Shedding Shedding and more Shedding

Krymsonkween

Okay for the last 3 months I have had shedding. I posted n you guys said it was okay we will shedd. The 100 hairs a day. Well I am still shedding. When I touch my hair my hair sheds, wash it sheds, It is not dry I do use 2 min reconstructor 1x per month. I baby my ends here is my regi:
wash 1x per wk Keracare 1st lather
Keracare Hydrating Shampoo
every other day NTM and MTG
deep Condish Infusium 23

I leave down for 2 days after wash day then the rest of the week it is pinned up. I sleep on a satin pillow case and use a satin scarf.

No stress, no new meds. I don't know what is wrong. I did not used to have any shedding back in April or May that is when it started what am I doing wrong. I feel like just cutting it all off.

msa

Nothing is wrong. Humans shed hair every day. It will happen for the rest of your life.

Krymsonkween

I just want 1 day with no hair in the sink or on the floor!:cry: It is growing but y is it that some ladies have no shedding.

msa

I just want 1 day with no hair in the sink or on the floor!:cry: It is growing but y is it that some ladies have no shedding.

Anyone who says they have no shedding is lying. You wanna know why? Because it's literally impossible for your hair not to shed. That's what hair does. It grows, rests, then sheds.

As long as you're seeing shedding, and not breakage, and you have no bald spots you are perfectly ok. There is literally nothing to be upset about.

msa

From webmd...http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/hair-loss/science-hair?page=2
Hair Growth Cycle

Hair on the scalp grows about .3 to .4 mm/day or about 6 inches per year. Unlike other mammals, human hair growth and shedding is random and not seasonal or cyclical. At any given time, a random number of hairs will be in one of three stages of growth and shedding: anagen, catagen, and telogen.

• Anagen Anagen is the active phase of the hair. The cells in the root of the hair are dividing rapidly. A new hair is formed and pushes the club hair (a hair that has stopped growing or is no longer in the anagen phase) up the follicle and eventually out.
    During this phase the hair grows about 1 cm every 28 days. Scalp hair stays in this active phase of growth for two to six years.
    Some people have difficulty growing their hair beyond a certain length because they have a short active phase of growth. On the other hand, people with very long hair have a long active phase of growth. The hair on the arms, legs, eyelashes, and eyebrows have a very short active growth phase of about 30 to 45 days, explaining why they are so much shorter than scalp hair.
  • Catagen The catagen phase is a transitional stage and about 3% of all hairs are in this phase at any time. This phase lasts for about two to three weeks. Growth stops and the outer root sheath shrinks and attaches to the root of the hair. This is the formation of what is known as a club hair.
  • Telogen Telogen is the resting phase and usually accounts for 6% to 8% of all hairs. This phase lasts for about 100 days for hairs on the scalp and longer for hairs on the eyebrow, eyelash, arm, and leg. During this phase, the hair follicle is completely at rest and the club hair is completely formed. Pulling out a hair in this phase will reveal a solid, hard, dry, white material at the root. About 25 to 100 telogen hairs are shed normally each day.

From wikipedia....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hair_follicle
Hair grows in cycles of various phases:[3] anagen is the growth phase; catagen is the involuting or regressing phase; and telogen, the resting or quiescent phase. Each phase has several morphologically and histologically distinguishable sub-phases. Prior to the start of cycling is a phase of follicular morphogenesis (formation of the follicle). There is also a shedding phase, or exogen, that is independent of anagen and telogen in which one of several hairs that might arise from a single follicle exits. Normally up to 90% of the hair follicles are in anagen phase while, 10–14% are in telogen and 1–2% in catagen. The cycle's length varies on different parts of the body. For eyebrows, the cycle is completed in around 4 months, while it takes the scalp 3–4 years to finish; this is the reason eyebrow hairs have a much shorter length limit compared to hairs on the head. Growth cycles are controlled by a chemical signal like epidermal growth factor.

More links on the hair growth cycle:

http://www.hairinformation.com/hair-growth-system/hair-growth-cycles.shtml

http://dermatology.about.com/cs/hairanatomy/a/hairbiology_2.htm

Krymsonkween

I have a good diet and I work out 3dys a week. I take:
MSM
Biotin
1 a day 4 women
Garlic
Fish Oil
Macca
I also take
Singular
XYzal

msa

Thanks MSA I just wish I could get it under control.

Here's the thing...there's nothing to get under control. Your hair is going to shed whatever amount, regardless of what you do. You can't have growth without shedding and shedding is what the hair follicle does. Just accept it and move on. As long as you're not getting bald spots there's nothing to worry about.

Celestial

Okay for the last 3 months I have had shedding. I posted n you guys said it was okay we will shedd. The 100 hairs a day. Well I am still shedding. When I touch my hair my hair sheds, wash it sheds, It is not dry I do use 2 min reconstructor 1x per month. I baby my ends here is my regi:
wash 1x per wk Keracare 1st lather
Keracare Hydrating Shampoo
every other day NTM and MTG
deep Condish Infusium 23

I leave down for 2 days after wash day then the rest of the week it is pinned up. I sleep on a satin pillow case and use a satin scarf.

No stress, no new meds. I don't know what is wrong. I did not used to have any shedding back in April or May that is when it started what am I doing wrong. I feel like just cutting it all off.

Is your hair growing? You will shed more often when your hair is growing. Apart from that, I don't think losing 100 strands a day is normal for black hair. Shedding should be minimum unless you are deficient in nutrients or sick. It could be your thyroids, low iron, or too much products or over-treatment. My hair rarely sheds and the shedded hair I do get I can count it because it so minimal.

honeybadgirl

perhaps try garlic shampoo and conditioner. many ladies here swear by it!:yep:
my hair started shedding alot but about 5months after having my baby. the entire time i was pregnant my hair didnt shed at all. of course that was all hormonal and the changes ones body goes thru during pregnancy but like i said, it went thru the shedding "catch up" after i had him. it made me nervous actually:perplexed
but try the garlic shampoo and conditioner

fattyfatfat

Alter Ego has a GREAT garlic deep conditioner. it really helped me with my shedding (and other ladies too!)

perhaps try garlic shampoo and conditioner. many ladies here swear by it!:yep:
my hair started shedding alot but about 5months after having my baby. the entire time i was pregnant my hair didnt shed at all. of course that was all hormonal and the changes ones body goes thru during pregnancy but like i said, it went thru the shedding "catch up" after i had him. it made me nervous actually:perplexed
but try the garlic shampoo and conditioner

TeeWhyAre

I shed like crazy! It used to freak me out until I learned the difference btwn shedding & breakage & learned that some folks shed btwn as MSA posted 25-100 hairs a day. I sometimes don't detangle for a week at a time & when I do wash, there seems to be a gazillion shed hairs, everywhere! I still have hair on my head, I have no bald spots, & it has grown a great deal so I do not worry about it and accept it as a part of life, like sweating when working out.

redantz00

Its def a hard pill to swallow but SHEDDING IS NORMAL!! How much you shed vs someone else can't be compared because you don't have the same DNA!! Some women shed a little (closer to 25 hairs per day) and others (myself included) shed closer to 100 hairs per day. When I do my weekly wash it looks like a lot but I have to remind myself that's 7 days worth of shedding (700 hairs!!!) and that's normal. I have no bald areas and I have a head full of hair!

Pompous Blue

My 2 cents worth.....

In July I got a touch-up. Afterwards, I had excessive shedding which continued throughout the months of July and August.

I poured over threads on LHCF and saw some ladies used garlic as a remedy; both internally and externally.....So I bought the Alter Ego conditioner, Remedee shampoo and conditioner. They seemed to somewhat slow down the onslaught of shedding. But when I started taking the garlic pills, my hair resumed its normal shedding. I dare say during those 2 months of shedding, I lost 10% or more volume of hair (I saved all of it in a bag and just cried over it). After my last touch-up, I could see my scalp! I hate that!

I don’t use any hair growth remedies or anything like that. I started doing henna treatments 2 weeks ago and the shedding continues to be at a minimum (or normal for me) and my hair is so soft and manageable. It seems to be getting thicker from the henna treatments. I plan on doing them every 2 weeks.

Oh, I also used Aggie’s recipe: AGGIE'S GARLIC OIL/MOLASSES PRE-POO TREATMENT FOR BREAKAGE & SHEDDING. It’s in her Fotki.

I’m glad to have that excessive shedding under control. I can’t believe it was something as simple as taking garlic pills.

What amount of garlic pills do you take? I take 1200 mg per meal.

The Princess

Yeah I used to freak out as well. Like mention earlier, its normal. My hair is still thick and no bald spots, so I keep it moving. I also take garlic pill, therefore no need for me to sweat.

Last edited:

Glamorous_chic

i understand where the op is coming from. it seems like my hair is shedding an excessive amount for the past few months. and although i know shedding is normal, i've never lost this amount of hair daily on a consistant basis. no thyroid problems,no anemic, nothing health wise. i've started taking garlic supplments and use alter ego. there are no bald spots either. but it is alarming considering i've never shed this much hair before. i look at the hair, and all of it has white bulbs at the end.

beana

Unfortunately there's nothing you can do about the shedding, sorry i know its frustrating. It sounds like you should incorporate a moisturizing treatment into your regimen though. I recommend silk elements megasilk treatment.

jamaraa

Part of the reason it SEEMS like more shedding than it is is because you keep it pinned up a few days at a stretch. Everyday you shed some hair and if you leave it uncombed a few days, the sheds accumulate. When you do get them out, it seems like way too much, but it's a few day's amount. Don't worry too much.

Krymsonkween

Thanks ladies. I am growing and have no bold spots. No problems health wise just had a check up and all blood work came back normal. I do keep it up alot cause I am lazy. :grin: I know I can not stretch I have tried that and trust me it was not work the tangles. I guess when I wash it seems like hair is everywhere on me, the sink and the floor. Daily becasue I try not to touch my hair that much when I do touch it (I finger comb daily) I get strands in my hand.

I guess I am normal n not a cat. Thanks ladies I will not freak out, I will not freak out, I will not freak out!

wyldcurlz

i've been worrying about this lately too. i've been bunning, sometimes the bun is damp, sometimes its dry hair (aka lotsa curls), when i'm gathering my hair for the bun, i pull out what seems like clumps of hair. when i finger comb it - more clumps. i don't know if something is wrong or if i'm going thru some kind of shed cycle.

it seems like waaay more than 100 hairs (though i've never counted it.) at last check, i was in perfect health...not sure what's going on.