Shedding everywhere

pyxis777

Hey Ladies,

Anybody here have lots of shedding? Or go through periods of lots of shedding?

Lately I have noticed hairs everywhere. Long shedded hairs, medium length shedded hairs, medium length broken hairs, short broken hairs. Just hairs. On my clothes, when I run my hands through my hair (gently), etc.

I only comb my hair a couple of times a week. And I use protien (Keraphix) 1-2 times per week. Otherwise I just finger comb. I do rollersets to dry my hair - no heat, just air dried.

My hair is moisturized and feels nice, and I don't see any noticible difference in the amount of hair density on my head. It seems like I'm doing everything right, but still... the hairs...

Any thoughts?

Sweetcoco82

pyxis777 said:
Hey Ladies,

Anybody here have lots of shedding? Or go through periods of lots of shedding?

Lately I have noticed hairs everywhere. Long shedded hairs, medium length shedded hairs, medium length broken hairs, short broken hairs. Just hairs. On my clothes, when I run my hands through my hair (gently), etc.

I only comb my hair a couple of times a week. And I use protien (Keraphix) 1-2 times per week. Otherwise I just finger comb. I do rollersets to dry my hair - no heat, just air dried.

My hair is moisturized and feels nice, and I don't see any noticible difference in the amount of hair density on my head. It seems like I'm doing everything right, but still... the hairs...

Any thoughts?

I was just about to post the same thing. I just washed and blow dried my hair to see how long it was. And when i looked in the sick i was like ok barely and hair. Then i looked on the floor.:eek: :eek: Hair all over. Just like you said in all different length. I now i am in transition going from relaxed to natural. But it hasn't even been 3 months since my last relaxer and i have always stretched them atleast 4 months. I dont know whats going on. But i want it to stop ASAP!!!!!

I used to neglect my hair, but for the past 2 weeks i have made sure i have moisturized it. I trimmed 2 inches off my ends about 1 week ago. I dont know whats going on.:confused:

Last edited:

Isis

pyxis777 said:
It sounds like you are using too much protein. Too much will break off our hair and cause excessive shedding. Try using Keraphix (which I use also) less often like once per week and see what happens. And always, always follow your Keraphix with a good moisturizing conditioning treatment like Humectress or something like it. :)

Isis

Sweetcoco82 said:
I was just about to post the same thing. I just washed and blow dried my hair to see how long it was. And when i looked in the sick i was like ok barely and hair. Then i looked on the floor.:eek: :eek: Hair all over. Just like you said in all different length. I now i am in transition going from relaxed to natural. But it hasn't even been 3 months since my last relaxer and i have always stretched them atleast 4 months. I dont know whats going on. But i want it to stop ASAP!!!!!

I used to neglect my hair, but for the past 2 weeks i have made sure i have moisturized it. I trimmed 2 inches off my ends about 1 week ago. I dont know whats going on.:confused:

This used to happen to me before I found LHCF. I would blowdry and hair would be everywhere, literally. In my experience, I stopped all heat and my breakage stopped right away. Haven't used heat since. Blowdryers can be cruel to our hair.

Some of the ladies who do use blowdryers successfully make sure they are using a good heat protectant first.

Divine Inspiration

ITA w/ Isis. 2 times a week for Keraphix is WAY too often IMO. I use it once every other week, and I don't have any issues. I would cut back on the protein b/c it can cause problems the same way it can solve them.

locabouthair

besides reducing the amount of protein you use you can also use garlic shampoo. i heard its good for shedding. see if you get results when you cut back on the keraphix though before u buy the shampoo.

Miss*Tress

This happened to me after my last touch up in July. I shed like mad until December - so much so that I stopped combing my hair altogether when it was dry. Then it stopped as suddenly as it started. Also, I haven't used a brush since the beginning of January and this has greatly reduced the "normal" hair loss too.

Sometimes you just have to wait it out. Keep looking after your hair, don't despair, follow the advice others have given you here and it will stop eventually.

shortness

Also, stress can be the culprit... I have been very stress recently and my hair has just been shedding. Sad really....:(

MiWay

I'm stretching til April and possibly transitioning (we'll see how the stretching goes), and I have been shedding a lot as well. I just decided that I would get blowouts every 2 weeks so I don't have to deal with it. I can't stand to see all the hair on the floor. I don't really know what I'm doing or not doing that's causing this. I don't blowdry, and I don't use protein anymore unless I go to the salon. I do tend to shed more in the winter months, so I think I will wait and see how it does in the Spring before I decided to do anything "drastic" (i.e. relaxer).

ITA on the garlic shampoo recommendation. I've used that on quite a few occasions and it seems to help.

pyxis777

Maybe it could be stress. I'm not overly stressed, but I am trying to do a lot of new things this year, and I know I have been worrying more than usual.

I will stop using the Keraphix and I will see what happens. I always follow up with a moisturizing conditioner - like I said, my hair feels great. I originally started using protien to see if I could stop/slow breakage that I have had ever since I can remember.

I have had breakage of little and medium hairs as long as I could remember in my haircare with little hairs everywhere. However, I have never treated my hair as well as I have in the past month. This past month has been the first time that I have used protien, so I expected the shedding and, breakage to be less not more!

chellee

If I don't pay attention to my roots, I notice more breakage/shedding from trying to handle the two different textures.

DahomeyAhosi

I agree it sounds like you need more moisture and less protein. Try a nice moisturizing conditioner like Kenra MC. That stuff is great.

tallnomad

funny because i was about to do a search about extensive shedding and then i saw this.

i'm growing out a texturizer and am now wearing my hair pressed. i started getting it pressed about almost two months ago and i get it done every two weeks. i got a good trim about a month ago but for the past two weeks, i've noticed tons of broken hairs and even some longer pieces.

i'm taking hair vitamins which my stylist asked if i was doing. this salon encourages you to take biotin, etc. he told me i might be taking too much (i'm taking biotin, msm, silica, and other vitamins) and that i should cut back because too much could have an adverse reaction on my hair.

i thought wearing my hair down (it touches my collarbone) on my clothes might be drying it out, so I started wearing it in ponytails and now i'm wearing it tucked in to help the ends hopefully. but even when i take my bun or ponytail down, tons of hairs fall! :eek:

my stylist also told me to wrap my hair every single night, as that helps the ends get moisturized from your scalp oils.

i use mtg also the last week before i get my hair pressed. i wasn't putting any oil at all on my hair, but today i put a little olive oil on the ends.

i'm guessing it's the transition from text. to natural hair that is causing this but i'm not sure! thanks for reading.

Samaria

I am the same way, I think it may be because I use heat, but this is the thing I use heat i blowdry and flatiron once a week, thats it, but I too have sometimes broken hairs...I try to deep condition more than I use protei but still the same thing the other ladies are saying.

VelvetRain

Divine Inspiration said:
ITA w/ Isis. 2 times a week for Keraphix is WAY too often IMO. I use it once every other week, and I don't have any issues. I would cut back on the protein b/c it can cause problems the same way it can solve them.

This just goes to show how different things for different people. I use Kerpahix with every wash. Been doing so for the last 6 months at least. I wash once sometimes twice a week.

I don't care about shedding. IT's the breakage I worry about. Shedding is normal. Unless your seeing handfuls of hair.

juicy555

I'm currently suffering from post partum shedding! :( Is there a particular brand of garlic shampoo I should look for?

kreeme

juicy555 said:
I'm currently suffering from post partum shedding! :( Is there a particular brand of garlic shampoo I should look for?

I just had a baby back in September and my hair was shedding like crazy. You need to make sure you still take your prenatals. I stopped taking them the day I went into labor. Not a good idea! The minute I started taking them again along with a good Aphogee treatment, the shedding stopped.

I shed MASSIVE amounts of hair each spring (April & May). I'm talking handfuls.:eek: But it's no big deal, personally speaking. My hair isn't any worse off after this period than it is before. I just call it my spring molt.:)

Sweetcoco82

kreeme said:
I just had a baby back in September and my hair was shedding like crazy. You need to make sure you still take your prenatals. I stopped taking them the day I went into labor. Not a good idea! The minute I started taking them again along with a good Aphogee treatment, the shedding stopped.

I just had a baby in mid October. I wonder if that is causing the shedding. I haven't been taking my prenatals either. I am aslo breastfeeding. So all the good stuff goes to my milk and i get left with what ever is left. Anyone else here breastfeeding? It seems to be taking a toll on my hair. It didn't with my daugher. But this boy is greedy.:ohwell:

I also had my son in October and I too am breastfeeding. I love the fact that I lost all my weight but hate that my was shedding! When I went for my 6 week chech up my doctor did warn me that around 12-16 weeks that my hair would shed, but not to the point of balding! Don't worry it will stop mine just stopped completely about a week ago and my baby is 4 month so about a month of shedding!! your doctor should of given you a script for more prenatals since you are breastfeeding but if not get more and take them as long as you breastfeed! condition and take good care of your hair now. The shedding will stop soon!!:) This is noraml infact even when you do not have a baby your goes through periods of shedding! about 100 hairs a day!!!:ohwell: :ohwell:

Sweetcoco82

I had been taking an over the counter prenatals. As a matter of fact i have some at home. I just haven't been taking it. I am going to get some Biotin. My doctor said i could take a low dosage while breastfeeding.

aliajp said:
I also had my son in October and I too am breastfeeding. I love the fact that I lost all my weight but hate that my was shedding! When I went for my 6 week chech up my doctor did warn me that around 12-16 weeks that my hair would shed, but not to the point of balding! Don't worry it will stop mine just stopped completely about a week ago and my baby is 4 month so about a month of shedding!! your doctor should of given you a script for more prenatals since you are breastfeeding but if not get more and take them as long as you breastfeed! condition and take good care of your hair now. The shedding will stop soon!!:) This is noraml infact even when you do not have a baby your goes through periods of shedding! about 100 hairs a day!!!:ohwell: :ohwell:

pyxis777

Hmm... I'm not pregnant. Maybe I should just see what happens in the next couple of months?

Is it safe to take prenatal vitamins if you're not pregnant? What's in them?

Sweetcoco82

pyxis777 said:
Hmm... I'm not pregnant. Maybe I should just see what happens in the next couple of months?

I think its safe. I dont see why not. It pretty much a multivitamin. I was told to start taking them by my doctor when i had mentioned to her that my husband and i were thinking about having a baby. So i think its safe to take them and your not pregnant. I know some people who took them for their hair and they were not pregnant or trying to get pregnant.

MiWay

pyxis777 said:

My doctor told me to start taking prenatals as soon as I start trying to get pregnant, so I believe they are okay.

pyxis777

Update:

The shedding and breakage has stopped for the most part. I'm very pleased! The Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Replenishing Pak was a God send! I used it for my washes and conditioners the past 6 or so washes. I think I'm going to lay off it a little bit, b/c my hair has started feeling drier than usual. The protein in the pak seemed to keep my hair together. I am now coming up on 10 weeks post relaxer and I'm going to stick w/ my moisturizing conditioner.

However, now it seems like I have a lot of split ends. I know my ends were damaged in the first place b/c they were abused by heat (always curling the ends under). I don't know if I'm being paranoid about always seeing splits, or if they were a direct result of the heat damage. Anyway, that's another problem for another thread.

gn1g

garlic poo didn't work for me. It just dried my hair out. WHat worked for me was a trip to the derm and he gave me a shot for it. Also I took l cystine. But I am told that MSM is awesome at combating shedding.