Shedding & Breakage!!

Irresistible

In light of all the posts about shedding and breakage lately. Just thought I would put together suggestions for both in one post!! please add on whatever you know works for you.

Shedding:
1 try protien treatments carefully and according to directions , too much protein can cause shedding and breaking too.
2 keep the shed hair and compare it day by day, if it stays at the same rate for every day, and its an alarming amount, its time to take action.
3 If it lessens, it was probably temporary
4 As soon as you see extra shedding think of any new product(s) you might have tried and eleminate it. see if it slows down.
5 keep a day's worth of your normal shedding in a baggie somewhere, so that you have to refer to (ahead of time) , to give you an idea of what to expect (I can always compare to my daughter , we shed the same basically plus by now i have an immediate eye for whats not normal after having went through major hair loss)
6. immediately take a comprehensive vitamin regimen every day no matter what, this includes at least a multiple, B complex(balanced), protein and essential fatty acids(at the very least).
7. Dont wait too long to go to a doctor to have blood work done if it continues at an alarming rate! My hair loss was due to illness
8. Check all medications your taking , this could be a side effect. including birth control pills and other hormones
9. If you suspect a possible hormone imbalance EPO is supposed to help with this, but see your doctor too!
10. Moisturize your hair as much as possible, such as with overnight conditioning , oil treatments
11 stop all stress styling , give it a break!!!

Breakage
1. The key to breakage is always going to be moisture, deep condtioning treatments, oil treatments, and possibly, very carefull protien treatments again following up with, moisture. and doing nothing else that could cause furthur breakage , such as too rough detangling, heat, chemicals etc.
2. If the breakage is due to chemicals, protect your ends with protective styles and keep them protected with tons of moisture. Get them trimmed too.

for me I never could get away from breakage while I had a relaxer. So I'm not sure what to say about breakage with a relaxer...this is where others can chime in.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I don't have too much of a problem with shedding or don't worry about it since it's normal...

For additional tips on Breakage...
3. Avoid excessive and rough combing/brushing
4. If you have to comb or brush your hair, section your hair; don't rake thru the whole hair shaft
5. Avoid excessive heat usage...everyday or more than once a week is TOO much
6. Avoid relaxing and coloring hair too often