shedding

growinstrong

I know a post like this probably has been started, but have you ladies noticed any excessive shedding lately. Saturday when I washed my hair, I noticed my shed hairs in the comb. I looked at them to make sure they had the bulbs at the end. I noticed very little breakage. I'd say, I'd shed about 90-100 strands for the whole washing routine and after detangling and setting my hair. :eek: Just to get an idea, can someone post a pic of their shedded hairs after a typical wash and set day? I am getting very nervous. Oh, I do need a good trim too, could this be the cause. I'd could use about 1" total cut off.
Thanks ladies

Seeking8Rights

growinstrong said:
I know a post like this probably has been started, but have you ladies noticed any excessive shedding lately. Saturday when I washed my hair, I noticed my shed hairs in the comb. I looked at them to make sure they had the bulbs at the end. I noticed very little breakage. I'd say, I'd shed about 90-100 strands for the whole washing routine and after detangling and setting my hair. :eek: Just to get an idea, can someone post a pic of their shedded hairs after a typical wash and set day? I am getting very nervous. Oh, I do need a good trim too, could this be the cause. I'd could use about 1" total cut off.
Thanks ladies

A couple of weeks I ago I had some very bad shedding, more than the 100 strand guideline. But, what I did was started drinking this shake on a daily basis and I must say within a few days (and since then) I have noticed very very little shedding or breakage. I can even brush my hair without having a bunch of hair in the brush! I would say my hair loss strand is down to about less than 50 (and yes, I have counted! :D )

Last edited:

Junonia

When I relaxed my hair there was so much hair in the comb, I was going to freak out. It was a lot of hair. I think since I was 11 weeks post, I had breakage and shedding. Now I comb my hair, I have few strands in my comb. THis will last for about two weeks and then back to my normal breakage/ shedding pattern. I do believe that I have to start DC'ing on a weekly basis and adding more moisture. I think this would help with the shedding and breakage. I feel like this an ongoing battle but I am learning as I go.

SvelteVelvet

Are you in the middle of a stretch? If so, how many weeks post? I don't start to notice shedding until after about 8 weeks post. I'm about to be 10 weeks post and instead of going for the 13 week date I was going to do in my siggy, I'm thinking I'm going to do it this weekend at 10. My last 13 week stretch was helped along by braids, this time with my hair being out, I'm thinking it'll be smarter to do when I feel it needs to be done to prevent anymore breakage or shedding that may be happening at the demarcation line.

Junonia

SvelteVelvet said:
Are you in the middle of a stretch? If so, how many weeks post? I don't start to notice shedding until after about 8 weeks post. I'm about to be 10 weeks post and instead of going for the 13 week date I was going to do in my siggy, I'm thinking I'm going to do it this weekend at 10. My last 13 week stretch was helped along by braids, this time with my hair being out, I'm thinking it'll be smarter to do when I feel it needs to be done to prevent anymore breakage or shedding that may be happening at the demarcation line.

I was also thinking of relaxing at the 10 week mark or braid it at 10 weeks.

Seeking8Rights

Re: shedding I WILL POST SOME PICTURES....

growinstrong said:
Thanks ladies

I am washing my hair as we speak and I will take a picture of my total hair loss/shed and post it.

growinstrong

thanks ladies. And no, I'm only 4 weeks post. I think I got a little lazy in the detangling process (I know, shame on me) because I get discouraged when I see too many strands come out. I use Aveda products, but I was thinking that I may still need like a protein treatment such as DRC or something. Is this necessary when using great products such as Aveda? Anyhoo, I dont shed much during the week, just on wash days. I really appreciate the feedback. When I get home, I will take a picture of the shedding that I had a post it for you.

Katt73

There was another thread on this about a week ago. It seems that lots of the ladies (myself included) are experiencing lots of shedding because of the change of seasons. I almost cried when I washed yesterday! But then I counted the hairs and it was only about 100...which is pretty good for a wash day.

growinstrong

Another question for you ladies. How many times a week are you washing your hair? What is you detangling method? I was thinking about going to an Aveda salon until my hair was on the right track again, do the know how to to african american's hair? :perplexed

I wash only 1x per week and pin my hair up for the week, thus not too much shedding on a day to day basis. For the whole week last week, I probably shed about 175-200 strands of hair. But for the week before that, it was more like 75-100 strands for the whole. Why the sudden change? I know its still under normal, but my hair is very fine, very thin and I feel that any little strand is gonna make it look even thinner. This is so depressing :nono:

Seeking8Rights

growinstrong said:
Another question for you ladies. How many times a week are you washing your hair? What is you detangling method? I was thinking about going to an Aveda salon until my hair was on the right track again, do the know how to to african american's hair? :perplexed

I wash only 1x per week and pin my hair up for the week, thus not too much shedding on a day to day basis. For the whole week last week, I probably shed about 175-200 strands of hair. But for the week before that, it was more like 75-100 strands for the whole. Why the sudden change? I know its still under normal, but my hair is very fine, very thin and I feel that any little strand is gonna make it look even thinner. This is so depressing :nono:

I wash my hair every week because I get frequent spa treatments and eventhough being in a sauna that's about 90 degrees doesn't sweat my hair out, I will wash it anyways. I washed my hair this past Thursay, and Saturday went for Therme (spa) and now I'm washing it today. It's Monday late afternoon here in Italy.

I have noticed that since I switched from KeraCare to Aveda Smooth Infusions (poo and con) I have not had to worry about detangling. I haven't been to an Aveda Salon (there is one in Rome), as I prefer to do my own hair (less tension).

Seeking8Rights

Re: PICTURES FROM KECLEE23 25JUNE2007 WASH

Okay, here are the pictures from my wash thus far:

1. First picture is the hair shed during my comb through before I prepoo my hair with Vatika Oil, ORS Hair Mayo and Shikakai Oil. After I comb my hair, I then apply the ORS Mayo then the oils to my dry hair, so my hair is soaked (but still dry) with the oils and mayo. I then sit under a hot cap for like 30 to 45 minutes (or whenever my lazy but leaves the computer, lol)

2. Second picture is the hair shed AFTER washing the prepoo and shampooing my hair at the point of conditioning, when I am gently combing the conditioner through my hair.

Okay, I normally roller set my hair, but for this occation I will blow dry and flat iron my hair, so you can see the shedding during this process.

The products I used thus far:

Prepoo:
1. Danbur Vatika Oil
2. Shikakai Oil (Hesh Herbal imported from India)
3. ORS Hair Mayo

Shampoo: (in order of use)
1. Nexxuss Rid Clarifying Shampoo
2. Nexxuss Rid Clarifying Treatment
3. Aveda Smooth Infusion Shampoo

Condition:
1. Nexxuss Humectress
2. Aveda Smooth Infusion Conditioner

Moisture Treatment:
1. Biolage Hydratherapie Cera Repair

Attachments

• PREWASH.jpg
    PREWASH.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0344 copy.jpg
    IMG_0344 copy.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 37

mzhotniz86

omg yes i have noticed alot. i had to break my 11 week relaxer stretch last weekend and after that my hair has been coming out wildy. i believe she used affirm and my ends are a MESS. they feel limp and thin . im so scared to get it cut because it will be a major setback in all the work ive put in :(

SvelteVelvet

I wash 1x per week. I don't detangle until after I've applied a dominican conditioner rinse (after my DC) which melts all the tangles away while I comb through with a wide tooth. Lacio Lacio further aides in that for me.

Lavendar

growinstrong said:

I was gonna ask if you were doing a hardcore protein treatment, but you answered my question. I definitely think you need to do one at least every 6 weeks. I have very fine hair too and it is essential I do one every 6 weeks. I also use Aveda DR exclusively now. I use Aphogee, followed by a DC, followed by Porosity Control conditioner for my protein day. It helped me gain a lot of strength and thickness when I went through a heavy shedding period early on my hair journey. I was in such distress I had to do one once a week for four weeks then switched to every 6 weeks. I started with what seemed like one thin layer of bleached lifeless hair. It could just be your hair cycle causing shedding, but try adding the protein treatment and see if that helps. HTH!;)

Seeking8Rights

CHUG, CHUG, CHUG!!!!

Listen ya'll I'm telling you, don't wait until you see a bunch of severe shedding/breakage/or loss and then try to fix it with products. Just keep it simple and make the drink, drink it everyday and you won't have to worry about gobbs of hair everywhere. :)

Trust me I have been drinking this drink for the past few weeks and have seen a HUGE difference! And the only other supplement I take along with this is my EFA (essential fatty acids) and one 2500mg MSM and my daily multivitamin.

If you can try all those products, then just give this stuff a try (you may even have to cut the amount of preventative or repair products you use, I know I have).

As I always say... KISS (duna, duna...bouncin to the Prince song)
KEEP IT SWEET & SIMPLE.

Seeking8Rights

Katt73 said:
Keclee:
Girl...that ain't nothin'! Don't make us kick you out of this thread! ;)

You should have seen my shedding about 2 months ago.....I shed hair and tears! It was so bad, I was scared to even touch it!

But that Seven Wonders Hair drink........now that's the TRUTH!
(I'm running down the isle, as we speak! Glory, Glory Glory to God!) :D

growinstrong

girl, that is unbelievable. I see more than that when I just shake my head, lol

gn1g

Keclee23 said:
Okay, here are the pictures from my wash thus far:

1. First picture is the hair shed during my comb through before I prepoo my hair with Vatika Oil, ORS Hair Mayo and Shikakai Oil. After I comb my hair, I then apply the ORS Mayo then the oils to my dry hair, so my hair is soaked (but still dry) with the oils and mayo. I then sit under a hot cap for like 30 to 45 minutes (or whenever my lazy but leaves the computer, lol)

2. Second picture is the hair shed AFTER washing the prepoo and shampooing my hair at the point of conditioning, when I am gently combing the conditioner through my hair.

Okay, I normally roller set my hair, but for this occation I will blow dry and flat iron my hair, so you can see the shedding during this process.

The products I used thus far:

Prepoo:
1. Danbur Vatika Oil
2. Shikakai Oil (Hesh Herbal imported from India)
3. ORS Hair Mayo

Shampoo: (in order of use)
1. Nexxuss Rid Clarifying Shampoo
2. Nexxuss Rid Clarifying Treatment
3. Aveda Smooth Infusion Shampoo

Condition:
1. Nexxuss Humectress
2. Aveda Smooth Infusion Conditioner

Moisture Treatment:
1. Biolage Hydratherapie Cera Repair

girl, paaaleaze.

Cleve_gryl

I just finished washing my hair, and here is a pic of the hair I pulled from my drain catch after I detangled :ohwell:

I take a multi, and a cocktail of other vitamins twice a day. This does not include the hair that comes out during my rollerset. My hair doesn't feel thin, but all this shedding has me boggled too.

Seeking8Rights

Cleve_gryl said:
I just finished washing my hair, and here is a pic of the hair I pulled from my drain catch after I detangled :ohwell:

I take a multi, and a cocktail of other vitamins twice a day. This does not include the hair that comes out during my rollerset. My hair doesn't feel thin, but all this shedding has me boggled too.

Cleve_gryl, IMO that is alot of shedding. :ohwell: Now if that is the comb you use during detangle, then I would expect that. I'm no expert, but I do come from a family of cosmetologists (not stylists...) and I am certain the preferable comb to use looks like this:

This is a Vidal Sasson Professional Rubber Wide Tooth Comb made strictly for detangling.

Also, you may want to switch vitamins because Centrium is considered a low grade vitamin with fillers (so your not getting total quantity (mg) per vitamin). Here is a good one for suggestion: If you like one a day for convenience:
http://www.rainbowlight.com/Categories.aspx?Category=c1f0c73a-2263-46b2-a69f-23117499649f

If you want a vitamin that will replentish what you need per day like green vege's etc. then this is an excellent one:
http://www.rainbowlight.com/Categories.aspx?Category=00940a87-3edf-409b-be42-211e4e125235

I take the one above along with the Seven Wonders Hair Cocktail (I've made plenty of post on this) and you see my pictures with shedding. a few weeks ago I couldn't say that. Also, when I did my blow drying yesterday, I had literally only 7 shed hairs.

I swear by that Seven Wonders Drink because it really does stop shedding/hair loss which only makes room for growth.

shunta

Katt73 said:
Keclee:
Girl...that ain't nothin'! Don't make us kick you out of this thread! ;)
:lol: :lol: I was thinking the same thing. Keclee, girl you should see the amount of hair I shed when I wash. Im gonna have to try that drink you're talking about, too.:yep:

Sexyred

Keclee I would love to have one of those Vidal Sassoon combs. what store did you purchase it from, hopefully it's a store I can get to and do you know if it is available online? I think this could make my detangling days ahead a lot easier. starting to pray for aan answer to my tangles.:lol:

growinstrong

Hey Cleve_gryl,

This is about the same amount that I saw when I finished detangling too :perplexed. Is this more than usual for you? I know it is for me. The thing you got going for you in that your hair is thick too. Mine is thin, so any little shed hair makes me sick to my stomach :barf: litterally.

Cleve_gryl said:

SvelteVelvet

Cleve_gryl said:

Wow I'd be freaked out :eek:, I get alarmed when I see the amount that Kelcee posted. But that could also be because of your hair type and it being curly.

Seeking8Rights

Sexyred said:
Keclee I would love to have one of those Vidal Sassoon combs. what store did you purchase it from, hopefully it's a store I can get to and do you know if it is available online? I think this could make my detangling days ahead a lot easier. starting to pray for aan answer to my tangles.:lol:

I purchased mine on ebay from a seller who doesn't have anymore listed (I checked yesterday when I was posting). I must admit it is a hard one to find, here is the product information that's on the package:

Vidal Sassoon
Professional Rubber Comb
100% Natural Material
Model #7253

I just came back and edited this message:

Here are a few places you can get it from:

http://www.hairproducts.com/view_product_BRU-VID102.htm

http://www.amazon.com/VIDAL-SASSOON...1-9491337?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1182870729&sr=1-2

Last edited:

Sexyred

Is it really good at detangling? I am currently transitioning so I have about 3 to 4 inches of new growth and wash days I cry my eyes out to see how much my hair tangles/ shed or just plain come out. I have naturally thin hair but a lot of it, so I have major issues. I hope one day I too can wash and see the amount you shed until then I keep praying..Thanks for the reply.

Katt73

growinstrong said:
Hey Cleve_gryl,

This is about the same amount that I saw when I finished detangling too :perplexed. Is this more than usual for you? I know it is for me. The thing you got going for you in that your hair is thick too. Mine is thin, so any little shed hair makes me sick to my stomach :barf: litterally.

That's about the same amount I got the last two times I washed. It's waaay more than usual...which makes me think there's something to this seasonal shedding theory. My hair is still quite bushy, so I'm not too worried...yet.

Seeking8Rights

Katt73 said:
That's about the same amount I got the last two times I washed. It's waaay more than usual...which makes me think there's something to this seasonal shedding theory. My hair is still quite bushy, so I'm not too worried...yet.

Hair shedding only happens in the Summer months due to weather. Normal shedding (60-100 hairs per day, not everytime you comb your hair) occurs around fall/spring, which is a natural process of the hair growth cycle. For some people during the summer months due to climate changes etc, they may experience a little more but not much or like globs of hair shedding during a comb or wash session.

If you are having more than 100 hair sheds per day, then you are experiencing hair loss of which can instantly be stopped by increasing intake of the following via supplement or food:

1. Increasing your protein intake to an additional 15mg per day (remember this is 15mg above your daily requirement).

2. Inositol found in brewers yeast, fruits, lecithin, milk, molasses, raisins, vegetables, whole grains.

3. Biotin found in eggs, yeast, milk, liver, whole grains, saltwater fish, poultry and soybeans

4. Choline found in egg yolks, liver, lecithin, legumes such as lentil beans, meat, milk, soybeans, whole grains.

5. Vitamin A. Excessive hair shedding may be sign of a deficientcy in vitamin A. So make sure your daily is giving you the amount you need which is 2,500 i.u. But make sure you are not getting more than 15,000 i.u per day.

Also you may want to try taking a teaspoon of Apple cider vinegar (with about a cup of water, take for only 2 or 3 months) which will regulate a poor metabolism (poor metabolism can cause excessive hair shedding).

I'm only regergitating information I have read and also received from hair professionals.