Shedding and growth & Biotin and growth

Trinity1

Ladies,

Have any of you experienced shedding and an increase in speed of hairgrowth? My hair usually never sheds but for the past couple of months it has been shedding. Its normal shedding 50-100 hairs a day and I'm not loosing thickness so I dont see the need to be alarmed,however,what I have noticed is a jump in growth speed. Does shedding have something to do with hair growth?

Also another thing I have noticed is that whenever I stop taking my biotin for 1 week to 2 weeks,if I run out, when I start taking it again I get a growth spurt. Has anyone else experienced this?

Tee Tee

NAY007

i noticed about the biotin that when i took 5 mg per day my hair really grew. since i don't measure my length i only new it from my body hair (you know on my legs and stuff), i really like that it actually worked, but biotin makes my skin break out so i stopped. i'm really happy for all the people whose skin doesn't break out cause i think it's a great supplement to take.
nay.

Honey Vibe

The Good Physician
Tee tee, while I'm not sure I'll guess that your hair has reached it's life span. Some people will never have hair down to their butt because the hair shaft sheds every three years, and starts over again. Taking biotin may be speeding up that process rather than lengthening your hair further.

Armyqt

Honey Vibe that makes alot of sense. I was just thinking about this same topic the other day. Since the biotin is speeding up the hair growth, it may also be speeding up the shedding. I never thought about the hair strand limitations though. So are you saying that each hair can only get so long (say 20in for example) before it starts to shed?? I think that taking MSM along with biotin will probably extend the hair life and allow for greater lengths and faster growth.

Trinity1

Hi Ladies,

Thanks for all of your input. If my hair has reached its life span and will not get any longer,then it shouldnt be growing faster,right? I'm not sure,I'm due to relax next week and I have alot of new growth. From what I've read when your hair reaches the end of its life span than it doesnt get any longer but thats not what I'm experiencing. Its probably the biotin and the frequent washings thats making it grow so fast.

Tee Tee

G

Think about it this way:

Biotin helps speed up the growth process of your hair.. lets say 2 times as much...

So youll be getting about two months of shedding in the space of one month,, so it will seem like your shedding more, and yet your hair is also growing what it would have grown in 2 months,, in the space of one month... it does speed up ur growth and sheeding cycle but it also speeds up your hair growth like a vcr fastforwards thru time, your hair fastforwards trough its growth but everything happens as it would have.

Trinity1

Emgurl,

Very well put. I understand exactly what you mean and it all makes perfect sense.

Thanks everyone! Happy growing.

Tee

jade3

Hello everyone,
I'm new to this site and I love it. I just thought I would elaborate on the hair cycle thing(life span). In my quest for long hair I've done alot of research and I found that each hair has a cycle that is determined by genetics. The average hair cycle is anywhere from 2 to 6 years. For those of us no matter what we do, if we have a short hair cycle we will never have hair that sweeps the ground just like honeyvibe said. The hair cycle is divided into three stages the anagen(growing stage) which lasts anywhere from 2 to 6 years depending on the person and genetics, catagen( the transition stage) and telogen( the resting stage) at this point the hair doesn't grow from this follicle anymore,this usually lasts for about 3 months, this is the stage when the hair sheds, It's usually pushed out by a new hair starting. Tee tee, only 10 to 15 percent of your hair is in the resting stage at a time, the rest of your hair is growing. I don't think that since your hair is growing faster and shedding a little more means that you've reached the end of your hair cycle. If anything I just think that your faster growth shows that your body is finally getting something it lacked and you hair is also getting the TLC it needs to realize it's full potential. The point is to get as much growth you can get out of that strand before it sheds. It will shed at the end of the cycle not when it reaches a certain length. I hope I've been helpful in some way Guys

Take Care!!!!!!