DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Hello great ladies of LHCF!

I am willing to pay $$$ on a professional pair of hair shears.

Here's the issue:

Despite constant seek and destroy and dustings I realized splits and ssk are still appearing a week later.

Having fine, low density and slow growing hair, this is unacceptable because progress to my ultimate goal of full apl is at a snail's pace. :pullhair:

Yesterday I researched professional sites and there were mentions that splits from bad cutting implements show up in just a cpl days after a haircut. There was also a thread a few months back with someone's komaza results and they said her problem might be poor shears. Im convinced this has been happening to me! I've deduced my cheap Target and CVS shears are killing my ends and progress :nono:

Everything else is right-- protein, moisturizing and sealing, vitamins, great products and regimen. The hair growing out of my head is the healthiest it's ever been my entire life. Hair in PS 95% of time. But the ends stay frayed just days after a trim or seek and destroy despite the constant snipping.

Do you ladies have brand recommendations on shears? Once I get them, where do I go to keep them sharpened?

TIA!

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
I bought my professional shears on ebay for around $25. I'll just buy another pair when they need to be sharpened, because I don't have too much $$$ invested in them.

ETA: I keep a pair of Goody shears hidden in my car. Natural daylight, is the best for "Notice and Destroys." I'm too lazy for S&D :look:

You can by the Goody shears at King Soopers, which is your Kroger grocery store for around $7.50, when they have a 50% off promo. That promo runs about every 4-6 weeks.

Also, it's a good time to stock up on the Goody Ouchless hair clips that Kimmyetube (sp?) turned everyone on to.

Last edited:

Rozlewis

I just recently purchased the shears from the Main Choice website but they have not arrived yet. they were $49.99 but there was a 20% off sale. I can report back after I receive and use them. I don't think I will sharpen them. I will just buy anew pair when they get worn.

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
I just recently purchased the shears from the Main Choice website but they have not arrived yet. they were $49.99 but there was a 20% off sale. I can report back after I receive and use them. I don't think I will sharpen them. I will just buy anew pair when they get worn.
I think @Aggie. Bought those shears from MC for BF.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
I bought my professional shears on ebay for around $25. I'll just buy another pair when they need to be sharpened, because I don't have too much $$$ invested in them.

ETA: I keep a pair of Goody shears hidden in my car. Natural daylight, is the best for "Notice and Destroys." I'm too lazy for S&D :look:

You can by the Goody shears at King Soopers, which is your Kroger grocery store for around $7.50, when they have a 50% off promo. That promo runs about every 4-6 weeks.

Also, it's a good time to stock up on the Goody Ouchless hair clips that Kimmyetube (sp?) turned everyone on to.
Appreciate this! I was about to go all in and get a fancy $150+ shears. But your method of buying a good but less expensive pair and tossing when dull is even better. I think these drug store ones just start off too dull to begin with. Moving away from that.

Thanks for the clips tip! I am in the market for these too and will pick some up.
I bought a $20 pair of shears from Sally's and sharpened then right away with my knife sharpener and my ends are awesome now. They used to STAY poofy
Thanks! It hadnt occurred to me that I could buy a cheaper pair and sharpen them myself with my kitchen knife sharpener! I will try this weekend and see if my cheapie Target scissors act right.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Please update this thread. It would be great to have a running thread on shears and great (or mot so great) brands to buy! :yep:

claud-uk

Appreciate this! I was about to go all in and get a fancy $150+ shears. But your method of buying a good but less expensive pair and tossing when dull is even better. I think these drug store ones just start off too dull to begin with. Moving away from that.

Thanks for the clips tip! I am in the market for these too and will pick some up.

Thanks! It hadnt occurred to me that I could buy a cheaper pair and sharpen them myself with my kitchen knife sharpener! I will try this weekend and see if my cheapie Target scissors act right.

Fiskar do scissor sharpeners, I would be wary of using anything but for sharpening hair shears.

faithVA

Just an FYI, I believe a quality pair of sheers needs sharpening after 400 cuts. So for our purposes our sheers shouldn't need sharpening any time soon.

Last edited:

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I bought mine from the scissor man who comes by my school.lol all I know is that they are sharp and are Japanese stainless steel. So try looking for that quality. I'm very pleased with them

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
I buy a new pair every January from Target or Sally's for around $10. No matter how often I've used it throughout the year...and I usually only trim once or twice a year if that. It's just my little tradition.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
So I ended up getting a $50 pair of Japanese steel shears from Sally. It was a really nice surprise to see they offered more high end cutting tools.

Anyhoo, its been a month and theyve made a BIG DIFFERENCE. When I got them did a dust then seek and destroy.

No further splits and a lot less ssk. No other changes to my regimen. So this is good and hopefully my retention rate will pick up.

Last edited: