Shedding

That's interesting, my hair was shedding a lot lately, but I thought it was due to me needing more moisture, BUT I was also on my menstrual cycle.

Hmm.....

MissFallon

TonicaG said:
Ladies,

Has anyone noticed that your hair sheds more during your menstrual cycle?

My hair has been shedding alot lately and I havent been able to figure out why. I thought it was because I needed moisture also but I have been moisturizng like crazy and it still sheds. I have had my period since May 30th :)eek: yea i know)...and it seems that ever since it started the shedding has gotten worst. I can't afford to lose hair like this...im about to go crazy.

HoneyDew

Yes, but I also get a little growth spurt a week before my period. (on facial hair too)

Hormones. :look:

MissYocairis

MissFallon said:
My hair has been shedding alot lately and I havent been able to figure out why. I thought it was because I needed moisture also but I have been moisturizng like crazy and it still sheds. I have had my period since May 30th :)eek: yea i know)...and it seems that ever since it started the shedding has gotten worst. I can't afford to lose hair like this...im about to go crazy.

Girl! What?!?!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

africa

I hear you. I've noticed this with myself too. It seems like I don't shed a single hair until that time.

And a week after my my period, it suddenly seems like I have more growth on my head. Like I got a spurt or something. Another thing I noticed about this cycle is my scalp got dry ...I've never noticed this b4 so it could be only this month. I got braids as well so maybe it's a result of not CWing every day.

MissDiva

My hair has been SHEDDING like crazy lately, I've been wondering why also. Maybe it is the menstural cycle. I just finished mine.

LadyJay114

MissFallon said:
I have had my period since May 30th :)eek: yea i know)........Yeah I dont know why, went to the doctor and he told me to come back if it doesnt stop until the end of July.

I've had problems with my menstrual cycle in the past (due to stress and being overweight). If you dont stop bleeding, that means you aren't ovulating. That's a problem!!!! What doctor told you to wait until July??? Was that a GYN??? That's insane. If you did go to a gyn, you should've been treated immediately!!!

Usually, you'll be put on birth control for a 3-6 mos. to regulate the cycle. But if you continue to have problems after 6 months, then there may be other problems. It was never really confirmed, but I may have had PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) and I was treated with the drug called Metformin. I've had regular cycles since then.
**Interestingly enough, the only time since I've been regular that I didn't get regular periods was during the short time I was taking Biotin for my hair. I actually had to stop.

MissFallon

LadyJay114 said:
I've had problems with my menstrual cycle in the past (due to stress and being overweight). If you dont stop bleeding, that means you aren't ovulating. That's a problem!!!! What doctor told you to wait until July??? Was that a GYN??? That's insane. If you did go to a gyn, you should've been treated immediately!!!

Usually, you'll be put on birth control for a 3-6 mos. to regulate the cycle. But if you continue to have problems after 6 months, then there may be other problems. It was never really confirmed, but I may have had PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) and I was treated with the drug called Metformin. I've had regular cycles since then.
**Interestingly enough, the only time since I've been regular that I didn't get regular periods was during the short time I was taking Biotin for my hair. I actually had to stop.

I take Metformin already. I stopped ovulating in February due to problems i've had with getting/being/staying pregnant. I found it weird that i even got my period and my gyn told me that he would give me something in July because he says that my body is trying to start having a cycle again and it usually takes about 2 months to start over. (Sorry for the OT discussion)

LadyJay114

MissFallon said:
I take Metformin already. I stopped ovulating in February due to problems i've had with getting/being/staying pregnant. I found it weird that i even got my period and my gyn told me that he would give me something in July because he says that my body is trying to start having a cycle again and it usually takes about 2 months to start over. (Sorry for the OT discussion)

Ok... that sounds alot more reasonable. I didnt mean to go OT either, but when I was having problems I really had no clue what was going on, so I was trying to pass some info. Hope everything comes out ok.

When you said the doctor told you to come back later, I was like WTF :)

My pet peeve is bad doctors (along with bad hair stylists :lol: )

Isis

TonicaG said:
Ladies,

Has anyone noticed that your hair sheds more during your menstrual cycle?
I have't noticed but it would make sense since we lose red blood cells during that time. Our hair follicles need them for nourishment. I supplement with iron daily and it makes a difference for me.

anahnamuslyyours

MissFallon said:
Yeah I dont know why, went to the doctor and he told me to come back if it doesnt stop until the end of July.
Don't you hate it when they tell you to wait and see how long you bleed? I had that problem a few months back - my doc put me opn progesterone because I don't have a regular cycle unless I'm on the pill, and hadn't been on it in over a year, so hadn't had a cycle in that long. They put me on that damn progesterone, and I've been messed up ever since. That first time, I bled for 7 weeks straight. Then it finally stopped, but now each time I get to the stupid sugar pills, it takes me an additional three weeks after what should be a week or so long cycle, to stop bleeding. They've tried putting me on three different forms of pills, and none of them worked.

Oksy, now that I'm done sharing all that info, I thought I'd pass this along: after that original cycle had lasted more than two weeks, I called my doc, and they recommended that I take 800mg or more of ibruprofen 3 times a day until the bleeding stopped. Now, I couldn't take all that medicine, but maybe it'll work for you.

Arcadian

Totally OT BUT...

I really hope you don't take that much ibuprofen. I used to do that for cramps in my teens/early 20's and it thinned the lining of my stomach permanently so I can no longer tolerate ibuprofen or asprin products.

So please play it safe. Ask your dr WHY they want to do that to you and if there's a better alternative.

-A