Shedders, share your tips!

Miosy

I'm a major shedder and I am always looking for some tips from other shedders :)

Share your tips on techniques that has helped you survive your shedding struggles :)

Here are some of mine:

1. Wash at least 2x week to remove all shed hair. If I spend a week w/o washing I get a whole lot of shed hairs at once and end up breaking my normal hair.

2. If you relax, relax on schedule. I don' know why but the longer I prolong my relaxer I shed like a dog :(

3. Gently remove shed hair w/ my hands. Try to manuver any shed hair attached to norma hairl w/ my hands very very gently.

4. Hair vitamins does help my shedding slow down when ever I remember to take them :grin:

....I can't think of anything else :)

Miosy said:
If you relax, relax on schedule. I don' know why but the longer I prolong my relaxer I shed like a dog :(

This is the reason why my relaxer is a must by 8 weeks. Anything after that and I have major shedding issues, too. :whyme:

sunnygirl

Sunnygirl
I hate to say it but I have reduced this problem by going natural. I only loose a few strands when washing a combing my hair out which is the only time I really comb my hair. It is amazing how strong my natural hair is and how little hair I loose.

L

lkg4healthyhair

For my post pardum shedding:

-Wash weekly at domincan salon (bring my own products)
-I just started to wash my own hair 4 days after dom salon because my hair seems to start to shed if I don't--so its gets washed every 3 or 4 days
-Keraphix and emergencee by Nexxus REALLY helped (i alternated weekly)
-Multivitamin geared toward hair growth
-Leave-ins: Salerm 21 and Nioxin Follicle Booster on scalp
-Very careful detangling (Jilbere comb)
-Don't comb from root to tip

My shedding has stopped incredibly. I just started using Aubrey's GPB as a pre-shampoo (prior to dom salon visits) and I will be using Nioxin product at the salon for the next 3 months.

I think the protein is what really helped...

webby

Think Slim
Nexxus KeraPhix and Emergencee - I alternate every other washing. Stops shedding immediately for me, with the exception of seasonal shedding.

jetcitygirl

Smeller of roses
I am natural but I still shed like a sheepdog! Things that help are drinking protein shakes, or getting my body weight in grams of protein per day. I have a hard time disciplining myself to drink all those protein shakes though. I can't afford to lose too much hair so I'd better get with it. I also bought a new Goody brand brush at Wal-Mart that is marketed to be really gentle on the hair, and it is! I use it in the shower to brush out shed hairs as I'm conditioner washing my hair. It's a blue plastic brush with an extremely soft, cushiony base. The bristles are flexible and very widely spaced. Definately have to rinse/comb or brush out the shed hairs no less than every 3 days or else they get tangled up in my hair and make big knots. Interestingly, when my hair goes through a major shedding phase it also seems to be going through a growth spurt. My hair doesn't just shed in strands, when it really gets to going it will shed in small clumps! :eek: It is a bit thinner overall than it was 15 years ago but I attribute that to aging, and it's a major reason why I stopped relaxing my hair.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
im not a major shedder but i know what has helped me not have a lot of shedding: NatureMade Super B Complex and not combing my hair as much anymore.

miracle

I've greatly decreased my shedding by taking Flax Seed Oil twice a day, increasing my water intake to 64oz./daily and using bone combs. I only loose about 5-12 hairs daily. And I've also noticed that since using Mane n' Tail shampoo/conditioner, I don't loose any hair with washings. :)

Isis

webby said:
Nexxus KeraPhix and Emergencee - I alternate every other washing. Stops shedding immediately for me, with the exception of seasonal shedding.

Same here with the KeraPhix except I do it every 5 or 6 washings. I don't shed much but I keep this up to prevent major shedding. Works very well.

Last edited:

taraglam2

I was shedding like crazy prior to joining LHCF. A stylist that had lost interest in the field of cosmetology and me not paying attention to my hair made the shedding increase. Now---WOW!!!! A true total difference!!! I truly think -------------NEXXUS VITATRESS BIOTIN CREME
------------------Washing Hair 2X a week
------------------Deep Conditioning Once a Week
------------------GNC Biotin 300mcg
Helped to totally stop stop the shedding. The difference is like night and day! Thank you LHCF!!!! My hair likes the frequency of washing and conditioning 2 times a week. Now I take GNC Nourish Hair and Naturemade Super B Complex along with the 300 Biotin Mcg.