the color a lot. I need to stop being cheap and buy two boxes.

charmtreese

Does anybody have a replacement for the Curling Gel Souffle? I had some underneath my cabinet and remember how everybody hated it and I decided to give it a try...and I'm actually in love with the results :crybaby:

I just feel slightly guilty using it :/ (although I have mixed feelings about that) But I'm interested in alternatives. I actually like how heavy it is and how it doesn't get crunchy . Any suggestions?

I can't find a replacement for it!! This is a MUST product for me when twisting my hair.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I can't find a replacement for it!! This is a MUST product for me when twisting my hair.

For twist outs, you say, or simply for twisting?

Aaaaah. I have been so tempted to try this product once more: The first jar I got was completely solid and unusable. It smells great and the ingredients look great. I keep picking up jars that contain gel that actually moves, and just putting it right back down because I've taken SM off of my vendor list.

I keep imagining shiny, well-defined, yummy-smelling, moisturized twist outs. Let me get out of this thread.

imaginary

Used to be a fan but I'm not a big fan anymore. Currently looking to replace my HG leave-in Coconut and Hibiscus Curl and Shine Conditioner

demlew

I used the purification masque for the first time in a while and it's still great! I also buy the family-size Superfruit masque from their site bc it's only $2-$3 more and they will sometimes offer 30% off.

Soaring Eagle

Singin’ the praises of the baggy method
I’m a lover all the way. I can only think of one or two products from them that I simply didn’t like. I’ve tried a lot of their products, and many of them are staples. Since being on this forum, I have been introduced to many different brands, both affordable and expensive. Most of those products still have yet to perform better than my staple SM products.

The only reason I venture off is because I’m a product junkie, but my hair likes what it likes. I also have no qualms about them as a company.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I keep spending money on DCs, trying to find one to replace the only one that has ever given me LASTING moisture, the SM Honey Manuka masque.

I was probably one of the few people that found that CEO's speech and practices enraging. I was literally enraged. Now, every now and then, I give him coins for that masque. :cry3:Because of that breach, I went ahead and bought a leave in to use to try to make an ayurvedic curl activator, too. :(

I'll try the Lush honey-containing mask next. Maybe it will be the winning replacer.

Alta Angel

I am a lover:
I love the African Black Soap Mask
Dandruff shampoo as a facial cleanser
Curl Enhancing Smoothie
Hair Milk
JBCO Leave In
Manuka Honey shampoo and conditioner
Gel souflee

LuvlyRain3

I keep spending money on DCs, trying to find one to replace the only one that has ever given me LASTING moisture, the SM Honey Manuka masque.

I was probably one of the few people that found that CEO's speech and practices enraging. I was literally enraged. Now, every now and then, I give him coins for that masque. :cry3:Because of that breach, I went ahead and bought a leave in to use to try to make an ayurvedic curl activator, too. :(

I'll try the Lush honey-containing mask next. Maybe it will be the winning replacer.

Have you tried TGIN honey miracle hair mask??? It blows SM honey and manuka out of the water for me.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Have you tried TGIN honey miracle hair mask??? It blows SM honey and manuka out of the water for me.

I only had the sample. Was okay. Maybe if I'd had more it would have been great? Also, I need to know more about whether the cone in it will block my ayurvedic herbs.

beingofserenity

Of the shampoos I've tried, I didn't really like any.

Of the masks, my favorite was the jbco with the high porosity mask as a not bad. Not sure if I'll ever re-purchase.

I like the moisturizers though. The only things I consistently come back to.

LuvlyRain3

I only had the sample. Was okay. Maybe if I'd had more it would have been great? Also, I need to know more about whether the cone in it will block my ayurvedic herbs.

They’re cones are water soluble so you should be good. A sample would only be enough for me to dc my edges so I’m sure you needed more lol.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
I was on instagram and saw the original SM leave in conditioner ( in the white bottle).

Mayne, that was ultimate BAE. I didn't even stop ask how she purchased it because I will not be caught up in going around the world to find it.

I just came in here to say I still love the Low porosity leave in conditioner. Im using one and have one left. Its acting like a curl activator gel under this wig. Hair is super moist!

TamaraShaniece

Ayurvedic Life
I’m all 3 (Lover Replacer Hater)

I LOVE the Shea Moisture High Porosity Mask, I found this to be their best conditioner. I’ve tried 4-5 other masks and hated them all. I did replace this conditioner with Camille Rose Naturals Coconut Water Penetrating Treatment which gives me great moisture. Not as intense as the HP mask though.

I was a faithful user of the Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie & Curl Refresher Spray. The CES was replaced w/ Camille Rose Naturals Coconut Water Setting Creme and the spray was replaced with Belle Bar Organics Curl Refresher Spray or regular Rose Water is ok too.

BeautifulRoots

I'm a replacer.

I used to use the raw Shea butter shampoo, conditioner, and body wash for YEARS. Then recently it seems the formula changed and it wasn't as effective anymore. Also the ingredients were not as good as they used to be.

For shampoo I now use alaffia liquid African black soap. Dr bronners for body wash. And Giovanni 2chic ultra moist deep deep moisture hair mask.

So far so good. I like the black soap, the conditioner is good and works, but still open to suggestions. Trying to keep my hair and body products as natural as possible.

PlanetCybertron

There are three lines in particular that I only really like.

100% Virgin Coconut oil (shampoo and conditioner only)

Manuka Honey (DC only)

High Porosity Baobab (Conditioner only)

Every other line I either use once, or turn it into a shower moisturizer for my skin.

Right now I have the Raw Shea Butter and JBCO, and while I do like these products, I’m still having issues with giant knots in my hair and neither of these products do much in detangling department. They keep the moisture/protein balances of my hair on point, but that’s really it. The 100% virgin coconut line I absolutely loved because it was light enough to use every single day during the summer. The other two I buy here and there if I’m having issues with lack of moisture/protein balances.

I have tried one or two products from Camille Rose but would like to try most of the line out since I’m not really loyal to any particular brand.